The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:16 am 

Good morning to all ship modelers!!

I would share with you my last project, terminated few days ago, about the model, in 1:200 scale, of the German ironclad SMS SACHSEN of 1878, based on the paper kit published by firm Dom Bumagi.

This is a very good kit, with a lot of details and well designed. I would suggest this kit for all modelers that love the ironclad and battleships of 19th century, especially if looking a bit strange and ugly. The drawings and schematic illustrations can be very useful also for ship modelers that would build such model in "traditional" way and materials.

This is my third model of SMS Sachsen. The first I built was in 1:100 scale, many years ago, totally scratch-built using "traditional" materials (wood, metal, plastic); the second one was based on 1:250 scale waterline paper kit published by German firm HMV and was my very first paper model, some years after the first Sachsen.

So, after many other ship paper models, I have decided to try again the building of another Sachsen in paper, full-hulled.
I have found the Dom Bumagi kit on internet and I bought it immediately.

In the meantime, since early March, when the safety lockdown for the Covid-19 started in Italy, and closed at home for smart-working, I have found enough free time to build and complete this model and also to complete another ship model (always in paper) of the USS Maine that i started last year (I'll open a separate thread for the model of Maine).

For me, one of the most challenging things for this model was to create all the rigging in paper... (in some past models I always used metallic thin wire) and in this Sachsen the only metallic wire I have used (0,1 mm) is the one that brings the hooks at the end of the two poles/cranes connected to the main mast.
All the other rigging that you can see on the pictures are made only by paper, carefully cut very thin (around 0.3 mm thickness), after a deep selection for the type of paper to be use..
I think to have found the right "mix" between thickness, color, strength and smoothness of the paper foil...and so I cut a lot of thin stripes to be used for rigging. Also the anchor' chains are made by the same type of paper..

So, here are some pics of the completed model of the SMS SACHSEN in 1.200 in paper .. hoping you'll like the pics.

Have am happy ship modeling time and ... stay safe !!

Ciao
Jp

Report this post