The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:51 pm 

Something else to consider about USS ENTERPRISE in the Spring of 1941. USS ENTERPRISE was selected to be evaluated in the Pacific Fleet Camo Experiments (Experiment K, held in May-June 1941), with another ship's profile painted on her side. Many people have tried in vain to find photos of that scheme. There are brief descriptions of it, but that is all. Apparently, Experiment K wasn't left on for long, because July observations of ENTERPRISE state she was painted in Ms 1.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:17 pm 

Isn’t there even a June color shot of her in MS-1? I thought I remember seeing one.

Found it.

Last edited by Jeff Sharp on Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:11 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Jeff Sharp wrote:
It would be very interesting but highly unlikely that the Navy would repaint an entire Aircraft Carrier back into Standard Navy Gray just for the filming after she was painted into MS-1 camo.

Agreed, and I may be confusing the painting of the AIRCRAFT for the movie with the SHIP.

Actually they repainted the aircraft in spite of the movie, one of the issues of special consideration the Navy gave the production was to not paint several of each type aircraft so the movie would have continuity with parts already filmed... They also allowed the production the use of a brand new SBD to travel with the movie premier's to use as a recruiting prop....

The Navy bent over backwards to accommodate the production despite the heavy preparations for war they were undergoing.....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:17 am 

Another bit of confusing information about the enterprise and the movie "Dive Bomber....

From History.Navy.Mil, https://www.history.navy.mil/research/h ... 6-vii.html we get this.....

Quote:
The weathered ship returned to sea from North Island during a voyage to Pearl Harbor (25 June–2 July 1940). Enterprise anchored at Lāhainā Roads at Maui, T.H., on 9 July, and on 13 July at Honolulu, where she embarked people from Warner Bros. and took part in the motion picture Dive Bomber, starring Errol Flynn, Fred MacMurray, Ralph Bellamy, Alexis Smith, and Regis Toomey, released in August 1941. Enterprise steamed at sea for two days of filming (16–17 July), and her crew enthusiastically supported the effort, her deck log noting wryly on the second day: “Making movies, no absentees.” Two clips show a plane landing on and taking off from the ship, a rarity in motion pictures at the time, and a number of her crewmen who took part in the filming of Dive Bomber served in her during World War II. The ship disembarked her passengers at Honolulu on 19 July, and on 26 July moored at Pearl Harbor. Film crews subsequently shot additional footage at NAS San Diego.

The NNHC (history.navy.mil) is DANF's official maintainer...... and what is quoted above comes from their CV-6 page.....

According to the Navy's history branch, DANF's, the film was shot aboard the Enterprise in July of '40, out of Pearl and not in April '41 out of San Diego.... It's pretty much accepted that she was painted in Ms. 1 by the end of May '41 at least..... The final shooting out of Pearl taking place on July 19th, and the ship was moored in Pearl on the 26th... Then it claims afterwards they shot even more out of San Diego Which would have had to have been in August 1940....

Ah, the movie was released August 12th 1941 in San Diego and August 30th Nationwide (according to IMDB) Someone might want to inform the Navy's historical branch they've got it wrong maybe? It was of course filmed in California with background shots filmed at Elgin Field Fla. being the only remote filming done.... (according to IMDB)

IMDB clearly shows the production dates for the movie as March 1941 - May 1941

We as researchers have to be careful, here is an example of History Navy Mil maintaining DANF's being possibly wrong or the IMDB being wrong as well...

More research is needed, particularly the logs of the Big "E" which would tell us clearly and without a doubt as to when she was under orders to make herself available for filming....

Anyway either time period will definitely rule out 5-D on the Mainmast collar support beam....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:46 am 

Screenshots from Dive Bomber (1941) Official Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPrW5Lq5K80 Planes are shown in both prewar colorful and new light grey scheme.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:37 pm 

Here are a couple of article about how resistant the Navy was to allowing access for the film. The film crew was only allowed three days on Enterprise and it wasn't a very welcoming three days. Jack Warner had to go all the way up to Frank Knox to get even that much time on the ship so I highly doubt the Navy painted either the entire ship or the flight deck specifically for the film.

http://www.aycyas.com/divebomber.htm

Last edited by Jeff Sharp on Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:29 pm 

Jeff, can I get the source of your text block?

