Page 2 of 4

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:11 pm
by Christian Bruer
Guido wrote:I plan to apply another coat of dull clear coat, which should blend the dirt effect of the wash with the background. I hope it will.
Hi Guido,
well done so far :cool_1:
Guido my friend, try this; when the oil color is dry enough highlight the raised areas of the hull by drybrushing it with the base color +some white. Also do a bit of drybrushing around each bulley and in the middle of the hull. That will give your model a more realistic 3D effect and brings your ship to live!

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:34 am
by Guido
Thanks, Dave and Christian!

Of cause highlighting is yet to come. :thumbs_up_1:

Guido

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:55 am
by Guido
Gentlemen �
I am crawling on with my build.
I decided continuing the fishing gear. To get all lengths of the attachments right it is necessary to install the front gear in place. To do so I fiddle the part into place and use Humbrol�s Maskol again to temporarily fix it. Then I attach the forward supports, using styrene glue to permanently attach it to the gear. Having selected fitting styrene rods as spacers, I go on to permanently fix the horizontal bars; first at the front, then at the sides. With everything in good position I use Maskol to attach the front supports to the roof of the wheelhouse to ensure everything stays in position while drying. Of cause the spacers may be removed now. I attach platform at the top and the access ladder, while the part is still in place.

Image


When the styrene joints are sufficiently dry, I remove the part from the model for painting. It seemed easier from me to attach the top railing only now.

Image


Another prominent subassembly is a big basket holding net/line floaters it is positioned on the port side of the weather deck, right aft of the flying deck.

Image


Next will the two outriggers on either side of the wheelhouse.
After that there�s just small stuff left to do- �and the big wave.

Cheers,
Guido

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:40 pm
by Christian Bruer
Hi Guido,

really amazing, mmhhh, I can smell the ocean and the fish when watching your photos :heh:

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:00 pm
by LE BOSCO
Hi Guido

Really very very beautiful!!great job!
"bravo"
le bosco

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:00 pm
by reigels
Guido wrote:To do so I fiddle the part into place and use Humbrol�s Maskol again to temporarily fix it.
LOL - I thought it looked like you were using PVC primer. Nice scratchbuild!

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:57 am
by Finland's Jonne
Awesome!

Nice stratchbuilt! Interesting to following your work in future!

Joe

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:30 am
by Guido
Gentlemen-

Thank you very much for your continued support and interest in my project. Nothing spurs me more than all those pads on my back! :big_grin:

I hope I 'll be able to sit down to finish the outriggers tonight, which will leave me - next to some small bits and pieces with the general setup and the wave. I was pondering decisions and would like to have a feedback from you.
I think that most of you have seen the movie and remember, that the Andrea Gail had almost ripped off her port outrigger as can be seen in the pic that the Cadman posted. I think it is a CGI screen shot.

Image

As well the port side windows of the wheelhouse were crushed by the "bird� (i.e. stabilizing paravane) flying from that outrigger. The crew managed to board up these in the dramatic action. In due process of this action the crew managed (with much ado) to lash down the come-lose outrigger pointing aft, as well. Quite certainly this bit is artistic license and was filmed to add to the suspense of the flick.
I am not quite certain if I should depict it like that as it renders the boat pretty �unbalanced�. Quite obviously the production designer thought the same and decided on a little retouch for the DVD cover:

Image

�Hummmh�

It does make for a nicer boat set-up. Don�t you think?

So what should I do: Outrigger flying or lashed aft to the weather deck?

What say you, oarsmen?

Guido

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:45 am
by Cadman
I say lash one one to the deck and let the other fly.

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:04 pm
by JIM BAUMANN
Very impressive Guido!

Good--innovative and fine work on an unusual and neglected subject!

:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Jim Baumann

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:35 pm
by Dirk
Hi Guido,

when there is someone who is able to model a huge realistic looking wave then this is you.
You proved it already with your U-217 !

Dirk

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:35 pm
by Guido
Gentlemen-

You make me blush!

I think I will go with the damage received as in the movie. That�s we can hold this build against, so I�ll stick to what was provided by the film makers.
Thank you for your many kind comments here on the board and by private message.

---

AS announced I went on to build the outriggers. They turn out to be the nastiest part of the build so far: 5 beams and 5 bracings can�t be that hard to build, if it wasn�t for their curved shape. Ok, here is the start

Image

It was enough to make me mad, so I turned to weathering and dry brushing the boat.

Image

When coming back to the outriggers I eventually didn�t like to continue them so I went to town with the wave.
From humble beginnings�

Image

� to a styrofoam sandwich�

Image

� and on to something big.

Image


Nightynight!

Guido

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:49 pm
by Dave Rowe
It 's shaping up very nicely Guido, looking forward to the next update.

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:58 pm
by Rui Matos
Looking very good, Guido!
Don't give up on those outriggers...

Cheers,
Rui

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:52 pm
by Guido
Can you say "Splashhhhh"?

Image


:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

Guido

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:56 pm
by Lucky
Yeahhhh :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
Bravo Guido :woo_hoo:

Ciao :wave_1: :wave_1:
Luciano :thumbs_up_1:

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:10 pm
by Timmy C
Oooo yes!

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:16 pm
by JIM BAUMANN
Yep -- that works!

Very very effective technique Mr Hopp!

We shall miss you and your Andrea Gail at Telford...

Jim Baumann :wave_1:

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:21 pm
by Cadman
Oh yeah, that works for me. Very dramatic. I can hardly wait to see the ship running up the wave.

Re: Building Sword Fishing boat Andrea Gail in 1/350

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:41 pm
by Christian Bruer
Hi Guido,

I hope to see "The Wave" in November :cool_2:

But by the way is AG sunken yet? I can't see her on the photo :big_grin:

@Jim, I believe this could be a Best of Show winner in Telford - next year :cool_2: