The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:11 am 

Difficult to tell, but in the last pic I posted, the more I look at it the more I think the overheads are metal and the bulkheads are white.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:22 pm 

HORNET WRECK PHOTOS

I now have all Hornet wreck photos taken by the Petrel. So does Martin Quinn.

As with Juneau for anyone willing to accept facts and photos there was no repainting of the hull. The island paint is pretty deteriorated or coated in crud.

If you want the photos email me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:13 pm 

A few stills, all courtesy of RV Petrel:
Attachment:
File comment: 1.1 inch gun under forward end of flight deck
Petrel_HornetWreck_Bow1point1.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_Bow1point1.jpg [ 26.3 KiB | Viewed 6127 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Forward bow and hull number. Note the "scalloped" camo coming DOWN from the deck. Most modelers miss this on their Hornet models.
Petrel_HornetWreck_PortBowandHullNumber.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_PortBowandHullNumber.jpg [ 25.23 KiB | Viewed 6127 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Portside forward 5 inch gun tubs. Note the stripe camo on the sides of the gun tubs
Petrel_HornetWreck_Port5inchguntub_00.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_Port5inchguntub_00.jpg [ 34.65 KiB | Viewed 6127 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Portside forward 5 inch gun tubs. Note the stripe camo on the sides of the gun tubs
Petrel_HornetWreck_Port5inchguntub_02.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_Port5inchguntub_02.jpg [ 32.8 KiB | Viewed 6127 times ]

Attachment:
Petrel_HornetWreck_Port5inchguntub_03.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_Port5inchguntub_03.jpg [ 27.74 KiB | Viewed 6127 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Note how the camo is on the aft side of the gun tub as well. This is mirrored on the starboard side
Petrel_HornetWreck_Port5inchguntub_04.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_Port5inchguntub_04.jpg [ 41.84 KiB | Viewed 6127 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Same as above
Petrel_HornetWreck_Port5inchguntub_05.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_Port5inchguntub_05.jpg [ 31.89 KiB | Viewed 6127 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:16 pm 

More...
Attachment:
File comment: 20mm guns on the port side hangar deck, somewhere before the break in the hull
Petrel_HornetWreck_HangarDeck20mm.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_HangarDeck20mm.jpg [ 52.03 KiB | Viewed 6126 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: 20mm guns on the port side hangar deck, somewhere before the break in the hull
Petrel_HornetWreck_HangarDeck20mms.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_HangarDeck20mms.jpg [ 45.36 KiB | Viewed 6126 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: 20mm gun tub on the aft port quarter of the flight deck
Petrel_HornetWreck_Aft20mmTub.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_Aft20mmTub.jpg [ 36.42 KiB | Viewed 6126 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Looks like primer on the bulkhead behind the 20mm
Petrel_HornetWreck_Aft20mmTub_Primer.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_Aft20mmTub_Primer.jpg [ 39.72 KiB | Viewed 6126 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Bomb hole in a deck. I think this is inside the hangar deck
Petrel_HornetWreck_Bombhole.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_Bombhole.jpg [ 22.41 KiB | Viewed 6126 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:02 pm 

Incredible pictures! Thanks for posting them, Martin. Hornet looks to be in great condition... :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:48 pm 

Yes, considering the pounding she took, parts of her are in great shape. And all the thanks goes to Fred, for pestering Petrel for access to these! All photos courtesy of RV Petrel.

I had downloaded a few more, which I neglected to post. Here is the first batch.
Attachment:
Petrel_HornetWreck_Aft5inchGunTub.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_Aft5inchGunTub.jpg [ 44.08 KiB | Viewed 5820 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Note the camo on the corner of the gun tub platform
Petrel_HornetWreck_Aft5inchGunTub01.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_Aft5inchGunTub01.jpg [ 22.94 KiB | Viewed 5820 times ]

Attachment:
Petrel_HornetWreck_Aft5inchGunTub02.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_Aft5inchGunTub02.jpg [ 22.82 KiB | Viewed 5820 times ]

Attachment:
Petrel_HornetWreck_Aft5inchGunTubPort.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_Aft5inchGunTubPort.jpg [ 49.34 KiB | Viewed 5820 times ]

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:50 pm 

Last few....again, courtesy RV Petrel
Attachment:
Petrel_HornetWreck_portsidecamo.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_portsidecamo.jpg [ 22.3 KiB | Viewed 5821 times ]

Attachment:
Petrel_HornetWreck_portsidecamo_01.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_portsidecamo_01.jpg [ 29.92 KiB | Viewed 5821 times ]

Attachment:
Petrel_HornetWreck_TractorwithShellhole.jpg
Petrel_HornetWreck_TractorwithShellhole.jpg [ 67.54 KiB | Viewed 5821 times ]

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:49 am 

Attachment:
gms350-21M.jpg
gms350-21M.jpg [ 56.59 KiB | Viewed 5518 times ]

GMM includes these access ladders/platforms from the catwalks to the flight deck. After going through this entire thread, looking at the Maryland Silver Plans and also photos, I'm still not sure where they go. Anyone have an idea?

