Calling all Yamato (大和) and Musashi (武蔵) fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Great to see your work, Chuck. She's looking very nice. I like the aerial on the 15.5cm turret.
Hmm, I suppose a light sanding stick would not help much on the bowing w/o blurring the seams?
Hmm, I suppose a light sanding stick would not help much on the bowing w/o blurring the seams?
- chuck
- Posts: 3384
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
- Location: equidistant to everywhere
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Thanks, TimCadman wrote:Nice work Chuck. I too like the decking.
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
- chuck
- Posts: 3384
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
- Location: equidistant to everywhere
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
I tried that. Sanding a bowed plank merely cause the plank to bow up more. I took a needle and dabbed highly fluid CA glue wherever the planks bowed to keep the plank down. This mostly did the trick. The very fluid CA glue also helps with plank seams. A little CA glue tends to spread along the plank seams. Once I sand away the thin layer of congealed CA glue on the surface of the planks, the glue that remains in the seams subtly picks out the plank seams fairly realistically.Dan K wrote:
Hmm, I suppose a light sanding stick would not help much on the bowing w/o blurring the seams?
Main problem with CA glue is it appears to penetrate fairly deeply into the wood. Sanding away the congealed layer on the surface still leaves the glue that penetrated into the wood. This has little effect on appearance, but appears to prevent sealing agents from penetrating.
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
- Kym Knight
- Posts: 591
- Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:21 pm
- Location: Sarina, Nth Queensland
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
I've just started my Tamiya Yamato using the White Ensign P/E set and have just to get this off my chest. Firstly, beautiful set but what the hell were they thinking with those useless instructions. The way they are written, anybody who uses them has to be a real life 1:1 ship builder. I've used my fair share of P/E sets and I'm at a total loss as to where half the stuff goes and not once does it ever tell you that this part replaces this Tamiya part ect, always some reference to some location that could mean a very large area. How hard would it have been to say :This rail goes on this Tamiya part or this air vent replaces this Tamiya part". The vents, by the way, have had me absolutely confused for the last two days. Most of the vents are not even the same shape as the parts they replace, obviously the corrected shape, but nevertheless, very confusing. I suppose I'll battle through, but god help any new comer to the world of photo-etch who chooses the WEM Yamato set.
Anybody else had this problem or am I just going dyslexic?
Rant end.
Anybody else had this problem or am I just going dyslexic?
Rant end.

I was depressed last night, so I rang lifeline. Got a call centre in
Afghanistan and told them I was suicidal.
They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck.
- chuck
- Posts: 3384
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
- Location: equidistant to everywhere
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
WEM kit appears to be closely based on AOTS Yamato, and many of the vents in the WEM set addresses omission in the Tamiya kit. But where Tamiya made significant outright mistakes WEM choose to go with the flow and adapt to Tamiya rather than against the flow and require the user to perform significant surgery on plastic to correct Tamiya. If you describe the parts I can tell you where it should go.
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
- Kym Knight
- Posts: 591
- Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:21 pm
- Location: Sarina, Nth Queensland
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Thanks Chuck. I'm just going to plod on for the moment doing other sub-assemblies, but eventually I'll have a list for you as the 'mysterious parts' become necessary to complete.

I was depressed last night, so I rang lifeline. Got a call centre in
Afghanistan and told them I was suicidal.
They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck.
-
ir3
- Posts: 39
- Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 4:42 pm
- Location: West Hills, CA
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Nichimo has released a 2008 revised edition of the 1:200 Yamato. Does anyone know what changes were made. Also, a second question: Is anyone producing true sized turrets at 1:200 scale for the Yamato. The current PE for the 1:200 Yamato has railings that fit the turrets according to Skulskie's book and not the undersized Nichimo Turrets.
Thanks,
IR3
Thanks,
IR3
- Kym Knight
- Posts: 591
- Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:21 pm
- Location: Sarina, Nth Queensland
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
I didn't know that, I'll have to check mine. You are talking about the Gold Medal Model P/E set?The current PE for the 1:200 Yamato has railings that fit the turrets according to Skulskie's book and not the undersized Nichimo Turrets.

