My name is John, and I am a Software Executive by trade. I have been building model battleships since I was a teenager in the '70s, starting with a 1/720 Massachusetts, then moving on to the Revell Missouri and Arizona, the Lindberg Bismarck and Hood (I was a kid, and they were big and cheap) and eventually culminating in my teen years with the Tamiya 1/350 Yamato. Then came lots of work, wife and kids, and I didn't build another battleship until the 90s - when I built the Tamiya Bismarck and New Jersey in 1/350. These two marked my introduction to working with Etched Brass. Another super-busy career period, a lot of models purchased, stashed and not started.
I bought the Academy Graf Spee deluxe edition a few months ago. It came with a wood deck, and metal barrels and I thought, "Wow. How the hobby has changed from the days of the painted tan on my Yamato, and sewing thread rigging." One of the kits in my "purchase and stash pile" was the Eastern Express (before it was acquired by Zvezda) Borodino in 1/350. I bought the White Ensign Brass, and the metal barrels, and searched around for a wood deck - and nobody made one. In fact, I discovered that there are a LOT of kits that don't have wood decks. More on that in a minute.
I found a wood deck for the Revell Bismarck on eBay, so I purchased that - along with one for the Yamato - both in 1/350. And I bought the Hasagewa Nagato 1944 in 1/350, and was very impressed with the deck that came with that kit...
So I started thinking that I really wanted a wood deck for the Borodino, but I wanted it to be really good. And I wanted better deck options for the other kits that I planned to build. For example, I came to realize that if I combined my Revell Bismarck with my LionRoar Super-Detail Etched Brass, that the wood deck that was cut to fit the factory kit would have holes for all of those fittings that the LionRoar brass kit told me to scrape off and remove!
So then I thought that I needed a wood deck for the Borodino, and one to fit the Super Detail Brass for the Bismarck, and I want to build the Varyag after the Borodino, so I would have to have a matching deck for that...
Sorry. I am easily distracted.
This will be the base post on this thread, and I will post replies showing the work as I go. Stay tuned!


