Calling all Royal Navy E-class fans

Destroyers and Destroyer Escorts of all nations and eras.
DD, DDE, DE, FF, FFG, and DDR.

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey

Post Reply
User avatar
Laurence Batchelor
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 am
Location: Warwickshire, England

Post by Laurence Batchelor »

I forgoet to mention earlier that further information on the minelaying E-class can be found in Peter C Smith's book:
Into the Minefields : British Destroyer Minelaying 1916-1960.

Image

Also I spotted an excellent photograph showing the mine chutes on these E-class in the book HMNZS Achilles by Jack S. Harker.
It shows a closeup photograph of Esk from the port quarter being refuelled by Achilles and could be used as a basis for one to modify the Tamiya kits hull.

Image

I've yet to locate a good on deck photo showing the mine rails on Esk or Express.
I've found ones for the I-class and for the old V/W and S/T classes, but not the E's!
Cheers
LB
User avatar
Laurence Batchelor
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 am
Location: Warwickshire, England

Post by Laurence Batchelor »

One more image of Express someone just emailed me:

Image
User avatar
bengtsson
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: northern Minnesota

Post by bengtsson »

On the subject of RN DD minelaying. One of my favorite photos comes from the old reference book "Warships of World War I" by H.M Le Fleming.
This is on page 163 and shows a full 1/2 stern view of HMS Abdiel with a complete mineload alongside a LC also with full mine load. The LC [not named] has the over-under type of mine system [two rows of mines on each side] and Abdiel has a system that seems to consist of mine rails with a railing system around them up to about the lower sphere itself. Anyone else seen these sytems in other photos or drawings? Was that quasi railing system around the mines common in the RN WWI minelaying systems? Just as an aside, I read of German WWI DD minelaying and they mentioned that rails were not used but that each mine had a sort of wooden cradle that was tipped up along the side to release the mine. Not very safe I would think! I've never seen any photo evidence of that system. Has anyone else?

Bob B.
User avatar
Laurence Batchelor
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 am
Location: Warwickshire, England

Post by Laurence Batchelor »

One more image of Electa that I can share:

HMS Electra H27 July 1937 at Torbay
Image
User avatar
Laurence Batchelor
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 am
Location: Warwickshire, England

Post by Laurence Batchelor »

After some months of wondering if I had imagined the whole thing I finally came across again the 2 photographs taken onboard Electra picking up Repulse survivors that I knew I'd seen.

Elvis being sitied is more common than photographs of these ships out in the Far East and that is why I was determined to find these for you now the Tamiya kit is out.
The first reveals nothing of Electra, but I post the second below the best quality I could do.
As one can see it reveals the position of a cable reel and some canvass matting and we can also see the quad vickers in place at the very top of the photo.

Image

I hope it proves useful to you all who wish to model Electra as in Force Z.
Cheers
Last edited by Laurence Batchelor on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Quincy
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
Location: Monson, MA.

Post by Quincy »

This picture also shows a very fresh looking 507C. You can't make out the hull, but its most likely 507A. Also I didn't see any camouflage in this picture, meaning a Western Approaches scheme. Too bad there wasn't a full starboard or port shot to be certain.



Bob Pink.
dick

Post by dick »

I personally see the brighter WA White. Compare this photo with that of Electra in WA camouflage in the tropics in late 1941 on page two of this thread. No other part of the WA camouflage pattern would be visible in this limited view of the ship in any case.
User avatar
Laurence Batchelor
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 am
Location: Warwickshire, England

Post by Laurence Batchelor »

One final point is at least in December 1941 someone with a camera was certainly onboard her!
I still suspect more photos are somewhere waiting to be unearthed.
Last edited by Laurence Batchelor on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Laurence Batchelor
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 am
Location: Warwickshire, England

Post by Laurence Batchelor »

A Mr Richard Dennis sent me these things to further add to this interesting debate on E-class destroyers, this time 2 things for Express in 1941:

This is first is some artwork of Express hinting what might have been the shades of her Western Approaches panels , although the drawing only seems to show 1 funnel?:
Image

This second is a photograph of her in 1941 showing her camouflage on the starboard side which complements the port side one I gave earlier on p2. Mr Dennis believes it shows her taken from Freetown looking across the Sierra Leone river. Perhaps for those interested check the TROM of her I posted to get a more precise date as I'm a little busy now:

Image
Cheers
Last edited by Laurence Batchelor on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
ar

Post by ar »

Only one funnel; look again.

