The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
Posts: 460
Location: Northern California
baseballbrat wrote:
bucketfoot-al wrote:
Hey everyone - I may be a little late to the party on this - but have any of you seen this GIGANTIC 1/72 plastic model of Yamato's #1 turret that just came out from a Chinese outfit named "Takom"? It can be had for as little as $82 (shipping by the 'slow boat'), or $135- $179 range for faster shipping. Metal photoetch included (!)

Here is a link to a review of this kit. It frankly looks AMAZING - its 2 freaking FEET long when finished :jump_1:

http://www.amps-armor.org/SiteReviews/S ... x?id=14675


Here you go Vlad!

https://youtu.be/nMMWrrUfmF0

Get it here!

Best place in town to get yours at a good price and excellent service. Web store is in Portland. For me I get things in 4 days max.

https://andyshhq.com/collections/brand- ... ain-turret


Thank you for that link - I will refer to it when I start doing the build. My kit has been on the "slow boat from China" for over a month now, I wish I had known about these guys, I would have given them the business. I already got the aftermarket wood deck and solid brass barrels. :thumbs_up_1:

_________________
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
http://www.battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 pm
Posts: 283
Your Welcome!

While I have you, Have you seen these?

I bought the three 1:200 Fujimi structure kits and waiting to get the PE for them. I bought the tower section, but without the PE set that was included which is sold out. The PE for the other two is a separate purchase of about $120USD. The three kits that make structure was about $190USD which included FedEx Priority shipment. I bought mine from Plaza Japan in Osaka. I think you may be able to get these from Hobby Link Japan for about the same price, but shipping may be a little more.

Want to see the build videos watch all the parts of this: https://youtu.be/WTuuyHKO2sI

http://www.scalemates.com/kits/fujimi-0 ... s--1227267

http://www.scalemates.com/kits/fujimi-0 ... e--1208533

http://www.scalemates.com/kits/fujimi-0 ... e--1165709

http://www.scalemates.com/kits/fujimi-0 ... t--1154899


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
Posts: 460
Location: Northern California
baseballbrat wrote:
Your Welcome!

While I have you, Have you seen these?

I bought the three 1:200 Fujimi structure kits and waiting to get the PE for them. I bought the tower section, but without the PE set that was included which is sold out. The PE for the other two is a separate purchase of about $120USD. The three kits that make structure was about $190USD which included FedEx Priority shipment. I bought mine from Plaza Japan in Osaka. I think you may be able to get these from Hobby Link Japan for about the same price, but shipping may be a little more.

Want to see the build videos watch all the parts of this: https://youtu.be/WTuuyHKO2sI

http://www.scalemates.com/kits/fujimi-0 ... s--1227267

http://www.scalemates.com/kits/fujimi-0 ... e--1208533

http://www.scalemates.com/kits/fujimi-0 ... e--1165709

http://www.scalemates.com/kits/fujimi-0 ... t--1154899


Yes, I've known about them for years - but after building my 1/200 super-custom Nichimo a decade and a half ago, more 1/200 builds do not interest me. I still have my 1/144 Yamato to work on if I decide to work on more Yamato modeling stuff. Maybe this turret will whet my appetite for that large project - if I can get the Nimitz Museum interested in displaying the completed ship.

Anyhow, that's just a pipe dream at the moment. But that would motivate me to complete it. First I have to move back to TX later this year. If the 1/144 Yam. makes it in one piece, then we'll see ... too many projects, too much work, and too much life ... :wink:

_________________
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
http://www.battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:16 am 
baseballbrat wrote:
Guest wrote:
Hi all,

I know this must have been asked a lot of times, but I was just not able to go through 150+ pages - so here's my question:
Is there any good reference for late Yamato's rigging? I have here 'Anatomy of the ship' about Yamato and Musashi which is fantastic except for rigging.
I also find it a bit odd that Tamiya ignores this almost completely.
kind regards
ingo


You have asked a question that to this day is still a mystery on this forum. Member "KATANA" started an ongoing post sometime back using the KURE 1/10 scale model photos and went through most of the ships rigging, but all the sudden it stopped. I don't know what happened, but I messaged him, but no answer. I'll have to go through his posts again and see what was left out.

I have about 25+ reference books just on Yamato and still don't have a map of what goes where. Katana broke it up into sections to make it easier along with photos to back it up. This is something that Tamaya should have included in their premium kit, but didn't.

Here is the link to Katana's posts. Start at Chapter 1 : viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4707&start=2780


Thanks to you and @bucketfoot.
What about the "3D" book by Cestra? I remember it helped a lot when I did the rigging on 'Dreadnought' a few years ago.
And while I am at it:
I like to build Yamato sometime before Ten-Ichi-Go, i. e. with stern antenna mast and 'Pete' aircraft - should I leave off the Chrysanthemum (spelling?) decal for the funnel? And I am not sure about the wooden deck - blackened or not....or something in between?
I appreciate any facts, opinions, etc.
Ingo


Top
  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 pm
Posts: 283
"What about the "3D" book by Cestra? I remember it helped a lot when I did the rigging on 'Dreadnought' a few years ago.
And while I am at it:
I like to build Yamato sometime before Ten-Ichi-Go, i. e. with stern antenna mast and 'Pete' aircraft - should I leave off the Chrysanthemum (spelling?) decal for the funnel? And I am not sure about the wooden deck - blackened or not....or something in between?
I appreciate any facts, opinions, etc."

There is a book you can get on the 1/10 Yamato display that may be of some help (https://www.ebay.com/itm/IJN-BATTLESHIP ... SwbPVc-wb3).

Also if you search the internet for "IJN大和戦艦1/10廣場" (IJN Yamato Battleship Hiroba) and play around and click various links, something will come up that might help.

If you plan to built a pre Ten-Ichi-Go, the Black Soot deck color didn't exist yet. The crew rubbed the soot from their burnt coal onto the Hikoki deck to mask the ship before the mission off the coast Okinawa which they never made due to they were hunted down by the US Navy and torpedo bombed and sunk. The ship was stripped on unnecessary gear to make the ship into a coastal gun placement to defend the island from being taken by the enemy. The ship was supposed to be beached and turned into a coastal battery. Also when you look at the 1/10 Yamato at the museum, you will find it pre-Ten Ichi Go configuration because Japan wants this to show the bravery of the Yamato crew sacrificing their lives to defend their nation to the people of Japan. The whole museum was meant to be a memorial where the younger people could understand what happened and showing it in Ten Go configuration would be very disrespectful to the families of the crew and the country. This ship was a source of pride for the country, that's why they called it Yamato.

Chrysanthemum Crest on the funnel was added for Ten Ichi Go, for what reason I don't recall. I'll have to research this more.

Just for some additional information, Not many survived the sinking, so it was up to the few to recall what exactly happened and how the ship looked when it went down. All the plans of this ship for the most part were burned due to it was Top Secret, so a lot of the engineering done on the ship is not known. All these survived sailors must be dead by now so now it's a guessing game to find out the rest.

Your rigging project will be a challenge due to lack of accurate information available. All the modelers are just copying what they see in photos to come up what they think is most accurate. IMO when I build mine, I want it to be as accurate as possible.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:14 am 
Thanks, @baseballbrat - I will try the links. I am right now in the process of learning a bit more background by reading 'A Glorious Way to Die'.
Skulsky & Draminski (Anatomy of the Ship) state that Yamato only ever had Mitsubishi F1M (Pete) aircraft aboard, never E13A1 (Jake). Is there anything to be said about that? In order to be prepared I ordered an extra aircraft sprue and decal sheet from Tamiya Germany, so I can put four Petes on the flight deck/catapults.


Top
  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 pm
Posts: 283
Guest wrote:
Thanks, @baseballbrat - I will try the links. I am right now in the process of learning a bit more background by reading 'A Glorious Way to Die'.
Skulsky & Draminski (Anatomy of the Ship) state that Yamato only ever had Mitsubishi F1M (Pete) aircraft aboard, never E13A1 (Jake). Is there anything to be said about that? In order to be prepared I ordered an extra aircraft sprue and decal sheet from Tamiya Germany, so I can put four Petes on the flight deck/catapults.


May I suggest, you research this until you have a better idea on how to proceed. You haven't mentioned what era you want to build, just saying not Ichi-Ten-Go. The ship went through many changes (retrofits) during the years she was at sea. Also you didn't mentioned which kit you have or what scale. Scale is important because which ever scale used is going to determine what after market is available. Some scales don't have specific PE or Resin. Also if you are depicting a specific era, you have to determine what you need to add and which you need to omit. Remember if you have all your ducks in order, assembly will go faster and easier, but if not decided yet, you may be putting parts on that don't belong and cause confusion. Find whatever you can online and books. The more information the better. Don't be too concerned about rigging right now because that goes on last. Don't attempt to rig until complete or it's going to make things much more difficult to build. Look over Skulsky's books (both older and newer ones as much as you can. That's the bible for Yamato/Mushashi.

Good luck!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:00 pm 
baseballbrat wrote:
Guest wrote:
Thanks, @baseballbrat - I will try the links. I am right now in the process of learning a bit more background by reading 'A Glorious Way to Die'.
Skulsky & Draminski (Anatomy of the Ship) state that Yamato only ever had Mitsubishi F1M (Pete) aircraft aboard, never E13A1 (Jake). Is there anything to be said about that? In order to be prepared I ordered an extra aircraft sprue and decal sheet from Tamiya Germany, so I can put four Petes on the flight deck/catapults.


