The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:22 am 

From left to right, combined with the NH image, I'd go with...

32ft cutter
36ft motor & pulling pinnace
30ft gig
27ft whaler

(Measurements on screen are fairly consistent with these estimates, but a foot wrong is easy)

In Conrad Waters' Town-class cruiser book, the proposed boat outfit 1933 was:

2 35ft motor pinnaces
1 35ft motor barge (if fitted as flagship)
1 36ft motor & pulling pinnace
2 32f cutters
1 30ft gig
2 27ft whalers
1 16 skiff dingy
1 10ft basla range

Consistent with the above, FWIW.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:22 am 
Re: Post of 9.22am 01 Dec

For "1 10ft basla range" read 1 10ft [u]"balsa raft"[u]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:39 pm 

I hope that this is not a stupid question, but I have this doubt about HMS Exeter rigging & flagpoles. In a combat situation, would the rigging running from main/rear mast to fore and rear flagpoles be removed, preventing any interference with the main turrets fire? And the flagpoles themselves, I understand they are either removed or folded. Any ideas?

Marco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:04 pm 

Marco, the rigs you have arrowed were dress lines, used to attach pennant flags for special occasion, they were supported on the masts by pulley block and were normally lowered and stowed when not required. The dress line between masts was also usually lowered/stowed, but it appears not always.
The Jack staff on the bow was usually erected in harbour to fly the national flag, it was stowed in open waters underway.
The Ensign staff at the stern was always erected and always flew the Ensign, all commissioned ships flew the ensign.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:55 am 

Is the pole at the stern also not only used when in harbour? And the flag at sea would be at the main mast?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:27 am 

Brett Morrow wrote:
Marco, the rigs you have arrowed were dress lines, used to attach pennant flags for special occasion, they were supported on the masts by pulley block and were normally lowered and stowed when not required. The dress line between masts was also usually lowered/stowed, but it appears not always.
The Jack staff on the bow was usually erected in harbour to fly the national flag, it was stowed in open waters underway.
The Ensign staff at the stern was always erected and always flew the Ensign, all commissioned ships flew the ensign.

Thank you, Brett. So, if the HMS Exeter would be about to enter combat with the Graf Spee, December 13, 1939, would the lines numbered in the following drawings NOT be in place? There a couple lines at the rear that seem to be radio antennas, they should be gone, too? And I think that the ensign staff on the rear would be removed/folded in combat, and the flags would be flown from the main mast? Sorry if I ask too much, had the same issue with the Graf Spee, and I want to model my HMS Exeter in combat operations, not as entering a harbor, thanks!

Marco

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:24 pm 

I recall a question along these lines somewhere but do not remember where, it may have been in relation to ensigns flown in battle and may have actually concerned Exeter.
The Ensign staff appears in most cases to have been folded in open waters, and the Ensign was flown from the mainmast gaff, but there also exists quite a number of images which show the Ensign staff erected with flag flying whilst underway in open waters. This question and circumstances may only be answered in a Seaman`s manual of the day, what is classed as open waters? and under what conditions?

Marco`s renderings show a number of lines, the very top line 3 would be a `topgallant stay` which I believe would remain in place but other opinions welcome, the lower line 2 would be a dressline and I believe would be lowered, there are 2 lines aft of the mainmast, one would be a gallant stay and the other a dressline.

I could not comment on the aerial lines shown and one must question whether the drawing is accurate? they do not appear in images of the day, ie Exeter in Balboa 34. I have not seen aerial lines rigged as such, what is required is a rigging diagram for Exeter prewar.

How many Ensigns flown in battle? a good question. Possibly at least 2, on mainmast gaff and from foremast.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:40 pm 

In the end, I need a rigging blueprint... which I don´t have the slightest idea where to get, Morskie I don´t trust (and I can´t guarantee that the drawing I uploaded is accurate, either), and there are no pictures of combat situations for the HMS Exeter. At least I am sure about not installing the "dressline" (and somebody will tell me "you did not install the complete rigging...") Well, still several months until I reach rigging stage in my model!

Thank you, Brett.

Marco

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:42 pm 

Marco, if you go back to page 19, Kevin D has posted a rig diagram `as designed` it shows the 2 aft aerial lines, I can not comment on it`s accuracy, the lines do not appear present in images. The oh image dated 1934 shows no aerials, I can not see them in other images.
Admittedly the aerials are so thin they can`t be seen between masts in that particular image.
You could likely obtain a rigging plan from Greenwich museum, it would cost you.
Here a rig diagram unfortunately the only resolution I have, perhaps someone has a larger print to share, aerials appear not to be shown in this plan.

A number of paintings appear on the PD, one image shows 2 ensigns flying, another shows 4 ?? that image also shows topgallant stay and dressline strung?

