Calling all Japanese pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine fans

Landing ships, transports, liners, cargo ships, and merchant ships.

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey

Post Reply
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Quincy »

Graham Boak wrote:Note there is a thread on the main forum about the Pit Road Aikoku Maru.

What is known about other releases of this tooling from Pit Road?

I'm not sure, but, I hope they release the other two ships of the class.


Bob Pink. :wave_1:
User avatar
reigels
Posts: 795
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by reigels »

Quincy wrote:I'm working on the new but very nice and small kits of IJN Kinezaki.

It is a very detailed kit with lots of photoetch but, very small to work with. I must be getting old. :heh:
:
Agreed, crazy small - Between eyesight and the Carpet Monster, I'm glad there are parts for two hulls included. Caution: I snapped one hull in half trying to snip out the plug in the center. Should have used a saw or knife instead. Fortunately it was a clean break and glued back together with no problem. Now if I can just find that cowl vent I dropped....
-- Scott
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Quincy »

reigels wrote:
Quincy wrote:I'm working on the new but very nice and small kits of IJN Kinezaki.

It is a very detailed kit with lots of photoetch but, very small to work with. I must be getting old. :heh:
:
Agreed, crazy small - Between eyesight and the Carpet Monster, I'm glad there are parts for two hulls included. Caution: I snapped one hull in half trying to snip out the plug in the center. Should have used a saw or knife instead. Fortunately it was a clean break and glued back together with no problem. Now if I can just find that cowl vent I dropped....
LOL!! :heh:

I did the same thing! I was lucky to have a clean break too. I lost one of the winches, part A14. I'll replace it with one of Battlefleets replacement parts. I 'm working on this before I attempt the K2 kit.


Bob Pink. :wave_1:
User avatar
D-Boy
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Schodack Landing, NY

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by D-Boy »

Inspiration for some lovely diorama possibilities at this website, depicting various scenes around Hong Kong Harbor post 1937 typhoon:

http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/typhoon.html
User avatar
D-Boy
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Schodack Landing, NY

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by D-Boy »

janschu wrote: By the way, Frog Foot has announced two more kits, the IJN auxiliary transports Hakone Maru and Nankai Maru.
The last three kits from them (again thank you, Gernot), the special transport Kashino and the store ships Irako
and Mamiya, are really good. :thumbs_up_1:
The measurements are correct, a former issue on those kits. Furthermore the fitting of parts and the level of detail
is also really nice. I can recommend them.

Greetings from the North Sea Coast,
Jan Schulz, SIG-Waterline :wave_1:
Can you post a website for ordering Frogfoot resin kits?
User avatar
D-Boy
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Schodack Landing, NY

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by D-Boy »

Always fascinating when two disparate passions cross paths. Was out at the Baseball Hall of Fame yesterday with a friend and family in from CA. There is a small exhibit about some of the early international barnstorming by MLB All Stars in Europe and the Pacific Rim. Here�s a quick summary of the 1931 trip:

"In 1931 after the Major League season 14 MLB players traveled to Japan to play in a multi game tournament against an assembled Japanese All Star team. This was the first time that a major league all-star team traveled in a group to play baseball. The MLB all-stars compiled a 17 win 0 loss record on the Japanese tour. The tour was organized by Matsutaro Shoriki the owner of the Yomiuri Shinbun Newspaper in Tokyo. Shoriki�s newspaper sponsored the tour. Following the tour Shoriki created his own Japanese professional baseball team and named his team (the first of eight teams formed) Dai Nippon Tokyo Yakyu Kurabu--The Great Japan Tokyo Baseball Club. HOF Lefty O'Doul a very close friend of Shoriki convinced him that something simpler would be better, like Tokyo Giants. Shoriki agreed, but later changed it to Yomiuri Giants, to publicize his newspaper, the Yomiuri Shinbun.

The MLB players that played in the 1931 tour included:

Pitchers: Lefty Grove (Athletics Red Sox), Larry French (Pirates, Cubs, Dodgers), Bruce Cunningham (Braves)
Infielders: Lou Gehrig (1b) (Yankees), Mickey Cochrane (c) (Athletics, Tigers), Muddy Ruel (c) (St. Louis Browns, New York Yankees, Washington Senators, Boston Red Sox, Detroit Tigers, and the Chicago White Sox), Frankie Frisch (2b) (Giants, Cardinals), Rabbit Maranville (ss) (Braves, Pirates, Cardinals, Robins, Cubs), Willie Kamm (3b) (Chicago, Cleveland).
Outfielders: Lefty O'Doul (rf) (Yankees, Red Sox, Giants, Phillies, Robins), Al Simmons (lf) (Phillies, White Sox, Tigers, Senators, Braves, Reds, Athletics, Res Sox, Athletics), Thomas Oliver (cf) (Red Sox)
Utility: George Kelly (Giants, Pirates, Reds, Cubs, Dodgers), Ralph Shinners (Giants, Cardinals)"

Small postcard included in the exhibit referencing the �5-Star Liner Tatsuta Maru� as the means of conveyance from the US to Japan. Lovely ship, later requisitioned for troop and POW transport use. Not often that 1:700 WL and MLB cross paths, but guess what will now have to be on the build list?!

Brief background on the ship: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tatst ... stcard.jpg and here: http://www.oceanlinermuseum.co.uk/Asama ... istory.htm

Completed 1:700 build: http://www.aeronautic.dk/AsamaMaru.htm. Build log: http://www.aeronautic.dk/AsamaChichibuM ... rocess.htm

There�s been some discussion of her sister ship Asama Maru on the PreWar Merchantship forum. I'm going to review earlier postings in this thread and be in touch with those who have built the ship.

Frogfoot produces a resin kit.

Never thought I'd get the chance to model baseball, let alone in 1:700 scale. But here it is!
Last edited by D-Boy on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
janschu
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:36 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by janschu »

Hello D-Boy,

i have purchased all my Frog Foot kits via Gernot. :thumbs_up_1:
Actually he ordered the kits for me directly from Frog Foot (he has really relations to them),
then i made the payment with PayPal.
For further information i suggest that you may contact him with a PM.

I hope this helps.

Greetings from Germany,
Jan Schulz, SIG-Waterline :wave_1:
User avatar
D-Boy
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Schodack Landing, NY

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by D-Boy »

janschu wrote:Hello D-Boy,

i have purchased all my Frog Foot kits via Gernot. :thumbs_up_1:
Actually he ordered the kits for me directly from Frog Foot (he has really relations to them),
then i made the payment with PayPal.
For further information i suggest that you may contact him with a PM.

I hope this helps.

Greetings from Germany,
Jan Schulz, SIG-Waterline :wave_1:
Danke!
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Dan K »

I just received my Aikoku Maru and I think this the best 1/700 merchant molding I've seen to date. The fit between the lower and upper hulls is perfect. The detailing is beautiful. And the the booms and weapons have clearly benefitted from use of slide mold injection; they are comparable to what PitRoad has released for its new NE accessory line. Even the deck/boom winches have been tooled separately - nice touch.

For comparison's sake, I viewed it against Fujimi's Brazil Maru, which I feel probably the best, certainly the most accurate, of the Fujimi merchant ships. The quality of the hulls is very comparable, as are the main decks, but the PitRoad kit has better execution of the small parts, as stated above.

And, in the new Model Art Ship Modeling Special #41, is a two page buildup preview of the new 1/350 Hasegawa Hikawa Maru. It looks magnificent. Great detailing. Full hull.
User avatar
D-Boy
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Schodack Landing, NY

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by D-Boy »

Quincy wrote:I'm working on the new but very nice and small kits of IJN Kinezaki. Were any of these ships painted in greens later in the war? I checked Motoyuki's site and books but could not find these ships at all. The others of the class are Arasaki, Hayasaki, and Shirasaki.

It is a very detailed kit with lots of photoetch but, very small to work with. I must be getting old. :heh:

Bob Pink. :wave_1:
HLJ has finally listed this Rayden kit as available through them; they also list Rayden's PE railway track kits as available through them as well.
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Quincy »

I think that my Aikoku Maru kit missed my home port. I gotta email HLJ and let them know.
:huh:




Bob Pink. :wave_1:
DougKn
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by DougKn »

Speaking of Motoyuki san's books, I finally finished an English index for volume 2, covering 101 Maru's in Vol.2. It lists pages for all the models in the first section, and the plans in the back. It doesn't cover the convoy histories. It can be printed out, cut 1/4" off the side and inserted inside the cover. I have it in Excel format, sent free to anyone who e-mails me with a returnable address. The file also contains the vol. 1 index and a combined index for print-out.

Motoyuki-san does include an index in his volume 2 book (page 134) if you don't mind the idiosyncrasies of the Japanese alphabet.

Cheers :wave_1:

Doug K.

(PS, I haven't gotten much further on the Maru's list, so if you got that last time, it is still a work in progress.)
User avatar
Timmy C
Posts: 12472
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Timmy C »

The Fujimi Sagara Maru seaplane carrier has been released: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10155421
De quoi s'agit-il?
User avatar
D-Boy
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Schodack Landing, NY

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by D-Boy »

Timmy C wrote:The Fujimi Sagara Maru seaplane carrier has been released: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10155421
I like the look of the parts breakdown in the instructions. Looks to be well-engineered for masking and painting.

D-Boy
User avatar
Timmy C
Posts: 12472
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Timmy C »

Behold: copious and glorious close-ups of the Hasegawa 1/350 Hikawa Maru - http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/Z28/Z28.html
De quoi s'agit-il?
User avatar
D-Boy
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 1:57 pm
Location: Schodack Landing, NY

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by D-Boy »

Timmy C wrote:Behold: copious and glorious close-ups of the Hasegawa 1/350 Hikawa Maru - http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/Z28/Z28.html
Lovely.
User avatar
JIM BAUMANN
Posts: 5705
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:30 pm
Location: Nr Southampton England

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by JIM BAUMANN »

That looks like a lovely model!

May have to purchase.. ....

J :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1: B
....I buy them at three times the speed I build 'em.... will I live long enough to empty my stash...?
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Dan K »

Agreed. Although Motoyuki-san says the lifeboats are wrong, shouldn't be cutter type but rather, the wider, passenger type.
A small price to pay.
User avatar
reigels
Posts: 795
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by reigels »

Pit-Road Aikoku Maru arrived today. Looks beautiful! One of the best 1/700 kits I've seen.

From the parts break down it looks like her sisters will be coming out as well.
-- Scott
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan

Post by Quincy »

reigels wrote:Pit-Road Aikoku Maru arrived today. Looks beautiful! One of the best 1/700 kits I've seen.

From the parts break down it looks like her sisters will be coming out as well.


:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:




Bob Pink. :wave_1:
Post Reply

Return to “Amphibious, Transports and Auxiliaries”