Calling all Yamato (大和) and Musashi (武蔵) fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
- bucketfoot-al
- Posts: 495
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
- Location: The Lone Star State
- Contact:
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Well, you could buy Harry O's open parts - keeping in mind you'd have to put them together. GPM Models in Poland sells complete photoetch AA .25 mm sets - whether you want to try putting them together depends on your skill level. I only used the barrels and magazines that I mounted on top of the Nichimo plastic bases.
Here is the link - check it out and let us know what you think.
In the alternative you can ask around this board - I know there are members who have ordered directly from Nichimo and that Nichimo will indeed sell you the parts.
Here is a link to the page showing all the 25 mm parts. They have three photoetch kits - one for the single 25 mm, one for the double (you can use this one for the two two-barrell 13 mm guns on the sides of the main tower), and one for the triple AA.
Keep in mind that each set is for 6 triple AAA mounts. You buy the barrels separately, but GPM is insanely cheap for these photoetch items and they are first rate.
http://www.gpm.pl/eng/index.php?akcja=wyszukiwanie
Here is the link - check it out and let us know what you think.
In the alternative you can ask around this board - I know there are members who have ordered directly from Nichimo and that Nichimo will indeed sell you the parts.
Here is a link to the page showing all the 25 mm parts. They have three photoetch kits - one for the single 25 mm, one for the double (you can use this one for the two two-barrell 13 mm guns on the sides of the main tower), and one for the triple AA.
Keep in mind that each set is for 6 triple AAA mounts. You buy the barrels separately, but GPM is insanely cheap for these photoetch items and they are first rate.
http://www.gpm.pl/eng/index.php?akcja=wyszukiwanie
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
- Senkan
- Posts: 586
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
- Location: Virginia
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Hey Vlad. I have the 152 25mm guns from GPM. I was considering getting Harry's 25mm guns but wasnt willing to pay $120. I was thinking of getting the GPM set which costs like $80 but Im not sure I want to put all that time into getting them looking right. At this point Im considering buying a used model and using the parts off it and then selling the hull later on.
Looking at it realisticly Im not in a hurry. I need to paint the hull before I really get into the build and I wont be able to paint it before spring (no garage here and there is snow on the ground).
On another note...did you get your package yet from Amazon? Anything new?
Looking at it realisticly Im not in a hurry. I need to paint the hull before I really get into the build and I wont be able to paint it before spring (no garage here and there is snow on the ground).
On another note...did you get your package yet from Amazon? Anything new?
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
- bucketfoot-al
- Posts: 495
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
- Location: The Lone Star State
- Contact:
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Senkan. Yes - if you go back a page you'll see my 'review.' Worse than bad. Embarrassing. I really don't want to talk about it anymore. 
In any event I left them a nice 1-star review on Amazon. Don't think that they'll sell any over there.

In any event I left them a nice 1-star review on Amazon. Don't think that they'll sell any over there.
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
-
Akula
- Posts: 62
- Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:31 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
who is Harry O???
"you could buy Harry O's open parts"
Does this have a website??
B
"you could buy Harry O's open parts"
Does this have a website??
B
- bucketfoot-al
- Posts: 495
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
- Location: The Lone Star State
- Contact:
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Harry Ohanian. He's built a lot of after-market 1/200 Yamato parts (including a must-have set of resin 18" gun turrets.)Akula wrote:who is Harry O???
"you could buy Harry O's open parts"
Does this have a website??
B
Here is his ebay store (looks like he's not selling anything over the holidays, but keep checking):
http://myworld.ebay.com/resellersunlimited2007/
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
- Doug Hallet
- Posts: 214
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:43 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Does anyone want to take a stab at what the correct color for the interior of Yamato's (or any other IJN ship's) hangar areas might have been? I'm thinking of one of those light yellow-ocre or light green colors you often see on the interiors of ships as an alternative to having everything gray...at the very least, would want something a little lighter than the hull color to increase visibility. Any painting instructions included in one of those recently released IJN carrier models?
- Senkan
- Posts: 586
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
- Location: Virginia
Yamato Aircraft Deck Surface?
Is it tread plate or concrete? I've seen images that show it as treadplate but I want to be sure before I attempt to alter the model.
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
- Doug Hallet
- Posts: 214
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:43 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Probably no one really knows for sure. Lionroar set #2 has both the hangar well and floor area entrance to the hangar as tread plate. I understand that interior areas of IJN ships were generally painted white, but I doubt that would apply to a room as large as a hangar. Will probably go with a lighter gray than hull color to allow it to be seen a little better.
