Calling all Yamato (大和) and Musashi (武蔵) fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
- chuck
- Posts: 3384
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
- Location: equidistant to everywhere
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
But blanked over, which was not done until 1943. The October 1941 photos of the ship running trial shows all portholes open.
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
The portholes on the 1941 1/500 IJN Yamato by Fujimi are open. Complete with eyebrows.
Blanked over porholes does not have eyebrows.
I dont know why you insist on that...
Blanked over porholes does not have eyebrows.
I dont know why you insist on that...
- ZALADIS
- Posts: 119
- Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:37 am
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Hello
I wonder if some very kind person could please help me.
I am building my Tamiya 1/700 Yamato and enjoying every minute of it,I am modelling her with her wooden decks darkened with the soot mixture I have read about,but weathering it too.
My question is,would this soot mixture added to the wooden decks have been painted over the flat area between the rear main turret and catapults aswell? I have seen a number of models of her with the decks darkened but all models show the quarter deck untouched but the aerial photos we see of her with darkened decks seem to show this area to be dark also..
Thank you in advance....

I wonder if some very kind person could please help me.
I am building my Tamiya 1/700 Yamato and enjoying every minute of it,I am modelling her with her wooden decks darkened with the soot mixture I have read about,but weathering it too.
My question is,would this soot mixture added to the wooden decks have been painted over the flat area between the rear main turret and catapults aswell? I have seen a number of models of her with the decks darkened but all models show the quarter deck untouched but the aerial photos we see of her with darkened decks seem to show this area to be dark also..
Thank you in advance....
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
The deck was a dark shade of gray/concrete gray, this photo will help you, I hope:


- chuck
- Posts: 3384
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
- Location: equidistant to everywhere
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
No, they only have eyebrows on those few portholes left open after 1943, all the rest are blanked off. The the pictcure of the bow:Atma wrote:The portholes on the 1941 1/500 IJN Yamato by Fujimi are open. Complete with eyebrows.
Blanked over porholes does not have eyebrows.
I dont know why you insist on that...
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10155426a2/20/2
They evidently didn't modify the tooling for the hull. You need to drill out several hundred portholes. The tip of the bow near the bow crest also suggest poor fit. But no biggy.
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
- ZALADIS
- Posts: 119
- Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:37 am
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Atma wrote:The deck was a dark shade of gray/concrete gray, this photo will help you, I hope:
Hi Atma
Thank you so much ,that model certainly is incredible and I very much admire it,but I only stumbled across this image today on the web...

If you look at the quaterdeck Im almost tentatively leaning towards the colouration being added to this area as well. What do you think?
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
The model of IJN Yamato is from 1945 period, and digital photo of IJN Yamato is from 1944.
Well it could be that the aircraft deck at 1944 had almost(notice the almost) colour as the rest of the deck.
Well it could be that the aircraft deck at 1944 had almost(notice the almost) colour as the rest of the deck.
- chuck
- Posts: 3384
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
- Location: equidistant to everywhere
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Black and white film reacts to the lightness of different color differently from the human eye, So a lighter blue color may appear as dark as a dark red color in a black and whit print. Exactly which hues would appear darker or lighter in a black and white film compared to human direct visual perception depends on the film. So it is very difficult to reconstruct the exact shade from a black and white photo unless one knows exact while black and white film were originally used.
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Fujimi released a Mitsubishi F1M and Aichi E13A set of floatplanes in 1/500 that can be used for IJN Yamato/IJN Musashi.
Link:http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10158277
Link:http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10158277
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Here is a nice accurate with all latest "trends" 3D image of IJN Yamato during 1945:

And here is the link with more pictures:
http://3dhistory.de/wordpress/?page_id=27
Enjoy !

