The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 59  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:38 am 

Hi guys! I just got the Trumpy Hood and gosh, it's a real beauty! :woo_hoo:

BUT! I'm skeptical about the colour being H307... Anyone got any recommendations as to what colour might be best? I can get Tamiya and MrColour paints where I come from... any suggestions would be much appreciated...

I'm leaning towards Tamiya XF-66 which I think someone on this forums recommended...

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:15 pm 

The Hood was painted in 307B which is an exact match for Tamyia FX 66

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:10 am 

Not sure about 307B.

I thought i was 507B for 1941?

http://hmshood.com/models/tips/HoodPaint.html#ap507b

:thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:36 am 

Hi, folks!
I don't know, if this has been mentioned before...
There is a German cottage maker, who supplies wood decks for the Trumpeter kit. Planck spacing is 0.75mm, individual planks on carrier. The wood is natural, unvarnshied. The maker recommends this item to the experienced modeller, as all plastic detail has to be taken off the original part and placed onto this replacement deck.
Staring bid is 89,99Euro = 115USD = 62lb
Immediate buy is 99,99Euro = 128USD = 68lb
Price exclude shipment charges.

I don't know the quality of that add on, so I won't comment. I am not connected to this retailer. I just wanted to let you know.
Look for it at evilbay. Search for "ECHTHOLZDECKS HMS HOOD".

Guido
(Other popular 1/350 replacement decks are avialble upon request)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:24 pm 

Whilst on the subject, Trumpeter's 'upgrade set' contains barrels with flared ends. Are the ends correct? I thought Hood's barrels were parallel to the 'business-end' - i.e. just straight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:18 am 

Hi, folks!
At the last visit to Shanghai, I brought a big batch of books on HMS Hood to Lion Roar. As far as I know, Lion Roar will issue an upgarde set containing:
- PE
- turret replacements
- gun barrels (at least main artillery; secondary, I can't tell)
- brass props
- embossed or cast ships batch (limited edition)
That was the latest status. I reckon it'll take another month or two before the set is out. From the range of items included it's gotta have a heavy price-tag.
Guido

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:17 pm 

The HMS Hood website has been updated - including new articles/reviews on the Trumpeter kit and aftermarket accessories.

http://hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/tru ... mpeter.htm

:woo_hoo:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:39 pm 

warshipbuilder wrote:
Whilst on the subject, Trumpeter's 'upgrade set' contains barrels with flared ends. Are the ends correct? I thought Hood's barrels were parallel to the 'business-end' - i.e. just straight.

Many large-bore British naval guns were slightly expanded at their muzzles. It's not really a "flare", as much as a slight thickening of the barrel walls near the muzzle. This is a topic I've previously been in heated debates over, but photographic proof of this does, indeed exist.

Many, many years ago, an article appeared somewhere advising modelers to sand-down all their British ships' "flared barrels" absolutely flush. It was a reaction to several models produced by the classic kitmaker Airfix, whose molds tended to over-emphasize the barrel tips (some, grossly so!). While there was merit to the issue, particularly with that company's Iron Duke, Warspite, and Repulse kits, it was based on the assumption that any tip expansion was erroneous.

For all practical purposes, it is best not to attempt the effect in very small scales; however, it can be done with reasonable authenticity, as long as care is taken not to exaggerate it, and that the actual ship being modeled possessed such barrels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:22 pm 
Notice the rings around the muzzle opening (tampions). This detail is completely absent from Trumpeters barrels. They may be brass, the shape is downright poor and would certainly not recommend buying the upgrade set. Steve Nutall's barrels were just perfect (after I convinced him to add the rings) but that is now unfortunately over.

Post subject: Review
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:17 pm 

My review of the Hood PE set and the Gold Pluss set from GMM is posted at http://www.ipmsusa2.org/Reviews/Details ... 0_hood.htm
Both are extremely nice set with loads of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:30 am 
Although it will make a nice addition, it seems to be less accurate than the WEM set. The davits and awning stations are a very nice touch. The crane is a welcome addition for those who want to back date the kit. Well, not those who want it but are willing to do it of course, it won't be too easy.

However, doors and hatches are all in the wrong style. Skylights are the wrong shape. I guess GMM chose to fit them to the ship, but the actual skylights were nearly all identical. The pompom details are a nice addition, even though by 1941 the pompoms didn't even have cross hairs (but WEM has this wrong as well). Start cutting away that lovely detail! The 4" detail parts seem to be almost as off as the WEM parts, but this is a very tricky area. I'm a bit dissappointed than GMM continues to use stairs without foldeable steps. For a 1:350 model, the difference is very noticeable, especially on the larger admiralty ladders. The degaussing cable is relief etched but the clamps holding the cable should be one layer above the cable itself. The Quad .50 look very nice, those parts should really help those small weapons look far better. They seem to be more accurate than for instance the 4" parts. The X-turret aircraft platform parts are - or so I hope - for the backdated version or so wrong that they are beyond recognition. Use at your own peril! Note than the WEM parts are only slightly less wrong.

So, nice set and surely a good addition to a Trumpeter model. But if accuracy is a concern, the WEM set is better and holds many more specific HMS Hood detail parts. The GMM boat davits do look rather tasty though...