I'm pretty sure the filming was done in April 1941, Not saying IMDB isn't wrong, I've corrected enough of their entries to look at each one with a jaundiced eye.. (I'm an IMDB editor)

But I like sources.....

Thanks...

UPDATE:

Well so much for reading carefully and paying attention, I just found your link in your posting of the text block.....
Belated thank you.....

EG

Last edited by Egilman on Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:22 am 

From https://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/ship-histories/danfs/e/enterprise-cv-6-vii.html:
Quote from the link above:
"...Stark’s missive noted that Enterprise was to be assigned a restricted availability for an interim overhaul, to begin on 3 March (1941) and to have her ready again for sea by the end of the month. Enterprise consequently crossed the eastern Pacific (23 February–3 March) and through the end of the month moored at Bremerton and completed the work, which included degaussing and splinter protection.
The warship then (31 March–3 April) made for North Island... The carrier repeatedly cast off her mooring lines and worked up during voyages between San Diego and Pearl Harbor (21–27 April, 29 April–4 May, and 8–13 May)..."

Could she be painted in Ms. 1 during March overhaul?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:12 am 
66misos wrote:
Could she be painted in Ms. 1 during March overhaul?

Could she have been painted in Ms.1 during her March '41 availability and still appeared in a movie in April of '41 in Standard Navy Grey?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:32 pm 

From the same article:
"...Enterprise anchored at Lāhainā Roads at Maui, T.H., on 9 July, and on 13 July (1940) at Honolulu, where she embarked people from Warner Bros. and took part in the motion picture Dive Bomber... Enterprise steamed at sea for two days of filming (16–17 July), and her crew enthusiastically supported the effort, her deck log noting wryly on the second day: “Making movies, no absentees.” Two clips show a plane landing on and taking off from the ship, a rarity in motion pictures at the time, and a number of her crewmen who took part in the filming of Dive Bomber served in her during World War II. The ship disembarked her passengers at Honolulu on 19 July, and on 26 July moored at Pearl Harbor. Film crews subsequently shot additional footage at NAS San Diego..."

When was filming at NAS San Diego? Seems all that happened several months before overhaul on March 1941.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:19 pm 

66misos wrote:
When was filming at NAS San Diego? Seems all that happened several months before overhaul on March 1941.

I don't know, what we have uncovered is that there are two official repositories that are saying inopposite things, things where one or the other HAS to be wrong....

The only way to know for sure is the ships deck logs, they would tell the tale without any questions whatsoever....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:29 pm 

Well here's another link to a claim for where the movie was filmed....

The San Diego History Center....

Quote:
From the aviation pioneers at North Island to modern-day exploits of pilots at Miramar, the story of pilots both in the air and on the ground have been captured in Top Gun as well as Dive Bomber, Devil Dogs of the Air, Test Pilot, and Hell Divers. Aimed at filling theaters and increasing recruitment, San Diego’s aviation films have both entertained viewers and provided fodder for debating the use of aviation in our armed forces.

Here is the link....

https://sandiegohistory.org/military-htm/

One more credible source voting for San Diego and by relation, April 1941....

And another.... (San Diego Air & Space Museum)

https://sandiegoairandspace.org/exhibit ... -go-to-war

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:12 pm 

This document was recently posted on Facebook, to the "Warship Camouflage Research Group". The document was written by Jeff Herne, based of research done by him, Ron Smith, Tracy White and others. Copyright belongs to the author, I'm posting it here for discussion purposes only.

If you want to discuss, as we've mentioned before, please do so civilly. No rants or name calling please. Any rude or uncivil posts will be

<documents removed>

Crop and enlargement of the bottom of page 5

<document removed>

Timeline diagram <removed>

This picture of Arizona was also posted to the same FB page. The author's assertion is that this shows Arizona in the process of repainting from 5D to 5S, partially based on the fact that the superstructure is noticeably darker than the hull and turrets.
Attachment:
Arizona Oct 13 1941.jpg

I neither support or dispute the author's conclusions. Again, I'm posting it here for discussion purposes only.

