Calling all Yamato (大和) and Musashi (武蔵) fans

Battleships and Battlecruisers of all nations and eras.
BB and BC.

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey

Post Reply
User avatar
bucketfoot-al
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: The Lone Star State
Contact:

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by bucketfoot-al »

Bully for you Doug!

As far as the "right-wing" in Japan's assessment of the softness of the rest of the populace, its basically a truthful observation of what has happened in the entire West since WW2.

*Off-topic meanderings edited out*
Last edited by bucketfoot-al on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Senkan »

OK...now back to the surrealistic world of my 1/200 Nichimo Yamato. Almost done with the deck planks and just redid the barbettes to accomodate Harry O's wide ass upgrade turrets. About to tackle the aircraft deck and trying to figure out how to add the lines to the forecastle deck over the treat plate. Just ordered 30 of Harry O's 25mm triple guns and also ordered 30 GPM 25mm PE gun parts (going to need a new pair of nerves and glasses after this is done). Thinking of ways to put rivets on the superstructure. Wondering if the life boats were discarded along with the other wood on the ship before the final launch and if so why add the boats to my model (April 7 1945 version). Having second thoughts of putting putty to correct the lower bridge tower. Having issues making corners and this Squadren green putty likes to crack. I need to make the new AA controllers. I've never really worked with PE and Im worried about warped guard rails and ladders. I dont want to mention the rigging and having to find the right size anchor chain.

And on the horizon... a 1/250 Arii Yamato, a 1/350 and 1/700 Tamiya Yamato (both w/Lionroar PE supersets), and a perspective Space Battleship Yamato model Id like to make look like the live action ship (having a hard time finding drawings of the ship for reference). Going to be a fun year. :thumbs_up_1:
Last edited by Senkan on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Senkan »

I wonder if Hood fans out there are envious of power like this. I'm envious of the Hoods slim 95' beam (32 feet less than Yamato). Would have saved me a lot of time planking this beast. :heh:
Attachments
22111main.jpg
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Senkan »

More horror pics...
Attachments
Hindsite says I shouldn't have cut this.  Had to put styrene to support the putty in the open area.
Hindsite says I shouldn't have cut this. Had to put styrene to support the putty in the open area.
I call this pic Frankenputty.  Scary Squadron Green Putty.  Needs another layer of putty to cover cracks.
I call this pic Frankenputty. Scary Squadron Green Putty. Needs another layer of putty to cover cracks.
I like the shape of this but still a lot of work to do.
I like the shape of this but still a lot of work to do.
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
User avatar
bucketfoot-al
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: The Lone Star State
Contact:

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by bucketfoot-al »

Sorry for going off-topic there, Senkan. Fixed it now. :Oops_1:

Nice work with that wood planking - (takes cap off). Yes, the GM PE 25 cals will strain the nerves - they require plenty of patience and a lot of focus. Been there, done that. :big_grin:

As far as the boats go, yes they were all removed prior to April 1945. Same with the crane tower (the crane arm was left in place.)

Nice work with Harry's turrets and widened barbettes. Look forward to seeing more updates.
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Senkan »

Thanks for the info Vlad. Didn't think they kept the boats. Bought the Lionroar 1/350 Yamato superset and it comes with some nice resin motorboats. Since it doesn't look like I'll be needing them if someone would like to trade me something I'd be up for it. I need 1/200, 1/250, 1/350, and 1/700 Yamato parts.
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
User avatar
Doug Hallet
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:43 pm

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Doug Hallet »

Senkan, green putty is not going to work for large areas unless its spread very thin - you'll want to work your new slopes with plastic sheeting and just use the putty to fill in the gaps around the corners. Whether or not you portray boats depends on if your ship is at sea or anchor. Yamato probably carried them right through to the end (had to keep up the pretense that it was not a suicide mission) but of course they'd all be stowed out of sight while under way. Bear in mind that the vast majority of Yamato's career was spend sitting idly at anchor, contributing very little to the vast amount of time and energy that went into building her.
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Senkan »

Hey Doug. Im learning the hard way regarding the green putty. Thanks for the tip and I'll see what I can do with some styrene.

