The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 893 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:05 pm 

yes. http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/020831c.jpg
http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/08.htm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:23 pm 

Thanks. I've got different views of them, just trying to confirm that's what they are. I think that's what they are, but I wanted to be sure.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:31 pm 

no problem.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:27 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Are the circled items floater nets?
Attachment:
HornetIsland02a.jpg

Martin -
Those are refueling hose segments. They don't show up anywhere else on the ship that I've seen. Just that one location, and near the two small platforms used for refueling just forward of the where the boat crane mechanism was housed (and removed after commissioning). Don't see the hoses on YKTN or ENT, though that's not definitive of anything.
See Doyle's USS HORNET (CV-8) book, page 55 or Wiper's YORKTOWN Class carriers Page 53 for better copies of that photo.

Last edited by John W. on Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:45 pm 

kinda high aren't they? would have thought they be at hanger deck level not flight deck level.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:37 pm 

David -
Yes, they are located pretty high at first glance. But in the photo you posted one can see the black fueling hose that loops along the side of the ship, hanging from strongbacks, hooks or eyes, that attach to the underside of the flight deck. The forwardmost end of this hose (or one of the hoses if there are two) comes up and over the platform just below the objects under discussion here. The two platforms visible aft of that point are, I believe, the platforms from which the RAS is conducted, not on the main deck. I recall reading that somewhere. In the following picture, a framework with three vertical posts (but without any horizontal walkway) is attached to the underside of the flight deck and visible right under where the objects being discussed are mounted in your picture, so handling the objects which I believe to be hose segments would be fairly simple.
Attachment:
1941_10_13_eCV-8.jpg
1941_10_13_eCV-8.jpg [ 144.26 KiB | Viewed 1093 times ]

I have gone back over the MD Silver plans and there are several plans that show these platforms, but their function is never named. Each platform has a vertical ladder from it to the main deck attached to the bulkhead from which the platform is cantilevered.
And to be honest, I cannot explain why the object(s) are not black, or why they seem to have stripes every foot or so. Those could be markings, or joints, or separations consistent with floater nets. If they are the latter, why are they only located there? Did the USN have them that early in the war? And why are they not in the traditional mesh baskets? One other explanation is that they are connected together and used as an oil spill containment boom. And located close to the refueling station where the accidental release of oil in-port is most likely. I don't think the USN was all that worried about those issues in those days, but I offer that for grins.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:16 pm 

I still think they are floater nets because of the stripes, the lengths & location in relation to the life rafts further along the hull.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:00 am 

I really don't think those are fueling at sea hoses -- attaching a blown up view from that same photo linked above. You can clearly see the rubber sections of the floater net in the larger view:

For what it's worth, I've noticed floater nets stored this way on many ships early in the war (I suspect before the "neat and seamanlike" baskets became more widespread) -- cruiser and battleship installations come to mind, with floater nets simply piled on turret roofs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:31 am 

Ian -
Thanks for posting the high res blow up. Seems to pretty well settle it - floater nets. You can see bits of the netting too. I'm still a bit surprised, but the photo makes it pretty clear. I should note there is one of the Santa Cruz photos of the attempted salvage taken just off the starboard bow looking aft (pretty sharp photo in Doyle's book) that shows something there in the same location. It seems to be thicker - almost like the usual floater net baskets had been installed.
John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:29 pm 

Interesting. They look like they are just tied to the rails. Now, what to make them out of.... :scratch:

Thanks fellas!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:36 pm 

John W. wrote:
Ian -
Thanks for posting the high res blow up. Seems to pretty well settle it - floater nets. You can see bits of the netting too. I'm still a bit surprised, but the photo makes it pretty clear. I should note there is one of the Santa Cruz photos of the attempted salvage taken just off the starboard bow looking aft (pretty sharp photo in Doyle's book) that shows something there in the same location. It seems to be thicker - almost like the usual floater net baskets had been installed.
John

Project in progress:

• USS Pamanset (AO-85) : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=305869
• USS Hornet (CV-8) : viewtopic.php?f=59&t=306241

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:27 pm 

that is port side.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:59 pm 

Good view!

Probably the same net as those stored on the starboard side above the gangway.

Project in progress:

• USS Pamanset (AO-85) : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=305869
• USS Hornet (CV-8) : viewtopic.php?f=59&t=306241

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:40 pm 

A few more CV-8 related questions, on this anniversary of her demise....
Attachment:
HornetIsland03_LI.jpg
HornetIsland03_LI.jpg [ 906.73 KiB | Viewed 578 times ]

1 - What's this? A pelorus?
2 - Any better shots of this area where the siren is? I have tons of photos from NARA, I've perused all the usual sites, but this is the best I can find
3 - what's this skinny pole on top of the main mast?

