The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:33 am 

Some more work today, painting in progress on the main and casemate gun turrets and assembly and painting of bridge tripod structure in progress too:

Attachment:
DSC_0399R.JPG
DSC_0399R.JPG [ 349.83 KiB | Viewed 1824 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0398R.JPG
DSC_0398R.JPG [ 313.56 KiB | Viewed 1824 times ]

I am unsure if H.M.S. Ramillies had her gun barrels countershaded in this camouflage scheme? I have assumed she did as the regulations call for it and other battleships in this scheme did feature it. All the photos I have of her are from too far away to tell really. They were definitely countershaded when she wore the earlier Admiralty Disruptive Camouflage Pattern.

Nor can I tell the colour of the blast bags? So I have gone with a dark grey, not quite as dark as the steel deck plating. On some ships in the Admiralty Standard type scheme they look dark, on others the countershading of the barrels continues through the blast bag back to the joint with the turret.

The bridge tripod structures of this class were certainly not designed with the model kit builder in mind. They are the most convoluted most awkward shape to scratchbuild. Oh well. in the absence of a set of plans my scratchbuilding will not be anywhere near fully accurate but I hope to achieve a reasonable representation of it. To be continued.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:04 pm 

Some minor weathering to the hull. H.M.S. Ramillies was repainted shortly before I intend to depict her so I'm not going to town on the weathering. The lower hull will be predominantly hidden in a seascape with only the odd bit visible due to the wave profile while the ship is in motion. Still a work in progress:

Attachment:
DSC_0012R.JPG
DSC_0012R.JPG [ 36.85 KiB | Viewed 1782 times ]

I have also stained the wood deck sheet. I think it looks better than the original version which is far too white for wartime. H.M.S. Ramillies had deck camouflage painted on her planked deck areas when wearing the earlier Admiralty Disruptive Camouflage pattern. For the purposes of my model I have assumed this was removed when she was painted into the Admiralty Standard pattern. Anyway here is the stained deck versus the original colour. Sheet is 1:500 scale generic planking sheet from Mk1 Design:

Attachment:
DSC_0010R.JPG
DSC_0010R.JPG [ 96.55 KiB | Viewed 1782 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:44 am 

Some more progress.

I got the main gun turrets painted and added the anti-aircraft weapon platforms to 'B' and 'X' Turrets. The Quadruple PomPom platform is from the Atlantic Models photoetch set. However this only includes a single platform. The other I scavenged from an additional Atlantic Models set which In plan to use for a First World War version of ne of the class. Therefore it was spare. The 20mm Oerlikon tubs are scratchbuilt:

Attachment:
DSC_0019R.JPG
DSC_0019R.JPG [ 394.09 KiB | Viewed 1722 times ]

I also got the wood deck fitted. Still some gaps to fill in so it remains a work in progress:

Attachment:
DSC_0018R.JPG
DSC_0018R.JPG [ 393.67 KiB | Viewed 1722 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:52 pm 

Some more progress. I applied a coat of paint on the ships' boats and also painted a set of 1/500 Tom's Modelworks crew figures . They have their heads in the blu-tak so I can paint their legs. Finally I mounted the bridge superstructure onto the hull. And dry-fitted the funnel:

Attachment:
DSC_0029R.JPG
DSC_0029R.JPG [ 374.36 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0030R.JPG
DSC_0030R.JPG [ 363.74 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0032R.JPG
DSC_0032R.JPG [ 377.57 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]

I need to do paint touch-ups and to blend in the weathering. The intention is to have some funnel dirt and general soot and filth from having been steaming heavily and firing her guns on bombardment duty. But not too much rust as she was re-painted shortly before I am depicting her.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:10 pm 

Some more progress over the past couple of days. Scratchbuilt the deck hatches and vents from Evergreen Sheet, a punch and die set and the Atlantic Models 1/500 RN Doors / Hatches set. Also scratchbuilt anchor capstans as I intend to use real chain for the anchors. I am not doing every single vent and hatch and don't have sufficient photos to exactly show Ramillies in 1944. So compromises will be made in this area in the interest of getting her finished.

Attachment:
DSC_0465.JPG
DSC_0465.JPG [ 394.12 KiB | Viewed 1568 times ]

Also added the anchor rubbing strips to the deck, as well as the mooring bollards, breakwater and blast shields for 'B' and 'X' turrets. Plus some deck stowed Carley Floats. These are 3D prints courtesy of MicroMaster (Shapeways):

Attachment:
DSC_0468.JPG
DSC_0468.JPG [ 383.55 KiB | Viewed 1568 times ]

I read with interest the revelations on the H.M.S. Hood thread about her anti-fouling paint being grey. This has major implications for other RN Capital Ships also. I already have Ramillies' lower hull painted red.

