Calling all Japanese pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
-
PTINLBC
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:27 pm
California Maru
Hello, I've just started a search for help and information regarding a model of a Japanese freighter named the California Maru. The model has been in the possession of my wife's family for close to 50 years. I believe the model was given to my wife's mother by a crew member of the ship . . . he may have also been the builder of the model. From the quick bit of research I've done it reads as though this ship sailed under the name of Kyokuto Maru during WWII. The few photos I've found online of the Kyokuto Maru show it to be configured differently than how it looks as a model of the California Maru. It was rebuilt post war, but it seems to me it must have gone through a considerable rebuild.
If there is anyone out there who can fill in the blanks for me on this ship's history (I think there may be after reading through this forum and seeing some other sites. I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge that is out there) I would be very appreciative.
My ultimate goal in this research is to reunite the model with its builder's family. This may be a long shot, but no harm in trying. I sent a email message to K Line yesterday, but upon finding this forum I'm thinking I may have more luck here.
I hope to have a photo of the model posted. The model's length is 32"
Thanks in advance for any help.
Peter
If there is anyone out there who can fill in the blanks for me on this ship's history (I think there may be after reading through this forum and seeing some other sites. I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge that is out there) I would be very appreciative.
My ultimate goal in this research is to reunite the model with its builder's family. This may be a long shot, but no harm in trying. I sent a email message to K Line yesterday, but upon finding this forum I'm thinking I may have more luck here.
I hope to have a photo of the model posted. The model's length is 32"
Thanks in advance for any help.
Peter
- Gilbert
- L'Arsenal

- Posts: 914
- Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:55 pm
- Location: 64700 Hendaye, FRANCE
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hello,
History of your ship is here: http://www.combinedfleet.com/Kyokuto_t.htm
After reconstruction details: 1952 Lg 159.8m, 10510gt
Gilbert
History of your ship is here: http://www.combinedfleet.com/Kyokuto_t.htm
After reconstruction details: 1952 Lg 159.8m, 10510gt
Gilbert
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
As her history indicates, the original ship was a tanker, one of the first of the Kawasaki class. Not a freighter.
As built, and as reconstructed after salvage:
As built, and as reconstructed after salvage:
- Quincy
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
- Location: Monson, MA.
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
I probably should have posted my question on the Main forum on this thread instead. Here it is.
Does anyone have any 1/700 line drawings or instructions for the Waveline kit of the IJN Irako refrigerator ship? I am particularly looking for hull side and deck views of said ship.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Bob Pink.
Does anyone have any 1/700 line drawings or instructions for the Waveline kit of the IJN Irako refrigerator ship? I am particularly looking for hull side and deck views of said ship.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Bob Pink.
- Hen
- Posts: 188
- Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:39 pm
- Location: Austria
- Contact:
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hi Quincy,Quincy wrote:I probably should have posted my question on the Main forum on this thread instead. Here it is.
Does anyone have any 1/700 line drawings or instructions for the Waveline kit of the IJN Irako refrigerator ship? I am particularly looking for hull side and deck views of said ship.
Any help would be much appreciated.![]()
Bob Pink.
I have the Waveline kit and I think the ship is also in one of Iwashige's books. Please send me your email address via PN and I will scan the plans within the next couple of days.
Have a nice day!
Hen
- - - - Check out my 1/700 Imperial Japanese Navy blog at http://nihonkaigun.wordpress.com/ - - - -
-
DougKn
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm
Re: California Maru
Hello, PeterPTINLBC wrote:Hello, I've just started a search for help and information regarding a model of a Japanese freighter named the California Maru. The model has been in the possession of my wife's family for close to 50 years. I believe the model was given to my wife's mother by a crew member of the ship . . . he may have also been the builder of the model. From the quick bit of research I've done it reads as though this ship sailed under the name of Kyokuto Maru during WWII. The few photos I've found online of the Kyokuto Maru show it to be configured differently than how it looks as a model of the California Maru. It was rebuilt post war, but it seems to me it must have gone through a considerable rebuild.
