Page 5 of 6
Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:33 am
by Channell
Goodwood wrote:Foil tape?
I think I will first try to do the horizontal plate lines with primer (tape along the top of the line, spray a couple thick coats of primer and remove the tape, then go to the next line). I will do the gussets with either foil tape or tamiya tape; I have some bare metal foil I can try too if the other stuff seems too thick.
Of course I'll get some pics and details up if it works.

Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:07 am
by Fliger747
The technique of using a high build primer for the plate lines can work fairly well. I went with a strip backed with putty to get the taper this time. Gussets... I tried foil tape at one point but wasn't 100% happy with its adhesion (This was the 500 mph tape we used on the 747). I ended up using thin Strathmore paper, which you must seal if you use water based paints. The gussets are of the same 25lb plate as the hull here, or about 5/8 inch. What's that, about 0.003 in scale?
Sure it will look good when you are done.
Cheers. Tom
Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:01 pm
by Channell
Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:37 pm
by BB62vet
Jason,
Looks like you will be wearing glasses sooner than you thought!! If you aren't already.
I'm glad I'm not having to deal with either the 40's or 20's.
Hank
Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:02 pm
by Fliger747
Nice touch they are showing them without the covers over the loading slots. Well this should keep you off the streets at night for some time.
Cheers: Tom
Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:36 pm
by Channell
Thanks for the support Hank and Tom. Also, I hate you guys... you and your neat, uncluttered and modernized Iowas.

I'm gonna be building AA guns until I die!
So, you've seen the Veteran kits in pieces but you never really know until you put the damn things together. Anyway, the verdict is in:
These things are spectacular!
I couldn't help throwing a Trumpy Bofors together for the sake of comparison again:
Of course... there IS a catch. That's about 6 hours of work on 2 little gun mounts! Granted, they are my first, I spent a fair amount of time fighting the carpet monster for a couple of the parts and I am NOT the greatest modeler who ever dared to post his work online, but absolutely DO NOT consider them an "easy out" detail... they are damn hard to get together! I have never before put so many tiny pieces on a little model that fits neatly within the diameter of a quarter.
The instructions were not great either and basically amounted to: "
Here's where each one of these 30-40ish microscopic parts per gun go on the finished product. Want an order of construction? Too *#&ing bad... also don't feed your bofors pieces to pets or small children. NFA compliance and BATF permission is required with all USA sales. "
... and the kit bofors? It took maybe 3 minutes to get together. The surprising thing about the Trumpy guns is that while they look like crap up close they actually blend in well with the veteran bofors once you get past a certain distance. Just sayin'!

Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:36 am
by Fliger747
Jason
The detail clutter that you mention is one of the things that makes for a convincing model of a large ship. Almost every ship has few bare areas, and then it takes forever to scratch build small repetitive components. So there are trade offs. In a couple of years when you finish all the light AA it will be spectacular! These will be a particularly convincing detail clutter.
Good photos, stay away from good close up detail photos! The issue, always something more to add.
Keep at it, a very nice build.
Cheers. Tom
Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:44 am
by Channell
I really
was expecting the bofors to be less of a chore, but Veteran made no concessions to get truly accurate looking guns which is not a bad thing either. Sometimes I forget that when it comes to modeling, your work is only as good as the time and effort you put into it. Luckily I'm not on a time schedule for this build either!
We finally got a new camera (it's officially my wife's camera for her photography hobby) so my pics will hopefully be better too.

Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:14 pm
by Fliger747
You realize of course that then you have to bring the rest of the ship to this standard..... A good thing.
Good for the spousal unit to have a photography hobby. That's how my gal and I got together!
Cheers. Tom
Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:27 pm
by Channell
Fliger747 wrote:You realize of course that then you have to bring the rest of the ship to this standard..... A good thing.
Good for the spousal unit to have a photography hobby. That's how my gal and I got together!
Cheers. Tom
This
is the fantasy model kit that I've always wanted to go absolutely wild and crazy on!
On a side note, I just found this interesting resource for pics that y'all might be interested in:
http://svsm.org/gallery/wisconsin
Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:40 pm
by Fliger747
Thanks Jason, helpful for the link to the photos. Each of the ships now has a lot of differences, but a lot the same. Note carefully the signal halyards, they have a pulley at the top and are a double line. Many excellent models (some on this board) miss this! I realize as my submarine friends would say, a lot of bridge under the water till then!
Cheers! T
Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:43 pm
by Channell
This week's progress:
1/2 way through the Bofors!
I also started on the 16" turrets:
I'm mostly following the pontos directions here; the only deviation of my own was to inlet the edge of the hatch plate and cut out the plastic behind the hatches so they will actually look like hatches when everything is painted. The blast-bags are still not attached; they were a poor fit and took a bit of trimming and filing to get them over the barrels but they are gonna look good.
Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:18 pm
by Channell
Still making progress... my AA box got a little bit fuller this week:
Now that I have a system going, I can get a single quad built in about an hour or so. I also got all the Oerlikons together (minus the mk14 sights) and primed them too:
Those drum magazines were lots of fun!
The pontos PE Mk14's look too big and clunky in my opinion, especially compared to the Veteran Mk14s. I'm trying to figure out a good way to make 50 of 'em without going crazy.
Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:49 am
by Fliger747
One a week with thanksgiving and Christmas off, hey it's only a year....
Good luck. Tom
Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:01 pm
by Channell
Fliger747 wrote:One a week with thanksgiving and Christmas off, hey it's only a year....
Good luck. Tom
If you want me to work faster, you're gonna have to start paying me.
I'd hate to know my hours spent on this project already though... It's surprising how long it's taken for me to get a waterlined hull, thinned out portholes and a box full of AA guns. There should be some kind of therapy or psychedelic drug that can be prescribed to people who are incapable of building models "out of the box".
Still, it's good to get some of this ultra-repetitive stuff out of the way early on!
Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:07 am
by Fliger747
I think it's supposed to be psychiatric as opposed to psychedelic... But possibly not so far off. I see Kelly has left the little devils for last, that approach does lend the impression of greater overall progress. Sometimes it is a motivator to see the ship taking place, letting you imagination run with
At one time I thought my CB1 was about 90% done and it has been sitting there looking all the like Hawaii for many years. The experience with Missouri shows me it's more like 10% complete as there is almost as much light AA. The good news is the plethora of addons is now available in this scale which weren't about when I started that project.
Be a great ship as she comes along!
Best from all. Tom
Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:12 am
by Fliger747
My recollection there was just one hatch at the rear of the turret though the only one I have ever poked my head through into the turret booth was on turret 3 of Missouri. If I come across any photos I might have of this area I will pass them along. Certainly Cliffy B would know.
If I am in error I will let you know as well.
Cheers. Tom
Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:24 am
by Kelly Quirk
Fliger747 wrote:My recollection there was just one hatch at the rear of the turret though the only one I have ever poked my head through into the turret booth was on turret 3 of Missouri. If I come across any photos I might have of this area I will pass them along. Certainly Cliffy B would know.
If I am in error I will let you know as well.
Cheers. Tom
I distinctly remember two hatches on the turrets when I visited the Missouri. I actually went into the turret and got to "fire" the big guns.

Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:37 pm
by LE BOSCO
Hello Jason
your project is progressing well, because all these little things are terribly painstaking and time-consuming
good job

best regards
Nicolas
Re: Taking on the 1/200 Missouri...
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:09 pm
by Fliger747
Jason
Just hoping you didn't go raving into the mountains after finishing the last 20 mm.....
Regards. Tom