The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:58 pm 
I don't seem to be able to post pictures on here successfully. Here's some pictures of my Dido build on the Airfix site. Previous pages on this thread also show the original Tiger hull alongside the Dido conversion hull. It's good fun converting, and I have a spare Suffolk in 1:600 that I'll probably convert to Exeter.

https://uk.airfix.com/community/forum/1600-ww2-british-aa-cruiser?ccm_paging_p=2#end-of-replies

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:13 pm 

Kevin Dekker wrote:
I don't seem to be able to post pictures on here successfully. Here's some pictures of my Dido build on the Airfix site. Previous pages on this thread also show the original Tiger hull alongside the Dido conversion hull. It's good fun converting, and I have a spare Suffolk in 1:600 that I'll probably convert to Exeter.

https://uk.airfix.com/community/forum/1600-ww2-british-aa-cruiser?ccm_paging_p=2#end-of-replies

Your previous photos linked to ones that were on (what I guess was) your personal Google Drive, where the photos are locked from public viewing. The links also seemed to lead to the page where the photos are, rather than the photos themselves, so the [img] tags wouldn't work regardless.

If you copy the link to the photos you posted on the Airfix forum (right click, copy link to image) and use the [img] tags with those, they should show up here without issues, albeit without the benefit of the auto-resizing that the newer Airfix forum software has.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:28 pm 
Okay lets try this image posting thing one more time based on the advice above, for which thanks.

This is the Airfix 1:600 Tiger hull and deck with the converted version. Length and beam reduced, most of deck replaced. Cruiser stern added aft, and eventually two extra shafts, armour belt and bilge keel added.

This is the scratch built forward superstructure and turrets taking shape.

The WEM PE was used and this is the foremast created by adding an extra section on to the Tiger fore mast, as well as placing the Type 277 radar on it.

Forward hull and superstructure complete:

Overall waterline view using some MDF shelves as sea/sky:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:20 am 

Just asking a question. I just wondering if it's possible to convert an existing kit like Flyhawk 1/700 HMS Naiad into a Bellona subgroup of Dido class like HMS Black Prince?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:28 am 

It would require a lot of changes of the superstructure including even the funnels.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:44 pm 

Possible? Yes. Easy? No. As maxim said, there would be a lot of work involved:
    New forward superstructure from "B" gundeck upwards (ie remove upper section of Part R-1 and build a completely new structure).
    Source a third quadruple 2pdr pompom and pompom director.
    Omit Naiad's quadruple 0.5" mountings.
    Add new 20mm Oerlikons in single and twin mountings.
    Replace raked foremast and mainmast with vertical ones.
    Replace raked funnels with vertical ones.
    Add new superstructure block ahead of after funnel.
    Replace masthead air warning radar aerials.
    Add new gunnery radar aerials to all three DCTs and pompom directors.
    Add surface warning radar on foremast.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:01 pm 

Thanks maxim and tjstoneman, Yes I'm aware of the scale of challenge if I'm gonna undertake this project. The difference between the Dido and Bellona are way too obvious. Unfortunately for me I don't have detailed line drawings of Black Prince The internet can only provide less detailed line drawings. Shipbucket can only provide starboard side. I hope that somebody might help me get more detailed drawings of Black Prince.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:34 am 

DavidP wrote:
Bayuro, I have drawings of the profile & topview for the Black Prince. the profile is 1.2mb at 4200x1200 & the topview is 1.16mb at 4300x1100. need email address if you want a copy.

Nice, thank you DavidP!

bobbyayuro@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:41 pm 
Hello all, I was wondering if some sage could help me out with the colors on Dido's 1943 Disruptive scheme.

Looking at the attached photo (which i found earlier in the thread) I thought that Dido would be fun to model during this time. I looked though the ships logs and IWM photo archive, and I am positive that I have found the port side camoflauge as well.

ImageImage

While I may be able to derive the pattern from this, I'm not sure what the colors are. Based on the contrast between shades and the colors availible in late 1943 I think that there are 4 shades; G10,G20,B30, and G45. However, I can't be sure. Are there any resources on this, or is photo analysis the best anyone can do?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:44 am 

I am not aware of any source documentary evidence regarding the colours in this scheme. However my hunch is that the more likely palette would have been G10, B15, B30, G45 (ie B15 rather than G20). Such a palette was common on larger ships at this time. I quite understand given the tone seen in the photos why you have suggested G20 but blues do seem to have tended to photograph a bit lighter in that era and there are numerous photos of ships where we know B15 was present where the B15 looks very much like the second darkest tone in those photos of Dido. But, as I say, only a hunch.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 1:49 pm 

Greeting gentleman.
i want to make Bonaventure by Flyhawk Naiad 1940
so i have question about Bonaventure
As i know Bonaventure she is armed with only eight 5.25 inch guns in four twin turrets and one starshell gun(sorry,i dont know is MK.V or else,even in IWM),Naiad have ten 5.25 inch guns,both of them got Type 279 radar. is there any else differences?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 6:59 am 

DavidP wrote:

thanks a lot :heh:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:43 pm 

Inspired by the earlier posts I now have a Flyhawk HMS Naiad on my modelling table; I've never tried one of their kits before, all the parts look pretty smart. And they've been very generous with the provision of paravanes; never seen so many on one sprue.

The painting guide for 1940 shows an unpainted deck but I wonder if it should be grey. In fact the box art seems to be closer to the Flotta scheme than the vanilla/mint/chocolate shown on the instruction sheet. Does anyone know the likely deck colour for this period?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:57 am 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

Donald wrote:
Inspired by the earlier posts I now have a Flyhawk HMS Naiad on my modelling table; I've never tried one of their kits before, all the parts look pretty smart. And they've been very generous with the provision of paravanes; never seen so many on one sprue.