If there is anyone out there who can fill in the blanks for me on this ship's history (I think there may be after reading through this forum and seeing some other sites. I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge that is out there) I would be very appreciative.
My ultimate goal in this research is to reunite the model with its builder's family. This may be a long shot, but no harm in trying. I sent a email message to K Line yesterday, but upon finding this forum I'm thinking I may have more luck here.
I hope to have a photo of the model posted. The model's length is 32"
Thanks in advance for any help.
Peter
I think you have a later version. The Kyokuto/California Maru was scapped in 1964. Another Calfornia Maru was launched in 1965 and was a VL Tanker. This one, a reefer California Maru was built later and I think this is your version. I would have to look in a later Janes Merchant Ships for details. Here is a picture from the 1980s:

this is from: http://www.wellandcanal.ca/default.htm - looks like another nice source of photos!
Hen; You had mentioned that you had plans of the Frogfoot Oryoku Maru model. I would still be interested in seeing them.
I have a Japanese model of Petero Maru tanker. Any ideas on her history? She looks close to post-war.
cheers
Doug
-
DougKn
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:29 pm
Re: California Maru
Well, I stand corrected. The model looks quite different from "my" California Maru (launched 1978, renamed 1987, now Pietari Flame since 2004). http://maritime-connector.com/ships/(another neat site).DougKn wrote:Hello, PeterPTINLBC wrote:Hello, I've just started a search for help and information regarding a model of a Japanese freighter named the California Maru. The model has been in the possession of my wife's family for close to 50 years. I believe the model was given to my wife's mother by a crew member of the ship . . . he may have also been the builder of the model. From the quick bit of research I've done it reads as though this ship sailed under the name of Kyokuto Maru during WWII. The few photos I've found online of the Kyokuto Maru show it to be configured differently than how it looks as a model of the California Maru. It was rebuilt post war, but it seems to me it must have gone through a considerable rebuild.
If there is anyone out there who can fill in the blanks for me on this ship's history (I think there may be after reading through this forum and seeing some other sites. I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge that is out there) I would be very appreciative.
My ultimate goal in this research is to reunite the model with its builder's family. This may be a long shot, but no harm in trying. I sent a email message to K Line yesterday, but upon finding this forum I'm thinking I may have more luck here.
I hope to have a photo of the model posted. The model's length is 32"
Thanks in advance for any help.
Peter
I think you have a later version. The Kyokuto/California Maru was scapped in 1964. Another Calfornia Maru was launched in 1965 and was a VL Tanker. This one, a reefer California Maru was built later and I think this is your version. I would have to look in a later Janes Merchant Ships for details. Here is a picture from the 1980s:
this is from: http://www.wellandcanal.ca/default.htm - looks like another nice source of photos!
Hen; You had mentioned that you had plans of the Frogfoot Oryoku Maru model. I would still be interested in seeing them.
I have a Japanese model of Petero Maru tanker. Any ideas on her history? She looks close to post-war.
cheers![]()
Doug
The second one from 1965 was a 56,474 DWT 218 m ship. (1970 had some significance, but my translator wouldn't tell me what). edit: She sank in 1970 in the North Pacific.
All this goes to say is the mystery is still there, but there may be several different California Marus from different lines to research. I still say Janes, or an insurer Merchant Register may provide an answer. (Lloyd's Register -slipped my mind).
- Quincy
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
- Location: Monson, MA.
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Did the IJN Irako have a linoleum deck? If so were the strips present??
Bob Pink.
Bob Pink.
- janschu
- Posts: 141
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:36 pm
- Location: Germany
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hello,
i am searching for hull plans (preferably full hull) of the following ship types:
- Wartime Standard Type 2A
- Wartime Standard Type 2TL
Does anyone have those plans/line drawings or can give me a source where to find them?
Thanks in advance and greetings from the North Sea Coast,
Jan
i am searching for hull plans (preferably full hull) of the following ship types:
- Wartime Standard Type 2A
- Wartime Standard Type 2TL
Does anyone have those plans/line drawings or can give me a source where to find them?
