The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:14 am 

Hi Áron,

As an extra thought, the unrotated projectile weapons, two on Y turret and one on B turret, would be being removed and pom poms put in their place. It would be an 8 barrel mount on B turret and a four barrel on Y.

All of her high angle directors and the pom pom directors received splinter padding protection to stop shell splinter damage which had occurred during the battle with Bismarck and Prinz Eugen.

Again hope this is some use
Best wishes
Cag.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:26 pm 

Thank you, Cag, you helped me a lot! Hood Assiciation has truly remarkable and detailed informations and pictures of the damages PoW suffered. I also have some impression of the paintig job as the page has pictures of the lower hull as well.

The only new question is that the report wrote at 8th, June sad "On Friday 6th June, on pumping out the dry dock..." I assume that between 27th May and that day the ship was in the dock in water. Maybe the engineers of the dock had repaired the upper damages on the deck and on the superstructure, and after that was the water pumped out. This may interfere with my plan showing the ship under paintig and repairing the upper damages....

I have already red about the replacement of the UP weapons to pom-poms, the kit gave only those anyway. Also much obliged to you on the 20 mm AA topic!

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:11 am 

Hi Áron,

No problem, I'm happy to help. I have her ships logs so if it's ok with you and it doesn't stop your work, I'll take a look this weekend and post some details for you then, it's just I'm away from home at the moment and cant view them.

I know the dock was pumped out and the 15 inch shell was discovered and removed for investigation by ordnance officers. I also know there is a aerial image in a Scottish Archive of Rosyth with PoW in dock. If I'm remembering correctly she was bow in, ie her stern was next to the dock gate and it was No 1 dock, but again I'll make sure for you.

It's sounds an exciting project, my uncle served aboard PoW from her completion to sinking so your build will be an often viewed one for me!

Best wishes
Cag.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:21 am 

Hello Cag!

That would be awesome, thanks! You probably will not cause any delay as I will have a 24 hour shift tomorrow at my work (hooray). And of course I haven't convinced myself yet to start the kit. Deciding which part should be the first is always the hardest part for me. As I would like to do some electrical work on the diorama (absolute dummy for phisics of course) planning the whole process may last for several days (maybe weeks) before the actual work.
All of the ships were positioned bow in on the archives I have found (PoW, KGV, QE, DoY) so I'm gonna make the diorama accordingly unless I found something against of it.

I hope your unce were among the the ones who had abandoned the ship in time and told you the story himself! I cannot imagine how extremely brutal could have been those naval battles. When I first saw the drawing of the shell hits at Denmark Staright I thought: 6 hits oh come on, what is that for a battleship. But after I flipped through the images on Hood Associtaions web page you recommended and red about the penetration of the shells via several metal decks and bulkwards and see the splinter damages as well I just simply astonished.

Best wishes!

Áron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:51 am 

Hi All,

Hi Áron, hope the shift has gone well, I know that feeling! I've had a look and can tell you that you're correct on the dock used, and that PoW was bow in to the dock, the image shows that.

Prince of Wales arrived at Rosyth on the 30th May and was taken into the outer basin by 18.30 that evening.

The crew began to de fuel and take out her ammo to prepare for docking and the 1st Sea Lord visited. The Board of Inquiry into the loss of Hood arrived and took evidence. On Thursday the 5th June the ship was docked by 13.45. The crew began cleaning and clearing wreckage etc, the shell was found on the 8th and removed and the chains at the bow for the paravanes removed.

US Navy officers and officers from the Duke of York visited and by the 16th June refitting began. On the 19th the 2nd in command of the Home Fleet Vice Admiral Curteis hoisted his flag on PoW. Repainting began on the 27th June and by the 30th she was out of the dock and back in the outer basin where repainting continued.

So I would say your idea of showing some camo being painted in dock is feasible, as her log says it began on the 27th. I would guess it could be hull, but could be anywhere you decide as it's your model and your imagination!

I hope that helps and gives you something to work with. I've also seen images of Queen Elizabeth and other ships where the outline of the camo pattern has been marked on the hull in paint and the relevant paint name marked inside the shapes. I don't know if PoW may or may not have had this but there is artistic licence!

Very best of luck with the project, I will look forward to it. My uncle was a pom pom gunner so was released late and had to leave the ship as she sank, and was wounded so managed to be sent to Colombo rather than remain in Malaya. He didnt talk much about it, I think the sight of lost friends affected him, we forget that part of the clean up we see written in the logs include the human remains. He did say that those killed in the Bismarck battle were buried at sea on the way to Iceland which, together with Hood's loss, was very hard.

Although they believed they'd hit Bismarck it was never spoken of out of respect for those lost on Hood.

Best wishes
Cag.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:52 am 

That helps a lot, Cag, thank you again your work!

Painting the borders of the different colours and paint in the name could be an interesting feature, maybe I'm gonna make it. But it could be a sensitive issue as the precise colours of the camouflage are a bit controversial according the PoW camouflage topic after all. James Duff at Sovereignhobbies, EJ and the other PoW "scolars" may made a consensus on that, but who knows that will be the ultimate colour code? I definitely don't but I did not make any proper research on the topic as the abovementioned gentlemans.
So, according to your findings I think they had cleared up the mess first, changeg damaged platings and superstructure elements, made some modernisation like the new radar insertion and also the pom-poms. Only after that come the painting of the lower part of the hull, launching (not sure this is the proper phrase) and finally finished the painting on the upper hull and the superstructure.

I insist on displaying some of the damage, the hull painting and maybe the mount of the type 271 radar.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:13 pm 

Hi Áron

You're welcome, I think it will be a great model whatever you decide. Perhaps if you really want some kind of camo, the outline of a pattern somewhere would do?

