The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155 ... 159  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:25 am 
Hello bucketfoot-al,
You know I was referring to you. You, Chuck and few other guys here were banging the heads to the wall for years, trying to get people see the obvious. Many of the things pointed out on this very topic ended up eventually being considered in the latest commercial kits, all advertised as "latest research" of course.
As for me, these guys deleted my account some time ago for no reason, so I can no longer claim any past contribution. Oh well...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:42 am 

sandman-therealone wrote:
Hello bucketfoot-al,
You know I was referring to you. You, Chuck and few other guys here were banging the heads to the wall for years, trying to get people see the obvious. Many of the things pointed out on this very topic ended up eventually being considered in the latest commercial kits, all advertised as "latest research" of course.
As for me, these guys deleted my account some time ago for no reason, so I can no longer claim any past contribution. Oh well...

Yeah - every time I look at my Nichimo Yamato each Summer I have thoughts about removing the crane tower ... and then I look at all that photoetch and wires all over the place ... and I get cold feet. We'll see what happens ... now that I've thought about it I am 99% sure that I didn't find out about the tower having been removed til after I was done ... also missed adding an extra pair of AA fire control directors that had been added for Ten-ichigo ... it was such a bloody complicated build ... :mad_1:

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:31 pm 

Well... could you say it's a little earlier in 1945, and not specifically during Ten-ichigo? Could possibly justify the crane tower (and bare wood decking, fir that matter) that way.
- Sean F.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:06 pm 

If this "sandman" is your account, then, well, it's still here: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26181

Since there hasn't been anything posted from it since 2009, we'd suggest you doublecheck your password and email.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:18 pm 

SeanF wrote:
Well... could you say it's a little earlier in 1945, and not specifically during Ten-ichigo? Could possibly justify the crane tower (and bare wood decking, fir that matter) that way.
- Sean F.

I'll buy that!!! :woo_hoo: :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:33 pm 
Timmy C wrote:

If this "sandman" is your account, then, well, it's still here: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26181

Since there hasn't been anything posted from it since 2009, we'd suggest you doublecheck your password and email.

If what you say is true, that is, you guys did not delete my account / you did not delete all my posts from the last 10 years or so, and my last message is indeed from 2009, perhaps you might want to explain how come bucketfoot-al answered me in December 1st, 2018 (see page 148 of this topic)?
I could search for other "recent" replies to my messages in my fellows posts but that would be pointless. We already had this conversation last year and although you guys admitted that my account wad probably deleted in error and there was a promise that the account will be restored, well, for the record, I can't login to my "sandman" account using the credentials I used for years. If you indeed restored the account, you probably did not restore the credentials associated with it and that makes it useless. But then again, I don't have a problem to post as a guest when I have something to say so why bother.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

..... We already had this conversation last year and although you guys admitted that my account wad probably deleted in error and there was a promise that the account will be restored, well, for the record, I can't login to my "sandman" account using the credentials I used for years. If you indeed restored the account, you probably did not restore the credentials associated with it and that makes it useless. But then again, I don't have a problem to post as a guest when I have something to say so why bother.

I restored what was left of your account some time ago. There was no promise involved, I just restored what I was able to find in the database. It is missing an email address so that is why you can't log on with any credentials. IIRC you were to send me your email address, I don't believe I ever got it, but I may have missed it. Send it and I'll update your account. Frankly I don't know what happened to your account. If I were to guess I would say it had something to do with a database crash that occurred sometime ago.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 5:08 am 
It's true that English is not my first langue so I might have a deformed interpretation of what the promise word means, although the primary dictionary definition for this word is pretty clear: a declaration that a particular thing will happen.

promise, noun
1. a declaration or assurance that one will do something or that a particular thing will happen.

Regarding sending you a pm with my email address, this would be like in the story of the chicken and the egg...to be able to send you a pm I would have to be logged in while I can not log in until I send you my email address so you can update my credentials. You did not ask me to send you my email address before though. Last year you only said you would keep an eye on my account for a while and also instructed the topic's moderators to delete the message exchange pertaining to this case after a week or so.
This being said, let's let it as it is guys. As said already, I did not make a purpose in life to have an account on this forum.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:31 pm 

Can anyone tell me how the 1/700 Aoshima Yamato compares to the other 1/700 Yamato kits out there? I've heard that Pit Road is the best, so I'm mostly interested how it compares to the newer Tamiya kit (which I have) and the Fujimi kit (I have their Musashi). So if anyone has compared the different kits, please let me know.