I'm going to mount her in a seascape so there will be very little of the lower hull visible. I might just weather the visible areas to an indistinct muddy faded colour. I had already weathered it somewhat to mimic the lower part of the boot topping being washed away / faded away. Will have to think some more about it. Unless anyone happens to have Ramillies' records to hand indicating an actual colour.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:33 pm 

Some more progress today. All ships' boats have been fitted to their cradles for later placement on deck.

Attachment:
DSC_0473.JPG
DSC_0473.JPG [ 337.5 KiB | Viewed 1516 times ]

Scratchbuilt 20mm Oerlikon tubs added to the stern.

Attachment:
DSC_0476.JPG
DSC_0476.JPG [ 352.67 KiB | Viewed 1516 times ]

4 inch HA Guns and 40mm Octuple PomPoms added amidships. The 4 inch HA Guns are 3D Prints from MicroMaster (Shapeways) and the 40mm Octuple PomPoms are those from the Atlantic Models 1/500 R Class detail Set. The PomPoms are really nice I think.

Attachment:
DSC_0475.JPG
DSC_0475.JPG [ 375.02 KiB | Viewed 1516 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:13 am 

I love your Ramillies, Mr. Church! Super build.

I hope to built this ship one day in 1:350. One way or another.

Btw: Ramillies was named after a little village in Belgium, not far from where I live: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramillies,_Belgium

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:56 am 

Thanks Maarten, glad you like it!

I agree a 1/350 Ramillies would be lovely. My preference would be the First World War Dazzle Painted version, followed closely by the 1944 scheme as seen on my 1/500 model. She had an Admiralty Disruptive scheme too as well as an unofficial three tone camouflage before that. So plenty of schemes to choose from!

Interesting regarding the name, in all my research I never looked up the origin of the name. I figured it was an historical battle from somewhere but did not know it was a village in Belgium. Thanks for the info!

Back to the model, I have got some of the more fiddly parts done. Added the handrails, steps, HACS Directors, PomPom Directors, 20mm Oerlikons as well as some scratchbuilt missile jammers. Also added the mainmast and made a start on the rigging. This will be basic simplified rigging:

Attachment:
DSC_0481.JPG
DSC_0481.JPG [ 395.13 KiB | Viewed 1425 times ]

I added the Quad PomPoms and Oerlikons to 'B' and 'X' main gun turrets too. They look well I think, plenty of firepower:

Attachment:
DSC_0482.JPG
DSC_0482.JPG [ 382.45 KiB | Viewed 1425 times ]

Plan is to hopefully finish off the rigging before cluttering up the shelter deck with the ships' boats, deck vents, 4 inch ready use ammo lockers and the lattice crane. Edging slowly towards overall completion.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:23 am 

Some more progress. Not the best photo due to limitations of Macro Mode on my phone camera. As an aside the earlier photos seem to make the blue hull panel look much more brilliant and vibrant than it really is. Quirks of phone cameras.

Anyway, I have scratchbuilt paravanes. Paravane representations were moulded onto the superstructure side on the original kit. The scratchbuilt replacements should be an improvement. Also I assembled some cable reels. Just to add to the general deck clutter and give her that 'in active service' look. The cable reels are from the White Ensign Models 1/400 scale set as I don't know of any being available in 1/500. Another compromise but I hope it will be minimally noticeable at the end of the day.

I also twisted up some fishing line and glued it together and painted it dark grey. Hopefully it will adequately resemble flota nets when dried out and cut up into short lengths. Reference photos show Ramillies sporting plenty of flota nets in 1944.

Attachment:
DSC_0488.JPG
DSC_0488.JPG [ 392.04 KiB | Viewed 1383 times ]

Separately I have assembled all the 4 inch ammo lockers. These using the Atlantic Models 1/500 doors and hatches set, with Evergreen square sections forming the bulk of the lockers.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:26 am 

Brilliant work so far! Following with great interest. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:04 pm 

Thanks Neptune, glad you find it interesting.

Some more progress. Have added the ships' boats, boat booms, all the cable reels, the paravanes, the 4 inch ammo lockers, the davits from the Atlantic Models Detail Set and an Eduard etched White Ensign. This is officially 1/700 scale but I think it looks OK?

