The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:40 am 

Hi there Marijn and all,

Congrats for the new update and the superb progress you have made !!!! Pure viewing candy, my friend.

marijn van gils wrote:
At 12 pieces of stretched sprue for each window, for 45 windows (=540 pieces!), this was really time-consuming! But I think it will be important for the final look of the model

It IS important, and BTW welcome to the club of the ones who (according to my mother) are going to condemn their souls for wasting so miserably the precious time of their lives :bash_2: .
marijn van gils wrote:
I somehow managed to enjoy the process. :big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

You are very right. I have lost track of how many times I started making chocks, davits or ammo boxes, long, boring and repetitive actions ad nauseam, and finally I ended up loving what I was doing...
marijn van gils wrote:
For the windows and eyebrows, custom PE would undoubtedly have been a much easier option. Next project, I will try to plan ahead more… :big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

Easier, but not half as interesting as doing it yourself, and not one third as pleasant when you see it done --by yourself :cool_1:.
Best regards from this side,

Willie.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:19 am 

Beautiful and inspiring work, as always.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:38 am 

Many thanks Willie and Devin!

Willie wrote:
BTW welcome to the club of the ones who (according to my mother) are going to condemn their souls for wasting so miserably the precious time of their lives :bash_2:

Did she, by any chance, tell you how you should waste your time? Working? Watching TV? ... :big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

Willie wrote:
Easier, but not half as interesting as doing it yourself, and not one third as pleasant when you see it done --by yourself :cool_1:.

I usually do try to keep time-efficiency up by using commercial parts wherever I can (but this project doesn't offer many options in this regard...), but I have to admit you are absolutely right! :big_grin: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:49 am 

Willie wrote:
and BTW welcome to the club of the ones who (according to my mother) are going to condemn their souls for wasting so miserably the precious time of their lives :bash_2: .

Willie.

Well your mother is not the only one with that idea, ask here at home....

Beautiful and stunning work Marijn.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:43 am 

Hi Marijn
I recall watching your Amagi diorama evolve, being utterly amazed at the detail and precision......thinking 'This is as good as it gets'....well, you are raising the standard yet again! Bravo, sir, bravo!!
:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:15 pm 

Great work my friend!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:57 am 

Many thanks guys! :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:58 pm 

marijn van gils wrote:
And finally, I added the entrance steps on each side.

Absolutely stunning, when I first saw the pic I'll admit I thought it was a CGI rendering...

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:50 am 

Surely been thought through by you considering your Amagi detail in painting, but how will you paint the Victory here? Yellow-Black or this pinkish buff / dark grey that they say today how it WAS painted? I assume contemporary paintings could be useful here etc but as I plan to make a 1/700 Victory I wonder on your take. :)

Im also waiting for a new book about this build which Ill buy just like I did with the previous publications with your work. :)

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:13 am 

Hhhmm ... at half the scale of what I am working in and a third the scale of 'dafi's' HMS VICTORY - rather impressive :thumbs_up_1:

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:19 am 

Absolutely amazing. Yes, after the two awesome carriers, this is taking things another step further.

Duly awed

Frank

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:40 am 

Many thanks guys! :)

pascalemod wrote:
Surely been thought through by you considering your Amagi detail in painting, but how will you paint the Victory here? Yellow-Black or this pinkish buff / dark grey that they say today how it WAS painted? I assume contemporary paintings could be useful here etc but as I plan to make a 1/700 Victory I wonder on your take. :)

As a professional archaeologist, I do tend to follow my colleagues' analyses, at least unless I can come up with something better myself. :big_grin:
What I have seen from the actual study on the ship, the science looks solid and the outcome quite clear. So I will favour the pinkish buff over the bright yellow.
But I do like Dafi's interpretation too. Even though the researchers seem to have taken plenty of samples, it is indeed far from impossible that patches of multiple colours were present. Taking into account that hundreds of paint samples were analyzed, I would think that buff would be the dominant colour however.
Anyway, I don't think I can pull of a convincing patch-work like Dafi's in 1/300, but I'll certainly introduce some variation in the colour, if only to get more 'life' into it.

