Calling all Iowa-class (BB-61) fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class fans
I am starting to put the pieces together, built in separate files.
I never realized who prominent the docking keel would be. The Tamyia kit does not have one at all. I've seen some hulls having just a little stub for a docking keel.
But his is what the docking keel from the original plans looks like on a tunnel built from the original plans.
I never realized who prominent the docking keel would be. The Tamyia kit does not have one at all. I've seen some hulls having just a little stub for a docking keel.
But his is what the docking keel from the original plans looks like on a tunnel built from the original plans.
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
- SIBIRIAK-66
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:34 pm
- Location: SIBERIA,NOVOSIBIRSK
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class fans
Thanks, bigjimslade! Rudders is hand make.
-
bizzah
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:42 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class fans
So I am currently in progress building a 1/350 USS Wisconsin using the Pontos conversion set. I had the opportunity to take a tour of the Wisky a few weeks ago, and noticed that the upper levels of the superstructures and exhaust stacks seem to be a different color gray.
It looks to be more of a tan-ish gray. My question to you all is, any idea what color this might be?
It looks to be more of a tan-ish gray. My question to you all is, any idea what color this might be?
-
Sutho
- Posts: 449
- Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:53 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class fans
That paint you are referring to would not be the original colours the ship was in. Probably a protective coat added after decommissioning. I personally modelled my Iowa class in the haze grey from WEM.bizzah wrote:So I am currently in progress building a 1/350 USS Wisconsin using the Pontos conversion set. I had the opportunity to take a tour of the Wisky a few weeks ago, and noticed that the upper levels of the superstructures and exhaust stacks seem to be a different color gray.
It looks to be more of a tan-ish gray. My question to you all is, any idea what color this might be?
- Cliffy B
- Posts: 3125
- Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:55 pm
- Location: Hawaii
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class fans
Bizzah, that is simply faded Haze Gray! Wisky is in need of a full repaint but its been too cold to do ANY exterior painting. Everything that high up will most likely be done later on when she's drydocked but hopefully not that take that long. Everything above the 08 hasn't been painted in MANY years.
From the Main Deck on up to that line you see on the Funnels is fresh Haze Gray that we had done over the Summer.
She looks like a proper navy ship in need of a yard period right now, IE about 30 different shades of Haze Gray and Deck Gray mixed with rust
From the Main Deck on up to that line you see on the Funnels is fresh Haze Gray that we had done over the Summer.
She looks like a proper navy ship in need of a yard period right now, IE about 30 different shades of Haze Gray and Deck Gray mixed with rust
Drawing Board:
1/700 Whiff USS Leyte and escorts 1984
1/700 Whiff USN Modernized CAs 1984
1/700 Whiff ASW Showdown - FFs vs SSGN 1984
Slipway:
1/700 Whiff USN ASW Hunter Killer Group Dio 1984
1/700 Whiff USS Leyte and escorts 1984
1/700 Whiff USN Modernized CAs 1984
1/700 Whiff ASW Showdown - FFs vs SSGN 1984
Slipway:
1/700 Whiff USN ASW Hunter Killer Group Dio 1984
- SIBIRIAK-66
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:34 pm
- Location: SIBERIA,NOVOSIBIRSK
-
Fliger747
- Posts: 5068
- Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 am
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class fans
The keel stub in the tunnel aft is to help support the great weight of turret three, mostly when docked, but may also provide some hull rigidity. Neither the North Carolina's or SODAK's had this feature and indeed were plagued with vibration issues.
Another interesting feature of these great ships!
T
Another interesting feature of these great ships!
T
- BB62vet
- Posts: 3162
- Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
- Location: Mocksville, NC
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class fans
Siberiak66 wrote:
40mm gun tubs on 01 level fwd (as you have shown) are metal decked, not wood.My frands! I have small question. Missouri 1945.
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
- SIBIRIAK-66
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:34 pm
- Location: SIBERIA,NOVOSIBIRSK
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
- Cliffy B
- Posts: 3125
- Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:55 pm
- Location: Hawaii
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class fans
BB62vet wrote:Siberiak66 wrote:40mm gun tubs on 01 level fwd (as you have shown) are metal decked, not wood.My frands! I have small question. Missouri 1945.
Drawing Board:
1/700 Whiff USS Leyte and escorts 1984
1/700 Whiff USN Modernized CAs 1984
1/700 Whiff ASW Showdown - FFs vs SSGN 1984
Slipway:
1/700 Whiff USN ASW Hunter Killer Group Dio 1984
1/700 Whiff USS Leyte and escorts 1984
1/700 Whiff USN Modernized CAs 1984
1/700 Whiff ASW Showdown - FFs vs SSGN 1984
Slipway:
1/700 Whiff USN ASW Hunter Killer Group Dio 1984
-
bizzah
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:42 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class fans
Yikes!! I thought for sure it was a different color paint! Thanks for the info!Cliffy B wrote:Bizzah, that is simply faded Haze Gray! Wisky is in need of a full repaint but its been too cold to do ANY exterior painting. Everything that high up will most likely be done later on when she's drydocked but hopefully not that take that long. Everything above the 08 hasn't been painted in MANY years.
