The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 59  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:59 am 

Hi EJ,

Another very useful photograph! I guess I am just inclined to wonder if this platform was temporarily fitted while the 284 set was being finished and calibrated? This may have taken a little while (hence it being observed in multiple photos).. it was brand-new after all.. But again I may be wrong.

Thanks for the picture.

Cheers,

Joseph

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:34 am 

Joseph R wrote:
Hi EJ,

Another very useful photograph! I guess I am just inclined to wonder if this platform was temporarily fitted while the 284 set was being finished and calibrated? This may have taken a little while (hence it being observed in multiple photos).. it was brand-new after all.. But again I may be wrong.

Thanks for the picture.

Cheers,

Joseph

For what its worth, when I first noticed this platform many moons ago, I asked Ted Briggs about it. He didn't remember it (not like he or anyone would be likely to have remembered something like that anyway).

I also asked John Roberts about it since it wasn't on any plans. I proposed that it was a temporary platform, but he pointed out that the railings, ladder and cutout in the overhanging roof suggested something permanent. Once again the wreck wasn't of much help: the foremast WAS Filmed, but not from an angle that showed that section/segment. Without more information, its difficult to be certain.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:38 am 

that platform reminds me of a simple maintenance access platform. IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:30 am 

Some of you may already know about this, but for those who don't, here's a link to an interesting colour film of the 1937 Fleet Review.
Its bit faded, but quite interesting nonetheless. The highlight (for Hood fans) is old "7Bs" herself at @2:18. She's shown in Mediterranean colours. A number of other vessels can be seen as well (including Hood's frenemy Dunkerque).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTGPxbAK8Xw

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:19 am 

I hadn't ever seen that video before! however, being already familiar with the 1937 review the funny thing was that just as I found myself wondering if the Soviet Battleship Marat would make an appearance, given that I knew he was there - a few seconds later am seeing the vista of crazy chimneys and sickle bow.. how amazing - I never thought I would get to see all this in colour. What a rare and unusual historical record.. thank you for posting it. Mighty HOOD definitely wasn't looking terrible either :) but may I ask what it meant by 7B's? I've not heard that one before..

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:42 am 

Hi All,

I think Mr Foeth and Mr Allen are correct as the image from which the close up of the front view of the spotting top above is taken is the one on page 170 of Warship Profile 19 HMS Hood by R G Robertson.

This image shows Hood anchored, possibly at Scapa Flow, in April of 1941, therefore not undergoing refit, it shows the platform, railings along it, the ladder to the roof, the roof cut out and a back hoop that the ladder passes through.

I would imagine that this platform was another access to the roof for radar bods to check the aerials etc? Of course it may be something only fitted when in port, but I would guess it's much like other access platforms seen on RN ships of the time and the ladder and hoop look permanent fixtures.

Temporary staging on the other hand is usually just planks etc, health and safety being less of an issue, I've seen film of a crewman of Prince of Wales painting the underside of the forward HACS tower arm with a long handled brush sat on a plank held in place by two ropes fastened from the HACS platform, smiling for the camera, Im not sure a risk assessment study was carried out!

Hope that helps
Best wishes
Cag.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:57 am 

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:09 am 
What "risk assessment," what "Health and Safety?" The only health and safety measure in place on EJF's attachment to his last post is the "life line" tied round the man's waist. That was all they had in those days. Even then, the man is not following the practice of the day: his paint pot should also be attached to the ship's structure by a lanyard. Sorry; I will explain, a lanyard is a bit of "string" to stop the pot falling more than a few feet should it be knocked over and wo betide him if any of the paint fell on the deck.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:39 am 

Hi All,

Thanks for that Mr Foeth, a very good example!

Hi Guest, I'm sure it was assessed as risky, but that's as far as it went! I remember in my post school youth (30 years ago now) swinging from a Jacobs ladder sign painting on building exteriors at some height or worse still working stacking bulk containers two or three high, and climbing a ladder to unhook the lifting chains for the crane from the corners whilst standing on the top, not so nice in windy conditions!

Thankfully today after risk assessment, method statement and training, on containers there are bottom lifting points and if stacked these are used together with harnesses fastened to attachment points on cranes if ladders are required to access anything at a height, times have certainly changed.

Best wishes
Cag.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:33 am 

Joseph R wrote:
I hadn't ever seen that video before! however, being already familiar with the 1937 review the funny thing was that just as I found myself wondering if the Soviet Battleship Marat would make an appearance, given that I knew he was there - a few seconds later am seeing the vista of crazy chimneys and sickle bow.. how amazing - I never thought I would get to see all this in colour. What a rare and unusual historical record.. thank you for posting it. Mighty HOOD definitely wasn't looking terrible either :) but may I ask what it meant by 7B's? I've not heard that one before..

It was one of Hood's more popular nicknames used by the crew in the late 1930s until her end (possibly earlier, but I'm not sure): "Britain's Biggest Bullsh1ttingest B@st@rd Built By Brown." There are, of course, variations in wording (some using less coarse language) which result in fewer words being employed (therefore she was sometimes "5Bs" or "6Bs."

