Calling all Japanese pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine fans
Moderators: BB62vet, MartinJQuinn, Timmy C, Gernot, Olaf Held, Dan K, HMAS, ModelMonkey
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
- doog_k
- Posts: 187
- Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:29 pm
- Location: Edinburgh
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Gentlemen
Thanks you very much for these, they are super resources.
I was aware the ships were different classes but, yes, given my Akitsushima and Nisshin I'm considering a seaplane-tender build. I'll look through all of these and get a hold of the book. Between these I'm sure I can draw a reasonable "stand-off" 1/144th plan for R/C.
Again, my thanks to you all
Thanks you very much for these, they are super resources.
I was aware the ships were different classes but, yes, given my Akitsushima and Nisshin I'm considering a seaplane-tender build. I'll look through all of these and get a hold of the book. Between these I'm sure I can draw a reasonable "stand-off" 1/144th plan for R/C.
Again, my thanks to you all
On the Slips:
1/144th Stand-off scale:
IJN Nisshin
HMAS Albatross
Keels laid: IJN Tone
Frames laid 1/25: DDR KleineSchnellBoot
http://www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Edinburg ... 2565540179
1/144th Stand-off scale:
IJN Nisshin
HMAS Albatross
Keels laid: IJN Tone
Frames laid 1/25: DDR KleineSchnellBoot
http://www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Edinburg ... 2565540179
-
randar
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 12:13 pm
- Location: Warsaw, Poland
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hi all !
I'm the new one, so I want to say hello !
Great photos and drawings shown by @ Ron and @ Gilbert ( thank you !! ) bring me to post this reply.
For some time I try to build my own Kamikawa Maru, in 1:200 scale. I know, that will be a little bit of science-fiction model. Lack of good drawings, some photos, but I have a fun with building this mysterious ship.
I wonder like @doog_k if there is anything more than little plan in Mr Motoyuki Iwashige's great book, which I get some time ago.
Some of sources says, that Kamikawa was equipped by two twin 25mm guns, as her sisters. Mr Ivashige's 1:700 plastic model , from mentioned above book do have this guns. But her drawing, contained on page 83, shows that there are no guns, but boats, as on drawing shown above by @Gilbert. Her TROM contained on Nihon Kaigun web page says about her conversion on 15th of Nov '39 only this : "Completes conversion to a 17-knot 6,853-ton seaplane carrier/tender. Six Ten Year type 120-mm (4.7-inch)/45 cal. high angle guns are installed." So I wonder were there finally 25mm twins or no ?
Another curious case are the tracks for trolleys transporting seaplanes. We can see them here also on fore deck, by contrast to book, where they are absent. What do you think about them ?
Below you can see my Kamikawa as she look few days ago.
http://www.randar.republika.pl/kamikawa/kamizz5.jpg
Replacing 5 by 3 and 4 in above adress you can see two other pictures. Your comments are highly appreciated.
Most enigmatic for me was her hull below the waterline. To construct her shaft and rudder fixing I used plan of Hayasui tanker. Like I said, I had to improvise
Best regards
randar
I'm the new one, so I want to say hello !
For some time I try to build my own Kamikawa Maru, in 1:200 scale. I know, that will be a little bit of science-fiction model. Lack of good drawings, some photos, but I have a fun with building this mysterious ship.
I wonder like @doog_k if there is anything more than little plan in Mr Motoyuki Iwashige's great book, which I get some time ago.
Some of sources says, that Kamikawa was equipped by two twin 25mm guns, as her sisters. Mr Ivashige's 1:700 plastic model , from mentioned above book do have this guns. But her drawing, contained on page 83, shows that there are no guns, but boats, as on drawing shown above by @Gilbert. Her TROM contained on Nihon Kaigun web page says about her conversion on 15th of Nov '39 only this : "Completes conversion to a 17-knot 6,853-ton seaplane carrier/tender. Six Ten Year type 120-mm (4.7-inch)/45 cal. high angle guns are installed." So I wonder were there finally 25mm twins or no ?
Another curious case are the tracks for trolleys transporting seaplanes. We can see them here also on fore deck, by contrast to book, where they are absent. What do you think about them ?
Below you can see my Kamikawa as she look few days ago.
http://www.randar.republika.pl/kamikawa/kamizz5.jpg
Replacing 5 by 3 and 4 in above adress you can see two other pictures. Your comments are highly appreciated.
Most enigmatic for me was her hull below the waterline. To construct her shaft and rudder fixing I used plan of Hayasui tanker. Like I said, I had to improvise
Best regards
randar
-
Dan K
- Posts: 9093
- Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am
- Location: New York City
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
It's looking pretty good to me.