From the Main Deck on up to that line you see on the Funnels is fresh Haze Gray that we had done over the Summer.
She looks like a proper navy ship in need of a yard period right now, IE about 30 different shades of Haze Gray and Deck Gray mixed with rust
Any idea as to when she's scheduled to be drydocked?
- steinerman
- Posts: 489
- Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:33 pm
- Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class fans
OK, now I'm confused. Looking at the photos in Stillwell's book on the Missouri, it looks like the entire gun barrels of the 40mm AA guns are black, yet in the photo that Cliff posted above, just the recoil springs and the muzzle flash suppressors were black and the rest was grey.
I'm ready to paint my guns, but I don't know what to do now. What color were they at the time of the surrender?
I'm ready to paint my guns, but I don't know what to do now. What color were they at the time of the surrender?
Larry Steiner
Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!
Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!
- Cliffy B
- Posts: 3125
- Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:55 pm
- Location: Hawaii
- Contact:
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class fans
The full over head photo (top) is BB-63 on Navy Day 1945 with the Renshaw alongside. The bottom photo is a POSTWAR shot of ONE of the Iowas. I think its the Wisconsin but I can't remember. Hope that helps some.
Drawing Board:
1/700 Whiff USS Leyte and escorts 1984
1/700 Whiff USN Modernized CAs 1984
1/700 Whiff ASW Showdown - FFs vs SSGN 1984
Slipway:
1/700 Whiff USN ASW Hunter Killer Group Dio 1984
1/700 Whiff USS Leyte and escorts 1984
1/700 Whiff USN Modernized CAs 1984
1/700 Whiff ASW Showdown - FFs vs SSGN 1984
Slipway:
1/700 Whiff USN ASW Hunter Killer Group Dio 1984
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class fans
I'm not sure, but I don't think I would use black. I would be more inclined to use gunmetal.steinerman wrote:OK, now I'm confused. Looking at the photos in Stillwell's book on the Missouri, it looks like the entire gun barrels of the 40mm AA guns are black, yet in the photo that Cliff posted above, just the recoil springs and the muzzle flash suppressors were black and the rest was grey.
I'm ready to paint my guns, but I don't know what to do now. What color were they at the time of the surrender?
-
Fliger747
- Posts: 5068
- Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 am
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class fans
Of interest on page 131 of Stillwell, the tubs on the 01 Surrender Deck are planked, one can see because the mount has been removed. Page 120 postwar shows black barrels, page 105, gray barrels, At the day of the surrender they appear dark gray or black. Stillwell p 54, 65,66.
-
Plastic Habit
- Posts: 272
- Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:44 am
- Location: San Diego, CA
- steinerman
- Posts: 489
- Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:33 pm
- Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class fans
Hey, Thanks everybody!!!! I knew I could count on you to come through! I think I'll take Tom's advice though and either use gunmetal or a really dark grey.
Larry Steiner
Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!
Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class fans
So I could no longer resist and broke down and bought the 1/200 kit of the Missouri. Debating over whether or not to purchase the Pontos super detailing set for it. After comparing the kit and its included PE, to the photos of the Pontos set installed on the model in the Pontos thread about the set in the manufactures section of the forum, I don't really see where the Ponto set is needed. All it appears to do is replace the kits existing brass and plastic parts with more brass, and doesn't really improve anything on the model. Aside from the wooden deck and a few other goodies, pretty much all of which involve the anti-aircraft guns and the ammunition racks in the gun tubs, the Pontos set to me looks to be redundant and unnecessary. Since like many others who have to work with a limited amount of funds available, this does not appear to be a very wise allocation of those funds. Please tell me if I am missing something here about the Pontos or similar detail-up sets.
In this scale and level of molded detail which is really nice, one should be able to realistically paint the wooden deck (should have blue stain on it anyway) and not need to use a stick on wooden replacement like we have to do with older models that don't have realistic planking molded in.
To me it looks like the areas of the model which do need extra super detailing the attention are the aircraft guns, both the 40mm and 20mm, and the 40mm gun tubs which do need ammunition racks inside of them. I know that Eduard makes them but I have no idea how many sets are needed to equip the whole model.
The 16 inch guns look a little off to me and I could see going with some brass ones.
But it seems to me that would be a better allocation of one's modeling budget.
I would appreciate some input about this from those of us here that are building this beast in 1/200.
In this scale and level of molded detail which is really nice, one should be able to realistically paint the wooden deck (should have blue stain on it anyway) and not need to use a stick on wooden replacement like we have to do with older models that don't have realistic planking molded in.
To me it looks like the areas of the model which do need extra super detailing the attention are the aircraft guns, both the 40mm and 20mm, and the 40mm gun tubs which do need ammunition racks inside of them. I know that Eduard makes them but I have no idea how many sets are needed to equip the whole model.
The 16 inch guns look a little off to me and I could see going with some brass ones.
But it seems to me that would be a better allocation of one's modeling budget.
I would appreciate some input about this from those of us here that are building this beast in 1/200.