Calling all Yamato (大和) and Musashi (武蔵) fans

Battleships and Battlecruisers of all nations and eras.
BB and BC.

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey

Post Reply
ceefood
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:31 pm

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by ceefood »

Hey Chuck,

do you still have that list of changes from the 1/350 Tamiya Yamato to the as built version you made?
if so could I get a copy please
any hints or tips would be appreciated too

thanks in advance Cee
User avatar
chuck
Posts: 3384
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
Location: equidistant to everywhere

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by chuck »

No, it was lost in a hard drive change.

But the main items are:
1. The hawsepipe openings are very wrong. On the hull side they are much higher up, almost touching the deck edge, and on deck, there are prominent elevated chain ramp that the anchor chain rans over before going into hawsepipes.

2. The tip of the stern is wrong. The transom is vertical, not slanted.

3. The boat tube doors on either of the hull are not constant with recent research. They are more like hatches.

4. The deck ventilators behind the breakwater are 2store affaires, not the single mushroom vent depicted by tamiya. Also, the vents straddle the breakwater, nit sitting behind the break water.

5. There should be a central vision slit on the conning tower.

6. The sides of the lower superstructure slants inward at a considerable angle, not almost vertical like tamiya depicted. Basically tamiya seems to have no idea what the shape of the lower superstructure was, and seem to have guessed and inferred from a few photos offering poor views of this area. If you are building Yamato as she was first completed, it would be better to completely rebuild from scratch the entire lower superstructure up to the level of the base of the funnel using AOTS as reference

7. The base of the tower bridge slopes outwards at the same angle as lower structure and meets the sides of the lower superstructure.

8. The details around the flag signal platform at the rear of bridge tower is incorrect. The platform itself extends too far out. Basically when Yamato was first finished,she had a fairly narrow platform with faired in support underneath. Later the platform was extended, but the extension was simply cantilevered out without support underneath. Tamiya seem to thing the entire extension was faired in like the original platform.

9. The bumps near the top of the bridge tower are actually small balconies.

10. The detailed shape of the big range finder on the rear tower is not quite right

11. The base of the rear big range finder lacks the stiffening braces needed to match latest reconstruction.

It would help a lot if you get some good references like AOTS, and super illustrated, Yamato.



7.
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
ceefood
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:31 pm

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by ceefood »

thats a shame about HDD but thanks for what you have provided
I have AOTS but not the super illustrated

never having doing scratch build before what did you use or more to the poitn what should I use to reconstruct superstructure etc from where I will have to cut away to extras?
User avatar
chuck
Posts: 3384
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
Location: equidistant to everywhere

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by chuck »

Hmmm, I will start brief,and if you want more detailed explanation on any point, I will provide those, otherwise this could become very long winded as there are many modifications needed.

I used evergreen and plastistruct cards to remodel the lower superstructure. If you are building Yamato in 1941 you will need to cut away all the AA positions on her deck as she carried only 8 triple 25mm mounts in the superstructure in the beginning. This is fairly straight forward.

You also need to get rid of the bases of the lower 5" guns as those weren't carried in 1941. This would leave big holes in the deck which you need to fill.

The superstructure base tamiya integrated into the deck is all wrong. All you can save is the forward armed conning tower and the part under the rear rangefinder tower. The top of surface of the superstructure is useable and can be left as is, both sides between the conning tower and aft rangefinder base needs to be cut away. This would leav a tapping hole through the middle o the superstructure base and through the deck.

I first cut out pieces of 1.5mm styrene to fill all the holes I created in the deck. Then I used AOTS as a reference, cut interior superstructure bulkheads out of 1.5 mm stryren sheets to get the right tumble home angle to the superstructure side. I used enough bulkheads sp the there is one for each superstructure transverse section drawing in AOTS.

Now it's just a matter of covering up the sides o superstructure with 0.5 mm styrene sheets.

Take care to note the superstructure side has a shallow cutout to accommodate 6" turret, and you need to fashion new ventilators and supports for upper tier 5" guns.

Ask me some more specific questions and I will try to answer then in greater detail.
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
ceefood
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:31 pm

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by ceefood »

Thx Chuck - it will take awhile before I start this project but once I do I will ask questions of you if you dont mind
I am actually using the 1/350 tamiya Musashi as it looked closer to 1941 version than the Yamato kit was - less cutting & filling I guessed/hoped
User avatar
chuck
Posts: 3384
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
Location: equidistant to everywhere

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by chuck »

The difference would be minimal. Yamato has a few extra 25 mm guns near the deck edge, that's all. The bulk of superstructure modification needed would be the same for the two kits.
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
ceefood
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:31 pm

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by ceefood »

that I understand - but thanks for reply - apart from having slightly less work I managed to buy it cheaper too

what did you do for anchor chain?
unfortunately to Lionroar kit RS3501 does not include anchor chain like the version it replaced
I can find stores selling chain but they sell links per inch & not sure how many links per inch I would need for 1/350 scale Yamato - was hoping you might have solved this problem already
User avatar
redoctober27
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by redoctober27 »