Thanks in advance and greetings from the North Sea Coast,
Jan
-
Ami
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:26 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hello,
I am organizing a history exhibition and doing research about Japanese Immigration. It�s quite important to get information and images about ANYO MARU cargo ship (1913-1945). Could anyone help?
Thanks!!
I am organizing a history exhibition and doing research about Japanese Immigration. It�s quite important to get information and images about ANYO MARU cargo ship (1913-1945). Could anyone help?
Thanks!!
Last edited by Ami on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Neptune
- Posts: 2471
- Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:51 am
- Location: Belgium
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
The model of Peter resembles the "Peru Maru" Reefers and some other older ships (Mainly Akikawa Maru) posted earlier in the Post-war Japanese Merchant ship topic by Terry. The loading gear/derricks are of a similar type/vintage. Peru Maru was built in 1957 I believe. The main difference between them is that Peter's model has 3 free standing derricks (with an additional one just in front of the accomodation) on the forward part of the ship, while the Peru Maru and others posted by Terry, have only 2 free standing ones in those postions. The earlier ships of that age also lack any bulbous bow, which Peter's model clearly has. This would lead to the conclusion that Peter's ship/model was probably a ship built somewhere in the '60s.
Also the sheer of the hull and general bow shape would support that conclusion (the stepped bow was used less due to growing dimensions of ships and freeboards).
Considering hull shape I would rate her later than '60s, but the stern, propellor lay-out (with rudder support below propellor) as well as the use of these old-vintage derricks seem to indicate that she's older than she looks... Perhaps the bow was rebuilt along with a jumboisation of an existing older ship?
Anyway I hope these ideas can lead you to a better clue... Good luck in your search, I'll keep looking around as well. A pretty handsome ship!
The one from '78 looks considerably different, also note the model has a rather short (but surprisingly aerodynamic) funnel compared tot he '78 version.
Also the sheer of the hull and general bow shape would support that conclusion (the stepped bow was used less due to growing dimensions of ships and freeboards).
Considering hull shape I would rate her later than '60s, but the stern, propellor lay-out (with rudder support below propellor) as well as the use of these old-vintage derricks seem to indicate that she's older than she looks... Perhaps the bow was rebuilt along with a jumboisation of an existing older ship?
Anyway I hope these ideas can lead you to a better clue... Good luck in your search, I'll keep looking around as well. A pretty handsome ship!
The one from '78 looks considerably different, also note the model has a rather short (but surprisingly aerodynamic) funnel compared tot he '78 version.
The merchant shipyard
-
Jim Smith
- Posts: 155
- Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location: Rayleigh, Essex UK
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Jan,
There are side-on plans of 2A and 2TL in S C Heal's book 'Ugly Ducklings' - Japan's WWII Liberty Type Standard Ships (ISBN 1-55125-057-8) together with lots of pics
Alternatively, Iwashige-san's excellent book 'Visual Guide of Japanese Wartime Merchant Marine (Vol 2) has plans for 2A and 2TL at the back.
Hope this helps
Jim S
There are side-on plans of 2A and 2TL in S C Heal's book 'Ugly Ducklings' - Japan's WWII Liberty Type Standard Ships (ISBN 1-55125-057-8) together with lots of pics
Alternatively, Iwashige-san's excellent book 'Visual Guide of Japanese Wartime Merchant Marine (Vol 2) has plans for 2A and 2TL at the back.
Hope this helps
Jim S
- Mike C
- Posts: 583
- Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:32 am
- Location: Peach State
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Is the page code for the Frog Foot World site screwed up, or is it just on my PC (Firefox)?
http://sachibiyoushitu.com/ff_01.html
http://sachibiyoushitu.com/ff_01.html
- janschu
- Posts: 141
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:36 pm
- Location: Germany
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hello Jim,
i have both of the mentioned books and know these drawings.
But i was hoping to get more informations about the full hulls, for example the framework.
But thank you anyway,
Jan
i have both of the mentioned books and know these drawings.
But i was hoping to get more informations about the full hulls, for example the framework.
