The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:06 pm 

This is the 1/800 scale kit from ARII, which actual scales out to 1/730 scale. I am trying to depict the Midway during Operation Frequent Wind, the evacuation of Saigon in April 1975. The build will be a gift for a fellow parishioner who was on board during the event as a Motor Machinists Mate, 2nd Class. Photoetch is from Gold Medal Models 1/720 USN Supercarrier set with an additional ECM platform provided by our friend Miroslav in NY. Five Star Fuel Reels were also used. Decals are from Starfighter and the kit for the 41 on the bow. Holding off installing the SPS-43 Radar until finished installing the aircraft and the antennae around the flight deck. Starting the aircraft for the deck now. There are F-4s, A-7s, and A-6s in the hanger deck (Midway off loaded half of her aircraft and personnel before proceeding to South Vietnam for the evacuation). Deck aircraft will be helicopters from the evacuation: 24 1/700 scale UH-1s from L'Arsenal (some will be painted as Air America birds, the others VNAF), 3 White Ensign CH-46s which will be modified to resemble VNAF CH-47s, 9 CH-53Es from White Ensign which will be modified to resemble USAF HH-53s and CH-53s. This is my first dive into 1/700ish scale building and will probably be my last! You builders of this small of scale amaze me with your talents, but working with photoetch in this small of a scale has really burned me out.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:10 pm 

'dhenning', "Iyyyeeeeee...Like IT!!!" (Robocop voice) :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

I did an Arii MIDWAY representing 1991 Desert Storm fit, mostly F/A-18, and A-6E.... http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm

I also did a CORAL SEA but never listed it in the Gallery.

I like Your Midway, the rigging, the boat back in the rear, the sight of seeing All Those HELOS, I mean I remember seeing photos of helos on-deck during that Confusing, Desperate Day.....I also know an Airtrac Controller during that time onboard same ship....I wonder........

But back to your ship, I can't wait to see a FD with those helos, I would like to do RANGER during the invasion of Haiti with those Army helos!! But I'll see how yours look. :woo_hoo:

I also did a YouTube video, if you care to take a look at.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_mkcTH7uus

You can also see the rest of my small, hopefully growing fleet.

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:46 pm 

Thanks Mario! I did view your build photos and watched your video as well in prepping for my build. Great work on your part on the island revisions to the kit! I used Ray Bean's DVD as well. Best reference that I could have had with the photos from the 70s, 80s, and 90s that allowed me to figure out how the ship changed and what details on photos from the museum ships we or were not there in the mid 70s. Thanks again for the comments and will try to post some better pics and pics of the helicopters as I make some progress on them.

Dave

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:48 pm 

Roger that.....and thanks for viewing video on YT. I'm glad that I was able to help a bit.....but you are right Ray D. Bean's DVD on Many naval topics goes FaR BeYond any of us could hope for!!!

I look forward to your MIDWAY....I'll be watchin'! :whistle: :wave_1:

M

P.S. I hope Dave that Hurricane Laura didn't hurt you or others around you.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:04 am 

Thanks Mario. No damage for myself or family members, but a lot of rain and crazy winds. Just heard on the radio that the National Weather Service confirmed that 8 tornadoes were spawned by the tropical storm in eastern side of the state on Thursday. No loss of life in Arkansas, but praying for the folks in Louisiana, particularly St. Charles.

Dave

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:44 am 

Rather than modifying CH-46s you can find 1/700 CH-47s here on Shapeways:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z7ZJL ... arketplace

I too am building that Midway model, in her 1983 fit sailing with USS New Jersey and USS Mispillion (if I can ever find a T-3 tanker kit). Looking forward to your final result. :thumbs_up_1:
I definitely agree about Ray Bean's DVD being an excellent resource and recommend his products for all modelers.

You can also find a scan of Midway's cruise book for your era here:
https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv41-76/index.html
It has a page dedicated to Operation Frequent Winds with photos. I don't know if those are all on the Mr. Bean's DVD.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:13 pm 

Joe,
Thanks for the link to the cruise book images. Some of the same pics are on the CV41.org website from a special edition of the ships's newspaper-but the images on the site that you provided are much better quality.

I did find the Shapeways CH-47 when I was looking for the helicopters. I decided to go with the L'Arsenal CH-46s since they also provided photoetch brass blades in both folded and full deployed versions. I worked up one last night-will try to post photos later. The CH-46 from L'Arsenal scales out 3 mm shorter than a CH-47 in 1/700 scale. The L'Arsenal set came with 4 CH-46s and I only need three, so I could cut a plug out of the spare and extend the three to the proper length-but I think that might be too OCD. The addition of the side sponsons, engine pods, and four landing gear as opposed to the tripod CH-46 gear make it look like a CH-47.

I am still considering ordering the deck vehicle set from Shapeways for this, but their shipping charges stop me every time. Maybe later when I decide what I need for my next build. Here is the link to the set. Might work for your build also:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/D9GHULFSP/1-720-mid-70s-mid-80s-us-carrier-deck-vehicles?optionId=154589212

Joe and Mario-did either of you include or plan on including figures on deck? Is so, which ones did you use?

Thanks,
Dave

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:02 pm 

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the pointer to the deck vehicles. For Shapeways, I put together an order of multiple subjects to cut down on the shipping costs.

I haven't decided whether to put figures. If depends on what shows in the photos of the group that matches the diorama at typical viewing distance, then I'll add figures to match the photos.

Joe

Report this post