Page 3 of 4

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:18 am
by EJFoeth
Nice progress!

You failed to pass the boat exam though :heh:
"I don't know what this is" --> 16ft fast motor boat, aka 'skimming dish'
24ft whaler --> 27 ft whaler
27ft cutter --> 25 ft fast motor boat

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:39 am
by pascalemod
EJFoeth wrote:Nice progress!

You failed to pass the boat exam though :heh:
"I don't know what this is" --> 16ft fast motor boat, aka 'skimming dish'
24ft whaler --> 27 ft whaler
27ft cutter --> 25 ft fast motor boat
No, it is you who passed the boat test I crested to confuse you. Well done! :lol_pound: :heh:

Now I get a better idea tho!!

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:45 am
by IJNfan
Nice progress, especially these boats. They look very nice, more so when taking account for the 1/700 scale.

As for the hull, I thin kits fine! Isn't also nice that the hulls haven't the same tone? No ship ever looks the same, maybe the Hood is just depicted with a fresher coat of paint than the Prince. (Though Honestly I find the Hood better looking in terms of colors. :mrgreen: )

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:33 am
by pascalemod
IJNfan wrote:Nice progress, especially these boats. They look very nice, more so when taking account for the 1/700 scale.

As for the hull, I thin kits fine! Isn't also nice that the hulls haven't the same tone? No ship ever looks the same, maybe the Hood is just depicted with a fresher coat of paint than the Prince. (Though Honestly I find the Hood better looking in terms of colors. :mrgreen: )
While Hood antifouling is all kinds of custom, and so is PoW, the upper works paint for Hood and PoW is identical. I just havent at all weathered PoW. It goes to show that it is good to pick paint correctly if you dont plan to weather the boat. If you do - in my case it certainly darkens and one must plan for it. I think Hood looks good though, it is really about how it photographs. :)

This weekend Ill paint the deck and add all the extras and try if I have time, weather the upper works. We shall see how that looks after.

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:39 pm
by pascalemod
Painted the deck.

I really was contemplating a dark stained deck, but as Im painting her weathered, April - and there she had clean decks, so I made my mind and will go for the ship with clean deck.

Here the model lacks any kind of wash, weathering and few more deck fittings like booms, paravanes, anchor chains etc. But she is taking shape, as all main colors are in. I will lighten up the dark grey on turrets as they feel a tad too dark and then on to gloss coat and all that fun stuff!

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:15 am
by pascalemod
I started weathering Prince of Wales, with dark grey wash for superstructures and hull, and with brown for deck. Had the ship glossed before that and of course, which naturally darkened the paint but I think once all is done it will be pretty good.

I took these shots in natural light real quick (behind a curtain) on an overcast day. It gives a good idea of how the colors look on superstructures.

Next Ill deal with some dot filters on the lower and upper hull to give it some variation. The fun part! I also need to paint up all the tiny details on the ships structures, and then do the dry brushing to bring up the details.

I also noticed few areas that would be good to touch up in these close ups, which is kind of the point of taking closeups of the model. Only then you really notice the problems. :D

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:38 pm
by Themongoose
love the color tone to the whole model. I'd be interested in hearing/seeing more on how you detailed the weld lines on the hull. Have read through your description a couple times and I really like the results.

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:45 am
by pascalemod
Themongoose wrote:love the color tone to the whole model. I'd be interested in hearing/seeing more on how you detailed the weld lines on the hull. Have read through your description a couple times and I really like the results.
Thanks!

So I think the the hull seams were an issue and the bow is much bigger issue as in my effort to glue it all i put too much and it warped the bow. I ended up filling the portions on the lower part, and gave a bit more putty. The whole thing is embarrassing frankly and I didn't have good pics.

Regarding all of the hull proper, I used new fresh putty from Tamiya applied in small points. Sanded with 1000 grit sandpaper. Then there is a trick - boot topping, with wear on it allows to hide any issues on hull joints. I think it worked overall as things look fairly seamless. :)

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:04 am
by marijn van gils
Themongoose wrote:love the color tone to the whole model.
+1! :thumbs_up_1:

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:09 am
by Dan K
Great progress.