I want to add them to the catwalks before I go much further:
Attachment:
Hornet_082520.jpg
Hornet_082520.jpg [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 5518 times ]

As an aside, after reading this whole thread, I'm aghast to see just how many years this model has been kicking around. :doh_1:

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:52 pm 

DavidP wrote:
Enterprise 1940 plans alright? shows 2 of those inclined stairs on either end of the 5" gun decks. 2 of them at the forward end of the aft boat bay, 1 from the catwalk to a platform halfway down & the 2nd from that platform down to hanger deck level.

Thanks. I'm not sure those are the same things, and I can't find my Yorktown plans. These are short inclined ladders that lead from the catwalks to a railed platform just below the deck edge.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:27 am 

DavidP wrote:
CV-5 – USS Yorktown – Booklet of General Plans, 1940, Yorktown Class https://www.hnsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/cv5.pdf

Duh. Forgot about those. Thanks David.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:42 pm 

Well, after looking at more plans and more photos, I don't think these platforms actually exist. Not sure why they were included, but all I can find are some short vertical ladders leading up to the flight deck from the catwalks.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:44 am 

Thanks. I never trust anyone else's models for accuracy, as I don't know where they are getting their information from. I could just be repeating someone else's misinterpretation.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:58 pm 

Are the circled items floater nets?
Attachment:
HornetIsland02a.jpg
HornetIsland02a.jpg [ 746.86 KiB | Viewed 5131 times ]

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:23 pm 

Thanks. I've got different views of them, just trying to confirm that's what they are. I think that's what they are, but I wanted to be sure.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:27 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Are the circled items floater nets?
Attachment:
HornetIsland02a.jpg

Martin -
Those are refueling hose segments. They don't show up anywhere else on the ship that I've seen. Just that one location, and near the two small platforms used for refueling just forward of the where the boat crane mechanism was housed (and removed after commissioning). Don't see the hoses on YKTN or ENT, though that's not definitive of anything.
See Doyle's USS HORNET (CV-8) book, page 55 or Wiper's YORKTOWN Class carriers Page 53 for better copies of that photo.

Last edited by John W. on Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:37 pm 

David -
Yes, they are located pretty high at first glance. But in the photo you posted one can see the black fueling hose that loops along the side of the ship, hanging from strongbacks, hooks or eyes, that attach to the underside of the flight deck. The forwardmost end of this hose (or one of the hoses if there are two) comes up and over the platform just below the objects under discussion here. The two platforms visible aft of that point are, I believe, the platforms from which the RAS is conducted, not on the main deck. I recall reading that somewhere. In the following picture, a framework with three vertical posts (but without any horizontal walkway) is attached to the underside of the flight deck and visible right under where the objects being discussed are mounted in your picture, so handling the objects which I believe to be hose segments would be fairly simple.
Attachment:
1941_10_13_eCV-8.jpg
1941_10_13_eCV-8.jpg [ 144.26 KiB | Viewed 6328 times ]

I have gone back over the MD Silver plans and there are several plans that show these platforms, but their function is never named. Each platform has a vertical ladder from it to the main deck attached to the bulkhead from which the platform is cantilevered.
And to be honest, I cannot explain why the object(s) are not black, or why they seem to have stripes every foot or so. Those could be markings, or joints, or separations consistent with floater nets. If they are the latter, why are they only located there? Did the USN have them that early in the war? And why are they not in the traditional mesh baskets? One other explanation is that they are connected together and used as an oil spill containment boom. And located close to the refueling station where the accidental release of oil in-port is most likely. I don't think the USN was all that worried about those issues in those days, but I offer that for grins.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:00 am 

I really don't think those are fueling at sea hoses -- attaching a blown up view from that same photo linked above. You can clearly see the rubber sections of the floater net in the larger view:

For what it's worth, I've noticed floater nets stored this way on many ships early in the war (I suspect before the "neat and seamanlike" baskets became more widespread) -- cruiser and battleship installations come to mind, with floater nets simply piled on turret roofs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:31 am 

Ian -
Thanks for posting the high res blow up. Seems to pretty well settle it - floater nets. You can see bits of the netting too. I'm still a bit surprised, but the photo makes it pretty clear. I should note there is one of the Santa Cruz photos of the attempted salvage taken just off the starboard bow looking aft (pretty sharp photo in Doyle's book) that shows something there in the same location. It seems to be thicker - almost like the usual floater net baskets had been installed.
John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:29 pm 

Interesting. They look like they are just tied to the rails. Now, what to make them out of.... :scratch:

Thanks fellas!

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:36 pm 

John W. wrote:
Ian -
Thanks for posting the high res blow up. Seems to pretty well settle it - floater nets. You can see bits of the netting too. I'm still a bit surprised, but the photo makes it pretty clear. I should note there is one of the Santa Cruz photos of the attempted salvage taken just off the starboard bow looking aft (pretty sharp photo in Doyle's book) that shows something there in the same location. It seems to be thicker - almost like the usual floater net baskets had been installed.
John

•Battleship Bretagne 3D: https://vu.fr/FvCY
•SS Delphine 3D: https://vu.fr/NeuO
•SS Nomadic 3D: https://vu.fr/tAyL
•USS Nokomis 3D: https://vu.fr/kntC
•USS Pamanset 3D: https://vu.fr/jXGQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 918 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next