Calling all Yamato (大和) and Musashi (武蔵) fans

Battleships and Battlecruisers of all nations and eras.
BB and BC.

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey

Post Reply
User avatar
Atma
Posts: 3134
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Atma »

Porthole covers and rivets in 1/700 scale can drive a man mad. but I guess in 1/200 is a bit more easy ? :big_grin:
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Senkan »

I can see putting porthole covers on a 1/700...but rivets...yikes. I might add rivets to my 1/350 Yamato but I cant see doing it to my 1/700. What would you use? A grain of sand?
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

1/200 Yamato Hull

Post by Senkan »

Well I put rivets on half the ship. Then sprayed the hull with Tamiya Super Fine primer. I got the look I was looking for. Im still thinking on if I should rivet the bottom or not....

The problem Im seeing now is painting the waterline and how do I do that with all that detail on the hull...any ideas?
Attachments
0627110027.jpg
0627110026a.jpg
0627110026.jpg
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
User avatar
bucketfoot-al
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: The Lone Star State
Contact:

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by bucketfoot-al »

Wow, lots of work, but the final result seems well worth the effort! Outstanding!

As far as the waterline goes ... well, you've got to use some kind of masking tape before you spray, no? If I understood your question correctly. Don't have that much experience with different types of tape, but someone around here should be able to help you ...
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
User avatar
sgtryan13
Posts: 2651
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:48 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by sgtryan13 »

Nice work Senkan! I like the beefy look you achieved a lot!

For masking, I would think if you spray the upper hull with your grey forst and give it a few coats of clear sealer you will be ok masking the lower hull to spray the red. My suggestions would be for the straight runs, use 3M low tack artist's tape, this worked wonders on my Truman build, and does not have enough grip to pull off any paint or any of your rivets or porthole covers. on the curved areas you will need a stickier tape, but you don't have many rivets on the curved tricky areas, so you should be ok there.

Ryan
Enlisted men are stupid, but very cunning and deceitful and bear considerable watching." - Marine Corps Officers Manual, 1894

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Senkan »

Thanks Ryan. Im gonna give that tape a try.

I remember you had an issue with Tom's portholes being too thin on your Yamato. I saw a guy who used stretched sprew and twisted it around a small dowel or the like to make the eyebrows. It looked pretty good. Ive got the Toms portholes and Im going to add them w/o any primer and hope they show up. If not I might have to try this method.
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
Ben Hartley

Re: 1/200 Yamato Hull

Post by Ben Hartley »

Senkan wrote:Well I put rivets on half the ship. Then sprayed the hull with Tamiya Super Fine primer. I got the look I was looking for. Im still thinking on if I should rivet the bottom or not....

The problem Im seeing now is painting the waterline and how do I do that with all that detail on the hull...any ideas?
Um... I've been a-lurkin'... and like your Yamato very much.

Have you ever tried "liquid mask?" It's available here:

http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.a ... on+masking
User avatar
Atma
Posts: 3134
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Atma »

Senkan wrote:I can see putting porthole covers on a 1/700...but rivets...yikes. I might add rivets to my 1/350 Yamato but I cant see doing it to my 1/700. What would you use? A grain of sand?
Actually I never tried to add rivets in 1/700, and to be honest not even in 1/500 scale !
User avatar
navydavesof
Posts: 3127
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:38 pm

Re: 1/200 Yamato Hull

Post by navydavesof »

Senkan wrote:Well I put rivets on half the ship. Then sprayed the hull with Tamiya Super Fine primer. I got the look I was looking for. Im still thinking on if I should rivet the bottom or not....

The problem Im seeing now is painting the waterline and how do I do that with all that detail on the hull...any ideas?
WOW! Absolutely awesome! Great job! Keep up this fantastic work. I really look forward to future posts.
Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
User avatar
Atma
Posts: 3134
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Atma »

Senkan any progress on your build ? :cool_1:
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Senkan »

Sorry Atma. Taking a break from the monster. I still need to do the other half of the hull. Next will be finishing up the other hull details and painting it. I expect the hull to be finished by the end of the month.
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
User avatar
JBA
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:49 am
Location: Lyon
Contact:

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by JBA »

Dear all,
I have been searching the 54 pages of the thread but I can't seem to find exactly what i am after.