I was depressed last night, so I rang lifeline. Got a call centre in
Afghanistan and told them I was suicidal.
They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck.
-
ir3
- Posts: 39
- Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 4:42 pm
- Location: West Hills, CA
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
It is the GMM. He indicated last year that he did the PE to the dimensions in the Skulski book. It's a shame because I would suspect that there are more Nichimo builders than scratch builders but I could be wrong. Any idea what the 2008 Revised edition changes might be?
Thanks,
IR3
Thanks,
IR3
- chuck
- Posts: 3384
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
- Location: equidistant to everywhere
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Have you considered using Nachinmo turret as a core, and building out the turret with styrene sheets? That's what I am doing with Trumepter's undersized Richelieu turrets.ir3 wrote:Nichimo has released a 2008 revised edition of the 1:200 Yamato. Does anyone know what changes were made. Also, a second question: Is anyone producing true sized turrets at 1:200 scale for the Yamato. The current PE for the 1:200 Yamato has railings that fit the turrets according to Skulskie's book and not the undersized Nichimo Turrets.
Thanks,
IR3
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
- Kym Knight
- Posts: 591
- Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:21 pm
- Location: Sarina, Nth Queensland
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Help Chuck or anybody,
Did the Yamato use the outboard poles with ladders for tying up the ships boats once launched and if so, where were they positioned? I can't find any reference in the Anatomy book.
These are the things I'm talking about.

Did the Yamato use the outboard poles with ladders for tying up the ships boats once launched and if so, where were they positioned? I can't find any reference in the Anatomy book.
These are the things I'm talking about.


I was depressed last night, so I rang lifeline. Got a call centre in
Afghanistan and told them I was suicidal.
They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck.
- chuck
- Posts: 3384
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
- Location: equidistant to everywhere
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Yes. Yamato had boat booms on both sides of the hull, exactly abreast of the stack, just above the degaussing cable run, pivoting at the front.
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
- Kym Knight
- Posts: 591
- Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:21 pm
- Location: Sarina, Nth Queensland
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Thanks Chuck, I found them in the book now that I know where to look.

I was depressed last night, so I rang lifeline. Got a call centre in
Afghanistan and told them I was suicidal.
They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck.
- Yamato1701
- Posts: 36
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:19 am
- Location: Laurel, MD
- Contact:
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Sorry for being late to the game folks, but I've been out of the country on buisness for the last 10 months and am looking forward to going back into yamato building. Problem I am having is that I can't seem to find a nichimo 1/200 version on the net. The only respectable looking website that advertises has screwed me over this model before (aka internethobbies.com), so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Am I strange, that every time I see a picture or mention of the Yamato, I hear Starblazers music in my head?
Battleship Myspace Group:
http://groups.myspace.com/Battleships

