The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:49 pm 

73north wrote:
Trumpeter 1/350 Bismarck brand new kit review - released and for sale
I thought it was only coming out in April 2020 , but its available here for sale NOW

The Kit details are Shown here in great detail on youtube - wonderful review of the Trumpeter Bismarck 1/350
I am certain this kit will sell well , as the Revell Bismarck is just okay , and the Tamiya Bismarck
although it fits together well shows its age now coming from 1986 -
one thing is that the Kit Hull - has hull stiffeners as shown earlier on a Chinese Facebook page I spotted
and that the Black ' Dry Dock' Trumpeter Kit Display is still being used

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9tjJKDw2qA

enjoy !

Different parts layout and PE included, but otherwise looks the same as the Revell 1/350 upon first viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:03 am 

Did anyone see Trumpeter has announced the Tirpitz in 1/200 scale this year! I've been hoping they would do the Tirpitz.

Attachments:
84470055_1473670619458193_4783639535248474112_o.jpg
84470055_1473670619458193_4783639535248474112_o.jpg [ 366.66 KiB | Viewed 9426 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:40 pm 

Max61 wrote:
Did anyone see Trumpeter has announced the Tirpitz in 1/200 scale this year! I've been hoping they would do the Tirpitz.

That’s one I’ll take. :cool_1:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:30 pm 

Question regarding Bismarck's signal yards: during the Denmark Strait battle, the order for "open fire" was "jot dora" - assuming this was sent via signal flags in addition to wireless and/or signal lamps, which yard would the signals have been raised on? The forward yards just above the bridge that are angled towards the bow, or the yards on the mainmast?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:25 pm 

Hello everybody,

on the Bismarck on the spring of 1941, just before sailing for Op. Rheinubung, there was a new small platform added aside ( one on each side ) of the Admiral bridge.

This small platform was made in order to serve the small signal lamp as well as a new position for the sailor making flag signals from a dedicated elevated position at the corner of the platform itself.

I assume that the signal's from the Bismarck to the Prinz Eugen were made from that position on the Bismarck port side.

Basically doing the opposite of what you can see on the attached photo being done from Prinz Eugen to Bismarck on this photo on April 19th, 1941 in the baltic sea doing some training.

Bye, Antonio Bonomi :-)

Attachments:
BS-Apr-41.jpg
BS-Apr-41.jpg [ 64.35 KiB | Viewed 9215 times ]
BS_bridge_new_signal_platform.jpg
BS_bridge_new_signal_platform.jpg [ 185.64 KiB | Viewed 9213 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:13 pm 

Thanks Antonio, that helps. Tricky to pull off in 1/700, though!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:21 am 

Antonio Bonomi wrote:
Hello everybody,

on the Bismarck on the spring of 1941, just before sailing for Op. Rheinubung, there was a new small platform added aside ( one on each side ) of the Admiral bridge.

This small platform was made in order to serve the small signal lamp as well as a new position for the sailor making flag signals from a dedicated elevated position at the corner of the platform itself.

I assume that the signal's from the Bismarck to the Prinz Eugen were made from that position on the Bismarck port side.

Basically doing the opposite of what you can see on the attached photo being done from Prinz Eugen to Bismarck on this photo on April 19th, 1941 in the baltic sea doing some training.

I agree. Unless memory fails me, the war diaries really don't say how the signals were sent/received, but signal lamp makes the most sense simply because of their respective positions; the lamps should have been visible from PG (Prinz Eugen) even from her position well ahead of BS (Bismarck). Of course, I suppose coded signals via wireless would also have worked since they already knew they were sighted by four enemy ships (and soon to be one aircraft). Of course, BS would go on to use her wireless a bit too much in the coming days...but thank goodness(for us) that she did.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:33 am 

Antonio Bonomi wrote:
Hello everybody,

I consider that very unlikely. The new platform is too close to the admirals bridge and there would have been a risk that the signal is partially covered. In the 3D-picture you've posted there is the same small platform for signals (at the right of the red circle) like on Prinz Eugen. It's an much more exposed position and therefore well visible from another ship.

However, I don't think that the signal was made by flag semaphores. It's more likely that the flag signal was flying on the main- or foremast. There was in any case a separate flag line on the main mast just for battle signals.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:49 pm 

For a beginner in models, which 1/350 Tirpitz and aftermarket set affords the best build process and quality? I'm deciding mainly between Tamiya and Academy as they seem the most beginner friendly brands.

Maybe Revell, but I don't want that platinum edition Tirpitz because it has extensive frets of PE and brass gun barrels. I'm not looking for that level of hyper detail.

