Page 22 of 30

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:00 pm
by Mgunns
Hi Jason:

Yes, finish Nelson, you are inspiring others to proceed as you lead the way on this beast. So many kits, so little time.

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:07 pm
by BB62vet
Don't you just love how a modeler, by self-convincing himself that he DOESN'T need to build "so & so", has, by the end of his argument already filled out the order blank and is marking his calendar for when the box arrives!!!! :thumbs_up_1:

:lol_pound: I Love it!! I'VE BOUGHT IT!!! :cry_3:

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:01 pm
by Mgunns
BB62vet wrote:Don't you just love how a modeler, by self-convincing himself that he DOESN'T need to build "so & so", has, by the end of his argument already filled out the order blank and is marking his calendar for when the box arrives!!!! :thumbs_up_1:

:lol_pound: I Love it!! I'VE BOUGHT IT!!! :cry_3:
It's a fine form of madness Hank. I had convinced myself I wasn't going to do another 1/200 ship model. Before the week was out, I had yet another, 1/200 Arizona in the stash. Now; I am convincing myself I don't need the 1/200 Pennsy Superstructure. :no_2: Now who does that anyway? Shapeways?

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:51 am
by BB62vet
Mark said -
Now; I am convincing myself I don't need the 1/200 Pennsy Superstructure. :no_2: Now who does that anyway? Shapeways?
You and me both, brother!!! I just had an email conversation with another modeler about this very topic. I think I've made my decision, I just need to beat myself up about it first, before I publically admit that I'm going to order it. Self-pity, Self-shame, Self-Loathing and then Euphoria for finally making the purchase are all part of the ritual.................I'm laughing my ass off about this whole thing. But then, who is to say "why not?" Our hobby is no different than any other today in terms of expense, time, effort, etc.

And, Yes!! Shapeways - do you need the email address??? :lol_pound: :lol_3:

Hank

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:42 am
by Mgunns
BB62vet wrote: And, Yes!! Shapeways - do you need the email address??? :lol_pound: :lol_3:

Hank
Thanks Hank: I have Shapeways in my favorites just for such contingency planning. :cool_2:

I bought the ARTWOX deck for my "other" 1/200 Arizona, but; I noticed that Freetime has the AK deck and PE set for it; it comes as a package, you can't the one without the other. The deck is as good as ARTWOX, I don't need the deck but would like to get the PE set for it as it has the chain railings. If you need a wood deck let me know and we can work something out.
The ARTWOX deck also comes with sufficient chain as well.

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:58 am
by steinerman
You guys are NUTS!!!! :big_grin:

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:13 am
by BB62vet
Mark wrote:
I bought the ARTWOX deck for my "other" 1/200 Arizona, but; I noticed that Freetime has the AK deck and PE set for it; it comes as a package, you can't the one without the other. The deck is as good as ARTWOX, I don't need the deck but would like to get the PE set for it as it has the chain railings. If you need a wood deck let me know and we can work something out.
The ARTWOX deck also comes with sufficient chain as well.
Well, as a matter of fact...Sat. I ordered the following: Master Models 14" gun barrels (secondary are out of stock), WEM Anchor Plates, Big Ed #1 (Cranes), Big Ed #2 (Catapults), Big Ed #5 (Railings), [Big Ed #3 Life Boats were out of stock], and Artwox Ship chain - all from Free Time. The Artwox decking is also out of stock (what's this all about??), which brings up a question - what is included in the KA PE/Deck Set? I would think for $179 that it should have everything under the sun. I don't want to duplicate things that I've already ordered. I'll PM you about the deck, etc.

Larry,
You should know by now that Marines & Sailors ARE crazy! :lol_3: Maintain a 15' distance for your own safety!!!

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:37 am
by Channell
Hank, better pass on the KA set... You'll need the money for therapy and various antipsychotic drugs. :heh:

Seriously though, I had one (unused) but I hocked it on eBay because I wasn't gonna build one anytime soon and better stuff has come out since then. You aren't missing out on anything without it.

