The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:34 pm 

Any update on the Trumpeter 1/700 JFK kit? Seems like it has gone the way of the Dragon CVAN-65 Enterprise kit.

I was really hoping that it would come out before the Kitty Hawk and Conny.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:40 pm 

Their latest catalog for 2019-2020 now shows a painted box art, so it's progressing!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:35 pm 

roym wrote:
A JFK modelling related question. Is the hull of CV-67 the same as CV-66? I want to convert the Italeri CV-66 kit to a JFK so that I have a model of CV-67 that fits in with the rest of my collection ( the Monogram kit is too small a scale). I know the sponsons, island and flight deck are different but I'm more worried by hull length, width, profile, draught, and hangar deck door opening positions. Or is she closer to a Nimitz in size and profile?
Apologies if this has been asked before.

TIA,
Roy

Roy, I know others have answered this, and it's probably a day late and a dollar short, but the America and Kennedy hulls are the exact same. I have the plans and hull sections for the America, as I am building her in 192nd and 350th scale, and they list clearly for CV-66 & CV-67.

Hope it confirms?

Michael Clare

On the Ways:
Scratch-building: 1/192 USS America CV-66

Finished:
Scratch-built: 1/192 USS Arcadia AD-23
Kits: 1/350 Adm. Kuznetsov & USS Wasp LHD-1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:07 pm 

roym wrote:
A JFK modelling related question. Is the hull of CV-67 the same as CV-66? I want to convert the Italeri CV-66 kit to a JFK so that I have a model of CV-67 that fits in with the rest of my collection ( the Monogram kit is too small a scale). I know the sponsons, island and flight deck are different but I'm more worried by hull length, width, profile, draught, and hangar deck door opening positions. Or is she closer to a Nimitz in size and profile?
Apologies if this has been asked before.

TIA,
Roy

Roy the J.F.K and America hull is the same. I use the 1/350 J.F.K hull into the America. Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:33 pm 

Roy,

I just completed the AMERICA to Kennedy conversion using the Italeri kits. Challenging build, specifically grafting the Nimitz flight deck port angle deck to the America flight deck. Scratch building the after part of the island was also a bit of a challenge. But in the end I am very pleased with the end result. And to your point, it fits with my collection of modern carriers, all of which are Italeri kits.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:31 am 

To mclare, gtbred and William Smallshaw, thanks for that;
The project is on long-term hold as I currently get to grips with correcting 3 (out of 4) Italeri CVN-76 & -77 islands to proper length, as well as adding missing structures to 4 Italeri Nimitz-class islands, using spares from the above mentioned kits as well as plastic sheet, strip and a lot of swearing....

William, do you have any photos of the project? as in where to make the cut on the 2 respective flight decks?
Thanks,
Roy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:14 pm 

Roy,

Unfortunately I only took photographs after I painted the deck. I will need to edit the file, too large for this board. That said, one posted, if you look carefully you can see the splice line. I made a cut normal 90 degrees) to the centerline just forward of the Fresnal landing lens, note the discontinuity in the cat walks. I made a second cut parallel to the center line starting at were the angled deck meets the forward portion of the flight deck. The Kennedy angle deck intersects the forward deck rough at the same place as the port side of the deck angles off as well. This intersection point is further aft on USS America. This is a tricky bit of measuring, sanding and fitting, but I like the end result. Note the number 3 and number 4 troughs that represent the catapults will not line up. I filled the troughs and painted the catapult runs, probably should have added some black to the steel paint, but a decent effect to represent the steel plates over the catapult runs.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:42 pm 

Photo attached

Attachments:
IMG_2021[1].jpg
IMG_2021[1].jpg [ 282.25 KiB | Viewed 6810 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:33 am 

William Smallshaw wrote:
Photo attached

Looks very good.
I have built both the Italeri Kitty Hawk and Constellation many years ago, and since replaced them with the Fujimi kits. So I have essentially 2 spare hulls to play around with. I also have the hulk of a first-issue Vinson that can supply the deck edge part. In the meantime I'll plough on with the islands.

Thanks,
Roy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:26 am 

KidCurrie42 has a thread on this site called Carrier builders yard - What's on the slip? in which he builds all the American supercarriers and the Midway. He details the JFK conversion. I strongly recommend that anyone doing a conversion of any Italeri kit look at this thread. It is impressive!

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:40 pm 

Give it a few weeks, The trumpeter JFK is supposed to be available this month. Sept 2019 Fingers crossed!

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:19 am 

Unfortunately, the Trumpeter 1/700 JFK will probably be waterline only. I don't know about you, but I despise waterline ship model kits.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:10 pm 

Mark McKinnis wrote:
Give it a few weeks, The trumpeter JFK is supposed to be available this month. Sept 2019 Fingers crossed!

Mark

Hi..! HLJ and HOBBY SEARCH habe this in pre-order...Free Time Hobbies...??? How mutch this here...???

Regards.

Alberto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:58 am 

Free Time Hobbies has it listed in it's "Future Release" section. And you can place a preorder for it. But they have no price listed. I would assume the price would be around what the Trumpeter's 1/700 CV-63 & 64 was. Around the $70-$75 price range... And although the release date from Trumpeter is Sept. 2019, usually it's 2 months after that date we see it here in the US. For South America, I would guess the same.

Thomas

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:30 pm 

I'm getting ready to start the 1/350 Merit JFK. I want to build her in a mid '80s fit. I have the old D&S JFK book. I'm replacing the kit weapons with Voyager CWIS and NSSM. Aside from deleting the various antenna domes, are there any major changes from whats in the kit? I already plan to replace the F-18s with A-7s and A-6s, and the Seahawks with Sea Kings. And the book isn't clear, when did JFK have the black mast and lower island?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:24 am 

Thanks Dave.

I'll start a WIP thread. Beginning with the bow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:35 am 

DavidP wrote:

Adding the sonar dome. Merit/Trumpeter used the same hull as the Kitty Hawk kit, with just the bow anchor "horn" added. The port hawsepipe has to be filled in, and there is no dome. Once the green stuff dries, I'll sand it to shape.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:39 pm 

Here is a comparison of the differences between the Kitty Hawk and JFK kit hulls. They just use a different plug for the mold on the front of the bow. As posted before, the JFK hull is even stamped Kitty Hawk inside. You can see a bit of the mold line on the Kitty Hawk bow, right where the bow anchor recess is on JFK.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:43 am 

Does anyone know where to find scale drawings of the Kennedy hangar bay?

Last edited by Timmy C on Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merged into JFK thread

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:27 pm 

Does anyone have or know where I can find a layout or plans of the hangar deck of the USS John F. Kennedy CV-67. I would like to detail the hangar deck for the 1/350 Merit kit. I have been unable to find any good pictures or information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave C.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next