The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 59  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:15 am 

Gcj wrote:
On the subject of brown around the searchlights clearly colour footage is compelling but makes me wonder (never a good thing) about other vertical internal facing surfaces. Would that be brown as well? The trouble is with black and white photos brown and dark grey are going to look pretty similar...

Attachment:
Hoodsheltdeck41.jpg

The inside of the searchlight area is markedly darker than hull colour on some images. Of course, shade makes it quite difficult for most pics. I used to think that it was shade, but that does not really explain why the inside on this pic is darker... Also, in case there was any doubt, there is no corticine on the inside of the vertical surfaces, unless they decided to wrap up everything Christo style.

Attachment:
WL_Hood_1940.jpg

And here you see nothing out of the ordinary....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:51 am 

Now those are two interesting photos. Thanks. There are no real shadows on the top one which suggests a difused light so not much shade around. Whats interesting is the lack of any change in tone between horizontal and vertical surfaces. If they were different colours I would expect at least a slightly different tone. The bottom one has much stronger light with distinct shadows but to the right of the searchlight the vertical surface is very dark, darker than the shadows in the rest of the photos, which suggests a dark colour rather than just shade or indirect light.
So yes I buy a dark colour probably dark brown but still puzzled as to why. Unless there would be an advantage to painting the surfaces around the searchlight a dark nonreflective colour to reduce light reflection?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:12 pm 

It looks like they painted the searchlight areas in similar fashion prior to this time as well. Take, for instance, this shot from @1936/early 1937 (the platform in the foreground has a dark interior but the one on the rear superstructure doesn't seem to):
Attachment:
36searchlights.jpg
36searchlights.jpg [ 104.36 KiB | Viewed 1436 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:50 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:18 am 
???????? Sorry, EJF, my crystal ball is in a state of wilful disobedience. What, Where and Wither?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:28 am 

A rather nice example of a prewar Rodnol sailor painting a pillar white, not a sewn-on gaiter, following up from our previous discussion. Of course, no raised lip for the painted variant.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:33 am 
EJF,

I am confused as to what relevance this has to HMS HOOD? Please explain the meaning of "Rodnol?" Meanwhile, he appears to be making an awful job of it. Paint has got onto the bright work and there are drips on the deck! In place of a canvas gaiter there is one of brass/copper sheet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:17 pm 

Did someone say Rodnol? BAA!
Sorry, VERY OLD joke (but the Hood veterans I knew did always laugh when they recounted the story).
Seriously though, I have nothing but respect for Rodney and crew for finishing the job in May 1941.

Guest- "Rodnol" was a nickname for the Rodney. Not sure if it was used by the crew or by the men of other ships. I'm sure there were other names for her as well (and of course the infamous wartime sheep reference I started with above). As you well know, ships tend to have various nicknames...some decent for public usage and some that are not so nice. I know old Wobbly, I mean 7Bs, I mean Hood did (those are some of the more acceptable names the lads had for her...you should hear some of the others I was told). By the way, do you have a name you can share with us? We see you posting as "Guest" but it would be nice to know who we're dealing with. Many thanks.

All-
I can't comment on Rodney, but as far as Hood is concerned, there are some well known "classic" interior shots as well as pics from veterans personal collections in which pillars can be seen. There are admittedly not many of these of course (exterior photos far outnumber the interior shots). In some pics, the interior pillars do indeed have some sort of darker covering/wrap in the central area (roughly the same position as the external pillars positioned under the boat crutches). I have no clue what the coverings were made from. I see this in pics of the gun room and one of the ratings messes. On the other hand I've also seen shots of interior pillars with no covering (other than glossy paint). I see this in at least one shot of the chapel and one of the sick berth. Presumably the chapel pillars are the white but I'm not sure about the sick berth (it may have been green according something I was told...of course, I have no "proof" so I guess that makes it grounds for automatic dismissal though...).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:53 pm 

Gcj wrote:
First the good news. It seems the Flyhawk HMS Hood is getting near to release

Yes, they are putting the final touches on the design now. We're working on the painting instructions next (which have become a little complicated in recent months due to all the new finds/rediscoveries such as the non-red bottom, brown corticene deck sections, etc.). If all goes well, we hope they can have something out by May or mid-year. I can't really say for certain though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:53 am 
Frank,

Re: Post of 4.17pm 6 Jan.

