Calling all Yamato (大和) and Musashi (武蔵) fans

Battleships and Battlecruisers of all nations and eras.
BB and BC.

Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey

Post Reply
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Senkan »

Would have been nice if when they did the refit in early '44 they would have taken out the 5"/40 and put in 24 3.9"/65. That would have been nice. I mean come on. Oyodo has them and not Yamato...BAH! :thinking:
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
EJFoeth
Posts: 2936
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by EJFoeth »

Well, I guess they don't grow on trees.
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Senkan »

The Gun Tree :joker:
Attachments
coconut_tree_gun.JPG
Last edited by Senkan on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
User avatar
navydavesof
Posts: 3127
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:38 pm

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by navydavesof »

On the topic of the Yamato, I work with a bunch of Japanese here at Yokosuka. They are very proud of the Yamato. I spent about 2 hours talking to one of my Japanese co-workers about Yamato, and these guys know all kinds of stuff about her. They have really cool books about the actual construction of the ships, blueprints, armor arrangements, etc. It's amazing how much the Japanese still know about these ships.

They are very proud of what their people were able to achieve 70 years ago, and they should be.
Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
Dan K
Posts: 9093
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
Location: New York City

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Dan K »

Glad to hear that, though not surprising, given how much attention is given to these ships in hobby and film.
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Hey Ryan

Post by Senkan »

Hey Ryan. Maybe you can finish your Yamato deck and shellac it if you want it to have that new look. Not sure how shellac can be painted over but damn...you want to lose all that work and frustration? Gotta be a way.

I just got some paint Im going to try on my unstainable deck. Seems to be the color I want..Espresso Brown! :joker: Just hope that the wood will show through. I was thinking of going the dark gray route but I don't want my deck to blend in with the the hull.
Attachments
Is this the savior or will the planks be coming off?
Is this the savior or will the planks be coming off?
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Senkan »

Well I painted the deck. That paint is cheap and comes out too fast. The satin finish did good on the wood but once again the areas with glue are a problem. They show as glossy marks. Looks like Im going to have to prime the deck prior to another coat. Probably sand again before I prime. At least Im learning.
Attachments
Actual color is darker.
Actual color is darker.
You can see the glossy marks caused by the glue.
You can see the glossy marks caused by the glue.
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
User avatar
sgtryan13
Posts: 2651
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:48 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by sgtryan13 »

The glossy marks don't look all that bad, maybe just a coat of clear flat over it after a bit of pastel weathering pigments instead of another thick layer of paint? Or how about LIGHTLY sanding over the whole deck to bring some of the underlaying colors out from beneath the espresso color?

I am not going to spray anything over my planked deck, I really like how it looks and how the individual planks stand out. I know the color is not accurate, but since this is for my collection, and not for a customer, I much prefer the inaccuracy of color over losing some of the look of all the work I did planking the deck in the first place.
Enlisted men are stupid, but very cunning and deceitful and bear considerable watching." - Marine Corps Officers Manual, 1894

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Senkan »

If I sand it to get detail Im afraid the glue effected parts will show a pale wood color. If I dull coat it Im thinking it will still show as different textures. I'll zap it with some dull coat before I do anything else to see.

Wonder how much it would cost to get a piece of basswood the size of the deck scribed...hmmmmmm.

Ryan Im glad you are keeping the deck as is. Also glad you dont have to go through what I am going through. At least some good is coming out of this.
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
User avatar
Atma
Posts: 3134
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Atma »

sgtryan13 wrote:
I am not going to spray anything over my planked deck, I really like how it looks and how the individual planks stand out.
Thats a temptation I always face when I look those planks on the deck my self :)
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Senkan »

I had always wanted to stain the planks. Would have been better had I gone with a wood scribed deck cover or whole wood deck replacement. So if you want to the stain a deck...don't use thin wood planks...if the glue goes all the way through you wont be able to stain it. Im going to look into the deck cover and the replacement deck.

