The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 105  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:40 am 

Wilie,

I remember those sound-powered phones VERY WELL indeed!! Wore those all the time on bridge watch and after life-buoy (Mt. 33). Yes, the hours were long, cold, and sometimes rough, but...it made men out of us - Tin Can Sailors!!!

Thanks for passing along,

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:33 am 

Hank,
Thank you for the warm welcome! Glad to "meet" you. I suspect you were on the New Jersey based on your username? If so, you may have fired shells over my father who was a infantryman in the 101st from June 1968-June 1969, he was airlifted all over the place (we are researching a bit where) but spent most of his time around Hue....Camp Eagle, LZ Sally, the A Shau Valley.

THE Rick Davis is the Rick E. Davis on the site?....that is fantastic! Very excited to learn from you all. Rick the armaments configuration graphic on the destroyerhistory.org website is fantastic! So, helpful. Thank you for all your hard work.

My grandpa enlisted 10/30/1942 (in Detroit) did his training in the great lakes in Chicago or Milwaukee (where he met my grandmother), was assigned to the BURNS in 1943 as she launched in Charleston, and left the navy 11/7/1945.

I have a scrapbook with some photos...here is one of the BURNS berthed in what I think is Tsingtao, China in 1945.
Attachment:
Folsom 033 _00031A.jpg
Folsom 033 _00031A.jpg [ 247.13 KiB | Viewed 2738 times ]

--Kelly Robert Folsom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:25 pm 

Kelly,

Yes, I was aboard NEW JERSEY during her entire Vietnam deployment (Sept. 68-April 69). We ranged from below Cam Ranh Bay to above the DMZ along the NVN coast (until the bombing halt in late '68).

I would say that if you purchase the E Plan Book from The Floating Drydock, you'll be well on your way to super detail the 1/144 FLETCHER kit from Revell. As I've mentioned, I'll be using the same kit to build my 1966-68 STODDARD.

This Forum has a lot of modeling experience in all areas of ship models, but ESPECIALLY steel hulled warships, so you've made a good choice in your modeling neighborhood!!!

Hank

Builder's yard:
Finished:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:59 pm 

Willie, be careful with the things you say about CIC; I spent the better part of 22 years there!! LOL

I actually enjoyed the cold immensely, especially on WestPacs in the summer months. And you get use to the 6hours on/6hours off.

Best,

Currently on the building ways:
1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Cook Inlet AVP-36
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:41 pm 

Kelly,

Sorry for a delay. Things are happening for me (starting construction of a garage, seeding bare spots in my yard, and my Alaska trip just "officially" got cancelled so I have to cancel reservations and travel), for the last few days.

First off the Bath Iron Works (BIW) FLETCHER CLASS ENGINEERING DRAWINGS DVD is still available. After Dave McComb died, the TINCAN SAILOR's organization took over responsibilities for selling the DVD. I posted the contact info a couple of times in this thread, but here is a link to where the current POC for ordering the DVD ... viewtopic.php?f=49&t=8105&p=636154&hilit=BIW+Fletcher+class+Engineering+Drawings+DVD#p647860 ... Right now, I don't know if anyone is in their office, but try calling, the E-Mail request route is always iffy. It is overwhelming going through the drawings, because as Hank said, there is one easy way to search through it. But, if you have the time, just cruise through it and keep notes as to where you found major highlights. There likely is a similar set of Engineering drawings for the CHARLESTON NAVY YARD built FLETCHERS at the National Archives (NARA-College Park, MD) as well, but besides going there (they are closed right now), it is expensive to get them copied. Dave, spent the big bucks years ago copying the BIW drawings (back when it wasn't nearly as expensive as it would be now). At the Archives, you can go through the original microfilm reels and make paper or digital (better) copies of each frame. Still the cost can add up, but is useful. The BIW drawings should be at least 90% common with the BIW drawings.

I have about 15 images of USS BURNS (DD-588), taken at various times during her career. Including a different image of USS BURNS in China in December 1945. She had several configurations during that time, but only two during her career in the Pacific, so deciding when you would like to model your build would help in knowing what you need. I would suggest that to PM/E-Mail me from the Messages app here and I could start E-Mailing you full size images.

