1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, JIM BAUMANN, Jon, Dan K

User avatar
LE BOSCO
Posts: 2261
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Paris France

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by LE BOSCO »

setori wrote:Et alors ? On fout plus rien ?
Ca me manque !
HI setori
if I do something but the shipyard is closed !
cheers
Nicolas
User avatar
LE BOSCO
Posts: 2261
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Paris France

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by LE BOSCO »

Hello :wave_1:

the shipyard is opened ....the holidays gave me back my strength and envy for the last straight line!!
once all railings are folded,they are posed on a polystyrene block, and are painted separately

Image

I like to do this, okay it takes longer, but no trace of glue

Image

on the stell deck,I used the same method as for the wooden deck, a masking tape piece at each element present on the deck ,a dark brown pastel application ,and installation of the elements separately weathered . at the red Arrow, the crane basis not instaled,just for see the result of treatment. I like the effect ,rather present but not too much :wink:

Image

then it's time to get on the floors and more specifically on the navigation footbridge .the same operation for the railings ,drilling to each candlelight ,folded etc etc ..

Image

Image

the railings are less up, to the height of the optical of range finder 100mm.

Image

speaking of range finder , I added back, two doors of access, which I had not done on my first resin version

Image

Image

here is that I correct my own corrections :scratch: :smallsmile:
see you soon for the nest step
regards
Nicolas
User avatar
LE BOSCO
Posts: 2261
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Paris France

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by LE BOSCO »

hello gentlemen

the last progress
for "windows" from the navigation bridge, I cheated ,by making out with strips black decal

Image

the result with railings

Image

after a weathering with o�l paint and black and Brown wash

Image

first temporary installation with the rangefinders

Image

then the work going to wear on the funnel and these infrasructures

Image

Image

I have to bend and to pose still the railings on this infrasructures

Image

see you soon for the next step
regards
Nicolas
User avatar
gtbred
Posts: 2717
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:10 am
Location: san francisco

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by gtbred »

Just a great job on your build. Now after watching your build I get started on my BlueJ. My Tonkin Gulf build is taking too much of my time.
User avatar
MartinJQuinn
Posts: 8601
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:40 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by MartinJQuinn »

Magnificent. Just magnificent.
Martin

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery
EJFoeth
Posts: 2936
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by EJFoeth »

Now that you have placed the railing with the drilling: would you do it again in this manner or would you do it differently? For example, not drilling each stanching but every third of fourth for long stretches? Drilling in consistently is very tricky and can cause damage (drills, model, self confidence).

It does offers great opportunities for certain types of railing and looks more realistic (depending on the actual railing)... the folding can also be less exact than for 'normal' railing because it is so very very easy to notice the connection on the deck for that type.... hmmm.... interesting...

I recall that Verlinden used to have railing you needed to drill in and I used it before I could actually do any modeling and the result was awful... :smallsmile:
User avatar
LE BOSCO
Posts: 2261
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Paris France

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by LE BOSCO »

EJFoeth wrote: .....would you do it again in this manner or would you do it differently? .....
thanks a lot to all three :thumbs_up_1:
EJFoeth to answer your question ,I do it again without any problems in the same manner ......drilled every candlestick !ok, it takes time but it is close to reality in my case.it's me who has to ask a friend (Jean Mahieux)to get me to this typical railings for the richelieu

Image

Image

Verlinden have used for these railings of marshmallow brass :big_grin: impossible to do a proper job with .
me ,mine are in maillechort and put to the specific dimensions of the "royal" .Thus it suits me :wink:
best regard
Nicolas
EJFoeth
Posts: 2936
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by EJFoeth »

That railing looks very sturdy on the real ship! I did some drilled-in handrails a few weeks back with a 0.2mm drill (Ushi van der Rosten drill set did the job very well). Takes some time (who cares) but without a good template it's difficult to not make any errors.. so I used a template. For my next ship (2025? :big_grin: ) the main railing is some distance from the edge of the deck. With your results I shall begin contemplating drilled-in railing once more :thumbs_up_1: What diameter is the 027 drill?
User avatar
LE BOSCO
Posts: 2261
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Paris France

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by LE BOSCO »

EJFoeth wrote:.... What diameter is the 027 drill?.....
Yep !it is of an unusual diameter 0.27 .... because it comes from the tooling of my father who was an engineer in micromechanics! the 0.25 easier to find, may also well do the trick
I am in the process to posed of railings and i put the pics once finished
regards
Nicholas
EJFoeth
Posts: 2936
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by EJFoeth »

Ah! I thought it was a US drill size or such and it didn't make sense :) Good work your railing fits so well! This is really tricky work. :thumbs_up_1:

FYI: There is a 0.25mm drill in the Ushi set, in case someone needs it.
User avatar
LE BOSCO
Posts: 2261
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Paris France

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by LE BOSCO »

HI gentlemen

thank a lot EJFoeth :thumbs_up_1:
the last progress
to start, I handled of the railings on the roof bearing the rangefinder

Image

small tests before painting

Image

I realized that I had forgotten to equip the top of the navigation bridge
forgot repaired!

