The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218 ... 239  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:26 am 

This is rendering that shows the three basic ABL configurations on the USS New Jersey. There are actually more variations because the four end extensions for the bases are aligned to the beams under the deck so they do not have the same length.

Attachment:
Tomahawk ABL V2 06.jpg
Tomahawk ABL V2 06.jpg [ 94.65 KiB | Viewed 2595 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:23 pm 

Hello everyone,

I'm building Revell's platinum 1/350 USS New Jersey right now, and I'm seeking additional aftermarket parts for elements of the model that even with Revell's upgrades still look shoddy.

In particular, I'm looking for any improved parts on the small rigid hull ships (Seen here) that are lacking upgrades.

Does anyone know the name of these particular vessels to help my search for better pieces?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:11 pm 

You can find the names of them on the first page of this set of drawings, and then on the overhead view you can find the specific boats with the names attached to where they are: https://www.hnsa.org/wp-content/uploads ... 8/bb62.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:21 am 

frenchc197 wrote:
Does anyone know the name of these particular vessels to help my search for better pieces?

On the port side, it's 40-foot utility boat with a 26-foot motor whale boat above.
On the starboard side, it's a 33-foot personnel boat with a 26-foot motor whale boat above.

A variety of boats were used on dollies, including
26-foot personnel boat
28-foot personnel boat
33-foot personnel boat
40-foot personnel boat
40-foot utility boat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:32 pm 

frenchc197 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm building Revell's platinum 1/350 USS New Jersey right now, and I'm seeking additional aftermarket parts for elements of the model that even with Revell's upgrades still look shoddy.

In particular, I'm looking for any improved parts on the small rigid hull ships (Seen here) that are lacking upgrades.

For the larger boat aft of the refueling tower look up "USN Captain's Gig". Yours will need be hollowed out and an interior fitted, that upper projection removed to be replaced with a windscreen, the windows either cut out and replaced, or painted black to simulate glass, railings added fore and aft, and a prop before the rudder.

I see on Shapeways that "BaconFistModels" produce several 1/350 USN boats if you want an upgrade. I've not bought from them so I cannot speak to their level of detail.

JoeP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:14 am 

JoeP wrote:
frenchc197 wrote:

Some accuracy notes (just addressing the add-ons):

1. The ladder openings on the ABLS face inboard on the aft group and forward on the forward group, except that the two forward ABLs on the NJ have openings on both sides.

2. There is a full deck behind the Harpoon shields at the top of the shied.

3. The aft harpoon platform is the narrow version that is correct for early 1980's It was widened to add tracks for ABL reloading.

4. There is a bulwark (rather than railing) at the O1 next to the refueling kingpost.

5. There is no border around the odd shaped decking around turret 3. The non-wood area was a a rubber mat over wood.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:49 pm 

I am building the Joy-Yard 1/350 USS Missouri. I am toying with the idea of converting her to the Wisconsin circa late 1944, early 1945.
Any advise on the differences between these two would be greatly appreciated. I have checked most of the regular references.

Thanks, Harley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:11 pm 

tigerdvr wrote:
I am building the Joy-Yard 1/350 USS Missouri. I am toying with the idea of converting her to the Wisconsin circa late 1944, early 1945.
Any advise on the differences between these two would be greatly appreciated. I have checked most of the regular references.

There are not any major structural differences. However, you will likely find differences in details such as the position of 20mm guns and radar.

E.g., at the 02 level there is a platform designed for 2x20mm. However, the Wisconsin had three guns wedged in there from the beginning. I don't know if the Missouri did the same.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:27 pm 

DavidP wrote:
what is the standard ww2 boot top width on the Iowa's?

Waterline: 34'9-1/4"

IA/NJ: 17" above WL and 5' 6-1/2" below WL at the bow. 17" above WL and 12-1/2" below at the stern
MO/WI: 34' 9-1/4 below and 38' 2-3/4" above.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:54 pm 

Interesting stuff - why was the boot top width different on some of the ships?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:16 pm 

Ian Roberts wrote:
Interesting stuff - why was the boot top width different on some of the ships?