May I suggest, you research this until you have a better idea on how to proceed. You haven't mentioned what era you want to build, just saying not Ichi-Ten-Go. The ship went through many changes (retrofits) during the years she was at sea. Also you didn't mentioned which kit you have or what scale. Scale is important because which ever scale used is going to determine what after market is available. Some scales don't have specific PE or Resin. Also if you are depicting a specific era, you have to determine what you need to add and which you need to omit. Remember if you have all your ducks in order, assembly will go faster and easier, but if not decided yet, you may be putting parts on that don't belong and cause confusion. Find whatever you can online and books. The more information the better. Don't be too concerned about rigging right now because that goes on last. Don't attempt to rig until complete or it's going to make things much more difficult to build. Look over Skulsky's books (both older and newer ones as much as you can. That's the bible for Yamato/Mushashi.

Good luck!


Hi,

right - I just asked about a rigging plan because this information was missing. I am pretty clear about the rest.
I have here Tamiya's 1/350 scale kit 78025 with wooden deck, degaussing cable, metal gun barrels, eduard PE for misc. detail and railings.
So it's going to be Yamato in 1945, just prior to early April, hence with antenna mast and aircraft.
Ingo


Top
  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 pm
Posts: 283
Guest wrote:
Thanks, @baseballbrat - I will try the links. I am right now in the process of learning a bit more background by reading 'A Glorious Way to Die'.
Skulsky & Draminski (Anatomy of the Ship) state that Yamato only ever had Mitsubishi F1M (Pete) aircraft aboard, never E13A1 (Jake). Is there anything to be said about that? In order to be prepared I ordered an extra aircraft sprue and decal sheet from Tamiya Germany, so I can put four Petes on the flight deck/catapults.


I don't recall ever seeing 4 seaplanes on deck at the same time, probably due to lack of working space and these are observation aircraft not torpedo bombers. IMO you need proper space on the launch platform to sit newly recovered aircraft and having the deck full of planes doesn't really make sense. If the designer of this boat thought it needed four aircraft out at one time they would have put four catapults in back, but this is a battleship not an aircraft carrier. Thats why they put a hanger under the deck. I don't recall ever seeing planes out on deck, but I could be wrong.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 pm
Posts: 283
After doing some research I have found an answer to our poster "Guest" had mentioned in an above comment.

The logo which depicts the Chrysanthemum Crest setting in the sea was painted on the funnel of Yamato prior to Ichi-Ten-Go was from the Kusunoki Masashige Crest. A Japanese samurai of the Kamakura period remembered as the ideal of samurai loyalty, this was used as his family crest. Since Yamato's last mission was called a "suicide" mission by many historians, it only makes sense that this symbol was added to the ship as a symbol of pride. Stripped down to bare bones, this gesture of painting this Kusunoki Masashige Flag on the funnel suits this fatal last mission.

Google : Kusunoki Masashige Crest


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
Posts: 460
Location: Northern California
baseballbrat wrote:
After doing some research I have found an answer to our poster "Guest" had mentioned in an above comment.

The logo which depicts the Chrysanthemum Crest setting in the sea was painted on the funnel of Yamato prior to Ichi-Ten-Go was from the Kusunoki Masashige Crest. A Japanese samurai of the Kamakura period remembered as the ideal of samurai loyalty, this was used as his family crest. Since Yamato's last mission was called a "suicide" mission by many historians, it only makes sense that this symbol was added to the ship as a symbol of pride. Stripped down to bare bones, this gesture of painting this Kusunoki Masashige Flag on the funnel suits this fatal last mission.

Google : Kusunoki Masashige Crest


Here's the money quote from Wiki that ties Kusunoki Masashige to Yamato & Ten-ichigo:

"The Battle of Minatogawa was a major defeat for the Imperial loyalists but became famous in Japanese mythology for the loyalty displayed by Kusunoki to the Emperor in the face of certain death and defeat."

_________________
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
http://www.battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 pm
Posts: 283
bucketfoot-al wrote:
baseballbrat wrote:
After doing some research I have found an answer to our poster "Guest" had mentioned in an above comment.

The logo which depicts the Chrysanthemum Crest setting in the sea was painted on the funnel of Yamato prior to Ichi-Ten-Go was from the Kusunoki Masashige Crest. A Japanese samurai of the Kamakura period remembered as the ideal of samurai loyalty, this was used as his family crest. Since Yamato's last mission was called a "suicide" mission by many historians, it only makes sense that this symbol was added to the ship as a symbol of pride. Stripped down to bare bones, this gesture of painting this Kusunoki Masashige Flag on the funnel suits this fatal last mission.