That was one of a number of names for the old girl. Some were cleaner, some were worse (and those I will not repeat, LOL). As someone mentioned in an earlier post, the crews of ships often had their own special names for their vessels, but woe unto those outsiders who dared use them, LOL!

Speaking of "BS," the Yin to Hood's Yang, Bismarck, had her name shortened to "BS" in original German reports I've helped transcribe. Lots of BS floating about, LOL!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:53 pm 

brilliant haha.. I had never heard it before.. thank you.. and concerning sailors' 'affectionate' monikers for their ships I do recall something about Christmas cards from "Her Majesty's Beaver", which were hastily cancelled when one accidently actually got sent to HM the Queen..

Hey this random photograph just showed up on a certain social media group. unless my eyes are playing tricks on me it seems to suggest there was a ladder on the starboard rear face of Y-turret? or maybe something gave me the goat, so to speak..

Attachments:
1934whatisonYturret.jpg
1934whatisonYturret.jpg [ 61.54 KiB | Viewed 1736 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:54 pm 

Anyone of the RN historical experts know the ceremonial function of the goat?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:50 am 
Fliger 747,

This appears to be a photograph involving a British army formation onboard HMS HOOD: possibly an affiliated regiment. From the ceremonial dress of and the tools carried by the soldiers to the right of the goat, it may well be a Pioneer regiment. Frank Allen may/will be able to give more precise information.

Joseph,

Yes, it's an access ladder.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:59 am 

Hi Fliger,

Fyi the photo was captioned as beat/retreat by the Welsh Guards. Sorry I was more interested in the ladder which seems to be absent on numerous drawings I have. I seemed to recall that photographs of the turrets' rear faces were scarce - so I reposted it.

Thanks again Guest for your comments.. Always glad to know I can still tell up from down etc when perpetually high on paint fumes and Ardbeg.

Cheers, J

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:13 am 
Joseph,

Thanks for the last post: to be pedantic the correct term is "Beat Retreat." The ceremony is an old one and derives its origins from the days when there was a need to call soldiers inside a city's walls for the night ..... yet another totally useless piece of information courtesy of the "Calling all Hood fans" Topic.

Frank Allen,

Re: Post of 13 May. Polite people would have referred to HMS HOOD as a "Daily Mirror" ship: I don't know what the current polite term is.

Fliger747,

Apologies for not answering your post of 13 May properly. The goat would have been a regimental mascot.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:50 am 

Joseph R wrote:
Hey this random photograph just showed up on a certain social media group. unless my eyes are playing tricks on me it seems to suggest there was a ladder on the starboard rear face of Y-turret? or maybe something gave me the goat, so to speak..

This is a photo of a 1934 or 1935 visit of the Royal Welch Fusiliers. An original of this photo is held at the National Museum of the Royal Navy Library in Portsmouth. Its part of the Rory O'Conor photo album which was donated by his adopted daughter and long time Hood Association member/founder of the HMS Neptune Association, the late Nixie Taverner (RIP). As I recall, there are a few shots of the Fusiliers and their gruff mascot aboard the ship.

Yes, there was a ladder on the rear of "Y" turret. Seems like a logical place for a ladder. The odd one, to me, is the ladder on the face of "X" turret (to left of the left-hand gun). Like the aircraft platform frames, it was left in place long after it was not needed/used.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:01 pm 

Were Hood’s deck wenches painted hull color during early to mid 1920s?

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:51 pm 

Guest wrote:
Joseph,

Thanks for the last post: to be pedantic the correct term is "Beat Retreat." The ceremony is an old one and derives its origins from the days when there was a need to call soldiers inside a city's walls for the night ..... yet another totally useless piece of information courtesy of the "Calling all Hood fans" Topic.

Hello again Guest,

I appreciate your correction. Admittedly I had forgotten how to correctly write the term (thankfully refrained from splicing a conjunction in there). And while I did have the privilege to observe some Beat Retreats during my two weeks in the RN - which were mostly performed by Mer Majesty's Royal Marines Bandsmen (who are impressive beyond eloquent description) - I will also admit that the literal meanings of such ceremonial fixtures weren't necessarily always taught to matelots. So, I don't think it's ever wasted effort to share information - and no piece of information shared could ever be useless in this respect. Thanks again.

All the best,

Joseph

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:14 pm 
Chuck,

Re: Your Post of 15 May, 6.01pm

Essentially, yes. Images of the ship taken shortly before departing from John Brown's yard for trials show them and their canvas covers as being painted a "medium" grey, the same as the hull and superstructure. However, the metal of each winch's warping drum was probably left unpainted. I don't know if the colour ever changed after 1920/21: a trawl of the HOOD website photographs may reveal something.

Incidentally, a "wench" (I can't work out how your typo occurred) is an English rustic term for a girl or unmarried young woman.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:26 pm 

As in a "fine wench"! "Spel Chequrs" often stubbornly think they know best, mine has troubles with SKEG which it convolutes to KEG, as in "maybe the serving wench will tap the keg for us"?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 59  Next