I would love to see a 1/700 Vic by you BTW! :thumbs_up_1:

pascalemod wrote:
Im also waiting for a new book about this build which Ill buy just like I did with the previous publications with your work. :)

Many thanks Pascalemod! :) :) :)
Unfortunately, that will still take some time...
But if you're impatient to read something written by me: I just published a big new book! (see general forum) :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:52 am 

marijn van gils wrote:
Many thanks guys! :)

pascalemod wrote:

As a professional archaeologist, I do tend to follow my colleagues' analyses, at least unless I can come up with something better myself.
What I have seen from the actual study on the ship, the science looks solid and the outcome quite clear. So I will favour the pinkish buff over the bright yellow.
But I do like Dafi's interpretation too. Even though the researchers seem to have taken plenty of samples, it is indeed far from impossible that patches of multiple colours were present. Taking into account that hundreds of paint samples were analyzed, I would think that buff would be the dominant colour however.
Anyway, I don't think I can pull of a convincing patch-work like Dafi's in 1/300, but I'll certainly introduce some variation in the colour, if only to get more 'life' into it.

I would love to see a 1/700 Vic by you BTW! :thumbs_up_1:

pascalemod wrote:

Many thanks Pascalemod!
Unfortunately, that will still take some time...
But if you're impatient to read something written by me: I just published a big new book! (see general forum) :big_grin:

:nod_2: very cool! Thanks for the clarification. Ill also aim for buff-dark grey, probably in 1/700 it will be quite impressive next to Hood or smth.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:19 am 

Have a look here for the color discussion :-)

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=99050&p=908986#p908919

XXXDAn

See also our german forum for the age of Sail and History:
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:26 am 

Hilarious that few days ago’ , while browsing this thread Again , I was thinking ..”Marijin should start his own publishing company “ .
Something like Micheal Rinaldi and his tank art series and SM ( single model one ) .

Just a thought ..no pressure :) I know it than became a job and not a relaxing hobby

Daniele

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:42 am 

marijn van gils wrote:

Impressive work! But - a word of warning here, you may already know this, but: The quarter-galleries on either side of the stern were simple appendages to the hull proper. You have removed the hull sides from inside the galleries, giving a very picturesque see-through effect, but you will need to reinstall the hull sides inside the galleries.

It was quite common for many (most!) of the windows in the quarter galleries to be dummies, this also goes for the outermost window or two windows in each level on the stern itself. The quarter gallery was a toilet and one wouldn't want to be too exposed when doing business there :) Victory does have real windows in all the relevant places (at least as she is today) but this was not typical. Redoutable would in all probability be more closed up, only having the center window or part of the center window on each level of the quarter gallery actually glazed.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:25 am 

Bouncy70 wrote:
Impressive work! But - a word of warning here, you may already know this, but: The quarter-galleries on either side of the stern were simple appendages to the hull proper. You have removed the hull sides from inside the galleries, giving a very picturesque see-through effect, but you will need to reinstall the hull sides inside the galleries.

I had the exact same thought. But have been in the "wait and see" mode. :big_grin: But, since the "cat is out of the bag... :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:34 am 

Re. the paint scheme: there has been a very interesting article on the topic in Mariner's Mirror recently:

VALE, B. (2020): Pitch, Paint, Varnish and the Changing Colour Schemes of Royal Navy Warship, 1775-1815: A Summary of Existing Knowlege.- The Mariner’s Mirror, 106(1): 30-42.

It was brought to my attention when I was researching the paint that was used to restore HMS GANNET in Chatham. The upshot is that the pinkish buff that was found on HMS VICTORY seems to have been the result of economy on the side of the Admiralty. They were slowly phasing out the red for interior painting, but not sufficient ochre was supplied to the ships to renew the paint every six months as expected. Therefore, the ochre was stretched with red surplus pigment that was still available in the ships' dotation.

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:14 am 

dafi wrote:
Have a look here for the color discussion :-)

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=99050&p=908986#p908919

XXXDAn

Thanks Dan! I'm following with great interest! :thumbs_up_1:

Daniele wrote:
Hilarious that few days ago’ , while browsing this thread Again , I was thinking ..”Marijin should start his own publishing company “ .
Something like Micheal Rinaldi and his tank art series and SM ( single model one ) .