As for models to use. I'm not a fan of the 1/144 scale Revell kit. It has a lot of problems and several inaccuracies and as you will find, it will be expensive to get all the 1/144 scale parts 3-D printed to convert the kit to a Square-Bridge unit, like USS BURNS. Basically, you are starting from a hull and deckhouses from the kit and not using much else. Going with a 1/350 scale kit would be cheaper and even if you do decide to build a 1/144 scale version, the experience would help you. The Trumpeter THE SULLIVANS kit is probably the best option for you to use as a start. It has problems as well. God, I wish someone would make an updated model of the FLETCHERS, no kit is perfect, but those out there range from old to terrible.

Here is an image of USS BURNS (DD-588) close to the end of her USN career, prior to her being used as a target and sunk in 1976. There seems to be an issue with posting/viewing right now. Try clicking on the icon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:59 am 

Hi there Mr. Ross and all,

bwross11 wrote:
Willie, be careful with the things you say about CIC; I spent the better part of 22 years there!!

Sir, no offence meant, sir... :cool_2: At the time I would have preferred artillery, torpedos or missiles (deck party to be avoided at all costs!!!) but I see things in a way different perspective now. Definitely the CIC is the place to learn about naval warfare. Period.
Actually, to have served afloat in any position would have been enough for me. I can see now that I had one of the best.

bwross11 wrote:
I actually enjoyed the cold immensely, especially on WestPacs in the summer months. And you get use to the 6hours on/6hours off.

I didn´t. We used to be stationed at US Naval Station Rota, in the south of Spain, very close to the world wide famous "Costa del Sol", and getting from the outside to the CIC was always a shock for me, changing from T-shirt to winter uniform and coat if I didn´t want to die on the spot. For Six hours in a row.
One of the good things, other than Naval knowledge: I used to spend the idle moments drawing on the DRT, which had some light. Things like this, that I still keep:
Attachment:
(518).jpg
(518).jpg [ 54.49 KiB | Viewed 2687 times ]

All things considered, whoever has not served in the Navy does not know what he is missing !!!
Nice to have met a CIC mate.

Nice going and best regards,

Willie.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:54 am 

Willie its all good! And I fully agree with the deck division sentiment; only thing close would have been to mess cook! No offense to any supply types that loiter here.

I never had a chance to do a cruise in the Med; spent the bulk of my service in the Pacific, either out of Pearl or San Diego. Your DRT doodles were very good, glad you hung onto it.

Fair winds shipmate.

"Chief" Ross

Currently on the building ways:
1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Cook Inlet AVP-36
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:18 am 

Although mess cooking was usually assigned to new SAs, etc. when they arrived aboard ship out of boot camp, my only "official" mess cooking was in boot camp during the 4th week. Actually, it was a good break from the normal routine of getting your ass kicked, ordered here & there, long days in class, and so forth.

My shipboard mess cooking consisted all of one evening helping out one of my commissaryman shipmates getting potatoes peeled up on the "spud locker" in the rain during a week long training cruise off the California coast in 1966. I realized then that there were other "more desirable" rates to look into :big_grin: ! I was at that time an SN assigned to 1st Division (Deck Force) working on the boat deck maintaining our 26' MTBs.

For those who've never been near a FLETCHER class DD - the galley is about midships on the port side, main deck. That's where all food is prepared, etc. and then hand carried below to the crew's mess which is located on the 2nd platform athwartships, approx. under Mount 52. The steam line & bread locker are on the port side (where you enter) and on the opposite side of the ship is the scullery. This is not a real desirable layout for food prep, serving, and cleanup, needless to say. The SUMNER/GIERING class DDs were an improvement on this arrangement in that the galley was accessed thru the midships passageway which went fore/aft INSIDE, so food could be carried to the messdeck without exposure to the elements.

One night during our 66-67 Westpac cruise during heavy seas, spaghetti was the main dish for supper - one of the messcooks was in a hurry and came running down the STARBOARD side passageway to the ladder and tripped on the door flange at the top of the ladder - his huge kettle of spaghetti sauce & noodles came flying down past the Ship's Office French Door (which I was leaning on watching all this) and landed on a couple 1st class PO's, covering them in hot sauce, etc. My chief and I laughed our asses off at the whole thing (it WAS funny!!!), but those PO1's were not amused. Neither were the guys waiting on spaghetti down in the messdeck. Needless to say, the messcook was On Report for a week not because of dumping the sauce, but because he didn't follow rules and use the correct passageway to enter the messdecks (should have come down the Port Side passageway ladder). As I recall, I managed to catch a small amount of the spaghetti in my right hand and it was pretty good!!! :doh_1:

Donja love sea tales!!!