-
gmphill78
Yamato's 25mm single guns
Did Yamato have her 25mm single guns at the time of her sinking? I thought I read once that they had been removed before her sinking. Thanks in advance.
- Doug Hallet
- Posts: 214
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:43 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
There were only six left by 4/45, two on each side of #1 turret behind a sandbagged shield, and two on the stern.
- Seabee Mike
- Posts: 37
- Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:51 pm
- Location: Williamsburg, VA
Looking for a scrap Tamiya 1/350 Yamato or Musashi
I'm looking for a scrap Tamiya 1/350 Yamato or Musashi for a project I have in development. Box, instructions, and hull are not critical - or even really needed. More interested in the superstructure and weapons pieces.
Please contact me offline if you have a possible candidate.
Please contact me offline if you have a possible candidate.
In the Shipyard:
1/350 Yamato
1/350 USS Intrepid CVA-11 (1954 SCB-27C)
1/350 Uss Nimitz (1976 Med Cruise)
1/350 Yamato
1/350 USS Intrepid CVA-11 (1954 SCB-27C)
1/350 Uss Nimitz (1976 Med Cruise)
- chuck
- Posts: 3384
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:21 pm
- Location: equidistant to everywhere
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
The walls and ceilings of the hangers of Japanese carriers appears to be white, and that is a much larger space than Yamato's hangers. The hanger is a working space where maintenance is carried out. Making the walls and ceilings white would greatly improve the illumination and enhance the efficiency with which maintenance work can be carried out.Doug Hallet wrote:Probably no one really knows for sure. Lionroar set #2 has both the hangar well and floor area entrance to the hangar as tread plate. I understand that interior areas of IJN ships were generally painted white, but I doubt that would apply to a room as large as a hangar. Will probably go with a lighter gray than hull color to allow it to be seen a little better.
I also assumed the inside of the boat tubes on the sides of Yamato's hull to be white for the same reason.
Assessing the impact of new area rug under modeling table.
- Doug Hallet
- Posts: 214
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:43 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Chuck, yes, but for scale effect in 1/350, pure white would look too garish. I think a light gray will work better in this case.
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Would you suggest that for a 1/500 Yamato from Fujimi ? Cause I was going for a mix of white and light gray.
- Dr_Who2
- Posts: 67
- Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:05 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
The picture is shown insandman wrote:Hello Gents,
If you know more about the below picture, could you please indicate the original source for it?
This picture seems to indicate it was made in 1945, however, there are several differences between what is nowadays assumed to be the 1945 Yamato's appearance (for instance you might want to refer to the main mast that looks more like the �original� design � prior to the assumed 1944 refit), I almost start to question the authenticity of this picture.
Pretty much all the vertical ladders visible in this picture are located at a slightly different position. There also does not appear to be any external vertical reinforcements on the upper side of the low angle director / 10m range finder supporting tower. Doing also the geometric calculations, it appears that the open 25mm AA triple mounts (next to second auxiliary guns turret) are located significantly much closer to the superstructure than depicted in ATOS Yamato or 1/10 Kure model.
I will be more than happy to discuss these differences with you as soon as we conclude on the authenticity of the picture.
P.S. I don�t know where the idea of octagonal shape of the open 25mm AA triple mounts tub came from, as there is a good chance that someone was looking at a picture like this and took the deck�s railings for the edges of an octagon. Considering the shades on the tubs, they look pretty circular to me. But then again, the tub on top of 3rd main turret looks also circular despite the nowadays general assumption that those tubs are hexagons. I'm going to cry...
P.P.S. I'm working for some time now on customizing the 1/250 Yamato (ARII version of the kit) and I deeply regret the times when I was considering the Skulski�s ATOS the ultimate Yamato bible. Now I�m questioning pretty much everything and I admit that in the face of this void of historic evidence and abundance of contradictory information, I�m struggling to not give up to the temptation of inventing details for the simple reason they would look cool.
Marine Arsenal - Sonderband 20 - Das "Gesicht" der Kriegsschiffe Teil 2: Schornsteine by Siegfried Breyer on page 29.
The caption sais: ... was located on the super battleship YAMATO. As you can see on this Model picture ...
Best
Dr_Who2
kind regards
Dr_Who�
Dr_Who�
- bucketfoot-al
- Posts: 495
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
- Location: The Lone Star State
- Contact:
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Hello Dr Who2.
Its an interesting photo. I do not know where it came from but I recall removing it from my Yamato Photo Archive website after a lengthy discussion on this forum that concluded that the photo is most likely of a model of Yamato, "aged" to make it appear like a 1945 vintage photo.