I understand your frustration to achieve accuracy, and also your trepidation of unwanted comments/criticism should you get it wrong, honestly do not let the latter bother you?
All the best

Attachments:
EXETER RIG.jpg
EXETER RIG.jpg [ 190.63 KiB | Viewed 1446 times ]
EXETER, 34.jpg
EXETER, 34.jpg [ 347.59 KiB | Viewed 1446 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:00 pm 

Thank you, Brett and David. Up to now, I guess it was 2 lines astern, 2 or 3 lines up front, will follow the photographical references as much as I can, trying to match them to blueprints. Thank you, David, for the blueprint offering, if it not too much bothering, I will send you a pm, such details always come in handy!

Marco

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:19 am 

Brett Morrow wrote:
The Ensign staff appears in most cases to have been folded in open waters, and the Ensign was flown from the mainmast gaff, but there also exists quite a number of images which show the Ensign staff erected with flag flying whilst underway in open waters. This question and circumstances may only be answered in a Seaman`s manual of the day, what is classed as open waters? and under what conditions?

The then KR's might have been the guide but if not then I suspect the custom and practice would not have been very different to that laid down in today's QR's: "9113. Manner of Wearing Colours 1. In harbour and when under way in pilotage waters the White Ensign is to be worn at the ensign staff. At sea it is normally to be worn, in a one-masted ship, on a staff in a suitable position on the after superstructure, and in a two-masted ship at a small gaff on the mainmast. On ceremonial occasions at sea the Ensign may be worn at the Ensign staff at the discretion of the Commanding Officer, or as ordered by the senior officer of the Squadron, who is to ensure uniformity. See Para 9115 on alternative positions for the sea Ensign when a staff or gaff is not available."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:24 am 

Thank you, David, got it!
In this case, flag is hanging from the rear mast, I think I´ve got couple more showing this array when on high seas, I think this is the one I am going to use on my model. Notice that, although the main armament is being used, ensign staff is up, as is the stern flagpole. Could be of course maneuvers only without live firing.

Marco

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:00 am 

Difficult to tell from the photo of Exeter turning to starboard, but it appears that the foc's'le guardrails and those round "B" gundeck are still in place; they would normally have been struck before firing the main armament, either for practice or in anger.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:21 am 

David P, is your 1930 drawing the same one as below?

Attachments:
Exeter-Plans-1930.jpg
Exeter-Plans-1930.jpg [ 370.62 KiB | Viewed 1680 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:41 pm 

Does it say 30ft motor pinnace beneath the starboard aircraft?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:44 am 

Thanks DavidP.

EJ, below is a clearer version of the text for the boats. Biggest size image I could make / post given the 400kb file size for posting here.

Attachments:
Exeter-boats-from-1930-Plan.jpg
Exeter-boats-from-1930-Plan.jpg [ 390.64 KiB | Viewed 1618 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:24 am 

It's very useful, I initially believed that this pinnace was a 35ft version (as they are so alike) but apparently not!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:30 pm 

Trumpeters kit represents the upper deck around the airplanes catapults in grey, antiskid. But I see wood planks in this picture on the upper deck, right between the boats and the airplane deck, quite different from the dark gray antiskid on the rear castle. Thoughts? (Maybe we need to start scribing that deck, too!)

Marco

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:55 am 

For those so interested a beautiful painting of HMS Exeter at the Battle of the Java Sea can be seen here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=315008&p=929236#p929236

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:53 am 

Hi gents,

I have often been asked if the acute fore-gun angles in the painting I had commissioned many years ago of HMS Exeter's last battle https://www.jamesaflood.com/hms-exeters-final-battle/ were actually accurate as to how we found them on the wreck. Well, while sorting through some video of her wreck (to aid in making an accurate 3D image of the wreck) I came across a portion that showed the forward turrets exact bearing. I pulled an image from said video of A turrets' bearing and have juxtaposed it with a plan of Exeter showing her maximum gun arcs. As you can see from the wreck image, the barrel (2 in the below image) of A turret almost touches the deck house (1 in below image) as it does in the painting. This actually tell us something interesting about the actions last moments (see below).

As for B turret, because the superstructure had collapsed down (to starboard) over the years underwater and was hence closer to B turrets barrel, the barrel was almsot touching the bridges' angled side just like A turret does with the deck house. But it was an 'optical illusion' of sorts because the superstructure had collapsed closer to the barrel over the years u/w, hence it gave the impression that B turrets barrels were basically at the same angle as A turret, when in actuality B turrets barrels would not be quite so acute as the painting shows. That is, the painting shows B Turret pointing to about 4.45 o'clock (if the bow was 12 o'clock), whereas in actuality it would be at about 4.30 o'clock. Splitting hairs I suppose.

Anyway, I know to most folks it is meangiless as to what angle the guns pointed when she sunk, but .................in actuality it tells us a lot about her last moments and whom of the four Jap cruisers (two off each beam) she considered the bigger threat - and more or less where they were - at the time (as all her main armament point off to starboard aft as it were).

So, just saying is all. :eyebrows: :wave_1:

Attachments:
A-tuuret-gun-angles-Exeter.jpg
A-tuuret-gun-angles-Exeter.jpg [ 83.13 KiB | Viewed 1285 times ]

Last edited by KevinD on Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 33  Next