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:52 am
by pascalemod
Dan K wrote:Great progress.
marijn van gils wrote:
Themongoose wrote:love the color tone to the whole model.
+1! :thumbs_up_1:
Thanks gents! Here is some progress shots.

I used putty to cover all motorboats, fine as they are. I like that look. I dont know if I should cover in canvas all three boats on boat deck that are Matrioshka-dolled, or each boat needs a canvas of sorts, or none at all. Dont know so probably none at all for now. If you look close enough you will see one of the boats stern is exposed to show off some detail. I am copying one of the photos from top down for this.

I have used some weathering pigments (soot) on the funnel tops, to darken them slightly. On pics they lookdarker so they are done that way. I hope that works.

It might appear close to ready but of course, it is not even close.

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:09 pm
by zs180
Great paint job and weathering. How you can paint the deck after the small fittings have been attached is beyond me!

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - spring (speed trials) 1941!

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:28 am
by pascalemod
zs180 wrote:Great paint job and weathering. How you can paint the deck after the small fittings have been attached is beyond me!
THANK YOU for the nice words, your Barham is mind blowingly beautiful, and I only wish to have that skill level!

The deck masking sheet has been a huge help. Frankly, I wont paint decks in future without it if I can help it. I dont know how I went on without. With magnifying glass and tweezers, and liquid mask to aid in some tight spots, painting the deck, masking, spray painting the fittings - all of that was fairly easy. The over-spray was mostly corrected to the point you cant see it anymore.

Next, I need to do the following on the ship, even if it looks almost finished:
- sort out masts, Im deciding if white band should be added on the Main mast or not. Gonna pop into CASF on that I guess.
- add the rafts as per photos, whole lot of them (30? ish).
- Add davits, 14 of them
- add the lifeboats into place, darken the canvas covers (too light atm).
- fix the plane into place - does it need a cradle if on rails on deck? probably... means scratch building
- make some banana bread
- deck railings
- rigging
- props
- flags and flag staffs

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (speed trials)!

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:44 pm
by pascalemod
Slow progress this week, but manage to just about sort out the 12 davits and all the 54 rafts... :woo_hoo:

All kind of displayed here...

Next items on the list then as per above. I kind of dont like this part of the build - 2 months of work and now IM pretty exhausted. :D

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (speed trials)!

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:55 am
by pascalemod
I am now looking at railings and mast radars next, followed by rigging.

PoW is starting to look good to me. It should be an exciting moment but high pace of building - 2 months for me - feels like Im quite tired of the build. :) Hope to finish it next few weeks!.

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (speed trials)!

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:24 am
by pascalemod
I have installed all railings and started on the rigging. This seems to be tricker than I originally thought - a pattern that keeps repeating with this build.

These are working shots, not great quality it seems but I plan to roll out a full shoot for this model soon enough, I hope.

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (speed trials)!

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:06 am
by Mr. Church
pascalemod wrote:This seems to be tricker than I originally thought - a pattern that keeps repeating with this build.
Haha I know the feeling. She looks very well.

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (speed trials)!

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:15 am
by pascalemod
I started doing the rather tricky rigging. It has taken me quite a lot of hours just to get to this phase.
The main issue will be some locations where to tie forward rig, plus the tension rigging between masts. This required me to change up my usual favored tungsten wire for the Caenis 20 Den thread. Not a big fan of it but I can give it good tension - shall see if it works. :cool_1:

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (speed trials)!

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:55 pm
by pascalemod
Prince of Wales 1/700 Flyhawk is done.

I will do a lot more better pics I hope, but for now I gotta say finally the kit that was started few years back is completed after a bunch of modifications.

It is a great feeling to have it ready next to three other Denmark Strait combatants and I plan to finally do a good picture post and gallery submissions for all. :woo_hoo:

Re: 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales - April 1941 (COMPLETE)

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:48 am
by kurusu
Truly impressive. :thumbs_up_1:

Bravo!