1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (COMPLETE)

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, JIM BAUMANN, Jon, Dan K

marijn van gils
Posts: 2750
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:24 am
Location: Belgium

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (COMPLETE)

Post by marijn van gils »

Congratulations! Great job! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
I really like the overall feel and colours a lot!
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (COMPLETE)

Post by Dan K »

That's a fantastic build.
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (COMPLETE)

Post by pascalemod »

Dan K wrote:That's a fantastic build.
Thank you, appreciate you following it. Good quality pics I hope will be coming soon, just need to sponsor my HeliconFocus license...
marijn van gils wrote:Congratulations! Great job! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
I really like the overall feel and colours a lot!
I hope you will like it even more when I do proper not iphone pics, to do it justice. Much thanks for these words, that means a lot!

kurusu wrote:Truly impressive. :thumbs_up_1:

Bravo!
Much appreciated! :)

...

Ande below are the few test shots using a normal camera and focus stacking. I know it needs a proper base..
Attachments
2020-10-29 00-51-39 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg
2020-10-29 00-43-30 (A,Radius8,Smoothing4) (1).jpg
2020-10-29 00-48-51 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg
PERFECT SIDE POWD.jpg
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (COMPLETE)

Post by pascalemod »

Had to put them together - such a big difference between concepts and technology in just 20 years... The bulges on Hood v flat sides on PoW shows such an interesting way torpedos affected hull shapes, plus the whole battlecruiser v battleship thing...
Attachments
a 2020-10-29 09-14-11 (C,Smoothing2) (1).jpg
a2020-10-29 09-11-17 (A,Radius8,Smoothing2).jpg
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
marijn van gils
Posts: 2750
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:24 am
Location: Belgium

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (COMPLETE)

Post by marijn van gils »

Great photo's!

I think she can stand some close-ups too? ;)
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (COMPLETE)

Post by pascalemod »

marijn van gils wrote:Great photo's!

I think she can stand some close-ups too? ;)
Taking those for the "completed" section on the weekend I hope. ;) I am not good figuring out the angles, but I think Ill do a pic set as if you do a flyby of the ship.

I have put together a dry dock base for another project (Bismark) a while ago, to tie it all together - and here is a test shot:
Attachments
2020-10-30 18-00-06 (B,Radius3,Smoothing2) (2).jpg
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
User avatar
Richard Durham
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:47 pm
Location: San Diego CA

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (COMPLETE)

Post by Richard Durham »

Great build and really liked your use of Tamiya XF66 for 507 A/B. I have used Model Master Acrylic FS 35237 for 507 A/B but the XF66 seems to be a much better color. I think that Sovereign Hobbies has done some great work in sorting out the 507 A/B confusion. Thanks! Rich Durham
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (COMPLETE)

Post by pascalemod »

Richard Durham wrote:Great build and really liked your use of Tamiya XF66 for 507 A/B. I have used Model Master Acrylic FS 35237 for 507 A/B but the XF66 seems to be a much better color. I think that Sovereign Hobbies has done some great work in sorting out the 507 A/B confusion. Thanks! Rich Durham
I went with XF66 on my Hood in the past, and there, on a darker base, it also turned out a bit darker, amplified by weathering. So now, next to my Hood, PoW looks a little lighter. Which is pretty interesting. But all in all I think Im fine with the result, and the initial credit goes to Hood Association website who said its ok to use XF66 but like, its not perfect but OK. I like XF66, interestingly enough Flyhawk tells you to use it for Bismarcks main hull color, which always made me a little confused (and I dont agree). :)
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
Pieter
Posts: 1613
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:19 am

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (COMPLETE)

Post by Pieter »

There are reasonably priced kits -with full hull options- available for Renown and Repulse. Hint, hint..
pascalemod wrote: The bulges on Hood v flat sides on PoW shows such an interesting way torpedos affected hull shapes, plus the whole battlecruiser v battleship thing...
User avatar
pascalemod
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (COMPLETE)

Post by pascalemod »

Pieter wrote:There are reasonably priced kits -with full hull options- available for Renown and Repulse. Hint, hint..
pascalemod wrote: The bulges on Hood v flat sides on PoW shows such an interesting way torpedos affected hull shapes, plus the whole battlecruiser v battleship thing...
Ahaha. Very good hint. Battlecruiser fleet collection is the easiest to complete, from capital ships. I really would like to have a very late war Renown and early war or pre war Repulse. :)
- @Shipific on IG
my gallery
Post Reply

Return to “Works in Progress”