Builder's yard:
Finished:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:05 pm 

Hi All, even though I am an avid armor/aircraft/railroad modeler, I have always wanted to build a USS Renshaw, as my last name is Renshaw. No, I am not blood related to the namesake (my direct descendants came to the US after the Civil War), but still cool none the less.

I would like to build her late 44 before she was damaged by the torpedo, so in the 43-44 armament config, post overall with the 5 twin 40mm guns. This wont be my first ship build (did some MANY years ago), but have no issue with the work involved.
Plan on also painting her in Dazzle, as it appears she wore such after the AA gun upgrade.

So far, I have lined up:
Tamiya 1/350 Fletcher (round bridge is what is needed)
GMM 1/350 etch detail set
Master yardarms (I plan on making the mast out of brass rod and such)

Also will be getting:
Model Monkey SKU: 350-Fletcher-fwd-Bofors-tubs

Also looking at maybe:
Black Cat Models round Bridge Fletcher set
Black Cat twin 40mm
Black Cat 20mm single mount (I need at least 7?)
Model Monkey 5" turrets (or should I just go with whats in the Black Cat set?)

Anything else suggested? Photos of the Renshaw are few and far (except postwar), so Ill just be going off of simmilar "round bridge" Fletchers with the 43-44 AA gun refit.

Thanks all!
Andy

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:17 pm 

Andy,

Welcome to the "Boat-builder's Club". :big_grin:

First off, USS RENSHAW (DD-499) was upgraded to the five twin 40-mm configuration 31 August to 18 October 1944, at United Engr., SF. Before that she was in the configuration she was completed to (two twin 40-mm mounts) with some additional 20-mm guns added in the forward area. So, if you which to build her in the five twin 40-mm configuration, it will basically be of her during the last year of the war. She was painted in dazzle at the end of her overhaul/upgrade, but likely painted to Ms 21 or Ms 22 in Spring 1945.

As you can see from DANFS, her career in the five twin 40-mm mounts configuration was short. From October 1944 to May 1945 after being torpedoed by an IJN submarine in February 1944.

While in the Mindanao Sea, on 21 February 1945, Renshaw was struck by a torpedo from an enemy submarine. The torpedo exploded on contact about 10 feet below the waterline, flooding the firerooms. The ship lost all power, a large section of the hull was warped by the explosion, and bulkheads and decks were fractured. Even though 19 men were killed and 20 injured, within a matter of minutes, damage control parties had the flooding reduced by half and through their efforts the main propulsion machinery suffered no damage.

Temporary repairs were made in April by the ship's crew and men from the destroyer tender Whitney (AD-4) and the repair ship Prometheus (AR-3). Renshaw then proceeded under her own power from the forward area to the Todd Pacific Shipyards, Inc., Tacoma, Wash., where permanent repairs were completed early in October 1945.

On Navy Day, 27 October 1945, in New York Harbor, President Harry S. Truman reviewed the greatest victory parade in naval history from Renshaw.

After her repairs she was now in the Anti-Kamikaze configuration with two quad 40-mm and three twin 40-mm mounts.

You will need to scratch-build make or purchase two (port and starboard) twin 40-mm waist bulwark and small clipping room deckhouse below that. The big headache, if you desire to be absolutely accurate, is figuring out the "shape of her waist twin mounts bulwarks". There were several different styles being installed, and which type the United Engr., SF installed.

I'll look and see what I have, but as you say, she was a member of the most photo shy DesRon unit in the WWII USN.

Lee Johnson located as far as I know, the only photo of USS RENSHAW in dazzle camo ... http://www.usndazzle.com/ship.php?id=434 ...

Rick

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:42 am 

Rick E Davis wrote:
Welcome to the "Boat-builder's Club". :big_grin:

First off, USS RENSHAW (DD-499) was upgraded to the five twin 40-mm configuration 31 August to 18 October 1944, at United Engr., SF. Before that she was in the configuration she was completed to (two twin 40-mm mounts) with some additional 20-mm guns added in the forward area. So, if you which to build her in the five twin 40-mm configuration, it will basically be of her during the last year of the war. She was painted in dazzle at the end of her overhaul/upgrade, but likely painted to Ms 21 or Ms 22 in Spring 1945.