Hey Guys, I was wondering about Musashi's linoleum strips on the back aircraft deck. I have seen some pictures and they seem to show these strips running strait up and down, unlike Yamato's that runs outwards to the side. The reason Im ciruios about this is because I bought Blue Stars Admirals wood deck for my Musashi which also comes with the PE for the aircraft deck. I have also bought the Blue Stars Admirals wood deck for my Yamato and its linoleum strips on the aircraft deck fit and look just right. But the Blue Stars Admirals Musashi's linoleum on the aircraft deck don't really fit and that seem under sized and short. were they ever changed to look like Yamatos or were they removed? I have seen pics of Yamatos linoleum strips on the back aircraft deck during the battle of leyte, but no clear pics of the back of Musashi. All in all im wondering is Blue Stars Admirals Musashi's linoleum strips accurate? Im trying to make Musashi in her 1944 October leyte gulf fit.
User avatar
chuck
Posts: 3384
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
Location: equidistant to everywhere

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by chuck »

ceefood wrote:that I understand - but thanks for reply - apart from having slightly less work I managed to buy it cheaper too

what did you do for anchor chain?
unfortunately to Lionroar kit RS3501 does not include anchor chain like the version it replaced
I can find stores selling chain but they sell links per inch & not sure how many links per inch I would need for 1/350 scale Yamato - was hoping you might have solved this problem already
I bought chains from model railroad store. I used the 20 link per inch chain for anchor chain, and 40 link per inch for anchor stopper chain.

I also bought scale locomotive detail grill to cover some of the ventilation ducts that I scratch built because tamiya either forgot them or had them in a late configuration unsuitable for 1941
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
User avatar
Atma
Posts: 3134
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Atma »

Both Hobby Link Japan and Hobby Search have upload pictures of the new Tamiya;s IJN Yamato in 1/350:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10164208
http://www.hlj.com/product/tamsp-04
Enjoy !
mermaid
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by mermaid »

I think it is looks a bit too plain. Improved lips and hull plating is noticable. P.E. lattice is nice. If the model depicts it on its final sortie, would the deck colour be near black?

I somehow expected more from that release.
ceefood
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:31 pm

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by ceefood »

looks nice - as much as I would like to get this I already have enough & not enough money to buy another
User avatar
Atma
Posts: 3134
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Atma »

mermaid wrote:I think it is looks a bit too plain. Improved lips and hull plating is noticable. P.E. lattice is nice. If the model depicts it on its final sortie, would the deck colour be near black?

I somehow expected more from that release.
The colour is not important, you can paint the ship pink if you like, the importnat thing is that we will have at least for the first time in 1/350 the most accurate IJN Yamato.
The detail of the new IJN Yamato from Tamiya in 1/350 is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G !
They even have removable barbettes, 46 cm projectiles
Not only does the model offer a high level of accuracy, it also includes features such as turret barbettes which have never been recreated in previous models of this ship.
Simply put, Tamiya offer a new standard in shipmodeling.
User avatar
dsk
Posts: 641
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by dsk »

Per the Hobby Search website:
- Based on the latest historical research, as well as previous models in life that can be reproduced without the turret base
Reproducible.
- When the final figure significantly enhanced anti-aircraft weapon is compelling.
- Tower or gun turret and parts to support the base of the cylindrical portion.
- The hull is fine ?Shimashita joint representation.
- With two oversized sheets etched parts.
- Choose the specifications of the hull and waterline Forouhar.
- Please Experience the pinnacle of the model ship.
- Making fun, making answer, fidelity, sense of precision and scale the heights of the model flagship model
Is.
So now I know where Yoda went..... :thinking:
User avatar
Timmy C
Posts: 12473
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Timmy C »

Tamiya's English site has the full details without needing to wade through the Engrish :) http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/ ... /index.htm
De quoi s'agit-il?
User avatar
chuck
Posts: 3384
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
Location: equidistant to everywhere

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by chuck »

Atma wrote:The detail of the new IJN Yamato from Tamiya in 1/350 is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G !
They even have removable barbettes, 46 cm projectiles
Not only does the model offer a high level of accuracy, it also includes features such as turret barbettes which have never been recreated in previous models of this ship.
.

So thoughtful of Tamiya to make it easier to depict Yamato's shattered hulk laying on the sea floor, with turrets fallen out on the sea floor and barbettes empty gaping tubes.

:whistle:
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
User avatar
Timmy C
Posts: 12473
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Timmy C »

...Chuck, that's not your usual position!
De quoi s'agit-il?
User avatar
chuck
Posts: 3384
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
Location: equidistant to everywhere

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by chuck »

Sorry, I was channeling Werner. :big_grin:

But I do think a working turret on a 1/350 kit is a bit of unnecessary show off, especially if it comes at the price of making the blast bags inaccurate. 1/350 scale is too small for interior detail.p
Ppx

Much better to produce a, say 1/72 scale turret with more working parts and a lot more detail, designed to be opened up for viewing of the interior.
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
guest

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by guest »

could someone please explain the tower above the crane? The new kit is missing from the pictures posted, why?
Thanks
User avatar
chuck
Posts: 3384
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
Location: equidistant to everywhere

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by chuck »

guest wrote:could someone please explain the tower above the crane? The new kit is missing from the pictures posted, why?
Thanks
The tower above the crane was there solely to keep antenna aerial and dressing lines clear of the crane. During her last mission, the antenna aerial, dressing line, and tower were removed to clear AA arc.
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
Post Reply

Return to “Battleships”