But thank you anyway,
Jan
- Gilbert
- L'Arsenal

- Posts: 914
- Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:55 pm
- Location: 64700 Hendaye, FRANCE
-
Jim Smith
- Posts: 155
- Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location: Rayleigh, Essex UK
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Ami,
You requested details /images of Anyo Maru. Here is a photo on the Japanese Merchant ships (war losses) website
http://www.jsu.or.jp/siryo/map/taiwan/anyo.jpg
There is a further image and details on the WWII Navy Department - Division of Naval Intelligence ONI-208-J File which used to be available from History on CD-ROM (N582).
I think these files may now be available directly from the internet (sorry don't know exact address). They also detail tonnage, dimensions etc. etc.
Hope this helps
You requested details /images of Anyo Maru. Here is a photo on the Japanese Merchant ships (war losses) website
http://www.jsu.or.jp/siryo/map/taiwan/anyo.jpg
There is a further image and details on the WWII Navy Department - Division of Naval Intelligence ONI-208-J File which used to be available from History on CD-ROM (N582).
I think these files may now be available directly from the internet (sorry don't know exact address). They also detail tonnage, dimensions etc. etc.
Hope this helps
-
Ami
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:26 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hello Jim,
Thank you so much for the information!!
. I hope I succeed in my search. I will tell you more as soon as I find what I need.
Ami
Thank you so much for the information!!
Ami
Jim Smith wrote:Ami,
You requested details /images of Anyo Maru. Here is a photo on the Japanese Merchant ships (war losses) website
http://www.jsu.or.jp/siryo/map/taiwan/anyo.jpg
There is a further image and details on the WWII Navy Department - Division of Naval Intelligence ONI-208-J File which used to be available from History on CD-ROM (N582).
I think these files may now be available directly from the internet (sorry don't know exact address). They also detail tonnage, dimensions etc. etc.
Hope this helps
-
Ami
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:26 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hello again Jim,
I could find information about Anyo Maru and other cargo ships on http://hnsa.org/doc//id/oni208j-japan-m ... ex.htm#toc , Historic Naval Ships Association website
Thanks!
I could find information about Anyo Maru and other cargo ships on http://hnsa.org/doc//id/oni208j-japan-m ... ex.htm#toc , Historic Naval Ships Association website
Thanks!
Ami wrote:Hello Jim,
Thank you so much for the information!!![]()
![]()
. I hope I succeed in my search. I will tell you more as soon as I find what I need.
Ami![]()
Jim Smith wrote:Ami,
You requested details /images of Anyo Maru. Here is a photo on the Japanese Merchant ships (war losses) website
http://www.jsu.or.jp/siryo/map/taiwan/anyo.jpg
There is a further image and details on the WWII Navy Department - Division of Naval Intelligence ONI-208-J File which used to be available from History on CD-ROM (N582).
I think these files may now be available directly from the internet (sorry don't know exact address). They also detail tonnage, dimensions etc. etc.
Hope this helps
-
DavidK
- Posts: 171
- Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:01 pm
- Location: South Carolina
Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merc
It took me three days to read through this thread. Very interesting.
I have several questions.
1. Does Frogfoot still exist, and is there an English language vendor for their resin ship products?
2. Has anyone figured out the best approach for correcting the Pitroad Kamikawa Maru hull length problem?
3. Did Aoshima issue a Kimikawa Maru kit in the past two years, or just a PE set? I've only been able to find the PE set at HLJ or Freetime.
4. Has anyone tried to document and summarize the hull shapes of the available japanese merchant ships available as 1/700 plastic kits?
Thanks in advance for your answers.
I have several questions.
1. Does Frogfoot still exist, and is there an English language vendor for their resin ship products?
2. Has anyone figured out the best approach for correcting the Pitroad Kamikawa Maru hull length problem?
3. Did Aoshima issue a Kimikawa Maru kit in the past two years, or just a PE set? I've only been able to find the PE set at HLJ or Freetime.
4. Has anyone tried to document and summarize the hull shapes of the available japanese merchant ships available as 1/700 plastic kits?
Thanks in advance for your answers.