As you can see from DANFS, her career in the five twin 40-mm mounts configuration was short. From October 1944 to May 1945 after being torpedoed by an IJN submarine in February 1944.............

You will need to scratch-build make or purchase two (port and starboard) twin 40-mm waist bulwark and small clipping room deckhouse below that. The big headache, if you desire to be absolutely accurate, is figuring out the "shape of her waist twin mounts bulwarks". There were several different styles being installed, and which type the United Engr., SF installed.

I'll look and see what I have, but as you say, she was a member of the most photo shy DesRon unit in the WWII USN.

Rick

Hi Rick,
many thanks for the clarification! Yeah I know the period was short, but it does give me the option for some dazzle vs the plain MS 21. I was tempted to do the Kamikaze refit, but I wanted to model her during one of the combat zone deployments. As mentioned I will prob just order up the Model Monkey twin 40 bulwarks...or I could scratchbuild but my time is precious and worth the $$. That said, let me know if you do turn up anything for the bulwark type. Looks like several other ships went in for refit at the same time (including her sister, DD498 Perry), so maybe they all went to the same location and received the same type?

Regards,
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:02 am 
Hello everyone,

My name is Michael and I am in the process of building the 1/350 Tamiya kit as DD-514 Thatcher. I gave most things covered concerning her conversion, except one detail: during a refit (Feb '44?) she got the searchlight platform at the forward funnel. I can recognise a support structure underneath the platform, but I can't make out the exact details of the structure, especially where they attach to at the deck and the platform. I already did some Google searches and went through the whole thread (for some reason Google often ends up here ;-) ), but I couldn't find something that clarifies the matter for me. Maybe someone can help me out with pictures or even a drawing of the area?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:19 pm 

Michael,

A little background on the upgrade history of USS THATCHER (DD-514).

She was one of the last units completed to the Four 40-mm configuration (one twin 40-mm mount on the fantail) in February 1943 at BosNY.

After returning from Shakedown, she was upgraded to the next standard configuration at BosNY 4-20 April 1943, the Six 40-mm configuration. The fantail twin 40-mm mount was removed and two wing twin 40-mm mounts were installed abreast the aft stack. It was during this mod that the searchlight platform and lights were moved to the forward stack.

After further training on the East Coast, USS THATCHER was sent to the Pacific in late June 1943. By then the standard configuration was again upgraded to the Ten 40-mm configuration and she was so modified at MINY 4-25 July 1943 (along with USS SCHROEDER (DD-501) and USS FULLAM (DD-474)). So as you can see within five months, she had three different configurations. USS THATCHER had one more overhaul before her kamikaze damage in July 1945 made her a Constructive Total Loss. At MINY in December 1943-January 1944, she required repair collision damage and was painted in a dazzle scheme. Not much was changed to her during that overhaul that is visible, except for mods to the forward twin 40-mm mounts and Mk 51 directors bulwarks.

When the standard configuration was changed to the Six 40-mm configuration, the searchlight platform was moved to the forward stack and there were several variations tried because of vibration issues in that location noted on the first upgraded units. But, specific to THATCHER herself, she had a fairly robust structure under the platform that many other FLETCHER's didn't replicate because it restricted movements on the 01 deck.

Below are four images showing this area. The first three are of USS THATCHER. The first two show the area in 1943 and the third shows the same area at the end of her 1944 yard period. You can see that there are four supports from the platform down to the deck. Two are in the back going down by the stack and two further forward going down to the deck. All four are angled toward the centerline on the deck. Exact angle will need to be a guess. There are heavy cross braces on either side and in front connecting these four braces together. But no cross braces between the back pair of supports. Also, note that the ladder going up to the searchlight platform in front. Most FLETCHERS didn't have this much support structure, with many just having two supports, one under each light angled inward. This appears to be a BosNY design since USS FULLAM (DD-474) had the same structure and the fourth image is a really good view of this structure area.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:33 am 

Thank you Rick, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Actually, from looking at various pictures of other ships, I already came to the conclusion it would end up like this, but I wasn't really convinced, because it looked inevitable not to bang one's head passing the area, even though the decks of Fletchers are pretty crowded. Two interesting details I wasn't aware: the vertical I-beams (square rod will have to do at the scale) and the forward bracing. :thumbs_up_1:

Here two pictures of her in her current state:

Attachments:
Thatcher 039.jpg
Thatcher 039.jpg [ 245.39 KiB | Viewed 2430 times ]
Thatcher 040.jpg
Thatcher 040.jpg [ 253.4 KiB | Viewed 2430 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:53 pm 

Sorry, I have to point out that your bulwark shapes for the midships twin 40-mm mounts isn't right. You have the most common style installed after several variations were tried out. USS THATCHER (DD-514) had an early design installed by BosNY.