Just want a decent plastic kit and a basic aftermarket PE set - ideally the less frets, the better, as I struggle with PE and wouldn't want to mess up on the Tirpitz.

1/350 British pre-dreadnought battleship HMS Agamemnon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:16 pm 

The Tamiya and Academy are identical kits asides from potential molding quality and the display stand, so you don't really have to choose there.

To keep the PE simple, look for some of the older brands, like White Ensign Models, Tom's Modelworks, and Gold Model Models. Of these, the Tom's set is the most barebones, as there are additional frets you can buy separately, and it doesn't include parts dedicated to Bismarck like the other two which combines both ships' unique parts into the same fret(s).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:32 pm 

Are there any in-detail reviews of a new Trumpeter 1/350 Bismarck and 1/200 Scharnhorst?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:57 pm 

Zacharias wrote:
Are there any in-detail reviews of a new Trumpeter 1/350 Bismarck and 1/200 Scharnhorst?

Both in German, both from the same German ship modeling website.

Bismarck review: http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?op ... tid=69:tru

Scharnhorst preview: http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?op ... tid=69:tru

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:22 pm 

Many thanks Martin, exactly what I was looking for, very helpful links.
Bismarck seems to be a a visible (but no major) improvement over already very good Revell kit.
Big new 1/200 Scharnhorst is suffering from a bit of unexpected shortcomings, but overall very nice presentation of that majestic, elegantly designed German battleship.

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Zacharias wrote:

Both in German, both from the same German ship modeling website.

Bismarck review: http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?op ... tid=69:tru

Scharnhorst preview: http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?op ... tid=69:tru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:05 am 

That discussion about Scharnhorst class (battlecruiser or battleship) is as old as Universe, and I am well aware of controversies regarding that matter.
Have no intention to add to that discussion, fell free to call it as you wish, does not matter much, Scharnhorst remains one of the most beautiful warships ever built.

DavidP wrote:
battlecruiser not battleship. she was sunk by a battleship, HMS Duke of York, Kirishima sunk by a battleship, USS Wahington & Scharnhorst and Gneisenau turned tail after engaging 15" guns battlecruiser HMS Renown.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:42 pm 

Hola

For my friend José María Rico, (http://www.kbismarck.com/
http://www.kbismarck.org/forum/index.php) I have done this:

https://lnkd.in/dEQMN9J

If you follow the link and click on the image you can download a higher resolution version.

Regards

Last edited by mpgl62 on Fri May 01, 2020 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:01 pm 

Is there finally a definitive general agreement about Bismarck camouflage scheme during The Battle of the Denmark Strait and used colors?

There is a lot of contradicting information to be found across the web, confusing variations of used shades of dark and light gray on finished models, was waterline black or black-gray, what is correct shade of hull red, Swastikas over-painted or not, false painted waves, turret tops color etc ... so, please, help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:16 pm 

Zacharias wrote:
Is there finally a definitive general agreement about Bismarck camouflage scheme during The Battle of the Denmark Strait and used colors?

There is a lot of contradicting information to be found across the web, confusing variations of used shades of dark and light gray on finished models, was waterline black or black-gray, what is correct shade of hull red, Swastikas over-painted or not, false painted waves, turret tops color etc ... so, please, help.

There are plenty of photos available on the internet searches that show the false bow wave still present when the ship was photographed leaving Norway. It stands to reason that it would not have been over painted during a high speed sea run to enter the Atlantic. The swastikas are present on the wreck. I am pretty sure I read that they were covered over with canvas.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:37 pm 

The swastikas are visible on the wreck, but there are streaks throughout that can be interpreted as faded grey paint or the wood underneath. Faded paint would seem plausible given the rushed job it'd have to have been if it was used.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:23 am 

Hello

Obviously, there is not a definitive solution to the issues raised. At Kbismarck there are some of the best Bismarck experts.

We cannot affirm that the scheme is 100% correct, but it is very plausible. Colors have been defined according to RAL specifications and have been lighted by 25% due to the scale effect.

The drawing will be updated if we can find more information. Stay tuned at KBismarck.

Regards

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:18 pm 

Thanks for reply.
Please, could you provide links to photographs used as a reference for making that drawing?

mpgl62 wrote:
Hello

Obviously, there is not a definitive solution to the issues raised. At Kbismarck there are some of the best Bismarck experts.

We cannot affirm that the scheme is 100% correct, but it is very plausible. Colors have been defined according to RAL specifications and have been lighted by 25% due to the scale effect.

The drawing will be updated if we can find more information. Stay tuned at KBismarck.

Regards

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 61  Next