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:12 am
by robertmelvin
Always remember that no decision is truly well thought out unless it is preceded great wailing and gnashing of teeth, and the yes I do, no I don't battle of the angels on your shoulders.

Bob M

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:57 pm
by Fliger747
Measure 22_A9A2224.jpg
Current progress CB1, painted in Measure 22 using Snyder and Shorts Color chips and Golden High Flow Acrylics, mixed to match.

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:16 pm
by Fliger747
measure 22_A9A2226.jpg
Nudder udder one

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:41 am
by BB62vet
Tom,

CB1 is looking really good! The dark blue is really "dark" - interesting contrast to the haze gray above.

Hank

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:21 am
by Mgunns
Hello Tom:

THis is coming along nicely. Looks good in the paint measure.

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:18 pm
by Fliger747
Nov 18_A9A2235.jpg
18 nov_A9A2232.jpg
Alaska CB1 in Measure 22 matched from the Snyder and Shorts color chips. Many small details to go! Need to decide on the best rail available in this scale and order, get some anchor chain, make up a new batch of fire hoses and on and on. Fire Control Radars to build up etc.

Yes the 5N is dark!

Cheers: Tom

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:41 pm
by steinerman
This is a question for Cliffy, primarily, but anyone is welcome to answer. In the Kagero book on the USS Missouri there is a grouping of small Japanese flags on the sides of the bridge:
Japanese Victory Flags1.jpg
Japanese Victory Flags2jpg.jpg
Do these flags still exist on the bridge of the ship? If so, would it be possible for you to get a picture of them so I can get a decal made? And, if they're no longer there, does anyone know where I can get a better picture of this grouping? I want to add this to my Monster Mo.

Thanks heaps, peoples--

(Photo Credits: Super Drawings in 3D - The Battleship USS Missouri; by Stefan Draminski, Kagero Press, Page 39)

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:05 pm
by Fliger747
These flags are no longer on the bridge wings of Missouri.

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:10 pm
by Fliger747
Battleship Missouri; Stillwell, page 66 shows these on the stbd bridge wing at the surrender.

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:20 pm
by BB62vet
Steiner wrote:
Do these flags still exist on the bridge of the ship? If so, would it be possible for you to get a picture of them so I can get a decal made?
Answer - NO, the only decorations on the bridge of MISSOURI are the ribbons she earned during her two commissions in service. Wartime battle record symbology was removed after the war.

Hope this helps,

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:46 pm
by Fliger747
Each of these symbols is only about 0.04" in size, possibly a bit small for good application.

Re: 1/200 Scale Group Build 2015

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:17 am
by Mgunns
Okay folks:

My 1/200 Arizona is almost finished. I put the Kingfishers on tonight. I had a mishap with two of them. I thought I could get by drawing the wing walk area with a fine point sharpie. It looked "alright" until I dullcoated it, the sharpie ink ran. So, I started all over and here are the completed Kingfishers, this time I used fine black "Scalemaster Stripes." This is a tough paint scheme to get right in this scale and the clear plastic airplanes aren't the easiest to work with, but; I am pretty happy with them at this point.
Image
Not the greatest shot, I will have to do it again as it is blurred, but; you get the "picture". :heh:

I wanted to see how the WEM interior fit into the airplane, so I cut off the canopy and green house. I don't like it, if I do another one, the canopies are staying as is. The interior didn't fit too well either.
Image
I see I need to go back and put the dashes between the numbers and letters.
Image
IN this one you can see the running of the sharpie line, not very pretty. Oh well, I have an extra Kingfisher I can repaint in the grey scheme.

Image

I like the Riich Kingfishers. The plastic is clearer, the center pontoon is more robust, and the catapults are more detailed than the kit ones. The kit includes two Kingfishers and catapults. If the modeler was going to use one on the Arizona, the catwalks wouldn't go on.

Kingfisher mania! :big_grin:

Image

Thanks for looking.