UPDATE 8/4/21: I was requested by the copyright owner to remove the documents, as it's only intended for the aforementioned Warship Camouflage FB page. The Arizona photo is in the public domain, and posted again below by Rick, so I'm leaving that. For anyone who hasn't seen the documents, you'll have to look for them on FB. Sorry!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:29 am 

Now that I have had a chance to read through this, I'm going to state facts that most individuals whether "Blue Crew" or "Gray Crew" don't seem to understand.

First as someone who 50 years ago use to develop my own B&W film and made B&W prints in a darkroom, I know how variable the same image CAN easily be made to appear in shade either with different paper types or simple with the enlarger. Most grayscale images people use to make arguments about "color" are scanned from prints of unknown origin and how much adjustment in the darkroom or during scanning may have been used to produce that image. Plus, several types of film were used during the 1940's, with one type of film showing some colors vastly differently than another type of film. Even at NARA, the B&W photos made from the same negative/or copy negative made by photographing the print when found in different places will exhibit different shades in grayscale. Also, lighting conditions angle of the sun hitting surfaces all impact the look of a photo.

To keep this short, NO ONE CAN DETERMINE COLORS IN A B&W IMAGE without some other info that in 99%+ images is UNKNOWN. Also, after going through many original color transparencies at NARA and scanning quite a few of them, it is even doubtful that color images can be trusted to represent what can be called "true colors" that the human eye would see when the photo was taken. Film processing, age of the transparency, film type used, and camera settings and filters used impact the transparency "quality" and tone.

How then, about the 13 October 1941 image of USS ARIZONA (a fuller image shows USS NEVADA is tied up aft of ARIZONA) presented above as evidence that she had started to be painted with 5-S by that date. Bare with me since a lot of these images have been posted here before and look at these images as a group and note how the appearance of ships in overlapping images appear.

Here is an image of USS NEVADA and USS OKLAHOMA in a photo dated 3 November 1941. You can clearly see their painted Ms 5 false bows. Most people would agree that they appear to be painted in Ms 1 colors of 5-D and 5-L.

Here is an image of USS ARIZONA taken on 1 November 1941, while in drydock. Doesn't this image look like the above?

During the second half of 1941, the USN took several aerial surveys of the Pearl Harbor anchorage and Navy Yard. An interesting series of photos with generally clear views, but by necessity distant views, were taken on 13 October 1941. One image out of these 13 October 1941 photos is declared in this article as proof that USS ARIZONA had already started to be painted with 5-S. I doubt that, the documentation and correspondence going on at the timeframe says that 5-S paint wasn't available at PHNY. The Battle Fleet was really dragging their feet about using 5-S. From their experiences with the Camouflage Evaluations that took place from June through September 1941, the consolidated report was dated 13 September 1941, and from experiments even earlier in the late 1930's, that even just looking at samples of 5-S, they knew it would be too light for detection from the air. The Evaluation Conclusions said that a color a "little" lighter than 5-D was best.

Here are three of the overall views taken on 13 October 1941, that I scanned at NARA from 80-G collection. (I have had to reduce the file size of these images for posting)

Note that in the second image you can see USS ARIZONA (left) and USS NEVADA (right) with other ships in the background. Note how small these ship images are in the total photo. A crop of this image, fourth image below, is used as evidence that USS ARIZONA has been partially repainted with 5-S. In the third image you can see that USS NEVADA is seen just in the frame, only this time she appears darker. Also, below are cropped views I scanned of the same photo, but a different print found in a different photo collection at NARA. The lighter shade appearance of USS ARIZONA and USS NEVADA is more likely due to the known properties of 5-D to fade and due to salt deposits from being at sea for multiple exercises.

Now then, the GRAY CREW have used other images as proof that ALL of the battleships on 7 December 1941 were painted in only 5-D and 5-L. They have similar faults as evidence.