Google : Kusunoki Masashige Crest


Here's the money quote from Wiki that ties Kusunoki Masashige to Yamato & Ten-ichigo:

"The Battle of Minatogawa was a major defeat for the Imperial loyalists but became famous in Japanese mythology for the loyalty displayed by Kusunoki to the Emperor in the face of certain death and defeat."


Thanks Vlad!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:35 pm
Posts: 620
Location: Brittany, France
Image

From this book:

Image

_________________
Pascal

•SS Nomadic: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=311395
•USS Pamanset: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=305869
•USS Hornet: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=306241


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 pm
Posts: 283
Iceman 29 wrote:
Image

From this book:

Image


But not Yamato.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:41 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Long Island NY
I recently bought the 1/72 scale Yamato turret by Takom and had a question about the turret construction. Specifically I want to know if these turrets would have had weld beads? The kits moldings show none but the box art seems to indicate them and 1/72 is a large enough scale to consider adding them. I've seen videos where they are added to armor models and the results are worth the extra effort.

Any advice would be helpful.

Paul

_________________
"There's something wrong with our bloody ships today" - Admiral Beatty


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:10 pm
Posts: 41
I have the Nichimo 1/200 kit sitting in my garage, waiting patiently these 20 years or so until I’m ready to take the plunge. I’d like to start prepping for that day, whenever it might come. I’ve tried to search through the net but not found the definitive answers to my questions.

The believe the Fujumi 1/200 components can be adapted to this model but the cost would exceed that of the original kit. How do the L’Arsenal turrets compare? What resource should be considered the best in terms of research? I’ll probably choose to model the ship prior to the final mission, if that helps.

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Posts: 1423
Dear CASF Y&M friends, which 1/700 version is best today in 2021 (more accurate overall without needing modifications)?

Pit Road 1/700 Yamato (as sunk)
vs
Fujimi 1/700 Yamato (new tooling).


They differ in one big way at first viewing - Pit Road gives a little bit of hull plating to you, which of course are over scale (and yet, I like those). Having said that, the Fujimi one has some very oversized porthole covers that look x2 the size of what they should be at first glance. I don't like those, they look a bit comical. I dont know much about how the superstructures vary.

The prices on both kits are not comparable and one wonders why this is.

Is there really an accuracy gap between the two in favour of Pit Road (the more expensive one)? Dont see many reviews of Pit Road kit.. and its PE is very expensive (100 bucks).

My goal is to build a super detailed as sunk version of the ship, with darkened decks, full AA, etc. I want to start off with correct proportions at the very least.

Thoughts?

_________________
It's never too late for a great childhood!

Follow my work on Instagram at @shipific

ModelWarships Gallery


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
Posts: 3134
Location: Oslo, Norway
pascalemod wrote:

Is there really an accuracy gap between the two in favour of Pit Road (the more expensive one)? Dont see many reviews of Pit Road kit.. and its PE is very expensive (100 bucks).

My goal is to build a super detailed as sunk version of the ship, with darkened decks, full AA, etc. I want to start off with correct proportions at the very least.

Thoughts?

Both kits are the same excellent quality. The difference is two things, Pit-Road line of production is more garage/start up like smaller company, the CNC tooling they used is EXPENSIVE, I recall around 100k Euros. So higher cost. Fujimi use outsource manufactures. Aoshima's new tooling IJN Yamato class is nice too.
Check the video for some nice builds. Ignore the horrible music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXJGbDPWD8k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXwQle-_bWI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09I4EoIt884
Stay safe.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
Posts: 3266
Location: equidistant to everywhere
biercemountain wrote:
I recently bought the 1/72 scale Yamato turret by Takom and had a question about the turret construction. Specifically I want to know if these turrets would have had weld beads? The kits moldings show none but the box art seems to indicate them and 1/72 is a large enough scale to consider adding them. I've seen videos where they are added to armor models and the results are worth the extra effort.

Any advice would be helpful.

Paul


Heavy turret exterior armor on the sides and top are typically not welded. These armor are heat treated and welding would destroy the effects of heat treatment. The thick front, side and rear armor are typically mounted on a inner turret shell using steel studs in the rear, usually invisible from the outside. Roof armor is typically screwed onto inner turret shell with large screws visible on the outside.

_________________
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:41 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Long Island NY
chuck wrote:
Heavy turret exterior armor on the sides and top are typically not welded. These armor are heat treated and welding would destroy the effects of heat treatment. The thick front, side and rear armor are typically mounted on a inner turret shell using steel studs in the rear, usually invisible from the outside. Roof armor is typically screwed onto inner turret shell with large screws visible on the outside.


Thanks Chuck!!!

Paul

_________________
"There's something wrong with our bloody ships today" - Admiral Beatty


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alx and 23 guests


You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group