Calling all Borodino (Бородино) class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Battleships and Battlecruisers of all nations and eras.
BB and BC.

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey

Post Reply
Bondoman
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Bondoman »

Here's where I'm at:
Image
User avatar
ironclad
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:25 am

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by ironclad »

Hello All!

Bondoman! Good model! New very beautiful model coming. From distance work seems very accurate. I am very glad, seing it. :good_job:


New links:

Here http://www.archive.org/ You can find book "From Libau to Tsushima." by E.Politovskii (Letters, published by his widow.) ( 6 versions- use search ). Attention! Author was a very specific, depressive subject. Being absolutely not a seaman-type, He hated sea, ships, dangerous journey, separation from vife and comfort of home.

The battle of the Sea of Japan, by Nicolas Klado and numerous other officers, eye-witnesses, and commanders of vessels who participated in the battles of Tsushima and Matsushima (1906)
http://www.archive.org/details/battleof ... 00kladuoft Book contributor: Robarts - University of Toronto
http://www.archive.org/details/battleofseaofjap00klad Book contributor: University of California Libraries

cerberusjf wrote about model of Yuri Logazyak. : http://www.modelships.ru/content/view/15/3/ - much hard work, interesting model, with mistakes, of course.
DariusP
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by DariusP »

Looks good Bandoman :thumbs_up_1:

Ironclad, I am reading "From Libau to Tsushima" right now and what astonishes me is the fact that Politovskii's letters reached his wife at all! It is also interesting that, with squadron of this size, Russians considered themselves to be under constant threat of an attack by Japanese! During the day, every ship they spotted was assumed to be a spy ship. During the night, every light was suspicious too and, if there were no lights, it only meant that enemy was trying to sneak up on them with lights off!
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H. L. Mencken
User avatar
Charlestonguy
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:23 am
Location: South Carolina USA

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Charlestonguy »

Quick question, what is this I have circled?
Attachments
borodino neet.jpg
"Only two sailors, in my experience, never ran aground. One never left
port and the other was an atrocious liar."
-Don Bamford
Kronma 77
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:42 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Kronma 77 »

Charlestonguy wrote:...what is this I have circled?
These are details (elements) of a design of net defence.

Image

:smallsmile:
DariusP
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by DariusP »

On old Tsushima board in thread called "??????? ???????? ? ???????? ????????" (Color of ships and accuracy of fire) realswat wrote: "??? ???????? ???????? ???, ? ????? ??? ??? ????????? ????????.

Their hulls were vague grey outlines, dimly seen, whose light yellow funnels with black tops somtimes stood out in startlingly strong contrast.
?????? ????????? ???:
?? ??????? ????? ??????? ????? ?????????, ? ?????? ??????????, ?????? ??????-?????? ????? ? ?????? ?????? ??????? ?????? "???????????" ??????????? ????."

Does anybody know who is this Jackson (???????) he quotes?
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H. L. Mencken
johnd13
Scale Decks
Scale Decks
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:33 am
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by johnd13 »

And here is my latest test fit... I'm about as far along as Bondoman, just working different priorities... I think mine makes an interesting contrast with is - two different interpretations!

More pictures on this WIP thread: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=64144
Test Fit- lots of pieces just friction fit in place...
Test Fit- lots of pieces just friction fit in place...
scaledecks.com - Proud Sponsor of the ModelWarships.com community!
Kronma 77
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:42 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Kronma 77 »

DariusP wrote:Does anybody know who is this Jackson (???????) he quotes?
He was one of the British Naval Attaches, and he participated in Tsushima battle on "ADZUMA".
:smallsmile:
Image
DariusP
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by DariusP »

Thank you Kronma :thumbs_up_1:
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H. L. Mencken
User avatar
ironclad
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:25 am

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by ironclad »

Hello All!
DariusP wrote:It is also interesting that, with squadron of this size, Russians considered themselves to be under constant threat of an attack by Japanese! During the day, every ship they spotted was assumed to be a spy ship. During the night, every light was suspicious too and, if there were no lights, it only meant that enemy was trying to sneak up on them with lights off!
Darius!
Voyage was difficult for people, but constant threat of an attack made it worse. Squadron made the whole journey in the state of permanent alarm. People were sleeping only part of the night, changing each other near anti-torpedo guns. Some important coalings were canceled, because of reports about possible attacks.

