Calling all Iowa-class (BB-61) fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
The stairways for Entering/exiting The main gun turrets through the lower hatches would not be in place unless those hatches were open and in use correct?
-
Fliger747
- Posts: 5068
- Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 am
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Stairways? There are/were variously platforms suspended from the turret overhangs such that one could easily bail out or swing oneself into the turret officers booth.
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Ah ok. The MK1 detail set has platforms for turret 2, and ladders for turrets 1 and 2.Fliger747 wrote:Stairways? There are/were variously platforms suspended from the turret overhangs such that one could easily bail out or swing oneself into the turret officers booth.
-
Fliger747
- Posts: 5068
- Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 am
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
A removable short ladder could have been used. I have never seen them installed. Easy enough to pull up into the turret when not in use. When I chepped a litle paint on her in the 60's these hatches were never opened. Hank Stub migh know.
T
T
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I installed the hatches so they are closed. They look to be to small to pull up a ladder inside.Fliger747 wrote:A removable short ladder could have been used. I have never seen them installed. Easy enough to pull up into the turret when not in use. When I chepped a litle paint on her in the 60's these hatches were never opened. Hank Stub migh know.
T
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I would be to afraid any ladders might get knocked off from the underside if the turret rotates, if I did install them.....
- BB62vet
- Posts: 3162
- Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
- Location: Mocksville, NC
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Flinger747 wrote:
Here is Turret Two's hatch on IOWA taken by an acquaintance prior to becoming a museum at LA Ports, etc.: Hank
Turret one is too close to the deck for ladders. Turret two (as already mentioned) had a small platform hanging under the entry hatch, and turret three has a short ladder that is lowered when the hatch is opened. I'll provide a photo showing this ladder from our '68-'69 cruise book next weekend when I'm home - the book is at my shop and right now I'm unable to post from my work computer during the week.A removable short ladder could have been used. I have never seen them installed. Easy enough to pull up into the turret when not in use. When I chipped a little paint on her in the 60's these hatches were never opened. Hank Strub might know.
Here is Turret Two's hatch on IOWA taken by an acquaintance prior to becoming a museum at LA Ports, etc.: Hank
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
-
AluminiumCloud
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:00 pm
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Thank you for your reply. It's hard to move forward on the model knowing how much work I will be putting in, only to neglect the hull. But I am also conscious of messing it up! AH!! Tough choices ahead!As of last fall the short answer is - NO - his mod proved to be extremely expensive and he did not pursue it. I also was hoping for a positive turn on this, but it hasn't happened.
You'll have to do it the old fashioned way like I'm having to do also - modifying it by hand!
Hank
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I'm thinking about trying a fix with some Aves Apoxie Sculpt.AluminiumCloud wrote:Thank you for your reply. It's hard to move forward on the model knowing how much work I will be putting in, only to neglect the hull. But I am also conscious of messing it up! AH!! Tough choices ahead!As of last fall the short answer is - NO - his mod proved to be extremely expensive and he did not pursue it. I also was hoping for a positive turn on this, but it hasn't happened.
You'll have to do it the old fashioned way like I'm having to do also - modifying it by hand!
Hank
- BB62vet
- Posts: 3162
- Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
- Location: Mocksville, NC
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Alum Cloud wrote:
You'll need to come up with a method that is structurally sound, i.e. - materially strong. Either a POB (plank on Bulkhead) as Jason Channell has done or something else to give the hull internal bracing where you are removing the actual hull (and its only structural strength) will work.
I have my own plan in mind and hope it works. Stay tuned...
Glad to have answered your question, sort of. Well, all of us have that on our minds, but it has to be done IMHO. I've been procrastinating now for 4 years while I've worked on the superstructure. Now, it's time to bite the bullet.Thank you for your reply. It's hard to move forward on the model knowing how much work I will be putting in, only to neglect the hull. But I am also conscious of messing it up! AH!! Tough choices ahead!
You'll need to come up with a method that is structurally sound, i.e. - materially strong. Either a POB (plank on Bulkhead) as Jason Channell has done or something else to give the hull internal bracing where you are removing the actual hull (and its only structural strength) will work.
I have my own plan in mind and hope it works. Stay tuned...
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I thought about doing a general reshaping/correction of the skedge Area with some Aves, but now I'm not sure if I want to bother. It is something that most people will never notice, and even the Tamiya hull is wrong, and few people notice or complain about it.BB62vet wrote:Alum Cloud wrote:Glad to have answered your question, sort of. Well, all of us have that on our minds, but it has to be done IMHO. I've been procrastinating now for 4 years while I've worked on the superstructure. Now, it's time to bite the bullet.Thank you for your reply. It's hard to move forward on the model knowing how much work I will be putting in, only to neglect the hull. But I am also conscious of messing it up! AH!! Tough choices ahead!
You'll need to come up with a method that is structurally sound, i.e. - materially strong. Either a POB (plank on Bulkhead) as Jason Channell has done or something else to give the hull internal bracing where you are removing the actual hull (and its only structural strength) will work.