The textual records show that as PacFlt command dragged their feet about adopting the new camo paints (on 8 September 1941, the PacFlt Command called for evaluations on destroyers of DesDiv 9 of the new camouflage schemes plus an experimental paint prior to selecting a scheme to adopt), but BuShips basically had cut-off the supply chain of 5-D paint and the supplies were running low at PHNY. Some ships, cruisers and destroyers, started to paint in 5-S prior to the attack and which can be detected in photos and documentation, based on their relatively lighter appearance in the presence of 5-D painted ships. 5-D paint was being taken off destroyers so that the battleships could still paint/touchup with 5-D. With the 27 November 1941 notification that war could happen anytime, the PacFlt started to get ready to "potentially" move the fleet to protect the US Forces in the Philippines. I can readily believe that the next week prior to the attack saw meetings for that possibility, including one topic about camouflage paint (ships need a good paint job before going to war), that VERBAL approvals to paint the battle fleet "could have" been made (a very LOW PRIORITY DECISION that could be made and directed in minutes). With a written directive to follow. I'm not sure if those directions weren't to skip 5-S and go to 5-N or use both as stocks were available. On 21 November 1941, it was directed (via speed-o-gram) that a destroyer, selected to be USS FLUSSER (painted with 5-S in September 1941 during an overhaul on the West Coast, and a logical choice since USS PORTER had returned from her overhaul painted with 5-S, they didn't need two ships painted with 5-S for the evaluation and painting FLUSSER with 5-N over 5-S would save time and paint), was directed to be painted with 5-N to allow for evaluation of the paint for scheme Ms 11 (rev with 5-N). Is there textual proof that the battle fleet was directed to repaint with Ms 11 the week prior to the attack, none has surfaced. But, the fact that a directive for PacFlt ships to paint in Ms 11 (5-N) was IN coordination at the time of the attack and issued on 16 December 1941, points to the decision had been made already. There are at least three different versions of the PACIFIC FLEET CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE NO. 21CN-41, that directed that the Pacific Fleet be painted in Ms 11 (with 5-N). One version is a double spaced draft with changes penciled in, one is in the final format but with changes noted, and then the final version issued to the fleet. ALL are dated 16 December 1941. The draft version had to logically have been written prior to 16 December. My guess based on the need to such a directive to be coordinated with multiple parties involved, that the decision was made prior to the attack.

USS FLUSSER was at Pearl Harbor from 26 November to 5 December 1941. Plenty of time to have her painted and for high level individuals, a certain Adm, to look at her and approve 5-N as the color for the Pacific Fleet. In my research of destroyers in BuShips files, many decisions were made verbally at meetings to speed the process and relayed even by phone before the official paperwork was written.

Which battleships, if any actually started the repainting process, I can't say. Some photos point to "lighter" paint used on parts of USS ARIZONA's wreck. But, proof that it is 5-D, 5-S, or 5-N, as I say ISN'T possible from grayscale images.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:46 pm 

I think I made some of my thoughts about this article clear over on the SN site but I have so many more.
First, if you are going to write an article like this and come to very specific conclusions about each battleship’s paint scheme at the time of the attack then you better present some very strong evidence to support those claims. There is zero evidence presented for any of the battleships.
For example, I would love to see how he came to the conclusion that Maryland was wearing 1937 colors. She was painted at Puget Sound in July ‘41.
Or what about Oklahoma in MS-12? Where is the evidence for that? I can go on and on but I think you get my point!

Post subject: Re: At 'Em Arizona Fans!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:20 am 

Here's another pic dated 10-13-41.....
Attachment:
221706481_10223509863408668_558353224346810322_n.jpg

5S hull & turrets, 5D superstructure, 5L tops.... like she is right in the middle of repainting into Ms 11....

MODERATOR EDIT: This post and the next two moved here from the CASF Arizona Fans thread.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:07 pm 

Not likely USS ARIZONA and USS NEVADA, which was just to the right of her in the overall view looking similar, has any 5-S at this date. More likely she is showing well worn, faded, and sea salt stained 5-D from being at sea for multiple exercises.

The biggest reason that these two aren't painted with 5-S, is that the second round of camouflage evaluations with the "new" paints, including 5-S was just starting. The only 5-S paint available was at MINY, PacFlt Command directed that DesDiv 9 be painted in the new schemes using the new paints plus an experiment Sapphire Blue paint developed by NRL. Those destroyers were on the West Coast getting overhauls and were finishing up and getting painted in early October 1941. The actual first aerial evaluations took place in mid-October 1941. Expecting that PacFlt would paint a whole battleship with 5-S for evaluation before evaluation of the destroyers of DesDiv 9, is a stretch.