Just a thought ..no pressure :) I know it than became a job and not a relaxing hobby

Daniele

Thanks Daniele, I'll take that as a compliment! I'm a big fan of Michael's work and publications, and I feel lucky to be able to call him a friend.
But for myself, I prefer to focus on the fun stuff indeed: actual modelling, and then writing a little about it. I'll leave the busyness side of things to people who actually know something about that! :big_grin:

Bouncy70 wrote:

Many thanks! This is exactly the kind of feedback I need! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
In this case, I luckily did think about it early on. But it is of course not visible on the pics of the 'empty' hull, and you would have to dig back in this thread a lot to see my solution.
The decks are removable for painting, and for ease of access I glued the hull sections behind the quarter galleries to the decks instead of to the hull:

Glazing the windows will normally reduce visibility inside, but I agree completely that something should be inside...

Bouncy70 wrote:
It was quite common for many (most!) of the windows in the quarter galleries to be dummies, this also goes for the outermost window or two windows in each level on the stern itself. The quarter gallery was a toilet and one wouldn't want to be too exposed when doing business there :) Victory does have real windows in all the relevant places (at least as she is today) but this was not typical. Redoutable would in all probability be more closed up, only having the center window or part of the center window on each level of the quarter gallery actually glazed.

Yes, that is very true! For Victory, I left them all as 'real' windows like she is today, by lack of better information. Maybe she had curtains? :big_grin:
But for Redoutable, I followed Boudriot's 'the 74 gun ship' to the letter on the location of mock windows:

On the upper gundeck level of the quarter galleries, even only the upper half of the central window was real, the rest was mock!
And the stern windows n°2 and 9 actaully but against the hull side walls, so they even couldn't work as a window at all.

But I am still looking for information about what these mock windows actually looked like. What colour were they painted? Black? Where they glazed? etc...
Boudriot doesn't write about this, his drawings don't really show it, and the 'traditional' wooden models don't give reliable info either...
Maybe you know?

wefalck wrote:
Re. the paint scheme: there has been a very interesting article on the topic in Mariner's Mirror recently:

VALE, B. (2020): Pitch, Paint, Varnish and the Changing Colour Schemes of Royal Navy Warship, 1775-1815: A Summary of Existing Knowlege.- The Mariner’s Mirror, 106(1): 30-42.

It was brought to my attention when I was researching the paint that was used to restore HMS GANNET in Chatham. The upshot is that the pinkish buff that was found on HMS VICTORY seems to have been the result of economy on the side of the Admiralty. They were slowly phasing out the red for interior painting, but not sufficient ochre was supplied to the ships to renew the paint every six months as expected. Therefore, the ochre was stretched with red surplus pigment that was still available in the ships' dotation.

Many thanks Wefalck! It is very useful indeed to get insights in the 'why' behind things like this... :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:07 am 

marijn van gils wrote:

Bouncy70 wrote:

Many thanks! This is exactly the kind of feedback I need! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
In this case, I luckily did think about it early on. But it is of course not visible on the pics of the 'empty' hull, and you would have to dig back in this thread a lot to see my solution.
The decks are removable for painting, and for ease of access I glued the hull sections behind the quarter galleries to the decks instead of to the hull:

Glazing the windows will normally reduce visibility inside, but I agree completely that something should be inside...

Completey forgot about that. :doh_1: But afterall it was in 2018. :heh:

marijn van gils wrote:
Yes, that is very true! For Victory, I left them all as 'real' windows like she is today, by lack of better information. Maybe she had curtains? :big_grin:
But for Redoutable, I followed Boudriot's 'the 74 gun ship' to the letter on the location of mock windows:

On the upper gundeck level of the quarter galleries, even only the upper half of the central window was real, the rest was mock!
And the stern windows n°2 and 9 actaully but against the hull side walls, so they even couldn't work as a window at all.

But I am still looking for information about what these mock windows actually looked like. What colour were they painted? Black? Where they glazed? etc...
Boudriot doesn't write about this, his drawings don't really show it, and the 'traditional' wooden models don't give reliable info either...
Maybe you know?

My guess would be black.

This contemporary model makes me think so.

https://mnm.webmuseo.com/ws/musee-national-marine/app/collection/record/9025

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 61  Next