There is no reason given in the blueprints. However, one can imagine it was because the IA/NJ were lighter than the MO/WI. The former did not have as much armor and thicker plating was used in many places on the latter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:55 am 

A useful photo of the USS New Jersey transiting the Panama Canal in the 1980s. Probably early 1980s as later photos show her main gun turret roofs painted dark grey whereas they are still light grey here. It shows good detail of the colours of the anti-slip coating on her fantail. It looks pretty beaten up:
https://nara.getarchive.net/media/the-starboard-aft-section-of-the-battleship-uss-new-jersey-bb-62-during-its-e640a6?zoom=true

A small section has been repainted in a medium grey immediately to starboard of her aft main gun turret. With it being trafficked by aircraft, boats, supplies etc and being bleached by sun and washed by sea spray repainting it must have been a frequently repeated job for her crew.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:15 pm 

Navsource has this photo of her at that time listed as:
"The New Jersey (BB-62) passes through the Gaillard Cut during a transit of the canal, 27 April 1984."
The Kaman SH-2 Seasprite is onboard in the same location.

This would be on her way home from her deployment off the coast of Beirut, Lebanon.
She doesn't yet have the jettisonable fuel bladders installed in the port 40mm gun tub

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/0162013.jpg

James

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:15 am 

Very good, that would explain the wear and tear to the flight deck.

Her light grey main gun turret tops were repainted dark grey by the time of this photo in October 1986:
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016261.jpg

It was possibly done earlier than that but none of the photos from 1985 on the site clearly show the turret roofs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:23 pm 

The coating on the fantail is a rubber mat placed over the wood deck. Rather than repair the deck, it was covered with adhesive with the mat on top.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:06 am 

bigjimslade wrote:
The coating on the fantail is a rubber mat placed over the wood deck. Rather than repair the deck, it was covered with adhesive with the mat on top.
Are you referring to the helo pad or...
Mr. Church wrote:
A small section has been repainted in a medium grey immediately to starboard of her aft main gun turret.
?

I don't have a real answer for why that particular paint was used in that spot. I know that later on, any paint on the wood was non-skid for that purpose, to keep people from slipping on it.

The helo pad is an elevated steel structure that has AFFF plumbing between it and the steel main deck.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:17 pm 

Quote:
Mr. Church wrote:
A small section has been repainted in a medium grey immediately to starboard of her aft main gun turret.
?

I don't have a real answer for why that particular paint was used in that spot. I know that later on, any paint on the wood was non-skid for that purpose, to keep people from slipping on it.

The helo pad is an elevated steel structure that has AFFF plumbing between it and the steel main deck.

Thanks for the response. I imagine it was simply a localised patch repair pending a return to the shipyard for refitting? I gather the Lebanon Mission she was on took nearly a year so no doubt she badly needed repair and refitting after that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQB0_1_XRd8

The Iowa Class fantails look different in virtually every photo you see of them from the 1980s. Sometimes they look very dark almost black and other times they are at the lighter end of medium grey. Or sections of each together? Even when comparing photos taken in similar weather and where the deck is dry in each case. The material must have faded and been re-painted in sections at a time? Also interesting how all four ships had different areas of the fantail covered by the anti-slip coating.

I had to Google what AFFF was. Always wondered why the helipad was raised like that in the 1980's? Makes sense. Pity Tamiya didn't notice it when doing their 1/350 kits. The raised section is quite noticeable when you look at photos of the fantails.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:17 pm 

The New Jersey's helipad was put in during the 1960's. I believe it is higher then the one on the others.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:14 pm 

bigjimslade wrote:
The New Jersey's helipad was put in during the 1960's. I believe it is higher then the one on the others.

Jim,

Yes, I believe you are correct. However, I can't recall the exact height above the teak decking of the 1967 steel pad that was put down. I don't believe the 1981 refit removed that pad, only modified, extended, and updated what was already there.

Hope this helps,

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:37 pm 

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there were any significant differences between the Wisconsin and the Mighty Mo by the end of WWII. I've pored over pictures and as far as I can tell, the two were nearly identical, right down to the arrangement of bulkhead details. I was wondering anyone could confirm my suspicions?

Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218 ... 239  Next