-
Ron Wolford
- Posts: 36
- Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:27 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hello Randar
Here are some pictures of the Kimikawa Maru, operating as a Sea-Plane Tender. They are from The Maru Special "Japanese Naval Vessels #25". As you can see, the Sea-Plane rails, were a enclosed box elevated above the deck. I do not know if the Kamikawa Maru was the same, or as on the Sagara Maru where only the rails were their without any box around them? I hope this help you out, and please post more photos of your build, Thanks
Ron Wolford
Kamikawa Maru
http://i56.tinypic.com/119phyf.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/2qn06qd.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/2hq9on9.jpg
Sagara Maru
http://i56.tinypic.com/
Here are some pictures of the Kimikawa Maru, operating as a Sea-Plane Tender. They are from The Maru Special "Japanese Naval Vessels #25". As you can see, the Sea-Plane rails, were a enclosed box elevated above the deck. I do not know if the Kamikawa Maru was the same, or as on the Sagara Maru where only the rails were their without any box around them? I hope this help you out, and please post more photos of your build, Thanks
Ron Wolford
Kamikawa Maru
http://i56.tinypic.com/119phyf.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/2qn06qd.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/2hq9on9.jpg
Sagara Maru
http://i56.tinypic.com/
-
Ron Wolford
- Posts: 36
- Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:27 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Here is the picture of the Sagara Maru.


-
randar
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 12:13 pm
- Location: Warsaw, Poland
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hello
@Ron big thank you for posting this great pictures. Some of them are completly new for me. They are very useful, even this is Kimikawa, because of some details of deck equipment, which I can use to my build.
As you wrote, there are two different rails mounts. First - directly to deck ( as on Sakawa Maru ) and second - lying on the platforms as on Kimikawa.
I suppose there is connection with assembly method of rails with that how mounted was catapult. Catapult on Sagara Maru was mounted on deck,just as Kamikawa Maru had. Also rails are on the deck. Kimikawa Maru's catapult was mounted on special sponson on starboard, and I think this catapult was a little bit higher mounted. This resulted that hers seaplanes had to be loaded on higher level and there was need to add special platforms under the rails to bring planes.
Today there is nothing new to present on my build. I do slowly plates on ship sides, I need few days to complete this. I promise that I will back when progress will be higher.
regards
randar
@Ron big thank you for posting this great pictures. Some of them are completly new for me. They are very useful, even this is Kimikawa, because of some details of deck equipment, which I can use to my build.
As you wrote, there are two different rails mounts. First - directly to deck ( as on Sakawa Maru ) and second - lying on the platforms as on Kimikawa.
I suppose there is connection with assembly method of rails with that how mounted was catapult. Catapult on Sagara Maru was mounted on deck,just as Kamikawa Maru had. Also rails are on the deck. Kimikawa Maru's catapult was mounted on special sponson on starboard, and I think this catapult was a little bit higher mounted. This resulted that hers seaplanes had to be loaded on higher level and there was need to add special platforms under the rails to bring planes.
Today there is nothing new to present on my build. I do slowly plates on ship sides, I need few days to complete this. I promise that I will back when progress will be higher.
regards
randar
- reigels
- Posts: 795
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:25 pm
- Location: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
After a little time off, I've made some progress on my 1:700 Type 2A standard freighter. This is my first scratchbuild intended to duplicate in resin, and has had a few little bumps in development, but so far I'm pleased with the results. The main deckhouse is cast in all one piece, which with bridgewings and walkways on the back is proving to be a little difficult to mold. Duplicating the hull actually is turning out to be easier than I expected, with 5 good copies so far and no rejects.



Comments welcome.



Comments welcome.
Last edited by reigels on Sat May 28, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Scott
- Quincy
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
- Location: Monson, MA.
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Wow Scott, that is reeeeeaaaallyyyyyy nice!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob Pink.
Bob Pink.
- Gilbert
- L'Arsenal

- Posts: 914
- Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:55 pm
- Location: 64700 Hendaye, FRANCE
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
+1Quincy wrote:Wow Scott, that is reeeeeaaaallyyyyyy nice!!!!!!!!!!!!![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Bob Pink.
Gilbert
- janschu
- Posts: 141
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:36 pm
- Location: Germany
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hello Scott,
your Type 2A Standard transports look beautiful!
It looks like you have made two types of hulls, one fully loaded and one partially loaded, a nce idea!
I guess you have used the line drawings of Motoyuki san�s second book.