Attachment:
DSC_0495.JPG
DSC_0495.JPG [ 373.89 KiB | Viewed 1313 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0496.JPG
DSC_0496.JPG [ 364.48 KiB | Viewed 1313 times ]

Some more details still to add, but getting close to completion now. My fishing line flota net idea failed unfortunately as the final thing proved impossible to cut into the short lengths required. So Plan B has been activated to just use regular household string soaked in artist's medium and painted. It will be less accurate and more frayed than the fishing line but hopefully will look passable.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:52 pm 

Some more progress.

Started cutting out the flota nets from the artist's medium soaked string. They successfully cut this time which is good. I made plenty of length so can reject any that look too poor and should hopefully have enough good ones to fit out Ramillies. Once smoothed out a bit and installed on the ship, followed by paint touch ups they should look OK hopefully. Or better than omitting the detail at least:

Attachment:
DSC_0546.JPG
DSC_0546.JPG [ 369.04 KiB | Viewed 1255 times ]

Also added the anchor chains. These are Artwox 1/700 chain which I stretched out between two cocktail sticks and primed and painted. The Blake Slip Chains etc are the etches from the 1/500 Atlantic Models 'R' Class set. I don't like etched chains as the main anchor chains as I think they look too flat. But they look just the part for the smaller diameter Blake Slip Chains:

Attachment:
DSC_0545.JPG
DSC_0545.JPG [ 379.16 KiB | Viewed 1255 times ]

Next up, installation of crew figures.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:13 pm 

An amusing little aside, it seems sailors aboard the real H.M.S. Ramillies enjoyed a spot of model making back in 1936:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX11yRDr24E

All in all a fascinating little snippet of the past.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:06 pm 

The model (yours, not the one in the video :heh: ) looks terrific!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:44 pm 

Very nice result of much work on a really poor kit. Your Ramillies looks the business!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:56 am 

Very nice! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:31 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Lovely!

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:34 am 

I appreciate all the kind words lads, many thanks to everyone who commented. Glad people are enjoying watching the build progress.

Some more progress today. I have added a set of crew figures, Tom's Modelworks 1/500 Scale Crew Figures. I placed them manning the anti-aircraft weapons and the 4 inch dual purpose guns for the most part. The Oerlikons and PomPoms are probably somewhat under-manned in reality, but oh well. Not sure I'm bothered adding another whole crew set to her! I'll have to think about it. I also added the flota nets formed from string as mentioned above. These are attached to the splinter shields.

Attachment:
DSC_0674.JPG
DSC_0674.JPG [ 399.98 KiB | Viewed 1224 times ]

As mentioned at the outset my intention is to depict her as seen during Operation Dragoon, the Allied invasion of Southern France in 1944.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:42 am 

I decided to bite the bullet and add more crew figures. I have spent so long on Ramillies already that the additional time required to paint and fit the extra figures is very small in the overall scheme of things. I'll add some to Ramillies and some to Royal Oak which also needs crew figures added.

The figures are another set of Tom's Modelworks 1/500 figures as before. Painting in progress:

Attachment:
DSC_0055.JPG
DSC_0055.JPG [ 373.22 KiB | Viewed 1158 times ]

i'll hopefully start work on the sea base shortly.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:35 am 

Some more progress, the final round of progress on the ship in fact.

I added the extra crew figures and the rubbish chutes forward on the hull sides. So that’s her fully completed and manned, unless I spot any additional minor paint touch-ups?

She took quite a bit of work to complete, more than I anticipated. Primarily due to her extensive AA, radar and missile jammer fit. As well as the torpedo bulges. A close call between her and H.M.S. Royal Oak as to which was the more difficult build? Ramillies probably edges it due to the radar and missile jammer fit and having to research all of that.

Attachment:
DSC_0063.JPG
DSC_0063.JPG [ 387.81 KiB | Viewed 1107 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0064.JPG
DSC_0064.JPG [ 371.07 KiB | Viewed 1107 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0067.JPG
DSC_0067.JPG [ 362.43 KiB | Viewed 1107 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0068.JPG
DSC_0068.JPG [ 395.92 KiB | Viewed 1107 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_0075.JPG
DSC_0075.JPG [ 397.36 KiB | Viewed 1107 times ]

All her Oerlikons now have a crew of three each with more crew assigned to the PomPoms and the 4 inch battery also. All that remains now is to build a sea base and mount her in it. I’ll post more updates as I work on that.

In other news work is already advancing on my next project, H.M.S. Revenge in her 1918 fit. Should be significantly less complicated than Ramillies:

Attachment:
DSC_0079.JPG
DSC_0079.JPG [ 379.7 KiB | Viewed 1107 times ]

Report this post