One of the reasons Yamato and Musashi were kept in port was because they didnt want the US to find out about them. They wanted to surprise the US at the climatic Jutland type engagment. Baka! They should have known the longer they wait the better chance to lose surprise and the upper hand. Oh well...hindsite.

Best of luck.
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
User avatar
bucketfoot-al
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: The Lone Star State
Contact:

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by bucketfoot-al »

Senkan - I am unfamiliar with "green putty", but I can highly recommend the blue/yellow kneadite tape (putty) that I use in my other hobby modeling. I would have used it on my Nichimo as well except I didn't know about it when I built her. Its very pliable and has a long working time - no cracking and can be sanded easily.

The best deal on it is from Brookhurst Hobbies - here's the link:

http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/Produc ... 00023&N=10
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Senkan »

Well I just got my GPM 1/200 25 mm triple AA guns. Getting these reminds me of the guy in the Divinci code that whips himself...and likes it. 30+PE parts per gun. Even looks like Im going to need to scratch build some of it as well.

Did something else I might regret. Was having a hard time finding affordable metal barrels for my 1/250 Arii Yamato. So bought some off scale barrels from JB models that might work.
Attachments
1/350 200 mm  IJN crusier guns to act as Yamato's 155mm...
1/350 200 mm IJN crusier guns to act as Yamato's 155mm...
1/200 105mm  German guns to use as the 127mm.  Only had 10 of these so I'll see how they look before I get more.
1/200 105mm German guns to use as the 127mm. Only had 10 of these so I'll see how they look before I get more.
1/400 40 mm US AA guns to act as 25 mm AA.  Got 60 of these for use in 20 of the shielded turrets.
1/400 40 mm US AA guns to act as 25 mm AA. Got 60 of these for use in 20 of the shielded turrets.
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
User avatar
bucketfoot-al
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: The Lone Star State
Contact:

Yamato T-Shirt Ideas

Post by bucketfoot-al »

Hey fellas - I have been inspired by that Japanese link to look into making our own Yamato silk-screen shirt.

My initial ideas are for a Yamato silhouette on the front with the name, possibly the ships specifications/armament listed on back, with the Japanese symbol for Yamato possibly on the sleeve. I have yet to price all this out online, so I am throwing out ideas.

The other idea is for a photo-shirt featuring the colorized Yamato photo you can view on my website, with the rising sun and symbols for "Yamato" in the background. Again, I have not priced this out yet, but it would be more expensive than the basic design above.

What do y'all think? Would you get one? Let me know ...

Thanks,

Vlad
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Planking Wood decks and Using Stains and CA Glue

Post by Senkan »

DON'T DO IT!

Just stained my deck with this stuff called Age it Easy. Used both gray and brown. I think the results would have been Ok if it wasn't or the glue.

The stain won't apply to glue. I sanded the deck and then applied a coat of brown...had way to many non effected spots. Most along the lines of the planks that only show bare wood. I sanded some of these spots and applied a layer of gray. Well the sanded spots remained the same and as a whole the gray pronounced all the non stained area's. If any of you have seen Shin1966's 1/200 Musashi deck build you will see what happened to my deck.

So it looks like Im going to have to paint the deck...unless someone else has a better idea. :mad_2:
Attachments
Shin1966's deck
Shin1966's deck
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
User avatar
bucketfoot-al
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: The Lone Star State
Contact:

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by bucketfoot-al »

Well, the deck was painted "jet black" for Ten-ichi-go according to Yoshida. Of course the color would vary due to uneven application and the absorption differences in individual wood planks.

As an aside, how would you go about painting the deck "jet black" but brush in some slight variation - what colors would you use?

(This is not an idle question - I have a customized waterline 1/144 Yamato in progress in the garage - well, OK, its been almost 2 years since I last worked on it, but I am warming up to the idea again - and I intend to paint the deck "jet black" but obviously want some variation ...)
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
User avatar
sgtryan13
Posts: 2651
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:48 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by sgtryan13 »

Wait, is that a deck you planked individually that came out like that? If so, man I am sorry for you, that sucks! The result of glue vs/stain, not your skills obviously!

