The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:28 pm 

ModelMonkey wrote:
Let me know if you can think of anything else.

Oy! Have you gotten a chance to start sketching Flag conversion Newport News pieces (mainly re-purposed Tartar-D structures built around 3" mounts for flag facilities)?

Thanks so much!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:21 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

navydavesof wrote:
ModelMonkey wrote:

Oy! Have you gotten a chance to start sketching Flag conversion Newport News pieces (mainly re-purposed Tartar-D structures built around 3" mounts for flag facilities)?...

I'm sorry, Navydavesof, the question was specific to any Salem bridge features Tracy would like me to capture in the replacement Salem bridge parts I'm working on. I regret to say that except for turrets, there are no plans to design other Salem parts or conversion parts for other ships of the class.

Below are some renderings of the new bridge after this weekend's updates. Some of what you see here will change and more details will be added. Features that may be of interest:
- The last rendering shows the door on the aft side of the lower deckhouse you (Tracy) asked me to capture. This door and some, but not all, of the other doors will received dogs, too.
- The length of the uppermost deck and deckhouse matches BoGP drawings. It is shorter than the Very Fire kit's parts.
- The shape of the Mk.37 Director tower is consistent with BoGP drawings and photos of Salem, considerably differently shaped than the Very Fire kit's tower which is a simple cylinder.
- The black non-skid is consistent with the Very Fire kit, so that these parts will match the kit's "non-skidded" aft superstructure parts. The non-skid looks very thick in the renderings but is actually just 0.1 mm thin, rising above the deck just enough to be paintable. None of the photos I have of the real ship show any non-skid at all. The ship may have had non-skid applied to her decks and perhaps other references I don't have access to show it. If you would like the non-skid removed from the design, just let me know.
- Vertical reinforcing ribs have been added to the interior of the splinter shielding all around. The Very Fire kit has no splinter shielding ribs.

The model will be separated into 3 parts for easier painting. Generally, the separations will be where a deckhouse meets a deck.

Attachments:
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge at 98 percent complete a.png
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge at 98 percent complete a.png [ 165.99 KiB | Viewed 1953 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge at 98 percent complete b.png
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge at 98 percent complete b.png [ 259.49 KiB | Viewed 1953 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge at 98 percent complete c.png
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge at 98 percent complete c.png [ 332.48 KiB | Viewed 1953 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge at 98 percent complete d.png
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge at 98 percent complete d.png [ 237.58 KiB | Viewed 1953 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge at 98 percent complete e.png
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge at 98 percent complete e.png [ 267.45 KiB | Viewed 1953 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:06 am 

ModelMonkey wrote:
The model will be separated into 3 parts for easier painting. Generally, the separations will be where a deckhouse meets a deck.

Excellent work, Monkey! You are making some great products!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:27 am 

ModelMonkey wrote:

Great idea!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:26 am 

Steve - really appreciate the work you've put into this. :thumbs_up_1:

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:56 pm 

ModelMonkey wrote:
Below are some renderings of the new bridge after this weekend's updates. Some of what you see here will change and more details will be added. Features that may be of interest:
- The last rendering shows the door on the aft side of the lower deckhouse you (Tracy) asked me to capture. This door and some, but not all, of the other doors will received dogs, too.
- The length of the uppermost deck and deckhouse matches BoGP drawings. It is shorter than the Very Fire kit's parts.
- The shape of the Mk.37 Director tower is consistent with BoGP drawings and photos of Salem, considerably differently shaped than the Very Fire kit's tower which is a simple cylinder.
- The black non-skid is consistent with the Very Fire kit, so that these parts will match the kit's "non-skidded" aft superstructure parts. The non-skid looks very thick in the renderings but is actually just 0.1 mm thin, rising above the deck just enough to be paintable. None of the photos I have of the real ship show any non-skid at all. The ship may have had non-skid applied to her decks and perhaps other references I don't have access to show it. If you would like the non-skid removed from the design, just let me know.
- Vertical reinforcing ribs have been added to the interior of the splinter shielding all around. The Very Fire kit has no splinter shielding ribs.