Image

Image

but I also realized that I missed two details on the "mast" that serves as an axis of rotation of rangefinder !
indeed it has under the two horizontal arms , are present two speaker (red arrows)

Image

hwith my home made accessories, the work was done quickly

Image

ready for painting

Image

after railings installations and the painting , a small passage to the weathering of all these parts. I do not force too much on this point, the evidence on this photo

Image

the left side is untreated and the right yes ... we do not see too many differences at first glance, but ,the weathering is present (less obvious in the picture)
the roof and the rangefinder are also treated

Image

Image

a picture of "far" or we see better the weathered

Image

it is less "marked" that on the hull

best regards
Nicolas
User avatar
blacman
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:02 am
Location: Poland, Wroclaw

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by blacman »

great... :thumbs_up_1:
looking for more!
...in my shipyard...
Image
User avatar
dafi
Posts: 1006
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 am
Location: Ludwigsburg/Germany
Contact:

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by dafi »

It could be wonderful as always ...

... if you would have not missed an ejection mark!
Bildschirmfoto 2015-09-06 um 12.49.44.png
Bildschirmfoto 2015-09-06 um 12.49.44.png (191.2 KiB) Viewed 946 times
Deeply disappointed, infid�lement Daniel
To Victory and beyond ...
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=99050&start=60

See also our german forum for the age of Sail and History:
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com
EJFoeth
Posts: 2936
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by EJFoeth »

It's a though crowd :smallsmile:
marijn van gils
Posts: 2750
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:24 am
Location: Belgium

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by marijn van gils »

dafi wrote:It could be wonderful as always ...

... if you would have not missed an ejection mark!
Yes! And that awful overspray on the inside top of the bridge! :)
But I'm sure both will be covered from view by other pieces, no?

Good to see things slowly coming together now. It already looks beautiful now, and the result will be spectacular!

Marijn
User avatar
LE BOSCO
Posts: 2261
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Paris France

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by LE BOSCO »

HI Guys :wave_1:
thanks a lot blacman and EJFoeth
:sorry: no error is forgiven when one is surrounded by perfectionists full of talent :-D
I still have a lot to learn for to be on your levels :smallsmile:
Dan, I found something for to hide my unforgivable error .....a funnel top

Image

hope this to be discreet :wink_1:
Marjin ,for the awful overspray on the inside top of the bridge.. my Richelieu goes entirely to the pickling ,and I redone my paint :smallsmile:

thank again to you for your messages
regards
nicolas
User avatar
MartinJQuinn
Posts: 8601
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:40 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by MartinJQuinn »

LE BOSCO wrote:I also realized that I missed two details on the "mast" that serves as an axis of rotation of rangefinder !
indeed it has under the two horizontal arms , are present two speaker (red arrows)
If they actually work, I'm quittin' the hobby! :heh:
Martin

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery
ModelMonkey
Model Monkey
Model Monkey
Posts: 4126
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by ModelMonkey »

If the rangefinder does not rotate, it may be a polarity problem with the motor. I recommend an electron-microscopic inspection to be sure the red cable goes to the red socket and the black cable goes to the black socket.

The rest of the model looks good.

:cool_2:
Have fun, Monkey around. TM

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey™ on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
User avatar
LE BOSCO
Posts: 2261
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Paris France

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by LE BOSCO »

ModelMonkey wrote: I recommend an electron-microscopic inspection to be sure the red cable goes to the red socket and the black cable goes to the black socket.......:
your are hard with me ModelMonkey ...nobody had noticed :smallsmile:
Martin sorry ,I dont understand your answer :sorry: my English is so bad :oops:
cheers
Nicolas
EJFoeth
Posts: 2936
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: 1/350 RICHELIEU Dakar 1940-41

Post by EJFoeth »

Nothing bad :heh: If people misbehave I'll let you know
Post Reply

Return to “Works in Progress”