No, your (BB-63) waterline is lower. It was just a representation more for the sake of example than for accuracy but I knew someone might take issue with it. Again, I was going off my photo. See link of BB-61.steinerman wrote:
Not bad, but your bow is way off.
Calling all Iowa-class (BB-61) fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
- Harquebus
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:33 am
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
~Harq
- Harquebus
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:33 am
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
My drawing is pretty crappy but I tried to indicate that not all of the plating lines are equally spaced nor perfectly straight and some seem to converge before sort of blending in or going flush with the surrounding steel. I'd be willing to make a visit to Norfolk VA, stand on the quay and take successive photos of the starboard hull of BB-64 as I inched along to the stern. Then I could "knit" them all together....and profit!Thomas E. Johnson wrote:
That is pretty close to what I came up with. The results of which are visible here for everyone's comments.
https://goo.gl/photos/SBuKGwXcs1La6sjd7
But that's not a bad effort at all. At this juncture I am also not as concerned with the vertical plate lines or welds as I'm sure that's a documentation nightmare of epic proportions.
~Harq
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
That may well be, but I measured out where to place the template each time as instructed in Eduard's instructions, then placed the template, drew in where the plates were supposed to go, then looked at photos. Photos do pretty much show plating in the spots where the template as you end up locating them. So if it's off it isn't so by much, and I'm not going to worry about it.BB62vet wrote:T.E.J. wrote -Personally, I agree with the dimensions taken off WISCONSIN as described in the photo and will lay out my hull accordingly. I don't believe Eduard's instruction are completely correct.I placed the plates according to Eduards instructions.
https://goo.gl/photos/LuCEZXtk3cb5FsEn9
-
lgmccauley
- Posts: 156
- Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm
Calling all Iowa class fans
I original posted this in the Scracthbuild Forum, but unfortunately I received no replies. I know numerous contributors to this forum have built an Iowa and I sure they will have the information I need.
I am currently building a 1/192 Missouri and am trying to find a putty that I could use for foring the aft 40mm gun sponsons and the bow anchor bolsters. I used something in the past for similar situations, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was or even if it would still be available today.
Larry
I am currently building a 1/192 Missouri and am trying to find a putty that I could use for foring the aft 40mm gun sponsons and the bow anchor bolsters. I used something in the past for similar situations, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was or even if it would still be available today.
Larry
- BB62vet
- Posts: 3162
- Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
- Location: Mocksville, NC
Re: Calling All Iowa Fans
Larry wrote:
Sorry, but I don't often read the scratchbuild forum. I am currently bashing/scratching a 1967-68 version of NEW JERSEY from the 1:200 Trumpeter kit. As for your question, I can make a couple suggestions, but whether it is the right one, might be up for debate:
1) You could purchase the 2 step resin casting materials from Micro Mark (online) in which you mold your parts from A & B, let harden, remove from mold, clean up and so forth. I've used this material for making small life raft packs for my project. IF MEASURED OUT CORRECTLY, the two parts will give a good hard finished plastic - but, that's the key - measuring & mixing properly for good results.
2) And this suggestion may be overkill - Bondo General Purpose Plastic Putty (#20052). It too is a 2 step method that gives a good hard plastic when cured. But, a 1.9 lb can (you can get this at Lowe's Home Improvement) is a bit much for those small parts. Anyhow, mixing the putty with the included hardener properly and then molding might also do the trick. If you were to mix this and put into a small round or square mold for curing, you could then shape as necessary and adhere to the hull. I'm actually using this material for filling the open hull cavity where the kit hull needs to be ground down and reshaped correctly. So, I needed a couple cans worth of material right off the bat.
I would suggest Squadron Shop White Stuff Plastic Putty, but I'm not sure that it would actually harden into a good solid mass for further shaping and finishing.
Hope this helps!
Hank
Larry,I original posted this in the Scracthbuild Forum, but unfortunately I received no replies. I know numerous contributors to this forum have built an Iowa and I sure they will have the information I need.
I am currently building a 1/192 Missouri and am trying to find a putty that I could use for forming the aft 40mm gun sponsons and the bow anchor bolsters. I used something in the past for similar situations, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was or even if it would still be available today.