As someone who 50 years ago use to develop my own B&W film and made B&W prints in a darkroom, I know how variable the same image CAN easily be made to appear in darkness shade. Most images people use are of unknown origin and how much adjustment in the darkroom or during scanning may have been used to produce that image. Plus, several types of film were used during the 1940's, with one type of film will show some colors vastly differently than another type of film. Even at NARA, the B&W photos made from the same negative/or copy of a print when found in different places will exhibit different shades in grayscale.

To keep this short, NO ONE CAN DETERMINE COLORS IN A B&W IMAGE without some other info that in 99%+ images is UNKNOWN.

If you have an image of a ship KNOWN to be painted in one type of paint and have other ships with different shades in grayscale, some judgements can be made.

Now then, the USN during the second half of 1941, took several aerial surveys of the anchorage and yard at Pearl Harbor. An interesting series with generally clear views, but by necessity distant views, were taken on 13 October 1941. When I saw that one of the 13 October 1941 photos was declared as proof that USS ARIZONA had already started to be painted with 5-S. I really doubt that for the reasons above.

To let everyone judge for themselves, here are three of the overall views taken on 13 October 1941, that I scanned at NARA from 80-G collection. (I have had to reduce the file size of these images for posting) You can see many ships, most of which are painted in Ms 1, some with Ms 5 false bow waves.

Note that in the second image you can see USS ARIZONA (left) and USS NEVADA (right) with other ships in the background. Note how small these ship images are in the total photo. Also, note that there is a variation in the "lightness" of this image, with the overall image getting darker going from left to right. A crop of the first image is below, was used as evidence that USS ARIZONA has been partially repainted with 5-S. In the second image of the same scene but from a different print found in another collection at NARA, there are some differences including the sharpness of the second image is better. In the third image you can see that USS NEVADA is seen just in the frame, only this time she appears darker than in the previous photo.

For further context, here are some images taken a couple of weeks after the above images of the battleships in the image above. First is an image of USS ARIZONA dated 8 November 1941, in drydock getting repairs from her collision with USS OKLAHOMA. Next photo is dated 3 November 1941, showing USS NEVADA and USS OKLAHOMA moored off Ford Island. I hope all these images show that there was wide variation in photos developed from negative film and processed in darkrooms.

USS NEVADA and USS OKLAHOMA in a photo dated 3 November 1941. You can clearly see their painted Ms 5 false bows.

Now then, the GRAY CREW have used other images as proof that ALL of the battleships on 7 December 1941 were painted in only 5-D and 5-L. They have similar faults as evidence. The textual records show that as PacFlt command dragged their feet about adopting the new camo paints (they called for evaluations on destroyers prior to selecting a scheme to adopt), first 5-S then 5-N (the command didn't like 5-S because it was too light, but did think 5-N was about right), BuShips basically had cut-off the supply chain of 5-D paint and the supplies were running low at PHNY. Some ships, cruisers and destroyers, started to paint in 5-S prior to the attack and can be detected in photos, based on their relatively lighter appearance in the presence of 5-D painted ships. With the 27 November 1941 notification that war could happen anytime soon, the PacFlt was getting ready to "potentially" move the fleet to protect the US Forces in the Philippines. I can readily believe that the next week prior to the attack saw meetings and VERBAL approvals to do things like paint the battle fleet (a very LOW PRIORITY DECISION that could be made and directed in minutes). I'm not sure if those directions weren't to skip 5-S and go to 5-N. In mid-November 1941, the destroyer USS FLUSSER, painted with 5-S in September-October 1941 during an overhaul on the West Coast, was directed (via speed-o-gram) on 21 November 1941 to be repainted with 5-N to allow for evaluation of the paint for scheme Ms 11 (rev with 5-N). She was on exercises until returning to PH on 26 November and departed on 5 December 1941 with the USS LEXINGTON Task Force. Is there textual proof that the battle fleet was directed to repaint with Ms 11 the week prior to the attack, none has surfaced. But, the fact that a directive for PacFlt ships to paint in Ms 11 (5-N) was IN coordination LIKELY at the time of the attack and issued on 16 December 1941, points to the decision had been made already. Which battleships, if any actually started the repainting process, I can't say. Some photos point to "lighter" paint used on parts of USS ARIZONA's wreck. But, proof that it is 5-D, 5-S, or 5-N, as I say ISN'T possible from grayscale images.