It is all because of extremely large stream of disinformation about threat of an attack, during the whole journey coming to Rozestvenski and his staff directly from Petersbourgh, or from local "agents". For Me it seems like, at the period of Nikolay II ruling, real Tsar was Corruption - it dictated all decisions of superiors. Enormous quantity of money was "spend" on different "projects", one of many was "organisation of safety" of second squadron. People, used in these "projects", were different adventurers and fraudsters. They received enormous quantity of money (of course not only they, but also somebody else), and needed "results", to send in return. So, the "results" were made in enormous quantity, showing their "hard work". It is official version. Also many people ( and I, also ) suspect, that some of Russian diplomats and superiors in many situations of that war were acting against Russian interests. For money corrupted thief easily becomes a traitor. Seems, this "pressing" of threat of an attack was organised by enemies of Russia of that period, as instrument, lowering morale and increasing fatigue of crews.
Last edited by ironclad on Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Charlestonguy
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:23 am
Location: South Carolina USA

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Charlestonguy »

My thanks to Kronma as well :thumbs_up_1:
"Only two sailors, in my experience, never ran aground. One never left
port and the other was an atrocious liar."
-Don Bamford
Kronma 77
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:42 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Kronma 77 »

ironclad wrote: Somewhere I saw posts, that SUVOROV vent...on voyage was repainted white.
I`m nothing heard about it, and never saw it in photos.
:smallsmile:
Bondoman
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Bondoman »

Tonight I built the masts. There's no way the kit system with three sections butt jointed end to end will ever hold up to rigging. The mast parts have a nice taper though, so I drilled them out and pinned them together. Seems solid...
Cut off the strakes and added the prop/ rudder assemblies to the steam pinnaces. Looks nice, and I'll scrape the paint off the props when I have finished painting the hulls.
Image
Otherwise just about wrapped up with the railings topside, and ready to start on all of the details.

Image
Image
Wish those barrels would show up...
DariusP
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by DariusP »

I am sure they will show up Bandoman! Besides, turrets can be added at any point so lack of barrels isn't really holding you up? But I know just what you mean :)
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H. L. Mencken
Kronma 77
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:42 pm
Location: Moscow, Russia

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Kronma 77 »

Bondoman, great job! :thumbs_up_1:
Bondoman
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Bondoman »

Thanks! You are right abt the barrels. I will have the two primaries popped on last.

As usual, the ships boats are a big exercise. The WEM set came with nice etched thwarts, abt 16 of them! But the directions are to hog out the little thwarts cast in the boats first! Hopefully that's easy. Also I'm having a little trouble finding photos of the steam boats, but I know they're in here somewhere. I expect the little stacks are too short on the models. Easy to replace. It looks like all the oars and tarps and such for the other boats got stored on the boat beams between the cradles, not in the boats.
The kit has six davit mounted boats, the directions, which are for Suvorov, have all of the davit sets installed, but only the two boats at the stern hanging. Could be Borodino had all six.

Researching ships boats here is tricky as they seem to rarely if ever be a full complement on board.

Last question- these show up in the drawings but not photos: Maxim guns?

Thank you, and hopefully this holiday a big push forward.
johnd13
Scale Decks
Scale Decks
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:33 am
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by johnd13 »

Bondoman wrote:But the directions are to hog out the little thwarts cast in the boats first! Hopefully that's easy.
I did mine already, and I'll try to post some pictures in the next couple of days. You gotta have a DREMEL. I don't know how I lived without one. I started with a large burr (sometimes called an engraving cutter) that was about the size of a small pearl. It knocked out most of the thwarts in the middle. Then I switched to a tiny burr to get into the corners and tight spaces. To smooth out the inside, I went back to the large burr and worked the whole insides, and even thinned out the walls a bit. (The burrs also did a nice job on my vents on the deck, too, and the fine burr was even able to make the turn down into the pipe to add some depth and detail.)
The big one I used was a 107.  I did the fine work with a 105.
The big one I used was a 107. I did the fine work with a 105.
engvctrs.gif (16.05 KiB) Viewed 1865 times
The thing to watch out for is to keep the tool moving to not build up too much heat through friction. Lots of passes, in lots of small layers. If you let the head sit in any one place for too long, it heats up and melts and then pokes right on through...
scaledecks.com - Proud Sponsor of the ModelWarships.com community!
Bondoman
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Bondoman »

Thank you for the "tips"!
DariusP
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by DariusP »

Ironclad, I understand what you mean but I still think that, if it was decided to send a fleet on round the world journey into unknown, they should have been provided with at least some means of scouting and screening. I know that, after the fall of Port Arthur, Russia did only have 4 cruisers worthy of their name (Avrora, Oleg, Izumrud and Zhemchug) but 4 brand new battleships were send with Avrora as their only real means of gathering intelligence!
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." H. L. Mencken
Bondoman
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Calling all Borodino class (Tsushima 1905) fans

Post by Bondoman »

I have only read the one book, "The Tsar's Last Armada" so far. There was such a lack of intelligence that the bulk of the fleet could not travel through the Suez canal for rear of ambush there by the Japanese. And of course the "Battle of Dogger Bank" is almost beyond belief.

But I'm reminded of when the Iranian Revolution took the hostages in our embassy. The US State Department had no Farsi speakers, in 1977.
Post Reply

Return to “Battleships”