1941/42 period; that's 24 months. Come on, narrow it down a bit.
User avatar
Laurence Batchelor
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 am
Location: Warwickshire, England

Post by Laurence Batchelor »

The artwork at the top when I zoomed into the bottom of the image it shows only 1 funnel, the 2nd structure appeared to be RDF lattern on a lattice framework.
Looks more a V/W converison to me.
Are you confusing my comments with the photograph below?
ar

Post by ar »

Laurence Batchelor wrote:The artwork at the top when I zoomed into the bottom of the image it shows only 1 funnel, the 2nd structure appeared to be RDF lattern on a lattice framework.
Looks more a V/W converison to me.

Two funnels, look closely.


Are you confusing my comments with the photograph below?
NO.

Have you finished the Dunkirk thing yet? If not, then you should have.
User avatar
Laurence Batchelor
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 am
Location: Warwickshire, England

Post by Laurence Batchelor »

You might find out at Telford.
ar

Post by ar »

Laurence Batchelor wrote:You might find out at Telford.
You don't know do you. And you an aspiring author. Come on, cough up.
User avatar
Laurence Batchelor
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:20 am
Location: Warwickshire, England

Post by Laurence Batchelor »

I have no idea what your on about, please for once be specific.
Further, I'll tell you if you tell me, only fair.
User avatar
Avery Boyer
Posts: 934
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:56 pm
Location: Berks County, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by Avery Boyer »

I'm sure both these things have been asked before, but here goes.

First, how many kits are included in the Tamiya box? 1 or 2?

Second, would it be possible to convert the kit to HMS Hurricane (Havant class)? TIA :wave_1:
"It is best to remain silent and let others assume you are dumb than to speak up and remove all doubt"

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/
RNfanDan
Posts: 862
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: EN83

Post by RNfanDan »

Avery Boyer wrote:...would it be possible to convert the kit to HMS Hurricane (Havant class)? TIA :wave_1:
Virtually any A-I class destroyer kit can be converted/modified into another subclass. Other than "class leaders", there were two standard lengths (OA) of A-I units: 323 and 329 feet, plus or minus a few inches.

In 1:700 scale, this difference is a squeak under 103 one-thousandths of a real-life inch, so depending on your level of tolerance for inaccuracy, as well as your ability to scratchbuild bridges and other structural detail, one can convert rather easily between the various subclasses with almost no major kit surgery.

For class leaders say, HMS Faulknor, a small extension can be added--nothing more than thick plasticard plates inserted between cut-thru front and rear upper hull halves will work--to lengthen by the proper amount.

One good way to make twofers, is to build one E-class as a minelayer (less A and Y main guns) or in a late-war ASW/escort configuration (usually A-turret missing), thus freeing an extra gun and TT set for your choice among most class leaders, as the second ship.

I have done this in Perfect Scale with Airfix Hotspur kits, and hope to get back to finishing my Impulsive project, this winter.

Suggestions for you to consider.... :wave_1:
Last edited by RNfanDan on Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:no_2: Danny DON'T "waterline"...!
Graham Boak

Post by Graham Boak »

I answered this once - where did it go?

There is one kit in the box. Don't be greedy.

In 1/700 scale, six feet is more than 1/10th of an inch. Change your calculator battery.

For the short hulls, take it out of the rear of the fo'csle.

For the leaders, an extension is needed in the fo'csle and under the rear deckhouse, for just making one stretch will make life difficult for fitting the deck furniture. The leaders do differ in the position of the bridge, and no doubt other details.

I would appreciate it if someone would confirm whether or not the leaders required extra space between the funnels for the extra gun.

What colours are advised for the decks?
RNfanDan
Posts: 862
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:17 pm
Location: EN83

OOPS!

Post by RNfanDan »

Graham Boak wrote:
In 1/700 scale, six feet is more than 1/10th of an inch. Change your calculator battery.
:doh_1:

I apologize for that gaff, not a calculating problem but one of editing. I had started to write about their very small scale-beam variances, decided not to bother after all, then proceeded to splice the wrong text back together! :mad_1:

Thanks for the heads-up, Mr. Boak!
Graham Boak

Post by Graham Boak »

Different question: I've been asked about the camouflage on Echo when in the Med, spring 1942. Raven Vol 2 gives a dark scheme and a light scheme, but no advice as to when either was worn.

The context is to help the son of a US volunteer flying Spits into Malta. Echo was escort on Operation Bowery and/or Style. (I know which, I've just forgotten for the moment.)
Post Reply

Return to “Destroyers and Frigates”