Here's a crop of the siren area
Attachment:
HornetIsland03 (2).jpg
HornetIsland03 (2).jpg [ 52.62 KiB | Viewed 578 times ]

Trying to dress up the island with a bit more detail.
Attachment:
350HornetIsland.jpg
350HornetIsland.jpg [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 578 times ]

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:16 pm 

The searchlights look like they are painted a darker color than the the rest of the island. What's the consensus - black?

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:19 pm 

Martin -
Fine looking work there. Very impressive.

I might be able to shed some light on your questions, but I don't have a good HD version of the picture to which you refer. Having said that, do you have a copy of Davis Doyle's recent book on HORNET? If so, check out page 50. The photo shows the general area to which you are pointing with arrow #1. The photo is looking aft, taken from forward of that area (just aft of the Mk 37 director). There is what looks like a DF loop in the area where your arrow points. In some photos, the loop is apparently turned perpendicular to ship centerline and is not clearly seen as a loop. It does show up as a loop in the MD Silver plans (p.43). Also in the page 50 photo, just inside the splinter shield / windbreak on the port side is an odd looking device shaped kinda like a carronade. It does not show on the MD Silver plans. But forward of the spot where the picture was taken and inside the shield around the Mk. 37 there is a notation there calling out a "target designator" (p. 28). The plans show one to port, one to starboard. Not sure which of the devices your arrow could be highlighting, though, but here's a veritable "52 Pickup" of choices for you! OBTW, on pages 53, 55, and 56 in Doyle there are photos that show the searchlights mounted to the stack - port and starboard - that do appear darker than surrounding painted areas. I can see no obvious reason for the color differences other than different paint color.

Arrow #2 - The plans do not show the ship's horn / whistle in that location so I have nothing that tells me anymore than what you show. MD Silver plans (p. 92) show a decent view of the "Loud Speaker Foundation" close to the middle uptake as shown in the picture. But no similar foundation for the horn anywhere on the top of the stack. It might have been moved up there in the post-commissioning yard period in Jan / Feb '42 to get better sound coverage. Doyle's book on CV-5 (P. 40) shows YORKTOWN's horn located on the stack's centerline at the forward edge, and at about the same height as CV-8's. The foundation is more elaborate.

Arrow #3 - MD Silver plans (p. 81) indicate the top section of the Mainmast is a (wait for it . . .) "Flag Staff". At the very top is a flat device call a "Trident" (???) with halyards attached. The flagstaff appears to slide down along the starboard side of the mast for bridge clearance. Page 80 shows how the Foremast hinges aft also to clear bridges.

HTH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:03 pm 

Thanks John - appreciate your comments and the info. I'd love to get a better look at the structure that DF loop sits on - it doesn't seem to sit on the deck, surrounded by a cage, as on CV-5 and CV-6, but appears to be raised.

One last question - do the MS plans indicate what the antenna in front of the forward Mk37 director is? There's a small pole and antenna there, and I can't figure out what it is.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:16 pm 

Martin -
SPECINT alert. The following based on speculative intelligence.

The DF loop is pretty large, therefore I suspect it is used for ship's navigation - deriving a line of bearing to a shore transmitter most likely, - as opposed to the small loops located at and under the aft flight deck rounddown. The construction plans for HORNET show three bar railings in a number of places on the upper island structure which were later replaced by splinter shields during the yard period before she sailed for the Pac. I am guessing the loop was raised up on a small, probably circular structure so the loop could have a clear sight line above the steel splinter shield / windbreak.

The small antenna forward of the Mk 37 and atop the pilot house roof is actually a hamburger cooker - one of those rectangular mesh devices where you put the burger between the two sides and close it the device so it doesn't drop the burger on the charcoal.
No, probably not buying that I'll bet. Oh well, in that case turn to Doyle's CV-8 book, pages 54, 55, 58, 59, and 60 and you'll see the antenna. Looks like a small rectangular radar antenna similar to a BI (see Doyle CV-8 book p. 49). Similar but not the same. The photos on p. 54, 55, 59 show the antenna apparently horizontal, the two shots on p. 58 and 60 show it apparently vertical. The shot on p. 60 is particularly cool as it shows most of the antenna grid visible against a light backdrop. Perhaps it is a small backup surface search radar for entry to a foggy port.

End SPECINT.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:44 pm 

John W. wrote:
The small antenna forward of the Mk 37 and atop the pilot house roof is actually a hamburger cooker - one of those rectangular mesh devices where you put the burger between the two sides and close it the device so it doesn't drop the burger on the charcoal.

LOL. Thanks John. I'll go back through the Doyle book and look at the pages mentioned.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:37 pm 

I note the antenna shows up in your picture posted above, now that I know what I'm looking for - looks like a "T" forward of the Mk.37 peeking just above the splinter shield / windbreak above the pilothouse windows.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 893 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next