Now i have some questions concerning your masters. Are the deckshouses (front and rear) and the
cargo hatches separate parts? That would make the painting easier. Since there were two versions,
one with narrow cargo hatches and the other with wider hatches, it would be better if these hatches
come as separate pieces.
By the way, do you plan to make copies?
If yes, i would tke several of them! I think, at least
half a dozen, because i plan to to one of the later convoys!
@Gilbert, thank you for the line drawing of Sagami Maru!
I have just completed reworking
the Fujimi hull (Sado Maru, hull too low, wrong stern shape). A modeller college will do some castings for me
so that i can build the sister ships.
Greetings from the North Sea Coast, Jan
your Type 2A Standard transports look beautiful!
It looks like you have made two types of hulls, one fully loaded and one partially loaded, a nce idea!
I guess you have used the line drawings of Motoyuki san�s second book.
Now i have some questions concerning your masters. Are the deckshouses (front and rear) and the
cargo hatches separate parts? That would make the painting easier. Since there were two versions,
one with narrow cargo hatches and the other with wider hatches, it would be better if these hatches
come as separate pieces.
By the way, do you plan to make copies?
half a dozen, because i plan to to one of the later convoys!
@Gilbert, thank you for the line drawing of Sagami Maru!
the Fujimi hull (Sado Maru, hull too low, wrong stern shape). A modeller college will do some castings for me
so that i can build the sister ships.
Greetings from the North Sea Coast, Jan
- reigels
- Posts: 795
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:25 pm
- Location: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Thanks guys, for the kind words on the 2A�s.
Jan - I�ll be happy to share some copies once I�m happy with the results, although a half dozen may be a stretch. Figured I�d sell or trade a few with the board regulars and post any extras on eBay.
I actually started work on the hull before Motoyuki san�s book came out, although he did post a simplified view here which was very helpful for hatch sizes, etc. and showed that I had made the forepeak too narrow (and I�ve since corrected). The deckhouse was created based on photographs alone, but have since compared them with Motoyuki san�s drawings and I�m pleased with how well they match.
I like the look of the loaded hull. Easy enough to do at any waterline: just use less resin. Could probably do a half sunk version too with a � measure of resin cast on a tilt.
Deck houses are separate pieces. The cargo hatches are attached on the casting since I wanted them to be uniform thickness, but when I molded the master I only attached them with double sided tape, so it�s easy enough to mold another big hatch or no-hatch version. Deck winches are separate since they are in different locations in the two versions (and are a casting concern for air bubbles and mold tears).
Still figuring out the best casting pressure and how to get the best results out of the mold for the deck houses. Masts are also a little tricky since I�m casting a brass rod into them for strength. Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but resin masts are never a good plan.
Jan - I�ll be happy to share some copies once I�m happy with the results, although a half dozen may be a stretch. Figured I�d sell or trade a few with the board regulars and post any extras on eBay.
I actually started work on the hull before Motoyuki san�s book came out, although he did post a simplified view here which was very helpful for hatch sizes, etc. and showed that I had made the forepeak too narrow (and I�ve since corrected). The deckhouse was created based on photographs alone, but have since compared them with Motoyuki san�s drawings and I�m pleased with how well they match.
I like the look of the loaded hull. Easy enough to do at any waterline: just use less resin. Could probably do a half sunk version too with a � measure of resin cast on a tilt.
Deck houses are separate pieces. The cargo hatches are attached on the casting since I wanted them to be uniform thickness, but when I molded the master I only attached them with double sided tape, so it�s easy enough to mold another big hatch or no-hatch version. Deck winches are separate since they are in different locations in the two versions (and are a casting concern for air bubbles and mold tears).
Still figuring out the best casting pressure and how to get the best results out of the mold for the deck houses. Masts are also a little tricky since I�m casting a brass rod into them for strength. Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but resin masts are never a good plan.
-- Scott
-
Graham Boak
- Posts: 255
- Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:49 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
I'd like to express an interest in a 2A kit/parts too, if the numbers cast will run to it.
-
Graham Boak
- Posts: 255
- Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:49 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Niko Kozu Maru as landing craft carrier is now out.
- reigels
- Posts: 795
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:25 pm
- Location: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
I added a little paint to the type 2A Maru and am happy with the results so far:




-- Scott
- janschu
- Posts: 141
- Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:36 pm
- Location: Germany
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hello Scott,
oh i love those green transports!
Have you made any considerations regarding the selling of
your ships? If yes you may send me a PM so we can talk about that. I would really like to purchase some of them!
