Page 1 of 1

1/350 USS Iowa BB 61

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:58 am
by Gordon Bjorklund
I started this build April 19, 2005 and worked on it off and on until October 2, 2005 and then put it away on the shelf. I took it out again earlier this month and have been working away on it. I'm glad this build started when the Tamiya Missouri kit was $50.00 instead of $100.00.

This build consists of the following items.

Tamiya's USS Missouri kit #78008
Tom's Model Works' "Late 1943 Iowa conversion"
Gold Medal Models' "WWII Battleship Missouri" 350-4 PE
Gold Medal Models' "Gold Plus Missouri" 350-4A PE
The Floating Drydock's "Warship's Data 3 USS Iowa BB 61 A Pictorial History Publication
Polly S # F505334 Navy Blue 5N
Polly S # F505338 Deck Blue 20B
Testors MM Acryl #4245 Light Gray 5L
Testors MM Acryl #4243 Deck Blue 20B
Testors MM Acryl #4241 Navy Blue 5N
Testors MM Acryl #4228 Anti-Fouling Red
Testors MM Acryl Flat Black

The time period of this build is between June 10, 1944 and June 13, 1944. There are two pictures in the Warship's Data book with these dates. The center fold out page has a small color picture and on page 39 there is a B&W picture with the dates. I believe they are in the process of painting the ship. The stern colors are darker than the bow and that's how I'm going to model my Iowa.

The main deck is ready for painting.
USS Iowa 001.jpg
USS Iowa 004.jpg
USS Iowa 007.jpg

Re: 1/350 USS Iowa BB 61

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:07 am
by Timmy C
Always nice to see a non-square bridge BB-61 class being built :)

Re: 1/350 USS Iowa BB 61

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:55 am
by MartinJQuinn
Very sharp - I like it!

Re: 1/350 USS Iowa BB 61

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:02 pm
by ArizonaBB39
Gordon,

She looks wonderful so far, this version of the Iowa is on my 'to do list'

Keep us updated!

Re: 1/350 USS Iowa BB 61

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:47 pm
by Gordon Bjorklund
Heres 's how she looks tonight. The decks and guns are painted. The resin parts are causing me some pain. They were primed four years ago with Tamiya's Spray Primer and it is now flacking off the parts. I've never had that problem before with Tamiya's primer. You can see where I've tried to remove it from some of the pieces.
USS Iowa 008.jpg
USS Iowa 009.jpg
USS Iowa 010.jpg
USS Iowa 011.jpg
I think the forward decks are to dark. I used Ocean Gray to lighten the Deck Blue. I think now it maybe should have been a lightened Ocean Gray.

Re: 1/350 USS Iowa BB 61

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:01 pm
by Gordon Bjorklund
I stared working on the Iowa again after a 6 month stint of doing nothing on the "to do later" pile. I had problems with the primer and the paint cracking and flaking off of the resin parts. I sanded off all the paint and let the parts soak overnite in in Castrol Super Clean and then washed them in Dawn dishsoap. This morning I put a coat of Tamiya spray primer on the parts. Hopefully they won't crack again.

Progress resumes.
USS Iowa.jpg

Re: 1/350 USS Iowa BB 61

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:38 pm
by Russ2146
824.jpg
825.jpg
826.jpg
1613.jpg
1787.jpg
1788.jpg
1793.jpg
6061.jpg
Stbd Aft 44.jpg
6063.jpg

Re: 1/350 USS Iowa BB 61

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:43 pm
by Russ2146
6064.jpg
6120.jpg
14273.jpg
16469.jpg
14275.jpg
Stbd Aft 44.jpg
ship_ Iowa & missouri3.jpg