Its telling that this photo does not appear in a single Japanese Yamato photo book that I have seen (and I have about a dozen of them.) To me it would be highly unlikely that such a detailed photo - and it would be the only known close-up of Yamato around the time of ten-ichi-go if it was real - would be left out of the Japanese books which are sourced from the National Archives of the US as well as some private Japanese sources.
So, sorry to rain on your parade, but until someone comes up with information to the contrary regarding the source of this picture, we'll continue to assume that it is a photo-shopped photo of a detailed model (like the quote from the book you cite appears to indicate.)
Take heart and don't get down - the best current interpretation of the deck arrangement of Yamato during ten-ichi-go is based on the latest Japanese research and some relatively recently discovered National Archive photos. Much of that research was done in preparation for the 2005 60th anniversary of Yamato's doomed final mission. The 1/10 Kure model predates that research and is almost certainly wrong in some details, particularly concerning the shape of the deck shields (shields, NOT buckets) for the open .25 cal mounts.
I linked to the following site on my web gallery. It shows the progression of both Yamato and Musashi deck and superstructure features throughout the life of the two ships. Google translator is somewhat helpful to translate the text, although it leaves a lot to be desired.
Take a look here: http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... =&ie=UTF-8
Its an interesting photo. I do not know where it came from but I recall removing it from my Yamato Photo Archive website after a lengthy discussion on this forum that concluded that the photo is most likely of a model of Yamato, "aged" to make it appear like a 1945 vintage photo.
Its telling that this photo does not appear in a single Japanese Yamato photo book that I have seen (and I have about a dozen of them.) To me it would be highly unlikely that such a detailed photo - and it would be the only known close-up of Yamato around the time of ten-ichi-go if it was real - would be left out of the Japanese books which are sourced from the National Archives of the US as well as some private Japanese sources.
So, sorry to rain on your parade, but until someone comes up with information to the contrary regarding the source of this picture, we'll continue to assume that it is a photo-shopped photo of a detailed model (like the quote from the book you cite appears to indicate.)
Take heart and don't get down - the best current interpretation of the deck arrangement of Yamato during ten-ichi-go is based on the latest Japanese research and some relatively recently discovered National Archive photos. Much of that research was done in preparation for the 2005 60th anniversary of Yamato's doomed final mission. The 1/10 Kure model predates that research and is almost certainly wrong in some details, particularly concerning the shape of the deck shields (shields, NOT buckets) for the open .25 cal mounts.
I linked to the following site on my web gallery. It shows the progression of both Yamato and Musashi deck and superstructure features throughout the life of the two ships. Google translator is somewhat helpful to translate the text, although it leaves a lot to be desired.
Take a look here: http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... =&ie=UTF-8
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
- Dr_Who2
- Posts: 67
- Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:05 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Sorry for my shortcomings ...
The initial question by sandman was:
"If you know more about the below picture, could you please indicate the original source for it?"
I gave the source of the photo in my last reply.
The cited caption in the magazine explicitly sais, it is showing a model of the Yamato, not a photo of the real ship.
Best
Dr_Who2
The initial question by sandman was:
"If you know more about the below picture, could you please indicate the original source for it?"
I gave the source of the photo in my last reply.
The cited caption in the magazine explicitly sais, it is showing a model of the Yamato, not a photo of the real ship.
Best
Dr_Who2
kind regards
Dr_Who�
Dr_Who�
- Doug Hallet
- Posts: 214
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:43 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
It is definitely the Tamiya 1/350 kit, with a lot of heavy editing in Photo shop. You can tell by the shape and depth of the five airplane/boat hangar exhaust fans located on the hull, which are the exact shape and size as those on the Tamiya kit. Also, note that the person has done the crew members in summer tropical outfits. The "ten-ichi-go" Yamato spent her entire career at Kure in Japanese winter conditions, Dec-April (cold and rainy).
Cheers, Doug
Cheers, Doug
- bucketfoot-al
- Posts: 495
- Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
- Location: The Lone Star State
- Contact:
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Dr_Who2:
Sorry! That's the trouble with skimming posts quickly; either that or my attention span is getting shorter as I age.
Sorry! That's the trouble with skimming posts quickly; either that or my attention span is getting shorter as I age.
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
- Doug Hallet
- Posts: 214
- Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:43 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
It appears the Otokotachi no-Yamato movie was released in the UK late last year under the title "Pacific Battleship Yamato"

I'm assuming no differences from the Japanese release other than subtitles. Note the pic of USS Missouri used on the cover....
Region II PAL, so you would still need an all-regions DVD player to see it in the US or Canada.

I'm assuming no differences from the Japanese release other than subtitles. Note the pic of USS Missouri used on the cover....
Region II PAL, so you would still need an all-regions DVD player to see it in the US or Canada.