Here is a pic of one of the tests I did before the deck was stained the.
Attachments
decktry.JPG
decktry.JPG (4.32 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
User avatar
Senkan
Posts: 586
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Off Topic...Pro Modeller Weather Wash

Post by Senkan »

I had gotten the Pro Modeller Weather Wash Dark almost a year ago. The owner had made a couple videos that showed how easy it would be to use. Thought it would add some highlights to my 1/200 Yamato so I got a bottle. Well I didn't open and test the stuff and let it sit for about 9 months. When I opened it up the black had seperated from the liquid and was in clumps. Putting a cotton swab in the bottle got me a glop of tar that wouldn't come off. Went to their web site and looked at their FAQ. At the very bottom it says if you have an older version of the wash it might do this and I should add dish detergent and that would work. It didn't. I didnt have the old version..I had the new and it still happened. Emailed the owner and was told to microwave the stuff so I did. Nothing happened. Still black tar sitting at the bottom of the bottle.

Im probably going to spend more money and purchase another bottle since I like what it does. But I will test it when I get it and will use as much as I can before it goes bad.

Anyone else have an issue with this stuff?

UPDATE: Just found out Flory Models (Pro Modeller) has put out a dry pigment that can be added to water to get the same product offered in a liquid bottle. This should resolve the issues I have been having with their mixed product. I wonder if they came out with this to solve the seperating issues they are having?
Attachments
Tar in water
Tar in water
PMBlackW.JPG (22.55 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
Guest

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Guest »

Please can somebody help about this... Does anybody have some drawing of location of the kingston valves and other openings in the lover hull (underwater part) for Yamato/Musashi, and also Shinano the carrier? I would certainly like to show them on my 1/700 models of Yamato and Shinano (now under construction). If it is more convenient you can answer to my email mandel97ua@yahoo.com. Many thanks in advance!

P.S. Just in order not to create multiple similar posts while it can be avoided: I'm also interested in the same kind of scheme for the US Iowa-class BBs... in some books, some drawings shows such details, but just a bit and mainly in the stern half of the hull, and only such ones that can be seen on a sideview...
User avatar
Atma
Posts: 3134
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Atma »

Here is some pictures of early IJN Yamato projects(A-140 Project) during mid '20's. Enjoy :smallsmile:
Link 1:http://xoomer.virgilio.it/bk/NWS/Imperi ... 40gif.html
Link 2:http://xoomer.virgilio.it/bk/NWS/Imperi ... l/Db2.html
Link 3:http://xoomer.virgilio.it/bk/NWS/Imperi ... gerer.html
Last edited by Atma on Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Atma
Posts: 3134
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Atma »

User avatar
Atma
Posts: 3134
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Atma »

The IJN Yamato in 1/500 with complete photo etc parts by Fujimi is out.
Link:http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10139717
Notice that the IJN Yamato is a 1944 version.
Enjoy.
User avatar
rdh
Toms Modelworks
Toms Modelworks
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:40 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by rdh »

If anyone happens to have either of these 1/700 Tamiya kits (113 Yamato or 114 Musashi, I believe)could you email me scans of the instruction sheets? They don't have to be perfect, just legible.
email is Tomsmodelworks (at) aol.com
Thanks!
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- William Shedd
User avatar
Timmy C
Posts: 12473
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Timmy C »

Hey Richard, Hobby Search has the limited edition movie version of the Yamato kit scanned - presumably the instructions are the same: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10046715
De quoi s'agit-il?
User avatar
rdh
Toms Modelworks
Toms Modelworks
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:40 pm
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by rdh »

Thank you again, sir! I am re-working the instruction sheet for set 749 Yamato/Musashi and wanted to cross-reference the new Fujimi kits with the Tamiya kits. Stayed up late but it's all done now! Thanks !
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- William Shedd
User avatar
Timmy C
Posts: 12473
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans

Post by Timmy C »

Glad I could help!
De quoi s'agit-il?
Post Reply

Return to “Battleships”