Greetings from the North Sea Coast, Jan
oh i love those green transports!
your ships? If yes you may send me a PM so we can talk about that. I would really like to purchase some of them!
Greetings from the North Sea Coast, Jan
- Quincy
- Posts: 2221
- Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 am
- Location: Monson, MA.
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
janschu wrote:Hello Scott,
oh i love those green transports!Have you made any considerations regarding the selling of
your ships? If yes you may send me a PM so we can talk about that. I would really like to purchase some of them!
Greetings from the North Sea Coast, Jan
Me too!
Bob Pink.
- reigels
- Posts: 795
- Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:25 pm
- Location: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Found this on eBay and thought it was interesting. Any idea what ships these are?
Note fake bow wave on the one in the foreground.
Item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0399525725

Note fake bow wave on the one in the foreground.
Item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0399525725
-- Scott
-
Jim Smith
- Posts: 155
- Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location: Rayleigh, Essex UK
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Reigels
The photo on e-bay shows a 1944 timeframe so here goes a Long shot. The ship in the background could be Tatsuharu Maru or one of her sisters (Tatsumiya Maru, Tatsuwa Maru) - all operating as APKs in 1944
Iwashige-san's model here:-
http://ww6.enjoy.ne.jp/~iwashige/tatsuharumaru.htm
Ship in the foreground looks like Shinkyo Maru (see Iwashige-san's model) here
http://ww6.enjoy.ne.jp/~iwashige/shinkyomaru.htm
but the twin uprights on both front and rear masts suggest Daigen Maru #2 or one of her sisters (Nittei Maru, Tosei?,Tosyu? or Waka?) - all operating as APK in late 1944
Unfortunately the TROMs I have seen only SUGGEST they may have been together in the Phillipines in 1944 - maybe someone a lot more knowledgeable than me can chip in and correct my assumption.
Hope this helps.
The photo on e-bay shows a 1944 timeframe so here goes a Long shot. The ship in the background could be Tatsuharu Maru or one of her sisters (Tatsumiya Maru, Tatsuwa Maru) - all operating as APKs in 1944
Iwashige-san's model here:-
http://ww6.enjoy.ne.jp/~iwashige/tatsuharumaru.htm
Ship in the foreground looks like Shinkyo Maru (see Iwashige-san's model) here
http://ww6.enjoy.ne.jp/~iwashige/shinkyomaru.htm
but the twin uprights on both front and rear masts suggest Daigen Maru #2 or one of her sisters (Nittei Maru, Tosei?,Tosyu? or Waka?) - all operating as APK in late 1944
Unfortunately the TROMs I have seen only SUGGEST they may have been together in the Phillipines in 1944 - maybe someone a lot more knowledgeable than me can chip in and correct my assumption.
Hope this helps.
-
Ron Wolford
- Posts: 36
- Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:27 pm
Re: Calling All Japanese Pre-war/wartime Merchant Marine Fan
Hello Scott and Jim
First off, Scott, I am also interested in buying one of your models, if you make copies of them to sell. Normally I like the pre war built ships more, but your model is outstanding.
The photo is one of a number of photos from the Fifth Air Force attack on Rabaul on 2 November 1943. The ship in the background is positively identified as the OSK line's Tokyo Maru (6,484GRT). She was ID at the time of the attack and Hisashi Noma discusses the damage the Tokyo Maru sustained during this attack in his book "Japanese Merchant Ship at War: The Story of Mitsui and O.S.K. Liners lost during the Pacific War".
The ship in the foreground may be one of the Iburi Maru class ship (Iburi Maru Isikari Maru and Terusima Maru). I do not have any more information on these ships, so this is just a guess.
Tokyo Maru
http://i54.tinypic.com/2s94scw.jpg
Isikari Maru
Ron Wolford
First off, Scott, I am also interested in buying one of your models, if you make copies of them to sell. Normally I like the pre war built ships more, but your model is outstanding.
The photo is one of a number of photos from the Fifth Air Force attack on Rabaul on 2 November 1943. The ship in the background is positively identified as the OSK line's Tokyo Maru (6,484GRT). She was ID at the time of the attack and Hisashi Noma discusses the damage the Tokyo Maru sustained during this attack in his book "Japanese Merchant Ship at War: The Story of Mitsui and O.S.K. Liners lost during the Pacific War".
The ship in the foreground may be one of the Iburi Maru class ship (Iburi Maru Isikari Maru and Terusima Maru). I do not have any more information on these ships, so this is just a guess.
Tokyo Maru
http://i54.tinypic.com/2s94scw.jpg
Isikari Maru
Ron Wolford