The painting guide for 1940 shows an unpainted deck but I wonder if it should be grey. In fact the box art seems to be closer to the Flotta scheme than the vanilla/mint/chocolate shown on the instruction sheet. Does anyone know the likely deck colour for this period?

It would be good if it were possible to tag other users on this forum like more modern platforms as I'd like to get Richard Dennis' attention here. I'm not convinced HMS Naiad was wearing Flotta colours as the pattern is nothing like other known Flotta schemes which tended to be more horizontally layered. I think it more likely HMS Naiad wore black, 507A and 507C. There is one period aerial photograph I known of and the decks do look rather dark, but the photo is quite poor quality and unstained / weathered wooden decks can look rather darker than often expected, particularly when wet.

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:33 am 

This topic has been covered previously (see Page 4 of this thread). My guess is that the Flyhawk instructions were based upon the Profile Morskie booklet, which is likely to have drawn upon Alan Raven's book in the Ensign series, in which he asserted that she wore dark brown/light green/light grey. Since then, Raven's book in the Warships Perspectives series showed the scheme as Black/AP507B/AP507C (note that this was published well before recent research showed that AP507A and AP507B were the same shade).

Whilst Malcolm Wright's book shows drawings in BOTH green/brown/white and black/"507b"/"507c", this can probably be discounted unless more evidence comes to light.

I have seen two overhead views of the ship in this scheme (https://www.world-war.co.uk/Dido/naiad.php and https://preview.redd.it/rnbx91gxhtx81.j ... c9b3795550) - as James stated, the decks look rather dark (in both).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:14 am 

SovereignHobbies wrote:

It would be good if it were possible to tag other users on this forum like more modern platforms as I'd like to get Richard Dennis' attention here.

OK, je suis ici!

On page 4 I quoted what Alan Raven wrote back in 2015 on the question of Naiad’s colours as featured in his 1973 Ensign publication. Alan wrote: "In the early seventies, the only data that I had on this ship as she appeared in 1940, leaned strongly to her being in the Flotta scheme, which Home Fleet cruisers were painted in at this time. After the Ensign was published, people came forward, all stating that the ship was never in brown and green, but in BLACK and GREY. Hence the difference in the later publication."

Since then I have found further supporting information in the form of two memos on a DTSD file that would rule out Naiad having been in the green and brown colours of the Flotta scheme. The first was from the CO of RN Air Station Hatston dated 6th August 1940 stating that that it was cruisers of the 18th Cruiser Squadron of the Home Fleet that wore the Flotta scheme. The second was a memo from the C-in-C Home Fleet (Forbes) dated 19th August 1940 stating that the only ships then still wearing the Flotta scheme were cruisers of the 18th Cruiser Squadron.

When Dido first arrived at Scapa on 26th July 1940 to work up she joined the 15th Cruiser Squadron and was still in this squadron when she transferred to the Mediterranean Fleet in 1941.

As for the decks, I have higher quality versions of both the aerial photos that Tim has linked to (and one further one). The forecastle deck appears unpainted/unstained as the caulking lines between the deck planking show up:
Attachment:
Naiad 1940 forecastle.jpg
Naiad 1940 forecastle.jpg [ 134.07 KiB | Viewed 6620 times ]

On the quarterdeck there is no such striping - it is all one uniform colour:
Attachment:
Naiad 1940 quarterdeck.jpg
Naiad 1940 quarterdeck.jpg [ 136.56 KiB | Viewed 6620 times ]

The forecastle deck also appears generally lighter than the quarterdeck. It is strange that her decks should have been 50/50 in this way. Maybe they were halfway through painting/staining them and got interrupted? I wonder if they ever finished the job?!

There is a sharp tone divide level with the forward face of the aft deckhouse with the area around the torpedo tubes lighter than the quarterdeck aft:
Attachment:
Naiad 1940 divide.jpg
Naiad 1940 divide.jpg [ 96.64 KiB | Viewed 6620 times ]

This might be a dividing line between the unpainted/unstained and painted/stained deck areas but it might also suggest Semtex around the TTs. It would be good to know what deck surface the As Fitteds show in this area.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:52 am 

Very interesting photos; thanks for posting. I've already primed my Flyhawk Naiad deck so I will just go for a compromise scheme. Airbrush and shaders at the ready.

My late maternal grandfather was employed by North Co at Kirkwall during the period and they had contracts for revictualling Home Fleet vessels. I never thought to ask him what he recalled about colour schemes he'd seen even though I was modelling these ships in his twilight years.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:52 pm 

Was the wood removed from the quarterdeck or was she built that way? Photos show wood on the quarterdecks of at least Dido, Phoebe and Hermione.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:16 am 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

dick wrote:

There is a sharp tone divide level with the forward face of the aft deckhouse with the area around the torpedo tubes lighter than the quarterdeck aft:
Attachment:
Naiad 1940 divide.jpg

This might be a dividing line between the unpainted/unstained and painted/stained deck areas but it might also suggest Semtex around the TTs. It would be good to know what deck surface the As Fitteds show in this area.

Richard am I imagining it or is there a curved paint demarcation on top of that structure aft of the torpedo tubes, in the area of the Carley floats and the small platform just forward of them?

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:19 am 

There is certainly a lightening there Jamie. Looking closely there is other mottling elsewhere on that deck and on the quarterdeck below. Not sure if it is imperfections in the photo itself, imperfections in the mixing of any paint/stain there, or something deliberate - the remains of some dockyard camouflage perhaps (that particular photo is dated 24th July 1940) or partial bringing of the pattern from the sides over onto the decks. As ever we need more and better photos!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next