The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:24 am 

dick wrote:
Kevin, Yes, but now looking even more closely at your '1946' art I'm wondering if the artist has not shown the small steaming ensign after all and so put three ensigns on the mainmast!

No, there is two on mainmast and one on foremast, I think? I'll have to take a closer look at orginal but what you have circled may just be where I haven't properly aligned the top of mainmast with bottom, as I cut and pasted the top half of the mast from one image to another and may not have aligned it properly.

But if you're right, then it wasn't the artist's mistake on mainmast Dick, it was mine. That is, my above is my Photoshop 'mockup' that I have done for the new artist. So the reverse order is in order to rectify maimast alignment so to speak then and larger one should be at top. Again thanks..

Last edited by KevinD on Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:30 am 

Ah ha - I get it now!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:51 am 

You were right (again) Dick! If I had bothered to dig out the 'real'high res original (I was working from just from the painting itself) the heading says it all. :huh:

Still, given it's a bit 'lost' in there amongst the mast, etc I'll remove it and put in the more discernible ones, but in the right top to bottom order of course. If I decide to put two there that is. :wave_1:

Attachments:
Exeter-sinking-TWI-1945-6.jpg
Exeter-sinking-TWI-1945-6.jpg [ 273.52 KiB | Viewed 5699 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:58 am 

Gents, the below image, from Tonk's HMS Exeter booklet, carries the source as IWM. However, I cant find it on the IWM web site. I was wondering if someone might know / have a link to where it is (or maybe it is just in IWM collection, not on-line?), or a high res version they would care to share. :smallsmile:

Attachments:
Exeter-from-R-Tonks-booklet.jpg
Exeter-from-R-Tonks-booklet.jpg [ 222.79 KiB | Viewed 5628 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:05 am 

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item ... /205185265

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:24 am 

Brett Morrow wrote:
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205185265

Thanks again Brett. :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:34 pm 

Hi gus, a quick question

Did Exeter have Pom Pom director installed in 1942? if yes, did it come with type 282 radar?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 2:24 am 

hj1985 - no evidence that the pompom directors were ever fitted - see posts dated 16 March 2022 in this thread.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:48 am 

tjstoneman wrote:
hj1985 - no evidence that the pompom directors were ever fitted - see posts dated 16 March 2022 in this thread.

Thank you Pal!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:23 am 

KevinD wrote:
DavidP wrote:
I don't see any flags in this link. https://www.world-war.co.uk/York/exeter.php

Thanks, but.......................................................... that photo you link to wasn't when she was fighting the enemy, so one wouldn't expect to have all ensigns flying then.

So the question remains, IF she was flying her ensigns in battle would / could she have had two on the mainmast?

PLEASE NOTE: I am not asking DID she have two flying there in her final engagement, but would it be "appropriate" - as in could / would it have been done in 'real-life' - to show two flying off the mainmast in a painting as above?

TIA.

This photo did show she had two ensigns on the mainmast, but can't tell what they are.

Attachment:
Exeter flag.JPG
Exeter flag.JPG [ 32.1 KiB | Viewed 5494 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:44 am 

1. This cropped portion of the photo shows the foremast, not the mainmast.
2. The ship is at anchor, with no indication that she is in action, and therefore would be unlikely to be flying battle ensign(s).
3. This portion of the photo is indistinct, but it's not clear that either of the flags is an ensign. The lower flag may be the national flag of the Netherlands.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 12:11 pm 

Gents,

Been working for some now time with Stefan Draminski on a 3D rendition of the wreck of HMS Exeter, depicted in the condition as we discovered her in 2007, using several expeditions worth of survey data, so now's as good a time as any for the very first public preview. :wave_1:

Just a little taste for the moment, I'll have a web page up with various angle views in the not too distant future, and a fly-around on YouTube also, or so I am told. :woo_hoo:

PLEASE NOTE: The 'gash' across the aft deck is not, repeat not the result of a torpedo hit, although the one across the bow certainly is. The other torp hit, right between the funnels, can only be seen on the 3D 'bottom' views, as although it hit the starboard side, it blew out part of the bottom of the ship. The gash across stern deck (and partway down port hull side there) was simply caused by 'gravity', i.e. the weight of the two inner-most props, and rudder, 'pulling down' / collapsing the very stern over a certain amount of time underwater, as the stern was, obviously, never built to support aforesaid weight while laying on her side.

So, even though the salvagers might have taken her body and soul, we will still have something that many can see, that was made in her and her sailors honour to remember them both / all by.

Enjoy, (I hope).