I am really glad I saw this, at your expense unfortunately, I had been tossing around the idea of some type of stain on my 1/200 Yamato when I finish planking the deck, and that pic just made the decision easy for me, I am leaving well enough alone! As much as I am looking forward to finishing my commission build of the USS Truman (which is why I have not worked on the Yamato in 5 or 6 months, I am really not looking forward to continuing on with the planking of the Yamato. I keep hoping I wake up one morning and the modeling fairies have finished the planking for me!
Enlisted men are stupid, but very cunning and deceitful and bear considerable watching." - Marine Corps Officers Manual, 1894

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Senkan »

I have included 2 pics of the deck in 2 different stages....It doesnt look that bad from a distance or at an angle but...

I was going to add a second coat of grey to add more darkness but no need since I can't get the stain into the glue zones. The glue zones are caused when the glue comes all the way through the wood. This probably would have worked if I was working with a one piece deck with a spray on adhesive.

Im not really upset. I just look at this as another hurdle to jump and there are a lot of hurdles to jump with the 1/200 Nichimo Yamato. I had an idea this would happen. Just wish I could have all the time back it took to cut and paste all that wood.

Now I need to find a good color paint to use. Im not going jet black. Have a hard time seeing wood jet black even with black stain. Probably going with a gray/dark brown or maybe dark gray.
Attachments
First coat.....brown
First coat.....brown
After second coat...gray
After second coat...gray
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Senkan »

Im thinking of this color for the deck...
Attachments
Hopeful deck color  :)
Hopeful deck color :)
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
User avatar
aleccap
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:03 am
Location: 3rd rock from the Sun
Contact:

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by aleccap »

A very large ship taking very sharp turns.
11_yamato.jpg
Was the AA as good as it was suppose to be ?
User avatar
bucketfoot-al
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: The Lone Star State
Contact:

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by bucketfoot-al »

If you are referring to the 52 triple-barrel mounts of .25 mm AA machine guns that she carried for Ten-ichi-go, the answer is no. They look great on a model, but in practice they were a bust.

The problems were as follows:

1. Poorly trained crews and poor organization - instead of organized and planned fire, the AA crews pretty much all fired independently, greatly reducing the efficiency and effectiveness of the fire;

2. Smaller .25 mm bullets (as opposed to the .40 mm AA bullets fired by the USN Bofors guns) were largely ineffective due to the superior armor that USN planes carried; The USN lost 10 planes out of about 385 that participated in the engagement, with several dozen more that made it back to the carriers and were subsequently pushed over the side due to the damage they sustained. Evidence that while the sheer enormity of Yamato's AA fire DID manage to hit a lot of USN planes, it was not particularly effective in downing them.

3. The machine guns had to be loaded manually with three magazines fitted on top of each mount by a crewman - this reduced the rate of fire - a belt-fed system like the USN used would have been an improvement;

4. The .25 mm guns were only effective against aircraft (if I remember this correctly from Tully's book) within about 2500 feet.

On the plus side, yes, that photo is a beautiful example of the tight turning radius that Yamato and Musashi were capable of achieving. For battleships, they could indeed "turn on a dime."

However, when (as Yoshida put it) "twenty torpedo tracks" close in on you at the same time ... well ... its all over ...
Last edited by bucketfoot-al on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
User avatar
Timmy C
Posts: 12473
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Timmy C »

Just a point of semantics, 25mm and 40mm should probably not be referred to as ".25 cal" or ".40 cal", as that is mixing whole measurement systems.
De quoi s'agit-il?
User avatar
bucketfoot-al
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm
Location: The Lone Star State
Contact:

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by bucketfoot-al »

Thanks Timmy. Corrections made.
bucketfoot-al
Creator of the Yamato/Musashi Archive Photo Gallery
https://battleshipyamato.com
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Post Reply

Return to “Battleships”