I have my own plan in mind and hope it works. Stay tuned...
-
Fliger747
- Posts: 5068
- Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 am
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
The main issue with the Trumpy hull is that a lot of material needs to be removed, not added.
As to the platform below Turret Two, remember that this turret can have the aft end overhang the main deck, which is a ways down when the turret is trained outboard.
T
As to the platform below Turret Two, remember that this turret can have the aft end overhang the main deck, which is a ways down when the turret is trained outboard.
T
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
With that in mind, I think I'm just going to leave mine as is. I already have the main deck glued down and rudders and propeller shaft brackets installed anyway.Fliger747 wrote:The main issue with the Trumpy hull is that a lot of material needs to be removed, not added.
As to the platform below Turret Two, remember that this turret can have the aft end overhang the main deck, which is a ways down when the turret is trained outboard.
T
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Would any of these ladders be in place or in a stowed position when the hatches are closed and secured?BB62vet wrote:Flinger747 wrote:Turret one is too close to the deck for ladders. Turret two (as already mentioned) had a small platform hanging under the entry hatch, and turret three has a short ladder that is lowered when the hatch is opened. I'll provide a photo showing this ladder from our '68-'69 cruise book next weekend when I'm home - the book is at my shop and right now I'm unable to post from my work computer during the week.A removable short ladder could have been used. I have never seen them installed. Easy enough to pull up into the turret when not in use. When I chipped a little paint on her in the 60's these hatches were never opened. Hank Strub might know.
Here is Turret Two's hatch on IOWA taken by an acquaintance prior to becoming a museum at LA Ports, etc.: Hank
- BB62vet
- Posts: 3162
- Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:41 pm
- Location: Mocksville, NC
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Johnson wrote:
Hank
The only ladder (Turret 3) would have been stowed in the turret, as far as I can recall.Would any of these ladders be in place or in a stowed position when the hatches are closed and secured?
Hank
HMS III
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
Mocksville, NC
BB62 vet 68-69
Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Ok. Since I've modeled her with all the hatches closed and secured, I'm proceeding with the mindset that none of the ladders would be in position and visible. I did mount the platforms under the hatches on turret 2.BB62vet wrote:Johnson wrote:The only ladder (Turret 3) would have been stowed in the turret, as far as I can recall.Would any of these ladders be in place or in a stowed position when the hatches are closed and secured?
Hank
- steinerman
- Posts: 489
- Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:33 pm
- Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Greetings Friends,
I have The Floating Drydock's BB63 USS Missouri Plan Book on CD and in studying it, I ran across something I'd like to know.
In several places this document makes reference to "Cooling Tubes" which from their locations, I assume are for the 20mm guns.
Does anyone know the dimensions of these items? The plans show details of the spare barrel tubes for the 20mm guns, but not for these tubes. Any information on them would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I have The Floating Drydock's BB63 USS Missouri Plan Book on CD and in studying it, I ran across something I'd like to know.
In several places this document makes reference to "Cooling Tubes" which from their locations, I assume are for the 20mm guns.
Does anyone know the dimensions of these items? The plans show details of the spare barrel tubes for the 20mm guns, but not for these tubes. Any information on them would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Larry Steiner
Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!
Completed: 1:200 USS Missouri (Monster Mo)
Next project: Definitely NOT another big ship!!
-
Plastic Habit
- Posts: 272
- Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:44 am
- Location: San Diego, CA
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Hey Larry,
I don't have exact dimensions, but here is a pic of them on the SS Jeremiah O'Brien.
I don't have exact dimensions, but here is a pic of them on the SS Jeremiah O'Brien.
-
Thomas E. Johnson
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:12 pm
- Location: Up The Street From Sam Wilson's House
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
I've never noticed those details before.....steinerman wrote:Greetings Friends,
I have The Floating Drydock's BB63 USS Missouri Plan Book on CD and in studying it, I ran across something I'd like to know.
In several places this document makes reference to "Cooling Tubes" which from their locations, I assume are for the 20mm guns.
Does anyone know the dimensions of these items? The plans show details of the spare barrel tubes for the 20mm guns, but not for these tubes. Any information on them would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
- Channell
- Posts: 2068
- Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 12:18 pm
- Location: Salt Lake City, USA
Re: Calling all USS Iowa class (BB-61) fans
Yeah, they are for dumping hot 20mm barrels into after changing them out to keep the guns from overheating; I'd say just pick a piece of styrene or brass tube/wire that looks thick and long enough to match the (assembled) pontos brass gun barrels...steinerman wrote:Greetings Friends,
I have The Floating Drydock's BB63 USS Missouri Plan Book on CD and in studying it, I ran across something I'd like to know.
In several places this document makes reference to "Cooling Tubes" which from their locations, I assume are for the 20mm guns.
Does anyone know the dimensions of these items? The plans show details of the spare barrel tubes for the 20mm guns, but not for these tubes. Any information on them would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-Jason Channell
Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck
Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck