Calling all Yamato (大和) and Musashi (武蔵) fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Senkan :Might Purchase:
1/500 Fujimi Yamato
You have to purchase this diamond. Amazing detail.
1/500 Fujimi Yamato
You have to purchase this diamond. Amazing detail.
- Senkan
- Posts: 586
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
- Location: Virginia
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
I probably will Atma. But I have a lot on my plate right now so I can wait and look for a diamond of a deal. 
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Hurry up to get the PE IJN Yamato from Fujimi, it come with everything you will need.
- navydavesof
- Posts: 3127
- Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:38 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
I may be missing it, but is the 1/500 Super IJN Yamato going to be offered elsewhere, or is the above link the only source?Atma wrote:A Super IJN Yamato (51 cm main guns) is out this summer in 1/500 by Fujimi.
Link:http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ61004
Thanks!
Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Of course not, almost every online vendor with Fujimi models will sell it.
- navydavesof
- Posts: 3127
- Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:38 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Thanks, Atma. I did not see it on either the freetimehobbies or pacificfront sites yet. I thought, like the Roma, it might be listed for pre-order already. They must not have it available for preorder. I am very happy to hear that it will be widely available.Atma wrote:Of course not, almost every online vendor with Fujimi models will sell it.
I work with a lot of Japanese at work, and as I have asked them what their favorite ship of all ships in the world was, the majority of them say "Yamato!".
The 1/700 is rather small, and 1/350 is so big that sometimes there is no place to put it. At approximately 20 inches, 1/500 idea is a great scale. I think this will make a very good model to build for the group of them.
Thanks for the help.
Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
-
Haanaya
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:53 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 8:53 pm
Posts: 3
Hi All,
I am doing research on Yamato, thinking of building my own large scale model (Based on final configuration) and I have hit an interesting puzzle. I know reliable info is not always easy to come by with the Yamato, but I have Janusz Skulski's amazing book 'Yamato, Anatomy of the ship', and he shows the rear gun platform as two round tubs. I also have a two page set of plans which also show the round placments. The model in the Yamato Museum at Kure-city Hiroshima shows the same platform as a pair of square areas linked by a walkway. I wondered if anyone knows whay the difference and which is right? I am sure there will be many other differences but this one is quite visual.
My personal opinion is the square ones look better but the round ones are more likely to be accurate(?) as the shape conforms to all the other turrets, decks, etc on the ship, them all being round and curvy.
Any opinion or help appreciated on this one,
Thanks!
Posts: 3
Hi All,
I am doing research on Yamato, thinking of building my own large scale model (Based on final configuration) and I have hit an interesting puzzle. I know reliable info is not always easy to come by with the Yamato, but I have Janusz Skulski's amazing book 'Yamato, Anatomy of the ship', and he shows the rear gun platform as two round tubs. I also have a two page set of plans which also show the round placments. The model in the Yamato Museum at Kure-city Hiroshima shows the same platform as a pair of square areas linked by a walkway. I wondered if anyone knows whay the difference and which is right? I am sure there will be many other differences but this one is quite visual.
My personal opinion is the square ones look better but the round ones are more likely to be accurate(?) as the shape conforms to all the other turrets, decks, etc on the ship, them all being round and curvy.
Any opinion or help appreciated on this one,
Thanks!
- Senkan
- Posts: 586
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
- Location: Virginia
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
They were not round...thats old data. AA gun tubes on the main guns were not round either. One of the best books to have is Model Arts Super Illustration Yamato book. You want the one with the blue cover (updated version). Hard to find though.
- Attachments
-
- 10067061.jpg (18.77 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Well your best friend is the E-Bay !
-
Haanaya
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:53 pm
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Many thanks, I will continue to use the 1/10 model in Japan as my guide. I will have a look for that book too, sounds great!
-
P-J
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:53 am
- Location: The Netherlands
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
hi All,
just a brief introduction from a new member.
since I was a little boy there was a huge box at my local modelling store on the top shelve: the Yamato 1/200 from Nichimo.
ever since I saw that huge box I wanted to have it.
I have always been building everything the shop had, jet fighters, WWII fighters, tanks and ships even the occasional car.
since I have a house of my own (with a spare room) I started building again.
with that also came the urge to do more than just the simple plastic kits provided in the box, so I discovered PE.
already done some kits with PE, mostly aircraft, then along came a bonus......and there it was!
the huge box from Nichimo!!! the 1/200 Yamato.....
then I started reading the internet and came across some very impressive builds.
hereby I already wanted to thank all of you for the amazing amount of knowledge about the Yamato and the good reference material.
in the future I will post pics of the build as it comes along.
but for now, here is a pic of my first Yamato build.
a 1/350 Tamiya straight out of the box, no alterations, just build according to the plans provided by Tamiya.
just a brief introduction from a new member.
since I was a little boy there was a huge box at my local modelling store on the top shelve: the Yamato 1/200 from Nichimo.
ever since I saw that huge box I wanted to have it.
I have always been building everything the shop had, jet fighters, WWII fighters, tanks and ships even the occasional car.
since I have a house of my own (with a spare room) I started building again.
with that also came the urge to do more than just the simple plastic kits provided in the box, so I discovered PE.
already done some kits with PE, mostly aircraft, then along came a bonus......and there it was!
the huge box from Nichimo!!! the 1/200 Yamato.....
then I started reading the internet and came across some very impressive builds.
hereby I already wanted to thank all of you for the amazing amount of knowledge about the Yamato and the good reference material.
in the future I will post pics of the build as it comes along.
but for now, here is a pic of my first Yamato build.
a 1/350 Tamiya straight out of the box, no alterations, just build according to the plans provided by Tamiya.
Ships waiting to be build:
1/200 Yamato
1/200 Arizona
1/350 USS Enterprise (almost done)
1/350 USS Rueben James
1/350 USS Hornet
and ofcourse some aircraft are also waiting for that special treatment.
1/200 Yamato
1/200 Arizona
1/350 USS Enterprise (almost done)
1/350 USS Rueben James
1/350 USS Hornet
and ofcourse some aircraft are also waiting for that special treatment.
- Senkan
- Posts: 586
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
- Location: Virginia
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Alright! Another 1/200 Yamato builder. I bet you finish yours before I finish mine. 
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
-
P-J
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:53 am
- Location: The Netherlands
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
don't bet on it!
have to finish a Mustang to clear the desk first.....
and off course the research!!!
have to finish a Mustang to clear the desk first.....
and off course the research!!!
Ships waiting to be build:
1/200 Yamato
1/200 Arizona
1/350 USS Enterprise (almost done)
1/350 USS Rueben James
1/350 USS Hornet
and ofcourse some aircraft are also waiting for that special treatment.
1/200 Yamato
1/200 Arizona
1/350 USS Enterprise (almost done)
1/350 USS Rueben James
1/350 USS Hornet
and ofcourse some aircraft are also waiting for that special treatment.
- sgtryan13
- Posts: 2651
- Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:48 pm
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Ha, that makes 2 of us Senkan! Mine is looking more and more like I should build it in her final burning sinking configuration!
Enlisted men are stupid, but very cunning and deceitful and bear considerable watching." - Marine Corps Officers Manual, 1894
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
- Senkan
- Posts: 586
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
- Location: Virginia
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Ryan, your Yamato looks good. The warped deck sucks! I need to remember to attach the super structure before I install the deck. I just drilled the portholes in the hull and will be adding the hull detail and hopefully painting the hull before fathers day. Course I said the same thing last year...lol.
I was thinking of making a battle scared Yamato...I still might.
My thing is I love Yamato. So I can weather the trials. But if she is just a model to you...then that 1/200 beast is a pain in the arse. Atleast if you're trying to make it look good.
Oh.. I found a 1/200 Yamato for parts on another forums page I might buy. Might try to make that into a commision version (1941). I know. Im insane.
I was thinking of making a battle scared Yamato...I still might.
My thing is I love Yamato. So I can weather the trials. But if she is just a model to you...then that 1/200 beast is a pain in the arse. Atleast if you're trying to make it look good.
Oh.. I found a 1/200 Yamato for parts on another forums page I might buy. Might try to make that into a commision version (1941). I know. Im insane.
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
- sgtryan13
- Posts: 2651
- Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:48 pm
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
That you are even considering building this monstrocity a second time proves you are either a truly dedicated Yamato-holic, or you are truly fit for an insane asylum...or both!
