The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:18 am 

Hello and good morning to all ship modelers worldwide !! (or good evening, or good night, depending in which part of the earth you live...)

In last period (passing a lot of time at home in smart-working for COVID-19) I've found a bit of spare time to completed a model of USS MAINE (ACR-1) of 1889 from an Heinkel Models kit (all my compliments to this firm.. I love a lot all the paper models actually produced and hoping to see soon some other new subjects) that was gifted me from a friend a couple of years ago (less or more) and that I have built mainly during year 2019.

There is very few things to say about this famous ship, which explosion in Havana harbor brought to the start of Spanish-American war.
This ship has been very well described in many and many books and, just to give some info about her, for people that still don't know her history, here a Wikipedia link : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Maine_(1889)

The kit, in 1:200 scale, has absolutely an high-level quality, very well designed, with a lot of particulars and clear instructions, with the possibility to build the model both in waterline or full-hulled version (the one that i prefer).

In this model, the rigging is made partially by paper and partially by metallic wire.
I have started the rigging in paper (for example the standing "net" rigging is made in such way), but in last period I have completely terminated the type of paper that I have used for rigging of my last model built during this COVID-19 period (SMS Sachsen and I was not yet able to find again the same type of paper (as weight, rigidity and strength) ad so I decided to complete the model using the metallic wire (0,2 - 0,3 mm thickness) that I had available at home.

The stand of the model is also made completely by paper and the model has been completed with a transparent plastic case (with the base made by thick cardboard foils)

Here following are some pics of the model, took some days ago (sorry for the cats that in some pics are visible in background, bu they like a lot to be in my home garden during the day...).

Hoping you'll like

Have a nice day and happy ship modeling !

Ciao
JP

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:12 pm 

Very nice! I am always amazed at the wonderful things paper can be made into!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:49 am 

its so good... you wouldn't even guess its made in paper ... very well done :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:25 pm 

WOW was the 1st thing from my mouth when i opened this thread! Beautiful workmanship. A true artist you are. Everything looks so sharp.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:38 pm 

She's a beauty,JP. :thumbs_up_1:

Scott

Report this post