The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hull painting
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:16 am 

Dear all

I am about to finish my Loyal Class fleet tender (Model Slipway's) and I am still struggling with the painting of the hull. I have read quite some times, that the red oxide part can be painted with car primer spray-cans.
Attachment:
LoyalClass.jpg
LoyalClass.jpg [ 169.51 KiB | Viewed 1088 times ]

I have used Motip's car primer, which provides beautiful satin color, however, I think it is a bit fragile on items sticking out on the hull (like the ribs on the side of my hull) and... this acryl primer clashes with other model paint such as Revell's satin paints. The upper structure and the black of the ship is painted in Revell. If ever I need to touch up on the red oxide, it makes the Revell crack.

Do you have any recommendation please for solid hull painting? (I also have an airbrush at my disposal). Would you recommend general satin lacquer? any particular brand/type of paints?

Second question: alongside the hull is a white line (waterline): I heard that fine white tape would come off eventually, especially if there are these ribs on the side of my hull. So paint them?

Thank you in advance for helping me with your advise, so I can finish this model and start the next!

Kind regards,

Herman

Post subject: Re: Hull painting
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:01 pm 

I have had good luck with Krylon Red/Ruddy Brown Primer. It is not acrylic based and has handled masking for boot stripes, upper hull paint, and camo patterns without any problems. I pretty much use it exclusively for hull red on all of my builds.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:24 am 

dhenning wrote:
I have had good luck with Krylon Red/Ruddy Brown Primer. It is not acrylic based and has handled masking for boot stripes, upper hull paint, and camo patterns without any problems. I pretty much use it exclusively for hull red on all of my builds.

Thanks for your reply. It does not seem to be available on the EU market, but maybe I can figure out something. So actually you paint your entire ship with these spray cans?

All the best,

Herman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:00 pm 

Just the hull to avoid any tape lines/paint thicknesses that have to be sanded down. I generally work in larger scales though-1/125, 1/144-but I did use it for the antifoul red on my 1/800 (actually 1/730ish) Arii USS Midway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:29 pm 

Hi Les here. I have been using Mission Models Anti Fouling Red #111. It's pretty much airbrush ready ou of the bottle