Thank you for the "steer" on "Rodnol." I now have a connection with page 13 of Raven and Roberts' Man o' War 3 "Battleships Rodney and Nelson" though R and R spell the specific nickname "Rodol:" I won't start a semantic argument. However, for the curious, the addition of the corrupting "ol" in the names of those two ships derives from the similarity of silhouette to oil tankers. A number of naval oilers also had names ending in "OL."

I take in what you say concerning other nicknames. I used some in my time: they were usually plays on a ship's name. Only a few were apparently in use throughout the service. I will not say more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:54 am 

Hi All,

Hi Frank, yes the Flyhawk kit looks well, but I'm sure some of that is down to the advice yourself and EJ have no doubt kindly given them. The great thing is that companies like Flyhawk do still ask, and listen.

Hello Guest, Rodnol, please don't take this as red, but I always thought Rodnol was a form of combination of the two ships names in the class, ie Rodney and Nelson, rather like Repulse and Renown being known as "Refit and Repair".

But I could be wrong!

Best wishes
Cag.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:07 am 

Wiki: Because of their unusual silhouette, HMS Nelson and her sister Rodney were sarcastically nicknamed Nelsol and Rodnol by the Royal Navy ratings who never served in these ships – their manoeuvrability issues and single-funnelled silhouettes reminded Navy men of oil tankers, and a series of fleet oilers that had been built during the First World War bearing names ending in "ol".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:14 am 

Hi All,

Hi EJ thanks for that, makes much more sense, at least I was right that I could've been wrong!

Thanks again
Best wishes
Cag.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:03 am 

Attachment:
45565604_2267617276646976_535374545394073600_n.png

This pillar definitely has rope work though... (stumbled upon this pic). The sailor painting the pillar is an indication that not all partially white pillars have gaiters (though that would not not explain the rim we see on Hood, making the gaiter the better explanation).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:08 pm 

EJFoeth wrote:
This pillar definitely has rope work though

Here's an example of an interior pillar in a forward mess that appears to have had similar rope work. It either has a shiny looking wrap around the centre or that section is painted a dark colour.

Attachment:
withers12b.jpg
withers12b.jpg [ 62.81 KiB | Viewed 2497 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:01 am 

Perhaps in response to the imminent Flyhawk release, Trumpeter's re-released their 1941 Hood kit with a full suite of PE/turned brass/wooden deck parts for the ridiculously low price of $35 USD: https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/3zwih ... 1610521194

Attachments:
TRU65703B.jpg
TRU65703B.jpg [ 273.52 KiB | Viewed 2378 times ]
TRU65703A.jpg
TRU65703A.jpg [ 209.53 KiB | Viewed 2378 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:29 am 

AOTS Hood appear to show an expansion joint on Hood’s shelter deck that runs athwart ships between the funnels. Does anyone know if the expansion joint is exposed metal, or if it is covered with linoleum?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:42 am 

Metal strip.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:55 am 

Thought I would share this for the HMS Hood Forum

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XS3C4 ... 0&li=shops

Just had this designed to replace the poor nameplate Trumpeter supplied
Its a custom designed nameplate is for use with the Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Hood.
It can also be used with other model manufacturers for the 1/350 scale HMS Hood.
It features a more robust design over the kit offering with more definition to the raised lettering.

This nameplate is 2.75mm thick, 30mm tall, and 140mm wide.

The included stands can be glued onto the back of the nameplate using a small amount CA glue of your choice. With the stands attached, the name plate will sit at a 22.5 degree angle for viewing.

Two type of materials are available:
White Versatile Plastic: Has a very slight texture to it and is recommended to use a filler/surfacer primer before paint.
Smooth Fine Detail Plastic: Ready for primer and paint, may show some print lines in areas with high angles.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:01 pm 

I'm just figuring out the positioning of the 4" ready use lockers to the stbd side of the after control position on my 1/200 build with the Pontos set. Pontos show just 3 lockers for the stbd mounting rather than the 5 that I think each mounting had. I believe there should be 2 next to each other on the S bulkhead of the after control position but if fitted one of them covers the door and fwd porthole provided in the replacement etched bulkhead. (This revised configuration was pointed out to Pontos in the other thread during the development of their set). I think the aft mountings were added after the door revision to the ACP so I wonder if the lockers associated with the new mountings were simply positioned over the door? I wonder if anyone has any thoughts?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 59  Next