EDIT: Corrected above '........weight of the two outer most props.......' to "inner-most". Beg pardon. :doh_1:

Attachments:
HMS-Exeter-wreck-in-2007.jpg
HMS-Exeter-wreck-in-2007.jpg [ 122.31 KiB | Viewed 5481 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:11 am 

Just so no confusion as to what the stern looks like. A diver could (has) swim under wreck where the 'V' like bend in starboard deck edge is (on the seabed), and come out at props, and inspected / surveyed the starboard hull under there, and no (torp) hole).

Attachments:
HMS-EXETER-WRECK-STERN.jpg
HMS-EXETER-WRECK-STERN.jpg [ 54.37 KiB | Viewed 5435 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:58 am 

And getting back to the ensigns on Exeter 'at the end', below is how the British naval artist Eric Tufnell depicted her on 28th Feb at the B of J S, two days before her demise (and how I will have in my 'redo' of the 1945 monochrome painting from further above.)

EDIT - The painting IS actually of 1 March 42, NOT 28 Feb as I mistakenly wrote above. :Oops_1: :huh: :doh_1:

Attachments:
Exeter-Tufnell.jpg
Exeter-Tufnell.jpg [ 144.79 KiB | Viewed 5357 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 8:52 am 

I meant to add this to a previous post; an image of what the wreck site looks like 'today', courtesy of the illegal salvagers. :mad_1: :bash_2:

Attachments:
Exeter wreck heading from 2016 Survey.JPG
Exeter wreck heading from 2016 Survey.JPG [ 70.77 KiB | Viewed 5302 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 4:42 am 

Gents,

The memorial web page is now up, thanks to Pierre Kosmidis of WW2wrecks.com.

It contains historical photos, more 3D wreck images and a survey description of the of the wreck itself.

Enjoy!

https://www.ww2wrecks.com/portfolio/a-d ... in-denlay/

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:48 pm 

Gents, do 'we' know exactly what mod torp Exeter carried at the time of her loss, i.e. MkVII, MkIX, or MkIX**? (As per page below, courtesy NavWeps :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: )

Also, is the length of just the warhead itself known of a MkVII or a MkIX? Or does anyone have a side-on photo of, say, the MkIX torp where one could make a good guestimate of warhead length?

TIA for any help!

Attachments:
British-Mk-IX-torps.jpg
British-Mk-IX-torps.jpg [ 93.01 KiB | Viewed 5101 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:59 pm 

Kevin, If you backtrack the thread you should find a weapons listing. In 39 she was apparently carrying Mk VII, in Oct 41 the report lists she was carrying Mk IX although it shows both IX and IX*. The O/A length of the Mk IX was 24.25 ft, the length of the warhead (excluding 3F contact pistol) was 53.8 inches.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:43 am 

Brett Morrow wrote:
Kevin, If you backtrack the thread you should find a weapons listing. In 39 she was apparently carrying Mk VII, in Oct 41 the report lists she was carrying Mk IX although it shows both IX and IX*. The O/A length of the Mk IX was 24.25 ft, the length of the warhead (excluding 3F contact pistol) was 53.8 inches.
Thanks very much Brett!

As odd as it seems (at least to me, given its position (and no 'record' / mention of a torp losing a warhead just prior to sinking) this object certainly seems to be a warhead. A back and forth discussion with another knowledgeable person on another forum pretty much confirms it, allowing for very slight differences in actual measurement of the 'object' as compared too an actual warhead size. But these small discrepancies can be 'forgiven', in my experience, from both marine growth / silt build up, and the awkward position it is in to properly get an exact length measurement, but the diameter measurement is spot on for 21" (well to be exact lays somewhere between 21" and 22", but again allowance must be made for the silt / marine growth build up on said object).

Anyway below are some pics of it, and a b/w example of a torp (not a MkIX AFAIK though) but it clearly shows a warhead and the 'nipple' on the nose. No pics of the rear of the 'object', but it is concave, as it should be if a warhead,

Your own opinion would be valued of course.

Attachments:
Torps-object.jpg
Torps-object.jpg [ 206.82 KiB | Viewed 5031 times ]
Torp-object-close.jpg
Torp-object-close.jpg [ 203.65 KiB | Viewed 5031 times ]
Tubes-object1.jpg
Tubes-object1.jpg [ 204.1 KiB | Viewed 5031 times ]
Tubes-object1-CLS.jpg
Tubes-object1-CLS.jpg [ 192.98 KiB | Viewed 5031 times ]
Torpedo-nose-'cone'.jpg
Torpedo-nose-'cone'.jpg [ 213.47 KiB | Viewed 5031 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:18 pm 

It certainly looks like a warhead, although the pistol is missing the arming impeller. The external OA length of the type 3 pistol with impeller fitted was 5.25 inches.

Attachments:
type 3 contact pistol.jpg
type 3 contact pistol.jpg [ 78.54 KiB | Viewed 4991 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next