Sorry, but I don't often read the scratchbuild forum. I am currently bashing/scratching a 1967-68 version of NEW JERSEY from the 1:200 Trumpeter kit. As for your question, I can make a couple suggestions, but whether it is the right one, might be up for debate:
1) You could purchase the 2 step resin casting materials from Micro Mark (online) in which you mold your parts from A & B, let harden, remove from mold, clean up and so forth. I've used this material for making small life raft packs for my project. IF MEASURED OUT CORRECTLY, the two parts will give a good hard finished plastic - but, that's the key - measuring & mixing properly for good results.
2) And this suggestion may be overkill - Bondo General Purpose Plastic Putty (#20052). It too is a 2 step method that gives a good hard plastic when cured. But, a 1.9 lb can (you can get this at Lowe's Home Improvement) is a bit much for those small parts. Anyhow, mixing the putty with the included hardener properly and then molding might also do the trick. If you were to mix this and put into a small round or square mold for curing, you could then shape as necessary and adhere to the hull. I'm actually using this material for filling the open hull cavity where the kit hull needs to be ground down and reshaped correctly. So, I needed a couple cans worth of material right off the bat.
I would suggest Squadron Shop White Stuff Plastic Putty, but I'm not sure that it would actually harden into a good solid mass for further shaping and finishing.
Hope this helps!
Hank
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
-
Fliger747
- Posts: 5068
- Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 am
Re: Calling all Iowa class fans
I still have a 1:192 Missouri in finishing touches stage while I have worked on Alaska. The Anchor bolsters and hawse lips on the Forecastle were cast with bondo in a plain rubber mold from masters. Epoxy also works for small castings. The aft 40 mm tub sponsons were made from sheet styrene much in the same way the originals were plated.
Cheers: T
Cheers: T
- ArizonaBB39
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:29 pm
- Location: Tempe, Arizona
- Contact:
Re: Calling all Iowa class fans
Milliput sculpting putty, like what figure modelers use, is what I think you're looking for.
-
lgmccauley
- Posts: 156
- Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Thanks for the info guys. I knew you would come through for me.
Larry
Larry
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I remember reading in another thread but I don't remember which, that some of the watertight doors and hatches along the bulkheads on the 1/200 Missouri are of misrepresented types. Does anybody have a list of which ones need to be corrected to what, so I know which PE ones to put in their place? I don't have the floating drydock blueprints (to money tight to purchase them at this time), just the drawings and Stillwell's book.
- steinerman
- Posts: 489
- Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:33 pm
- Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Tom, I just sent you a PM.Thomas E. Johnson wrote:I remember reading in another thread but I don't remember which, that some of the watertight doors and hatches along the bulkheads on the 1/200 Missouri are of misrepresented types. Does anybody have a list of which ones need to be corrected to what, so I know which PE ones to put in their place? I don't have the floating drydock blueprints (to money tight to purchase them at this time), just the drawings and Stillwell's book.
Larry Steiner
Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!
Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!
-
lgmccauley
- Posts: 156
- Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm
Calling all Iowa class fans
On page 88 of Stillwell's book on the Missouri, the tops of the 5" mounts are painted haze gray as opposed to deck blue. Was this done at Pearl Harbor prior to her trip back to the USA, or if not when? It also shows a set of steps just to the right of mount 53 (forgive me if I got the number wrong). Would they have been installed temporarily for the Navy Day review?
Larry
Larry
- Harquebus
- Posts: 138
- Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:33 am
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
It would be nice to have that info shared to this thread, if it wouldn't be too much to ask.steinerman wrote:Tom, I just sent you a PM.Thomas E. Johnson wrote:I remember reading in another thread but I don't remember which, that some of the watertight doors and hatches along the bulkheads on the 1/200 Missouri are of misrepresented types. Does anybody have a list of which ones need to be corrected to what, so I know which PE ones to put in their place? I don't have the floating drydock blueprints (to money tight to purchase them at this time), just the drawings and Stillwell's book.
~Harq
-
bigjimslade
- Posts: 463
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I have the tabular data for the hull plating. Except for the top of the sheer strake I have never bothered to pull it out.Harquebus wrote:Since there's all this concern about hull plating lines and detail and the fact that it exists and would be visible in the larger scales, I would propose a joint mission to... map the IOWA class plate lines.