There is a short black and white film of the crew of PoW painting her after the trip to Newfoundland, one shot shows the forward HACS tower with a crew member sitting on a plank suspended by rope with a long handled paintbrush painting the curved part of the tower structure under where the director sat! No lifeline or harness, health and safety in 1941!

Just as an after thought, during the battle the ships boats took damage, 3 destroyed the rest damaged so boats would be somewhat absent or in the process of being replaced.

Any further info you need don't hesitate to ask,
Best wishes
Cag.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:19 pm 

Ahh, yes, I really hate to paint the little boats, I already decided to skip them this time. Don't know why I have this revulsion because the assembling and upgrading of the boats are delightsome but the paintwork... just not my cup of tea. And I also want to show the damage on the boat deck (is it the proper name?) and on the aft funnel.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:29 pm 

Here I am again with a question about the PoW radars!

Wikipedia said (yeah, yeah I know, never ever use it) that there were Type 279 radars on the masts. I'm not sure but I think saw a picture of the ship on this topic with this information as well.

But according to this picure:

PoW had type 281 radars instead of 279.

Could somebody help me please?

Flyhawk also gave 281 PE radars.

Thanks

Áron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:53 pm 

From the horse's mouth:

Attachments:
2019 1 26 049 - Copy - Copy.JPG
2019 1 26 049 - Copy - Copy.JPG [ 337.88 KiB | Viewed 4223 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:50 am 

aaron_at_midway wrote:
Hello everyone!

I want to show the ship half repainted to the famous camouflage pattern, something like seen on these picture:

Áron

You can tell me much, but this is not PoW for sure...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:56 pm 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
aaron_at_midway wrote:
Hello everyone!

I want to show the ship half repainted to the famous camouflage pattern, something like seen on these picture:

Áron

You can tell me much, but this is not PoW for sure...

Definitely not PoW, it is the USS Utah, and the ship is not being painted into camo but peacetime gray above the boot topping. (Routine drydocking and repainting)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:13 am 

Dick! Thanks for the original document! Now I'm a bit uncertain whether a second 281 type radar was installed on the aft mast during the refit? It is clearly seen on the pictures of the ship during the Atlantic Carter meeting.

I may wrote my thoughts unclearly: I want to show my ship under the period of the painting of the hull like you can see on the abovementioned picture. I know the that shows a different ship, I only wanted to emphasise the working process on the hull.

Áron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:24 am 

PRINCE OF WALES was completed with a single RDF (later called "radar") Type 281 set. It had two aerials, one (at the after masthead) for transmission and another (at the foremasthead) for reception. Type 279 as fitted in KING GEORGE V had a similar arrangement; the other three ships were completed with Type 281 as in POW. The surviing ship later had the 279 or 281 replaced by Type 281B (which had only one aerial) before deploying to the Far East (by that time it was possible to combine transmit and receive functions in one aerial - on the mainmast in these ships), thus freeing the foremasthead for Type 293.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:48 pm 

G’day all, I’ve found a detail in the KGV class that I’d like some clarification on. The images are of HMS KGV and HMS PoW early in their careers. I’m curious about the circled areas. As you can see they appear to be open areas that have a bulkhead facing outward with carley floats stored on top. I think they might be timber storage areas. There are two of these on each ship. The Tamyia 1/350 scale kit and Profile Morski plans that I have represent these as solid blocks. The images say otherwise. Does anyone have more detail on these?

TIA
David Gatt.

Attachments:
539040C0-4BC6-4E32-BF9E-42C0ADAF3F5A.jpeg
539040C0-4BC6-4E32-BF9E-42C0ADAF3F5A.jpeg [ 120.43 KiB | Viewed 2809 times ]
D63200AA-D598-44C6-AAB1-F3D07184E96A.jpeg
D63200AA-D598-44C6-AAB1-F3D07184E96A.jpeg [ 89.31 KiB | Viewed 2809 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:47 am 

I am making a model of the Prince of Wales battleship and I have seen some of the boats (45ft) painted blue on some models. Is this correct? Or should all boats be painted in basic grey?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:50 pm 

At the time of her sinking, had many of the hull potholes on the Prince of Wales been plated over? The different pictures I have seen are somewhat confusing. Thanks.
Walt Haynes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:06 pm 

hi all. i'm working on a tamiya 1/350 kgV with a mixture of accessories (pontos, eduard and so on) to reproduce the ship in her 1945 fit.
I'm using as per reference Chiesnau, Raven, Koszela and various pictures and articles found on the net, but i was unable to find the exact type of searchligt that the ship carried.
was them 40 inch? 44? i would like to use the north star version of royal navy searchlight, but i can't find the right type to order. i searched this thread with no luck....any help will be more than appreciated :D

-Regia Nave Formidabile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:28 am 

Stefano Salesi wrote:
hi all. i'm working on a tamiya 1/350 kgV with a mixture of accessories (pontos, eduard and so on) to reproduce the ship in her 1945 fit.
I'm using as per reference Chiesnau, Raven, Koszela and various pictures and articles found on the net, but i was unable to find the exact type of searchligt that the ship carried.
was them 40 inch? 44? i would like to use the north star version of royal navy searchlight, but i can't find the right type to order. i searched this thread with no luck....any help will be more than appreciated :D

According to R.A. Burt's British Battleships 1919-1945:
HMS King George V had 6 x 44 inch and 2 x 24 inch signalling searchlights upon completion. This was reduced to 4 x 44 inch and 2 x 24 inch signalling by 1945.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:53 pm 

thank you very much!

cheers from italy!

-Regia Nave Formidabile

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 57  Next