The only wat I would consider this kit for a second go-round is for a commission, and that would be one healthy paycheck for me, new Harley perhaps...
The only wat I would consider this kit for a second go-round is for a commission, and that would be one healthy paycheck for me, new Harley perhaps...
Enlisted men are stupid, but very cunning and deceitful and bear considerable watching." - Marine Corps Officers Manual, 1894
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
Where you guys find all those 1/200 Yamato's and of course the passion to build it !
- Senkan
- Posts: 586
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
- Location: Virginia
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
I bought mine of Ebay. It is the newer reissue. I have no idea what the difference is to old issue. Got it for only $185 brand new.
I had bought the older version back in 1987 for $100 and it survived until my then fiance's son decided to take it to the pond and sink it back in 2001.
I have a google alert set to email me when anything 1/200 yamato shows up. So I found this parts model on another forum. Sad thing is my wallet and my credit/debit cards were stolen out of my car last week and I have yet to pay the guy. Probably thinks Im trying to scam him.
I need that model! I tried to correct Nichimo's superstructure tower and don't really want to mess with it. So Im going to use the spare SS. The spare kit doesnt come with the central deck so i'll have to make one if I want to make what I hope will be a 1941 version on Yamato. Or I might just save myself the aggravation and just throw it together and see if I can find some cheap RC controls.
Ive been into Yamato since way back in 1979 when I saw Star Blazers. I remembered they called the ship Yamato and hit the library. I was 13 when I built Tamiya's 1/700 Yamato and 16 when I built Tamiya's 1/350 Yamato. Of course nothing like what folks have made on here. Used to buy metal 1/2400 and 1/1200 Yamato's from Alnavaco and C & C and GHQ. Ah the good ol days.
I had bought the older version back in 1987 for $100 and it survived until my then fiance's son decided to take it to the pond and sink it back in 2001.
I have a google alert set to email me when anything 1/200 yamato shows up. So I found this parts model on another forum. Sad thing is my wallet and my credit/debit cards were stolen out of my car last week and I have yet to pay the guy. Probably thinks Im trying to scam him.
Ive been into Yamato since way back in 1979 when I saw Star Blazers. I remembered they called the ship Yamato and hit the library. I was 13 when I built Tamiya's 1/700 Yamato and 16 when I built Tamiya's 1/350 Yamato. Of course nothing like what folks have made on here. Used to buy metal 1/2400 and 1/1200 Yamato's from Alnavaco and C & C and GHQ. Ah the good ol days.
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
- Atma
- Posts: 3134
- Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm
- Location: Oslo, Norway
Re: Calling all IJN Yamato & Musashi fans
I was happy enough when I found on E-Bay the 1/700 conversion set for IJN Musashi 1944 from Pit-Road, that special release was limited and I never had the chance to buy it when it came out.
Now I need to finnish my RM Roma and find time to make a long wanted project of IJN Musahi in 1944 based on a Fujimi kit.
Compared to the 1944 1/700 IJN Musashi by Fujimi, the Pit-Road kit has better detailed platforms and AA directors, not too happy with the searchlights and the triple 25 mm AA guns but Im gonna use the FineMolds set anyway.
Now I need to finnish my RM Roma and find time to make a long wanted project of IJN Musahi in 1944 based on a Fujimi kit.
Compared to the 1944 1/700 IJN Musashi by Fujimi, the Pit-Road kit has better detailed platforms and AA directors, not too happy with the searchlights and the triple 25 mm AA guns but Im gonna use the FineMolds set anyway.
- Senkan
- Posts: 586
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:11 pm
- Location: Virginia
I/200 Yamato Hull
Since there isnt a lot of action going on on this thread I thought I would post pics of my 1/200 Yamato hull. I had used foil tape over the hull to replicate hull plating but I ended up taking it off and going with a more dramatic look. I used chipboard for the plating. I will be sealing the board this weekend with Future. I will be adding the degaussing cable after that and then adding portholes and porthole covers (made from chipboard using a holepunch). I have 1mm rhinestones on order for the hull rivets. And then I get to paint the large thing.
Building 1/200 Nichi.'45
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=152105