Battleship Myspace Group:
http://groups.myspace.com/Battleships

-
ir3
- Posts: 39
- Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 4:42 pm
- Location: West Hills, CA
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Try some of the shops in Japan. With the price including shipping you should do quite well. I don't want to appear to represent any of the suppliers but a Google search should find several places to get the kit.
Good luck,
IR3
Good luck,
IR3
- Timmy C
- Posts: 12473
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm
- Location: Ottawa, Canada
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
HLJ has the Nichimo 1/200 in stock: http://www.hlj.com/product/NCMU-2001
De quoi s'agit-il?
- J. Soca
- Posts: 2161
- Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:36 pm
- Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
I don�t even know how i�m writing this i�m really deadbeat from work but i had to ask this if not i probably would�ve forgotten until reading about Yamato�s top speed again. You see, today while i was on Wikipedia reading about the Type 93 �long Lance� torpedo almost at the end of the page on the note�s section i read something that whoever wrote this article about the torp decided to add too. As i mentioned before it has to do with Yamato�s top speed, this fellow wrote according to a japanese officer named �Itsuo Mikasa� who was onboard Yamato from the beginning to the very end claimed that the ship's top speed was �29. 8" knots same top speed battleship Hie had, i�ll say the Kongo class. I�ve always read Yamato's maximum speed was 27 knots, is it possible she could�ve gotten to almost 30 knots? And does any one know if this officer Itsuo Mikasa survived Yamato�s sinking? Can any of you backup the top speed statement? Looking forward to some answers and TIA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_93_to ... ite_note-0
Jose
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_93_to ... ite_note-0
Jose
- chuck
- Posts: 3384
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
- Location: equidistant to everywhere
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
I seriously doubt Yamato can do 30 knots. Here are my reasons:
1. Yamato's existence was top secret throughout her live. The Japanese didn't need to understate her speed because they never needed to state her speed at all!
2. The highest speed for the Yamato ever found in records that survived the war was 28.06 knots, which was consistent with her designed max speed of 27.5 knots - if one thinks that her designed speed might have some stipulations attached, like the ship having been out of dry dock for 6 month and thus have barnacles growing on her bottom, so she could do 0.5 knots more when her bottom was freshly painted and cleam
3. The 3 other battleship close to Yamato's size that actually came to or close to construction stage, the Montana class, Sovietskya Suyuza and the H-39 classes, all needed way more than Yamato's engine power to reach just 28 knots.
1. Yamato's existence was top secret throughout her live. The Japanese didn't need to understate her speed because they never needed to state her speed at all!
2. The highest speed for the Yamato ever found in records that survived the war was 28.06 knots, which was consistent with her designed max speed of 27.5 knots - if one thinks that her designed speed might have some stipulations attached, like the ship having been out of dry dock for 6 month and thus have barnacles growing on her bottom, so she could do 0.5 knots more when her bottom was freshly painted and cleam
3. The 3 other battleship close to Yamato's size that actually came to or close to construction stage, the Montana class, Sovietskya Suyuza and the H-39 classes, all needed way more than Yamato's engine power to reach just 28 knots.
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
- J. Soca
- Posts: 2161
- Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:36 pm
- Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
chuck wrote:I seriously doubt Yamato can do 30 knots. Here are my reasons:
1. Yamato's existence was top secret throughout her live. The Japanese didn't need to understate her speed because they never needed to state her speed at all!
2. The highest speed for the Yamato ever found in records that survived the war was 28.06 knots, which was consistent with her designed max speed of 27.5 knots - if one thinks that her designed speed might have some stipulations attached, like the ship having been out of dry dock for 6 month and thus have barnacles growing on her bottom, so she could do 0.5 knots more when her bottom was freshly painted and cleam
3. The 3 other battleship close to Yamato's size that actually came to or close to construction stage, the Montana class, Sovietskya Suyuza and the H-39 classes, all needed way more than Yamato's engine power to reach just 28 knots.
Good points those, specially on the first one
Jose
- sgtryan13
- Posts: 2651
- Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:48 pm
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
OK, I am throwing out a life line here! I am certainly not new to modeling, but somehow over teh years, I have never had to scratch build blast bags. I have made a couple attempts so far on my 1/200 Yamato, but I am never happy with the results. The pictures show my latest attempt using tissue paper soaked with diluted white glue. I am still very unhappy with how they look, and I am looking for input on weather any experts who have tackled this build think I have at least a decent base so far, or if i should strip it off and try again or try another method???
Any help and input is greatly appreciated, and don't worry about hurting my feelings, be honest, as I said, I am not happy with how they look so far anyways!
Any help and input is greatly appreciated, and don't worry about hurting my feelings, be honest, as I said, I am not happy with how they look so far anyways!
Enlisted men are stupid, but very cunning and deceitful and bear considerable watching." - Marine Corps Officers Manual, 1894
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html