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am 

Fine Scale Modler magazine has a workbench review of Trumpeter's Hood here -

http://www.finescale.com/fsm/default.aspx?c=a&id=2595

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:41 am 

Here you can see a finished Hood:
Modellversium

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:43 pm 

Another review here - This time from Modellingmadness,

http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/ ... tohood.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:38 pm 

I note that Lion Roar have released their Hood Detail kit. It looks very complete. Do any of our resident Hood experts have any comments to make about the overall accuracy of this set vs say WEM's effort?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:55 am 
I'm happy to see my custom etch set is still the best accuracy wise. Perhaps I should start selling it?

- The gun barrel ends of the main guns look rather crude and overscale. The new turrets actually look quite nice, far better than the originals. Still, the WEM turrets are going to be better. I don't say this only because I made them, they just are better around the rangefinder. (Perhaps Lion roar even used my old version? :big_grin: ). The WEM turrets are without blastbags. The blast bags look quite good on Lion Roars. Overall a very good addition to their set.

- It looks like they copied the 4" ammo hatches directly from Trumpeter. Almost correct, better than the styrene.

- The 4" barrels, detail and pompoms look way overscale. Also no interior detail for the 4" guns

- Pompoms looks quite nice. Too bad you have to cut off the aiming crosses, Hood carried an older style Pompom and didnt have them.

- The WEM set seems to have more RN style detail and looks more complete. It lacks the 4" ready to use ammo hatches. I think Lion Roar did get some inspiration from WEM by using parts for the starfishes etc. Anyway, looks like a very solid set. If SN or MW posts a few close-ups I can give a better judgement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:02 am 

Forth I have your turrets preordered with WEM, and idea on time when they will be available?

Also have the 4 and 8 barrelled pom-poms ordered, which I could be waiting some time for according to Caroline!

I already have their photo-etch set from Mad Pete which is fantastic.

I have the Trumpeter barrel/blast bag set set, I wished I'd ordered some from the late great Steve Nuttall as I knew this Hood kit was coming out for about 2 years! :mad_1:

and finally I have this Lion Roar Hood set ordered, it seems I'm going to have a lot of RN 1/350 goodies for the spares boxs at last :big_grin: but I'm sure your Hood will still be superior :censored_2:

Last edited by Laurence Batchelor on Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:12 am 
Quote:
Forth I have your turrets preorderd with WEM, and idea on time when they will be available?

Hmm, no! They lost a part I replaced a few weeks ago. Probably a few weeks waiting time! The etch set is loosely based on my design, with many additional WEM parts, most of them new. If I to decide to add a small etchning of my own, I have to throw out the parts WEM used. The etching of that set is much much finer than the WEM set and not for the average modeler. Not sure if I'll take the time to do a new set... Perhaps AFTER my model is finished?! :big_grin:

I had Steve do custom 15" and 4" barrels... excellent! I'm more or less working on the 4" guns. I spent more time on those guns than most people spend on an entire model. Wow! How stupid is that, right? But they'll be very nice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:25 am 
I'll send in a build-article of the 4" guns only to MW. There's more tricks per square mm than anywhere on the model... so far!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:32 am 
Part I. Lion Roar's set looks quite interesting overall. It has its problems (the very things that Evert-Jan pointed out...especially the directors. They look a bit wonky to me), but based on what can be seen in the few photos, it looks like it has promise as it has some detail items the others do not have.

Of course, the others each have details this one does not have (Its hard to tell for certain, but it also doesn't seem as thin/crisp as the work fone by WEM and GMM based on these small photos. If Lion Roar would like to send me one for review purposes (and WEM and GMM), I'd be happy to comment further. I would think they'd want a Hood person to do that anyways (hint hint hint).

Alas, so much for my attempt to get some free photoetch...

Anyway, until I could see all three, I'd have to sum things up by saying I suppose if one wants to make one's model perfect, they'll simply have to buy all the major PE and detail sets- each has a little something extra the other doesn't have.

Part II. One Thing NOT to detail

Speaking of detailing, I have noticed something in a few of the built kits I've seen. I wanted to point this out here so that those who have not yet built the kit will know what to do:

Don't add photoetch grilles to the structure immediately behind the second funnel! I've noticed that a few people have done this- they've added engine vent grilles/mesh to windows of the Motorboat Workshop.
This had canvas curtains hanging loosely within, not vent grilles.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the area in question, its the small structure immediately behind Hood's second funnel/smoke stack. There is small rectangle atop a larger rectangle. To port and starboard are single searchlight platforms. The larger rectangle was Hood's "Disinfector House" (anyone want to guess what they did in there?!) and the smaller rectangle with three large square openings in the rear is the aforementioned "Motorboat Workshop" (you guessed it- they worked on motorboat machinery there).

Anyway, don't add photoetch grilles to the three square openings.
While we're here, be sure to remove the ladder from the port/left rear side of the Disinfector House...its ladder was on the opposite side. Also, there should be no door on the port/left side of the Motorboat Workshop.

Sorry to be nitpicky on this one, but this is the first time a model manufacturer, even the resin ones, got this structure shaped correctly (prior to this everyone made it one large rectangular building). I want to help make sure people detail it correctly.

I must run now...gotta get back to my own Trumpeter dilemmas- getting the cursed deck pieces to fit in the overly flexible hull, getting the lower hull to seat and fit properly (its not quite long enough!!! Anyone else have this problem?) adding hawsepipes in the bow and of course, fixing that dreadful conning tower. They made the top row of viewing slits too tall. I'm trying to find a safe and easy way to narrow them a bit...but my modelling skills have declined through non usage for a few years!!!

Frank

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 59  Next