-
lgmccauley
- Posts: 156
- Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 pm
Re: Calling all Iowa class fans
I bought some of the Milliput and it worked great. I like the fact that you have about 1-2 hours of working time and you can smooth it out with a wet finger.ArizonaBB39 wrote:Milliput sculpting putty, like what figure modelers use, is what I think you're looking for.
Thanks again.
Larry
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I'm wondering how much work it would take to convert 1/200 Missouri into the 1980s version of the ship? I'm thinking that it would not be all that difficult providing Pontos can be persuaded to make a custom wooden deck and the Helo pad, and Shape Ways to make The modern weaponry , and some scratch building.
-
Fliger747
- Posts: 5068
- Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 am
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
My 1:192 scratch project did exactly this, convert my existing somewhat ancient model to an upgraded version. A bigger project than one might imagine, but then I was scratching everything. The advantage was however that I had access to the real ship for many hundreds of photos. BTW, the helo deck itself is not wood.
Hank Strub is in the process of recreating New Jersey during his time in Vietnam Nam.
T
Hank Strub is in the process of recreating New Jersey during his time in Vietnam Nam.
T
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I know he is. With the modern tools that we have today, I still don't think it would be all that difficult. It would be very expensive however, with all of the parts that will have to be 3-D printed and custom etched.Fliger747 wrote:My 1:192 scratch project did exactly this, convert my existing somewhat ancient model to an upgraded version. A bigger project than one might imagine, but then I was scratching everything. The advantage was however that I had access to the real ship for many hundreds of photos. BTW, the helo deck itself is not wood.
Hank Strub is in the process of recreating New Jersey during his time in Vietnam Nam.
T
And yeah I know the Helo deck isn't wood. It would have to be custom etched also, along with all of the deck area that has tie down brackets.
I think it is very doable, but like I said, and extremely expensive project.
I just completed the 1/350 1991 Missouri. Hope to get some pictures up on here soon.
-
AluminiumCloud
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:00 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Is RandyM still active? I am unable to contact him via PM as I am new to the forum and that feature is currently disabled. I would like to inquire about his hull correction for the 1/200 Trumpeter Missouri... His work on this correction was featured on page 89 of this thread. I have reason to travel through San Diego on a few occasions each year and would be interested in commissioning a 3D print of his correction for bow and stern, depending on the cost involved.
RandyM, if you happen to read this feel free to PM me if you are able. Failing that, if someone could PM him on my behalf directing him to this post, it would be greatly appreciated!!
Regards
Dan
RandyM, if you happen to read this feel free to PM me if you are able. Failing that, if someone could PM him on my behalf directing him to this post, it would be greatly appreciated!!
Regards
Dan
- BB62vet
- Posts: 3162
- Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
- Location: Mocksville, NC
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Dan wrote:
You'll have to do it the old fashioned way like I'm having to do also - modifying it by hand!
Hank
As of last fall the short answer is - NO - his mod proved to be extremely expensive and he did not pursue it. I also was hoping for a positive turn on this, but it hasn't happened.RandyM still active? I am unable to contact him via PM as I am new to the forum and that feature is currently disabled. I would like to inquire about his hull correction for the 1/200 Trumpeter Missouri... His work on this correction was featured on page 89 of this thread. I have reason to travel through San Diego on a few occasions each year and would be interested in commissioning a 3D print of his correction for bow and stern, depending on the cost involved.
You'll have to do it the old fashioned way like I'm having to do also - modifying it by hand!
Hank
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I'm also debating whether or not to try a fix with some Apoxie Scuplt before I start gluing anything top side.BB62vet wrote:Dan wrote:As of last fall the short answer is - NO - his mod proved to be extremely expensive and he did not pursue it. I also was hoping for a positive turn on this, but it hasn't happened.RandyM still active? I am unable to contact him via PM as I am new to the forum and that feature is currently disabled. I would like to inquire about his hull correction for the 1/200 Trumpeter Missouri... His work on this correction was featured on page 89 of this thread. I have reason to travel through San Diego on a few occasions each year and would be interested in commissioning a 3D print of his correction for bow and stern, depending on the cost involved.
You'll have to do it the old fashioned way like I'm having to do also - modifying it by hand!
Hank