Chuck - Thank you very much for that enlightening post. I didn't know about the difference in torpedo types used. Quite right, Musashi survived for 9 hours no doubt because she was holed pretty evenly on both sides, whereas the hits on Yamato were mainly to port and designed to capsize her. the design flaw weakness in the seam between the upper and lower halves of her torpedo belt didn't help matters any. (As an aside, I recall reading some credible speculation that USS Skate hit Yamato with 2 torpedoes rather than 1 in 1943, which would have been more consistent with the amount of flooding caused. In any event that attack indeed exposed the flaw in the design of the armor belt that could not be fixed before the end of the war.)
Based on what I've read, I still think that the number of bomb hits on Yamato was in the same range as on Musashi, if not even more; your torpedo analysis is quite logical, but I still lean towards believing that the number was closer to 20 than to 10, as indicated by the debriefing of survivors. (How many of the 6 final torpedoes from Yorktown's flight actually detonated can never be known exactly, but based on Yoshida's report that it was a much more significant detonation than previously experienced - knocking him off his feet and sending geysers up on both sides of the ship - we can be pretty certain it was several.)
In any event, you are right in pointing out that it would not have taken more than 5-6 well-placed torpedoes to sink her - the only effect of the additional fish was to speed up the inevitable.
As an aside, I wonder how many torpedo planes were involved on April 7 1945 versus how many attacked Center Force in October 1944 when Musashi was sunk? Because if the number was similar, it would stand to reason that the damage inflicted would have been similar as well - particularly as Yamato was the only big target on 4/7/45....
In any event, Morrison's account of the operation would also indicate that the reported number of bombs and torpedoes that hit Yamato in the last attack, when she was basically a sitting duck, was well-over the oft quoted numbers...