Love the upgrade, it's much more realistic! The square 'box' to the right of the at-sea Flag cabin on the aft end of the Flag Bridge is a non-structural tin/steel storage locker with a flush and square-cut door facing aft. The Salem gallery picture Salem237 featuring the ship's bell shows the upper left side of this add-on storage locker.
The forward section of the flag bridge is significantly less detailed that the main bridge above it, so your model got it right. The 'roof' of the main bridge is a tin/steel add-on when the the original canvas rigged covering wasn't really good enough while the ship was in service. The overhead in the Flag bridge should obviously have (and yours does) the structural elements supporting the deck above.

I love your upgrade and I will be ordering at least one set when it is available!

Quincy, Massachusetts, USA
http://www.uss-salem.org/

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:14 pm 

navydavesof wrote:
ModelMonkey wrote:

Oy! Have you gotten a chance to start sketching Flag conversion Newport News pieces (mainly re-purposed Tartar-D structures built around 3" mounts for flag facilities)?

Thanks so much!

Depending on how well the existing Salem and Des Moines kits sell, Very Fire will be doing a modernized Newport News at some point. They have engineered the existing kits to allow for the multiple variations so far: 1) Des Moines as built 2) Salem/Des Moines/Newport News in the first 10 years of service.

Quincy, Massachusetts, USA
http://www.uss-salem.org/

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:55 am 

lmo1960 wrote:
Depending on how well the existing Salem and Des Moines kits sell, Very Fire will be doing a modernized Newport News at some point. They have engineered the existing kits to allow for the multiple variations so far: 1) Des Moines as built 2) Salem/Des Moines/Newport News in the first 10 years of service.
Excellent, thank you! I have put my money where my mouth is, I have my USS Salem kit! Boy is she a beauty?! I am about to begin work on Newport News-like structures for her.

Thanks for the news and updates based upon a possible Newport News version. The great thing about a Newport News version would not be a re-design of the kit, but would instead be additional pieces to add onto the existing kit or swapping some out for others.

Keep up the good work! :thumbs_up_1:

:woo_hoo:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:28 am 

Just a quick update for everyone to set expectations...

I have been and will continue to be busy with a couple of large "time sensitive" projects at work that have been eating all of my time. I don't anticipate any serious bench time for the next two weeks. :dead:

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:02 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Good news, Tracy and friends, your new 3D bridge design is done. I'll run a test print shortly.

The 3D model is significantly different in detail than the kit parts.

Attachment:
File comment: Photo: Modellmarine.de
36.jpg
36.jpg [ 198.41 KiB | Viewed 1622 times ]

Attachments:
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete a.png
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete a.png [ 243.37 KiB | Viewed 1622 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete b.png
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete b.png [ 314.91 KiB | Viewed 1622 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete c.png
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete c.png [ 325.74 KiB | Viewed 1622 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete d.png
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete d.png [ 338.89 KiB | Viewed 1622 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete e.png
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete e.png [ 254.84 KiB | Viewed 1622 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete f.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete f.jpg [ 165.16 KiB | Viewed 1622 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete g.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete g.jpg [ 115.75 KiB | Viewed 1622 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete h.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete h.jpg [ 160.32 KiB | Viewed 1622 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete i.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge complete i.jpg [ 175.26 KiB | Viewed 1622 times ]

-Steve L.

Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:07 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Here are the kit parts for comparison with the 3D model shown above. Notice the shape differences between the kit's pilot house and Mk.37 director tower with those of the 3D model.

Attachments:
Very Fire 1-350 USS Salem bridge parts a.jpg
Very Fire 1-350 USS Salem bridge parts a.jpg [ 169.21 KiB | Viewed 1618 times ]
Very Fire 1-350 USS Salem bridge parts b.jpg
Very Fire 1-350 USS Salem bridge parts b.jpg [ 177.19 KiB | Viewed 1618 times ]

-Steve L.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:10 pm 

:: like button ::

Looking forward to things settling down at work so I have some bench time again.

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:46 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Ta-daaa.

The model is ready and is now listed in the catalog.