Yamato's bow crest and immediate surroundings as shown here :
Image

I need to know quite a few things about it

1/ I read somewhere that the crest was 2 meters wide, but on the Anatomy of the Ship book it shows 1.20 m, can anyone confirm this?

2/ in what material was the crest actually done? brass? steel with golden plating?

3/ the steel (?) support was straight or slightly curved like i show in my drawing?

Image

4/ How was done the steel plate upper border, here are 3 likely propositions..

Image

5/ How was that crest fixed on the steel plate / Would there be any rivets (or fixation system) visible on the other side?

6/ The "Towing Fairlead" would have been of a different kind of steel I suppose? looks quite thick.. Would it have been heavily weathered by ropes (?) traces by the time of the sinking?

7/ I don't understand much the plans (and the few model pictures I have seen) about this "Towing Fairlead", would the 2 big metal chunks be overlapping? would there be any space between them?

Image

Lots of questions on a really small place of the Battleship but thanks for viewing!
JB
"Too much colour distracts the viewer"
Tati
http://www.jbadiorama.com/
User avatar
bucketfoot-al
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: The Lone Star State
Contact:

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by bucketfoot-al »

Well I can answer one question definitively; the crest was exactly 2 meters wide. The sub that examined the wreck held out a 2 meter ruler across the crest with its mechanical arm and sure enough, it was exactly 2 meters wide. You can see the video as part of the NOVA documentary "Sinking the Supership" ...
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
User avatar
JBA
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:49 am
Location: Lyon
Contact:

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by JBA »

Thanks for this Bucketfoot-al, I think I can start by this already :thumbs_up_1:
"Too much colour distracts the viewer"
Tati
http://www.jbadiorama.com/
User avatar
J. Soca
Posts: 2161
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:36 pm
Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by J. Soca »

Would you consider using the 1/1 scale mockup of the battleship from the 2005 film Otokotachi No Yamato as reference too? scroll down a little down and you'll find great shots of the bow's chrysanthemum and fairlead. i cant remember well if what i read about the crest was accurate or not and it wasnt Yamato's it was another vessel i think i read these were made out of some kind of wood ?? ofcourse there was a process in how to get it to its final look i just don't remember at all.

http://mokehana.web.fc2.com/e-photo-yamatomovie-set.htm


Jose :wave_1:
User avatar
Atma
Posts: 3134
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Atma »

Nice link.
I think for Otokotachi No Yamato the Japanese producers got help from people that "know" about IJN Yamato class in depth, they are experts.
EJFoeth
Posts: 2936
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by EJFoeth »

There are some errors in the 1:1 mock-up though, so it's not quite reference material.
User avatar
JBA
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:49 am
Location: Lyon
Contact:

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by JBA »

Thanks for the link Jose, that's one I didn't have :thumbs_up_1:

Thanks Atma and EJ. Yesthose pictures will be very useful to get the right "look and feel" of the whole thing. Now if it's totally accurate or not.. The most important part is shown on the underwater pictures anyway.
:wave_1:
"Too much colour distracts the viewer"
Tati
http://www.jbadiorama.com/
User avatar
Atma
Posts: 3134
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Atma »

The best IJN Yamato on market, the 1/500 Fujimi kit, now on 1941 mode(as build):
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10155426
Out late August, hurry up !
Enjoy.
User avatar
Atma
Posts: 3134
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Atma »

Something that I notice on my 1/500 Fujimi's IJN Yamato:
Image
That IJN Yamato had recieved an extra pair of machine gun directors in 1945, every build I see of IJN Yamato 1945 era dosent not have this feature.
Fujimi maybe came with new details about the 1945 version of IJN Yamato cause the 1944 version of IJN Yamato dosent have the extra machine gun directors.
Anyone can confirm that ?
Post Reply

Return to “Battleships”