A rare color photo of USS CLARK (DD-361) painted in Ms 1 in mid-October 1941, showing what worn 5-D looks like. One of the major issues with the 5-D paint was that it wore away, faded, and chalked.

B&W photo grayscale images showing that Ms 1 (5-D paint) can look pretty "light" in photos when processed that way.

(Note on the USS CLARK photo. Clark was in overhaul from October to December 1941. She departed for Pearl Harbor on 27 December 1941. She joined the carrier raids on New Guinea in February-March 1942. So likely this photo was taken during those raids. It is possible that she was painted with 5-N before she left the west coast on 27 December 1941. Also, note the destroyer in the background painted in a graded camo scheme. She is likely USS MAHAN or possibly USS LAMSON.)

Last edited by Rick E Davis on Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:11 pm 

Anyone who has done a lot of painting would not start on the hull first.
To me it looks like fresh 5-D on the superstructure & very faded & chalked 5-D on the hull.
Since no one can tell colors from B&W photos this needs to stop, please!
Thanks!
John

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:10 pm 

A couple of comments.

Jeff Sharp wrote:
Or what about Oklahoma in MS-12? Where is the evidence for that?

This is not me going all in but devil's advocate. Why are the turrets and the armored conning tower in this photo so light?

Attachment:
NASPH #119148.jpg

There is an awful lot of bad black and white photo interpretation out there. It's one of the reasons I've decided to stick with archival research and feeling comfortable with "we don't know for sure" over "I know what was!"

Rick E Davis wrote:
See this link on why B&W images aren't going to determine color by themselves and showing the context of this cropped view ... https://members.boardhost.com/Warship/m ... 34303.html ....

Rick, that post isn't going to last long and will scroll off in a month's time - worth it to bring it here methinks.

Rick E Davis wrote:
B&W photo grayscale images showing that Ms 1 (5-D paint) can look pretty "light" in photos when processed that way.

Are you sure this is Davis painting in to Measure 1 as opposed to out of it? I note that the mast top and director look like they're in 5-L and some of the dark paint looks kinda faded.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:26 am 

Tracy,

Yes I know, but I was sort of in a hurry when I was writing that post and rather than spend a lot of time moving it, which isn't as simple as cut and paste with all the image links, I would do it this way. I hope to get to moving the contents to Modelwarships next week.

As for the USS DAVIS image, when I first scanned it, I wondered about which way the painting was going as well. USS DAVIS was one of the USN formula Mountbatten Pink painted destroyers. But, her repainting for that transition was done at ChNY ... by the yard. This image shows the crew doing the painting, the background pointed to San Diego Destroyer Base. When the Ms 1 was applied, a lot of ships had the crew do the job. The different shades of color point to some of the problems experienced with NOT doing proper prep work. It looks like they are applying 5-D (probably the early tinting of the peacetime gray paint) directing over the #5 paint and are having bleed through. As you can see they are painting sections at a time and that the darkest areas are the ones they are working on. For Area #1 as marked on this image, there are three "darknesses" as they progressed from stern towards the bow. (Plus the stern itself looks to have been painted add paint is darker there) Area #2 has two darkness areas and Area #3 looks like they started at the bow and are working there way aft. If you look close, the crewmen are painting from top to bottom. It makes no sense to paint from bottom to top with a light paint over dark paint.

DANFS has USS DAVIS serving on the West Coast from 11 March 1940 to 26 April 1941. She then transferred to the Caribbean. I can be wrong, but don't think so based on the background, that DAVIS is likely at anchor at San Diego. If she isn't at San Diego, then it would be one of the Canal Zone bases.

Plus, there is a photo of USS WARRINGTON (DD-383), at least that is the ID on the 80-G card caption, at the same location. It isn't another photo of USS DAVIS, the WARRINGTON photo shows no quad 1.1-in mount on the aft tower, DAVIS has both quad 1.1-in mounts. Plus the number of port holes is different.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next