And here is the link with more pictures:
http://3dhistory.de/wordpress/?page_id=27
Enjoy !
-
Ghostcloak
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:30 am
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Hello. I have built many Pepakura and other paper models. My friend has given me a GPM Yamato 1/200 model for me to build, however, the instructions are in Polish and while the diagrams help, I'd like to be able to read and know exactly what I should do.
I did a lot of searching online and found nothing:
Here's a digital copy of what I was given:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/50655296/GPM- ... IJN-Yamato
Does anyone have an english version of what is said on Page 3? Anyone have any tips, aside from plenty of Xacto knife blades, brush on super glue, and a metric ton of patience?
I appreciate any and all help given. Thank you! 
I did a lot of searching online and found nothing:
Here's a digital copy of what I was given:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/50655296/GPM- ... IJN-Yamato
Does anyone have an english version of what is said on Page 3? Anyone have any tips, aside from plenty of Xacto knife blades, brush on super glue, and a metric ton of patience?
-
ceefood
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:31 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
just wanted to say G'day to everyone here - been lurking for awhile
I have built a 1/700 Tamiya Musashi not bad attempt for long time away from modelling although nothing like you guys have done
current projects/about to start:
about to build 1/700 Shinano with PE
also 1/350 Yamato Tamiya with Lionroar super detail kit & laser cut wood deck in 1945 config
considering a 1/350 Yamato Tamiya in the as built config (favourite config - IMHO more streamlined & less cluttered) possibly add Lionroar super detail kit & laser cut wood deck as well if budget will stretch & depending on how 1945 version works
I have emailed Chuck from here hoping he might provide a list of changes I need to make for it
thanks to everyone for helping so many on here with advice & knowledge
Ceefood
I have built a 1/700 Tamiya Musashi not bad attempt for long time away from modelling although nothing like you guys have done
current projects/about to start:
about to build 1/700 Shinano with PE
also 1/350 Yamato Tamiya with Lionroar super detail kit & laser cut wood deck in 1945 config
considering a 1/350 Yamato Tamiya in the as built config (favourite config - IMHO more streamlined & less cluttered) possibly add Lionroar super detail kit & laser cut wood deck as well if budget will stretch & depending on how 1945 version works
I have emailed Chuck from here hoping he might provide a list of changes I need to make for it
thanks to everyone for helping so many on here with advice & knowledge
Ceefood
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Hello, I like the as build config my self more than the later war.
Fujimi have released a 1941 IJN Yamato in 1/500. You can use those as a reference for example. Also the IJN Musashi in as built config by Tamiya is almost the same as an early war IJN Yamato.
Here is a link to the IJN 1941 Yamato by Fujimi in 1/500, you can browse the instructions, and help your self of what you need to change in your build.
Link:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10155426
Fujimi have released a 1941 IJN Yamato in 1/500. You can use those as a reference for example. Also the IJN Musashi in as built config by Tamiya is almost the same as an early war IJN Yamato.
Here is a link to the IJN 1941 Yamato by Fujimi in 1/500, you can browse the instructions, and help your self of what you need to change in your build.
Link:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10155426
-
ceefood
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:31 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
thx for that - didnt think of using Musashi as my base - still need to remove alot of AA so I can get the wing turrets there
would I have to make my own wing turrets or did someone make some after market ones? - I know I can get barrels through the detail set from Lionroar
would I have to make my own wing turrets or did someone make some after market ones? - I know I can get barrels through the detail set from Lionroar
-
ceefood
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:31 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
just bought
Musashi x2 going to convert one to as built & the other to a 1/350 Shinano though that part will be wayyyyy down track & use the spares to build my as built version eg. 6" turrets
Mogami x1 with cannons (to go with my carrier version I recently bought)
plus 288 Tamiya crew figures
Musashi x2 going to convert one to as built & the other to a 1/350 Shinano though that part will be wayyyyy down track & use the spares to build my as built version eg. 6" turrets
Mogami x1 with cannons (to go with my carrier version I recently bought)
plus 288 Tamiya crew figures
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Sounds promising, good luck ! 
- ZALADIS
- Posts: 119
- Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:37 am
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Hello Everyone
I am building a Tamiya 1/700 Yammy and THOROUGHLY enjoying it am about to begin work on the heavy AA emplacements midships,I have noticed on photos of the ship and various models some curious curved and straight "framing" above the various gun turrets. I would hazard a guess they have something to do with prohibiting the gun crews from firing towards the ships rigging and equipment above,but may be wrong. However I would like to ask if anyone knows if these are available as a photo etch at all,if so from where?
Thank you in advance...
I am building a Tamiya 1/700 Yammy and THOROUGHLY enjoying it am about to begin work on the heavy AA emplacements midships,I have noticed on photos of the ship and various models some curious curved and straight "framing" above the various gun turrets. I would hazard a guess they have something to do with prohibiting the gun crews from firing towards the ships rigging and equipment above,but may be wrong. However I would like to ask if anyone knows if these are available as a photo etch at all,if so from where?
Thank you in advance...
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Sadly, no. You need to scratchbuild from brass rod or styrene strip.
- ZALADIS
- Posts: 119
- Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:37 am
- chuck
- Posts: 3384
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
- Location: equidistant to everywhere
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Let's see if the new tamiya 350 Yamato remembers those frames
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.