Attachments:
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge a.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge a.jpg [ 215.41 KiB | Viewed 1523 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge d.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge d.jpg [ 166.83 KiB | Viewed 1523 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge e.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge e.jpg [ 194.99 KiB | Viewed 1523 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge f.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge f.jpg [ 122.66 KiB | Viewed 1523 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge g.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge g.jpg [ 174.96 KiB | Viewed 1523 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge h.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge h.jpg [ 165.07 KiB | Viewed 1523 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge i.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge i.jpg [ 160.45 KiB | Viewed 1523 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge j.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge j.jpg [ 197.34 KiB | Viewed 1523 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge k.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge k.jpg [ 186.63 KiB | Viewed 1523 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge assembly guide.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Salem CA-139 Bridge assembly guide.jpg [ 252.81 KiB | Viewed 1523 times ]

-Steve L.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:40 pm 
Kraken Hobbies
Kraken Hobbies

Looks fantastic Steve! The kit parts don't even belong in the same zip code

Matt

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:49 pm 

Tracy and Steve(MM)...
You guys are making it impossible to NOT want to buy a 1/350 Salem.

This beautiful kit with those 3D parts will be fantastic.

I had held out hope that the USN would keep that last Gunned Cruiser. Ya know, just in case. The USS Des Moines was still here in Philly in 2005.

Nino.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:50 pm 

Hey guys - I got my set from Steve on Friday but have been busy catching up on house and yard work and wasn't able to open them until today.

I'm going to go with "wow!" and "Niiiiiiiiceeeee!!!!!!" :thumbs_up_1:

I'll be busy this work though and won't have time to start cutting pieces free until Thursday night. I did want to publicly thank Steve - I asked him if he'd do one or two small parts for me and he did four larger ones. I really appreciate the good people we have in this hobby and Steve's one of them.

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:14 am 

Tuesday afternoon saw a casualty in the breaker that powers the office - I have our computers running via a couple of extension cords but no overhead lights, so no Thursday night modeling session. I did make some progress though in a coupe of couch sessions hanging out with the Girlfriend and the Mandalorian.

One of the potentian "problems" with the kit that I am probably overthinking is the technique for painting decks and the gun tubs, which have a good amount of overhangs and walk ways underneath that would be very difficult to mask and paint with the tubs in place. So, I decided to leave the tubs off until after the deck was painted, but also given the tight tolerances in today's models, I didn't want to cause fit problems or lots of extra work in scraping down paint. So... we have multiple phases of masking as my method to work around this. I present, Phase One, the areas of the deck that I don't want paint on:

Attachment:
File comment: Port side forward gun tubs
Salem 24.jpg
Salem 24.jpg [ 63.56 KiB | Viewed 1238 times ]

Marking out where the tape goes was pretty easy - I just set the tubs in place and hit the model with it's first layer of primer. The trick with the tape is to get it just inside the line so that no tape is seen when the tub is set down. I cut Tamiya tape into pieces roughly a bit longer than half way, so I could place one in each corner and have a touch of overlap. After doing this I noticed/remembered that the superstructure bulkheads also have some areas that are covered up that a layer of paint might cause fit issues with, so on went some more tape. I had all eight tubs masked off in the space of an evening. Oddly enough, the next step after this will be to paint the hull from the antifouling up.

Standard PE, Steve's bridge improvements, and some Black Cat Mk 56 directors aside, I have wanted to keep this build largely stock, but one departure is the myriad of radio antennas that surround the superstructure - for whatever reason it just has an appeal to me. That said, there is a large aspect of "fragility is thy middle name" about such an addition, so I am going to experiment with a technique a fellow IPMS Seattle model club member advocated for armor model antennas, carbon fiber rod. I have four .010" (.28mm) rods of a meter long to experiment with, I figure that should be enough to get a good technique down. :big_grin: Fairly inexpensive as well

I have the lower two levels of Steve's bridge pieces cut free as well. The middle level still needs some cleanup work to enable it to sit down correctly, but I don't anticipate that taking too long. I plan on treating this as a subassembly that largely "snaps" into place at the end of construction, although the inclined ladders from the levels below may force a change in approach there.

-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post