Page 1 of 3

1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:32 am
by Kamil
Hello! :wave_1: I have decided to build one of the first Drednoughts. I must say thet I like more German ships than British thats why i have chosen a NAssau class ship. As you can see in the title I havent decided yet how will I name it. The Nassau class had four ships ( Nassau, Westfalen, Posen and Rheinland). Posen and Rheinland were slightly different form the first two ships.
I will begin my ship from building the forward structure :cool_2:
PS I am already building one ship on this forum
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=60551&start=0

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:05 pm
by Kamil
I have foun an interesting Osprey publication about Deutschland, Nassau and Helgoland battleship classes. This position hase few quite nice pics and info of the ships.

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:00 pm
by Dave Wooley
Hi Kamil Good luck with your build :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:
Dave Wooley

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:54 am
by Kamil
I have made some progres on the forward structure
Zdj?cie 1.jpg
Zdj?cie 2.jpg
Zdj?cie 2.jpg
Zdj?cie 3.jpg
Zdj?cie 4.jpg
Zdj?cie 5.jpg
Zdj?cie 6.jpg

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:59 am
by Dave Wooley
Kamil I will be following your build with interest. Question what scale are you using ?
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:20 pm
by Kamil
I am working in my favourite scale: 1/72. Here is a picture of an small motorboat from another of my ships ( SMS Elbing from First World War, in 1/72 scale). Ovcourse this boat can be olso placed on my new ship. I have also made the sailor next to it

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:03 am
by JIM BAUMANN
That will be a very large and impressive model !!

I look forwward toseiing your progress

JIM B :wave_1:

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:33 am
by Capit�o Norbert
Hi Kamil
very interesting building
i will follow too.
is from balsa? :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:45 pm
by Kamil
Ive made some progres

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:10 pm
by Kamil
Ive have prepared the 8.8 cm guns casemates.
Nadbudowa front.jpg
Nadbudowa bok.jpg

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:15 pm
by Dave Wooley
Hi Kamil Interesting construction . Question what type of material are you using ?
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:48 pm
by Kamil
The wood is balsa ( 1 - 2 mm), the white material is cardboard ( also 1 -2 mm)

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:59 pm
by Boulderboater
Hi Kamil, please where did you get the plans?
This is the same ship I want to build - so far all have got is small pics from the book you show, with a view to enlarging them. Have you got a better source please?
I hope you will keep up this site as you proceed with the build. Very helpful, and you should have a terrific ship!
At 1/72 scale I think that works out at about 80inches long? Am I right? What do you expect the displacement to be, I make it 114pounds! Do you have special transport, or strong back?
regards, Paul

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:36 pm
by Kamil
Hi Paul. I have recived this plans as a gift, so I dont know where they can be bought. I sucpect that they can find them in Germany. Those plans are in 1/100 scale. Mine ship will be 203 cm long. As for the transport I have decided to devide the hull into two sections.

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:22 am
by Neptune
Great ship to build, very interesting build too as I've gotten pretty interested in these ships the last couple of months and might actually try my hand at one too!
:thumbs_up_1:

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:02 pm
by Kamil
I have made the first casemate for the 8.8 cm gun

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:08 pm
by Kamil
The next step was to make searchlights. The Westfalen had on the front superstructure four reflectors. Ive decidet to "light up the ship"

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:54 am
by auroraboater
Kamil wrote:Hello! :wave_1: I have decided to build one of the first Drednoughts. I must say thet I like more German ships than British thats why i have chosen a NAssau class ship. As you can see in the title I havent decided yet how will I name it. The Nassau class had four ships ( Nassau, Westfalen, Posen and Rheinland). Posen and Rheinland were slightly different form the first two ships.
I will begin my ship from building the forward structure :cool_2:
PS I am already building one ship on this forum
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=60551&start=0
Hi KamilI would like a copy of your plans of the nassau ship, I will build the Westfalen ,Iwill pay yoy whatever cost for a copy of those plans. I am excidet abot the buildin g of that fat sucker.
Peter

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:44 pm
by Bigdaddy Mark
Now I've seen crafty, but man oh man those lighted search lights are great!

Re: 1/72 SMS Nassau / Westfalen

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:33 pm
by Kamil
Hi, Im sending some new pics of the forward conning tower (for the Westfalen will be the one not paineted yet) . The grey conning tower is from the Kaiser class. Notice that they are diffrent. On the side view You can notice that hte stering wheel and two compass are in position