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:52 pm 

Mike W wrote:
Can anyone tell me how the 1/700 Aoshima Yamato compares to the other 1/700 Yamato kits out there? I've heard that Pit Road is the best, so I'm mostly interested how it compares to the newer Tamiya kit (which I have) and the Fujimi kit (I have their Musashi). So if anyone has compared the different kits, please let me know.

thanks
Mike

Hi Mike.

Here's an interesting video that shows someone building the 1/700 Yamato from (3) different manufacturers. The video moves quickly but you should be able to discern differences between the various kits. HTH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09I4EoIt884

ETA:

Part 2 showing completed models:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXwQle-_bWI

Post subject: IJN YAMATO RIGGING
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:21 pm 

I am using Katana's 2017 rigging posts to help with a 1/250 motorised but static display model.
Does anyone know how thick the main rigging cables of the Yamato were?
(specifically the 4 main cables from the jack pole to the bridge, and the near-vertical cables near the centre).

Post subject: 1/200 fujimi kit
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:22 pm 
i’ve been watching build videos on youtube of the fujimi 1/200 yamato bridge and central superstructure.
are these meant to replace the same parts on the nichimo kit or is fujimi going to release every part of the ship until modelers can build a complete kit?

Post subject: Re: IJN YAMATO RIGGING
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:18 am 
BrianBrachiopod wrote:
I am using Katana's 2017 rigging posts to help with a 1/250 motorised but static display model.
Does anyone know how thick the main rigging cables of the Yamato were?
(specifically the 4 main cables from the jack pole to the bridge, and the near-vertical cables near the centre).

From material resistance stand point, the long rigging cables (stretching from bow/stern jack poles to the bridge/mast) must have been below (yet around) 1cm. At 1/250 scale they would be well under 0.1mm. What I did in my 1/250 build (I used the Arii kit as a base for my build) I used 0.1mm fishing line.

As for the auxiliary rigging, this would be a totally different story. At 1/250 scale they would be in range 10 microns. Well, as gross as it might sound for some, for those I used human hair. It happens that my wife has a beautiful, thin, long & straight hair so every time I need to do small scale rigging, I ask her to save few strains of hair for me when she brushes off. Although they are (obviously) well above the 10microns, visually they look way thinner than the 100microns fishing line, that serves the purpose of using them in the first place.

From engineering stand point, human hair has fantastic mechanical properties. It is slightly elastic, and considering its thickness, even a tiny amount of tensile stress would lead to a very sharp, very straight looking rigging. Moreover, as opposed to most of the synthetic lines it does not lose its elastic properties (neither decay) over very long periods of time. I have decade old builds, where the rigging is as tense and straight as the day one...oh, not to mention that it makes a perfect and instant bond with the cyanoacrylate based glue.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:37 am 

gscott wrote:

Hi Mike.

Here's an interesting video that shows someone building the 1/700 Yamato from (3) different manufacturers. The video moves quickly but you should be able to discern differences between the various kits. HTH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09I4EoIt884

ETA:

Part 2 showing completed models:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXwQle-_bWI

I've been studying this videos and have also the Pit-road kit. In the past I used to own the Yamato and old Fujimi 1/700 models of the Yamato. In my opinion Pit-road is the best however I was also fascinated by the new version of Fujimi NEXT with proper photoetched parts. With Pit-road in my opinion you put yourself in something very attractive but also very hard to put togather (and quite expensive). Probably the most balanced decision is Fujmi kit with proper PE set developed by Fujimi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:45 pm 
i have a question about the pontos 1/350 1944 detail set for the tamiya musashi 1/350. it looks to me like you are supposed to convert the tamiya 1/350 yamato premium edition into the musashi. is there anyone if that’s the kit this photo etch is for or is it for the older tamiya 1/350 musashi kits

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:00 pm 

Yes, set 37025FN/37025FB is for converting the new-tool Yamato: http://pontosmodel.com/html/37025fn.html
Quote:
Recommended kits: 1/350 Tamiya Yamato (78025, New Tool)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:02 pm 

Musashi Video!

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNuJhmc20Zg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:07 am 

Thank you! Great video on Musashi!! :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:00 am 
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of scratch building the IJN Kashino in 1/350.

I plan on building the new tool Yamato from Tamiya in the future and as the kit offers the whole turret, I am thinking of a diorama where one turret is on the Kashino.

For this, I would ask someone who owns the Yamato kit to please measure the kit's turret for me.
Mainly how far it reaches below the deck and the diameter of the top and bottom ring.

Here are two links to 1/700 models of the Kashino, the first one shows how the diorama would look like.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/image/10059310

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/image/10343288

Thanks in advance,

Clemens

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:48 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
baseballbrat wrote:

I watched it the other night and found it most enjoyable. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Jose :wave_1:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155 ... 159  Next