Whether you want to change it is dependent on now accurate you want the model to be.

Midships overhead view of THATCHER on 24 Just 1943 at MINY.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:26 am 

Oh dear, once you start scratching on the surface...

...thanks for pointing that out, I felt something was a little odd in that area, but I couldn't make it out from the picture I had. But I'll leave it as it is now, correcting it now might do more damage than good. To both model and my motivation...

...another question for the moment, all that small deck and bridge equipment like directors, pelorus, observation seats, winches... as well as Bofors and Oerlikons, are they in a uniform color (which?) or matched to their surrounding? Sorry for all those questions, I'n kind of a virgin regarding ship models :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:48 pm 

Hello to all you comrades Fletcher-class fans.

I am a modeller from Russia. My best friend is currently building a model of USS Black DD-666. He is in desperate need of good pictures of this ship's rear Bofors shelter.
If you have it and can share, my friend and I would be most grateful. Info in text form is also welcome.
Essentially, the question is which type out of the three in the picture was on USS Black as of late war and before modernization and are there any additional things attached on the outside.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
66gOkZ9oiBg.jpg
66gOkZ9oiBg.jpg [ 78.06 KiB | Viewed 2003 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:58 pm 

USS BLACK (DD-666) was a Federal-Built unit. She was updated to the five twin 40-mm mounts configuration in mid-1943 and stayed in that basic configuration throughout WWII. Her last wartime overhaul was completed in February 1945.

The first three images below show her configuration in September 1943, February 1945, and in 1951 as she was recommissioned for the Korean War. When she was initially recommissioned, she was in the exact same configuration as she decommissioned at the end of WWII after her February 1945 overhaul, with only a few changes made. I selected these three images because two provide aerial views of this area and the third shows her configuration in February 1945 as her overhaul completed. Many other images of USS BLACK are profile views and are difficult to see the aft twin 40-mm mount configuration.

Of your three "options" for the aft twin 40-mm mount configuration, USS BLACK wasn't equipped with the Mk 49 director as seen in the closest image and of the other two images, they are basically the same except for a surround for the Mk 51 director. From the images I have posted, you can see that she has a surround for the Mk 51 in September 1943 which would have been the same to the end of 1944 prior to her overhaul. See the first image. When USS BLACK finished her February 1945 overhaul, she had an elevated platform for the aft Mk 51 director, with a pipe railing surround that may or may not have been canvas covered. See the second image. However, after her February 1945 overhaul, she had a bulwark surround installed around the Mk 51 director, plus an extension added on the portside only for additional controls. The extension is an "L-shaped" bulwark open at the aft end with controls mounted on the inside (in 1/700 or 1/350 scale this would be minor details). I wish I had a dead overhead view of this area to show the shape and arrangement better, but I don't. This mod was done on only a few FLETCHERS in the early 1945 timeframe, in the forward areas. See the third image.

I have another image of a similarly modified sister, this destroyer has an additional panel higher than on USS BLACK, ID isn't certain, but likely is USS STEMBEL (DD-644). See the fourth image.

Depending on when you want to model USS BLACK, would determine which configuration you would build your model to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:24 am 

Thank you so much, Rick.

My friend and I will analyze the pictures along with your answer thoroughly a bit later. Just by looking at the pictures I can already see they will help greatly, however I can't get my head around them properly yet.
Speaking of detail, my friend is now building the Black in 1/350, but eventually is going to make another one from 1/144 Revell USS Fletcher kit. When it comes to that, there won't be a detail too small to account for. Hence the need for info.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:55 am 

Got another question, if you don't mind: what are the additional controls you mentioned?

And do you have any pictures of the same quality for this ship?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 105  Next