The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Movie: 1917
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:36 pm 

Today a group of us "seniors" went to see the new movie 1917 at the theater. 4 of the group were civilians and 2 of us USN vets. As the theater was "assigned seating" we couldn't all sit together, so the 2 Navy vets (myself being one) sat down front.

Not knowing what the storyline or premise of the movie was, we went into this quite blindly. We were both quite satisfied with the movie overall. The settings, uniforms, equipment, etc. was all pretty much just as it should have been. I'm no WWI expert by any means, but I have several books about the war which I have read (well, we all had to read All's Quiet On The Western Front in high school in the 1960s) and having owned 2 different WWI era military rifles, am somewhat acquainted with the equipment of the day.

We were impressed with the reality of the movie and it didn't stray from the main premise (delivering a message to the front lines before they launched a fatal attack). The actors (as far as I am aware of) were unknowns but in my opinion did a good job.

I recommend it as an interesting view of a much larger conflict which was dirty, nasty, and horrible in all aspects. I predict it will in time be a mainstay college "anti-war" war movie shown on campuses as similar ones were shown in the 1970s as rallying points for the anti-Vietnam crowd.

My friend and I both came away from it not exactly entertained, but more educated in the realities those troops experienced over 100 years ago.

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS PENNSYLVANIA (BB-38) Late '40 1:200
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Movie: 1917
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:35 pm 

Hello Hank,

a goodish film by the sound of it - I hope to get to see it some time this week. If you haven't seen it already I really recommend "Journey's End', based on the 1929 play by R.C Sherriff who served with (and was wounded in) the 9th Battalion/East Surrey Regiment. Set largely in an officers' dugout on the eve of the massive 21st March "Michael" offensive - some companies of the 9th East Surrey battalion were practically annihilated). Visually excellent and supported by a dedicated group of actors/role players specializing in the WW1 theme. It ties in nicely with the equally excellent book "Six Weeks - The Short and Gallant Life of the British Officer in the First World War" by John Lewis-Stempel.

Cheers
GrahamB

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:12 pm 

Graham,

Thanks so much for the reply and suggestion! I'll have to check that out (Journey's End) - it seems that with the century mark of WWI, more interest (if that's the correct adjective to use) in things related to this war are now appearing. I hate to say this but from what I see and hear from others, not a lot of interest or talk about the War to End All Wars in the States. Of course, there really isn't much that I can see being taught in the public schools about ANY history of our country much less world history unless it can push the various agendas now trending with the millennials, etc. (Certainly not TRUTH or actual facts and events, etc. IMHO).

One of my friends who attended today's show and I spoke a while ago about 1917 and both of us agreed that this is not a typical war movie, actually it's not a typical movie with all the usual stars, plots, and so forth - it's a single line story about 2 guys sent out to fulfill a mission.

Well, I'll be interested to see others opinions on this one.

Thanks,

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:56 am 

I can summarize "1917" in one word: "Brutal"

The movie is filmed in such a way to make the experience of the main characters almost ceaseless, providing at least a small sense of what those boys must have been experiencing in the Great War. It neither glamorizes or criticizes the war, merely focusing on those simply trying to survive and do a job.

I honestly loved it. We saw it in the new Dolby theater here in NOLA, which only added to the anxiety and apprehension. We desperately need more films like this.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:07 pm 

Chris wrote:
Quote:
The movie is filmed in such a way to make the experience of the main characters almost ceaseless, providing at least a small sense of what those boys must have been experiencing in the Great War. It neither glamorizes or criticizes the war, merely focusing on those simply trying to survive and do a job.

I honestly loved it. We saw it in the new Dolby theater here in NOLA, which only added to the anxiety and apprehension. We desperately need more films like this.

I like your impression - I totally agree - and it was a very brutal war - not that any of them are not, just by today's standards, I guess - much grittier if that's the word.

Thanks for your comments!

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:39 pm 

I am looking forward to seeing this film.My father (born 1894) served in the Trenches from late 1915 to August 1916 ,and told me much about life in the trenches.One day when I was a lad we were watching a Western and the hero was using a Winchester Rifle.He told me he used a Winchester ,and I thought he had been a cowboy.he said no he had trained on them before being issued with the Lee-Enfield .A couple of years ago I attended a lecture on WW1 and the subject of these Winchesters came up.Apparently ,at the outbreak of war ,a local shipping magnate formed a battalion of volunteers ,but they had no rifles ,so he telegraphed his New York office to buy 500 rifles and ammo,Two weeks later Winchester rifles turned up in Hull.After being badly Gassed in August 16 ,Dad came back to "Blighty",and was put in charge of a 50 girls from the WAACs.A pleasant change from the trenches !

Regards Phil (born 1947)

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:39 pm 

Phil,

Wow! Thanks so much for the very interesting and personal WWI information & connection. I had one uncle who served in the U.S.N. in WWI but I don't have any other info on his service at this time.

I hope you enjoy the movie - your connections to The Great War are obviously closer to home.

Hank (born 1946)

Builder's yard:
Finished:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:14 pm 

Going with my wife and a couple friends to see it this Sunday. Heard nothing but good things about the quality of the film.

Love building and CAD modeling WWII Capital Ships

1/1200 Battle of Hampton Roads diorama in progress
1/1200 1945 USS Pennsylvania CAD model in progress

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:32 am 

Just saw it in Dolby a surround theater so it manage to scare a lot of people in the public. Well made movie, made me dig up my Joe Sacco box about the Somme again.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:44 pm 

I saw it this afternoon and was generally impressed but thought the ending was rather flat. Why it needed the dismal Cumberbatch to utter a few banal and cliched lines beats me as well. It was very ambitious (perhaps too ambitious) in its scope and I thought the trench scenes most effective. The most jarring scene (spoiler alert) was the fall into the raging torrential river that a few minutes before was a navigable canal-like feature. This, together with the large waterfall and hard upland rocks and vegetation, was somewhat gratuitous and is also becoming a movie cliche. Schofield climbs out then walks through the wood to come across a chalk downland vista. Mmmm...

Anyway, good too see WW1 being depicted in a mainstream movie and the British as the main military characters. I can't recall any family members being involved in WW1 (grandfathers too young, great-grandfathers too old) apart from a great uncle who was a fitter in the RFC.

Cheers, GrahamB

Report this post